copy / cut / paste operations on clips : Simpler ?

All topics on WaveLab 8 and WaveLab Elements 8
frenchman

copy / cut / paste operations on clips : Simpler ?

Post by frenchman »

Hi,
In montage mode
Why is it that simple multiple copy / cut / paste operations on clips somehow don't work in straightforward fashion ?

If i select three clips, copy them, and paste elsewhere (same Montage or on another, why is it that only one clip appears ?
This is such an universal way of manipulating objects that I dont understand why this shouldn't work in this case
Wavelab is the only audio software I know where these simple edit fonctions don't work in a simple fashion

I know there is a "special" way of doing it but it is not intuitive and I keep forgetting it and the help section is of litttle help

Another annoying thing, there seems to be a new "feature" since a couple of version that is if i delete a CD end of track marker it will delete the start one as well. This can be extremely annoying (having to retype the title and sometimes the cd text and isr) when I decide that finally I don't want a pause and simply want to "merge" the end marker of a track with the start marker of the following track. I am sure there is a reason for this new feature but i wish it wasn't imposed on me :-)
Mark Haliday
Recording/mixing/mastering Engineer, Paris, France

PG

Re: copy / cut / paste operations on clips : Simpler ?

Post by PG »

1) Not sure what you mean. If you select 3 clips, even on different tracks, you can copy them elsewhere, even in a new montage. How do you proceed?

2) I guess 90% of the time you want to remove both markers. But your opinion is also valid. Will see...
Philippe

bob99

Post by bob99 »

frenchman wrote:Another annoying thing, there seems to be a new "feature" since a couple of version that is if i delete a CD end of track marker it will delete the start one as well. This can be extremely annoying (having to retype the title and sometimes the cd text and isr) when I decide that finally I don't want a pause and simply want to "merge" the end marker of a track with the start marker of the following track. I am sure there is a reason for this new feature but i wish it wasn't imposed on me :-)
Frenchman, in the meantime, you can delete CD Track End Markers in the Marker List without deleting the CD Track Start Markers. That still works as it used to.
PG wrote: 2) I guess 90% of the time you want to remove both markers. But your opinion is also valid. Will see...
100% of the time I want to remove only the end markers. I've never wanted to remove both markers when dragging off the end marker. I agree with the others this should be changed back, or optioned.

I know it seems weird because it initially creates an invalid CD track, but that's how a lot of us have gotten used to working with CD markers. I always use CD Wizard initially, normal or splice only, it varies, but there are many cases where I later want to delete End markers without moving or changing anything else (including the start marker), and then manually change following start without moving anything, and I (and the others I think) found this way of doing it the best workflow.
Windows 7, Windows XP

frenchman

Post by frenchman »

" I always use CD Wizard initially, normal or splice only, it varies, but there are many cases where I later want to delete End markers without moving or changing anything else (including the start marker), and then manually change following start without moving anything, and I (and the others I think) found this way of doing it the best workflow."

So do I !
Mark Haliday

WYCA

Post by WYCA »

frenchman wrote: 100% of the time I want to remove only the end markers... I agree with the others this should be changed back,
+1!

Same here. Please change back. Also, related to this thread...

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 89&t=80998

frenchman

Post by frenchman »

PG : "Not sure what you mean. If you select 3 clips, even on different tracks, you can copy them elsewhere, even in a new montage. How do you proceed?"
What I meant is simply that if I "select all clips" or just a few in a cd montage, then Control-C, then Control V elsewhere (same or other montage), only one clip makes the trip. I know there is a workaround for this, but I can never find it when I need it ! Search function in help didn't help me, and frankly, who wants to pick up the manual to know how to cut/copy/paste ? :-)

I have other suggestions but willl create another thread for them
Thanks
Mark
Mark Haliday

PG

Post by PG »

What I meant is simply that if I "select all clips" or just a few in a cd montage, then Control-C, then Control V elsewhere (same or other montage), only one clip makes the trip.
No, all selected clips "make the trip"...
Philippe

frenchman

Post by frenchman »

Ok !
So I stumbled upon something strange : (in montage mode with a dozen of tracks with cd markers
If you select a time range, hitting control-C wont copy all the clips (intuitively it should in my opinion, but this is not the problem here)

IF after selecting a big time range (that includes the whole content) , I go to the clip menu and choose in the "Select" menu, "select clips inside selected time range", the clip list background goes light blue, and if i click on the horizontal scrollbar of the clip window then it goes yellow, as if they where all selected
But in fact only one clip is selected ! Because cut or copy will ony affect one of them
Strangely enough the other commands from the select menu of the clip window work, as long as I don't have a Time Range selected !! Doen't seem to be normal ?
Thanks
mark
Mark Haliday

PG

Post by PG »

The range selection copy function only copies the intersection with the focused clip. This is right (and I admit, a limitation).
But if you select several clips (no range selection), then all clips are copied.
Philippe

Return to “WaveLab 8 | WaveLab Elements 8”