Scratch pad

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 can be posted here.
jules

Scratch pad

Post by jules »

Just saw the presentation of studio one 3 and it have a really interesting new feature i would like to see in cubase 8.5/9. It's called scratch pad. Starts around 3'20 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=109&v=ZALHeAeOjM4
W10 64, Asus prime Z370 a, i7 8700k, 64g ram, ssds, cubase pro 10

claesbjo

Re: Scratch pad

Post by claesbjo »

+1 I like this idea
2010 Mac Pro 6-core 3.33 ghz. 24 mb RAM. osx 10.10.1. Cubase 8.0.20, Logic PRO 10.1

tlockett

Post by tlockett »

This is a Awsome idea, S1 knocked it out of the park with this feature.
Would love to see this in Cubase
+11111 for this feature

richlum

Post by richlum »

Is this a bit like track versions in Cubase? But, with the added ability to see 2 versions at the same time.
Cubase 8.5 Pro 64 bit, Steinberg UR44, Surface Pro 3, Windows 10

TabSel

Post by TabSel »

A combination scratch pad (S1v3) and Mix Recall (Sonar) would be nice.
Track versions share the same timeline, whereas scratch pads have their own timeline.

It's like having multiple arrangements as of old cubase versions years ago...
Last edited by TabSel on Sat May 23, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thurisaz

Post by Thurisaz »

+1 for the scratch pad... Pretty good and useful option in Studio One.
I'm mainly Cubase user, but in my personal opinion Steinberg must pay more attention on what Presonus does in Studio One... after all Studio One is developed by ex-Nuendo and Cubase developers... :-)
Composer, arranger, orchestrator, multi-instrumentalist and sound engineer
Workstation: HP Z820 (2x Xeon Octa-Core E5-2670 @ 2.6GHz, 64GB Ram DDR3 @ 1333MHz)
DAWs: Cubase Pro 10.0.60 / 11.0, Studio One 4.6, Pro Tools 12
Notation: Dorico Pro 3.5.11, Overture 5.6, Sibelius 2019.7
VI Host: Vienna Ensemble Pro 7.0.1056

estrica2000

Post by estrica2000 »

+1
OSX Mavericks, Cubase 7.5.4 64 bit

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

-1 to SB copying Studio One. +1 for SB to come up with their own way of doing this.

There's more to it than what one sees on first glance. A scratch Pad is nice, but in Cubase you can have similar functionality by including the tempo and sig tracks with Track Versions.

A solid implementation of something like this would bring a way to have multiple cues in a project timeline, without having to switch to separate window or pane. This would mean having a way to lock sections of the timeline in a way that would permit making tempo changes to a subsection without the effect of moving events that are further down the timeline, regardless of track time base.

Some of the posts that have popped up here after S1 announced their new version include people saying they would never switch to it, but would just like SB to include the exact feature. Why? Even though Cubase has a steeper learning curve, it has a more mature feature set, and more features.

SB has never been a company that simply copied features from other daws (though I'm sure someone will find a fact to contradict that ;) )

estrica2000

Post by estrica2000 »

SteveInChicago wrote:-1 to SB copying Studio One. +1 for SB to come up with their own way of doing this.

There's more to it than what one sees on first glance. A scratch Pad is nice, but in Cubase you can have similar functionality by including the tempo and sig tracks with Track Versions.

A solid implementation of something like this would bring a way to have multiple cues in a project timeline, without having to switch to separate window or pane. This would mean having a way to lock sections of the timeline in a way that would permit making tempo changes to a subsection without the effect of moving events that are further down the timeline, regardless of track time base.

Some of the posts that have popped up here after S1 announced their new version include people saying they would never switch to it, but would just like SB to include the exact feature. Why? Even though Cubase has a steeper learning curve, it has a more mature feature set, and more features.

SB has never been a company that simply copied features from other daws (though I'm sure someone will find a fact to contradict that ;) )
i agree in half way. Now that there is a good reference make at least equal and if possible a better way. Good ideas are to be developed otherwise we would still not be using wheels.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Didn't i just say that? Studio One isn't the only reference for this kind of idea. Motu Digital Performer has Chunks and Songs, other apps have different ways to accomplish the same thing.

estrica2000

Post by estrica2000 »

what i was trying to "acent" is that there is nothing wrng in copying, everyone copies from others. Something new i would say is the result of copying and a bit of inovation.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Well, let's hope then that they copy all the best parts from all the others, and then add their own special sauce. ;)

estrica2000

Post by estrica2000 »

SteveInChicago wrote:Well, let's hope then that they copy all the best parts from all the others, and then add their own special sauce. ;)
:) yes ! now that i thought a bit it's not so obvious but we can kind of achieve this with setting the Right locator on the left side of the sequence and the Left locator on the right side of the sequence. This skips the time between the locators and this way we can preview how it works with different variations (not so elegant tho)! bahhh is kind of difficult to explain i know you know it, .. maybe someone can explain better.

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

SteveInChicago wrote:
+1

Guys, please read the manual, study to use the software you have, maybe then you'll not make such FR.

Best regards.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

jules

Post by jules »

Winter Rat wrote:
Guys, please read the manual, study to use the software you have, maybe then you'll not make such FR.

Best regards.
Maybe scratch pad is less powerfull, but i'm sorry it's way more handy, and there's space for such a feature in cubase. Putting things appart for later use is something i do on a regular basis, without the feature, and with the hassle. Feel free to not use the feature if ever it comes to appear in cb !
SteveInChicago wrote: SB has never been a company that simply copied features from other daws (though I'm sure someone will find a fact to contradict that ;) )
It's absolutely regrettable, as, firstly, everybody copies steinberg, and secondly their's no need to reinvent the wheel on everything. The strengh an beauty of this scratch pad feature (for exemple) is its simplicity, imo. Overbloated it will lose all its appeal.

estrica2000

Post by estrica2000 »

Winter Rat wrote: Guys, please read the manual, study to use the software you have, maybe then you'll not make such FR.
omg... It's merit of software design if you don't have to read any single page of the manual to make things done.
Also, i would say most (or all) requesters didn't read the S1 manual to to know about this feature, or am i wrong? i don't have to read the manual about the render in place in cubase to know about it, it's there ... designed for that purposed and so featured when was released.
Last edited by estrica2000 on Sat May 23, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

jules wrote:
Maybe scratch pad is less powerfull, but i'm sorry it's way more handy, .
Don't want to argue but what's wrong with Track Versions? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0em82OM ... e=youtu.be
why scratch pad is "way more handy"? Is there anything you can't do with Track Versions in comparison with Scratch Pad? Maybe there are some advantages in the Scrath Pad that will save you hours of work? (in comparison with TV).

Best.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

estrica2000

Post by estrica2000 »

Winter Rat wrote:
jules wrote:
Maybe scratch pad is less powerfull, but i'm sorry it's way more handy, .
Don't want to argue but what's wrong with Track Versions? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0em82OM ... e=youtu.be
why scratch pad is "way more handy"? Is there anything you can't do with Track Versions in comparison with Scratch Pad? Maybe there are some advantages in the Scrath Pad that will save you hours of work? (in comparison with TV).

Best.
track versions is what the name implies, .. a version of a track
scratch pad manage song sections (all tracks) which you can name and then try with the main sequence.
maybe if users maded a 30 seconds search users wouldn't make this kind of comments..

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

Put all your tracks in a folder click Group Editing and manage all tracks. watch the video.
Cubase 9.5

jules

Post by jules »

Winter Rat wrote: Don't want to argue but what's wrong with Track Versions? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0em82OM ... e=youtu.be
Well, nothing is wrong with track version. I suppose it's a matter of taste or a workflow thing, but i find really handy to have a.. herm.. scratch pad (in lack of a better term) on the right of the screen to quickly drag and drop things, then click on an icon and it's gone. Re-click and it's up. I find the whole track version thing usefull, but a bit complicated and conter-intuitive when in the rush and just want to put things aside for later examination. From my point of view, scratch pad is a kind of middle of the road thing you can learn in 10 seconds and use immediately. A draft.
I bet if it's implemented you'll use it. 8-)

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

Sure it's a matter of preferences and "drag'n'drop routine" 8-) . If I were Presonus manager I would call the DAW "Drag'n'Drop" Studio :D .
But frankly saying, TV can do the same trick just like SP. IMHO ;)
Cubase 9.5

estrica2000

Post by estrica2000 »

Winter Rat wrote:Put all your tracks in a folder click Group Editing and manage all tracks. watch the video.
i reallly didn't know about the group editing, .. i apologize for being a bit rude. Seems tho that just the fact that i have to fold the tracks is asking to not try and have surprises. Is not elegant for the let's see what happens , but seems good for the example showed in the video: drums or any instrument that yes makes sense to be folded by nature. Anyway thank you for the heads up!

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

estrica2000 wrote:
i reallly didn't know about the group editing, .. i apologize for being a bit rude. Seems tho that just the fact that i have to fold the tracks is asking to not try and have surprises. Is not elegant for the let's see what happens , but seems good for the example showed in the video: drums or any instrument that yes makes sense to be folded by nature. Anyway thank you for the heads up!
It's OK. When I say "study" I don't want to offend anybody, but I've seen enough in this world to be concrete. ;) . There are a lot of people who don't read the manual and they think that they don't have ability to do some things in CB... The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I just wanna help you to see your abilities. If you want to make music - I wanna help you, if you want to make SB implement features just the way you want it to be - I'm off.
Look at lukasbrooklyn he's perfect in relation of workflow. He is looking for the way to get his job done, he doesn't waste his time waiting for the new feature, he creates new features with macros and AHK. But of course he votes for really NEW features. So do I.

Regards.
Cubase 9.5

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

estrica2000 wrote:
Winter Rat wrote:Put all your tracks in a folder click Group Editing and manage all tracks. watch the video.
Using folder group edit is not the only way... you can also use use the commands in the Project>Track Versions menu to set several tracks to the same ID- then you can control which version you want to work on using the other commands in that menu- Select Tracks with Same ID will select all tracks that have a version with the same ID as the selected track.

Then, your tracks will be in sync as you switch through them using Next and Previous versions commands. (they remain selected, so you might have to change your Track Follows Event Selection pref)

I think it's harder to explain than to actually do.

And, to pick up on what Winter Rat was saying, if you can take the time to experiment with features, there's a lot to discover.

TranceCrafter

Post by TranceCrafter »

This would make an amazing addition to the cubase arsenal.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”