Does C8 Have A Swing Knob?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
Mister_Gibson

Does C8 Have A Swing Knob?

Post by Mister_Gibson »

Hi,
Does Cubase have a swing knob or the equivalent or something to assign a MIDI CC#?
Thank you
Cubase 10::Mac Pro 3,1::El Capitan
Cubase 10.5::Macbook Pro 11,3::Mojave

GargoyleStudio

Re: Does C8 Have A Swing Knob?

Post by GargoyleStudio »

Not a global control. There's quantization settings which can do that, and you can apply quantization to audio or midi data in the project. But this doesn't change the metronome, just the audio or midi on the tracks.

Mike.
[Win10x64 latest, Cb10.5 latest, MOTU PCIe, UAD2, Waves, Soundtoys, O9N, Arturia, Omnisphere]

Mister_Gibson

Post by Mister_Gibson »

Thanks Mike.

Is there a chart showing which quantize values = knob positions or something like that. For instance, MOTU BPM has MPC style swing values: 50%-100%. How does that translate to Cubase Quantize?

teknatronik

Post by teknatronik »

They have a percentage as well... 1/16th 26% and so on.... quantize panel.

Mister_Gibson

Post by Mister_Gibson »

Thanks tekna but matching the % doesn't give the same "feel".

Can I extract the swing from the drum and apply it to the global project? What is such a function called?

Jalcide

Post by Jalcide »

Mister_Gibson wrote:Hi,
Does Cubase have a swing knob or the equivalent or something to assign a MIDI CC#?
Thank you
For MIDI and VST-based instruments you'll find each track's inspector has a "MIDI Inserts" pane. Expand it, select a slot and choose "Quantizer" from the drop-down. There you'll find your Swing control. What nice, is that it's non-destructive (works in realtime).

This is nice for when you need to adjust the groove of several tracks, which all may require slightly different Swing values to sit in the pocket. Non-destructive adjustments on-the-fly makes experimenting easy.
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

4 DAW Network:

Main: Studio One V3 (Cubase Pro 9.0.1 on ice until future update solves some issues), Win 7 64-bit, i7-4790K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX, 16GB, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe (UGT-FW200), CMC Controllers (2 FDs, PD, QC, CH, AI, TP), 2 NI Kontrol F1 Controllers, Roland JD-Xi, rtpMIDI, Bome MIDI Translator Pro

Node 1 - VSTi Hosting via VEP: VEP 6 (& Sonar Platinum), Win 7, i7-4770K @ 4.0Ghz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, NI Kore 1 Controller, rtpMIDI

Node 2 - 16 Channel Stem Summing via VEP: VEP 6, Win 10, i5-4690K 3.9Ghz, Gigabyte Z97MX, 16GB, Intel HD 4600 Gfx, rtpMIDI

Node 3 - 2 Channel Mastering Chain via ADAT Optical: Reaper, Win 7, i5-4670K @ 4.1GHz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Nvidia GeForce 210, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, rtpMIDI

teknatronik

Post by teknatronik »

Jalcide wrote:
Thank you
For MIDI and VST-based instruments you'll find each track's inspector has a "MIDI Inserts" pane. Expand it, select a slot and choose "Quantizer" from the drop-down. There you'll find your Swing control. What nice, is that it's non-destructive (works in realtime).

This is nice for when you need to adjust the groove of several tracks, which all may require slightly different Swing values to sit in the pocket. Non-destructive adjustments on-the-fly makes experimenting easy.
Nice! I have been using midi modifiers to swing things as well.

Mister_Gibson

Post by Mister_Gibson »

Jalcide wrote:
Thank you

That's the ticket.

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france »

Mister_Gibson wrote:Thanks tekna but matching the % doesn't give the same "feel".

Can I extract the swing from the drum and apply it to the global project? What is such a function called?
Yes. It is called Groove Quantize. There is good info about it in the manual, especially on pg. 237.
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn »

Mister_Gibson wrote:Thanks tekna but matching the % doesn't give the same "feel".

yes, but you apply quantize settings on a per-part basis (or, as stated, using a midi-insert effect on a per-track basis). drag & dropping any midi event onto the quantize panel instantly creates a quantize preset that you can then use by selecting any other event and pressing quantize.

there is no 'one knob rules them all' quantize button globally for everything in the project. that could be a nice feature.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro »

"It don't mean a slob if it ain't' got that knob!" 8-)

Duke
Cubase Pro 11, Windows 10
Sibelius 7.5.1, Dorico Pro 3.5.10
http://www.yourmusic.pro

wilcofan

Post by wilcofan »

Jalcide wrote:
Thank you

Recently I accidently found you can assign these MIDI inserts to Quick Controls also. For the longest time I thought they weren't assignable because nothing showed up in the QC drop downs.

The secret is the open a MIDI insert's window, open the QC side panel, click the "L" learn button and move one of the MIDI insert parameters. Now they show up in the QC drop downs.
Last edited by wilcofan on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 | HP Envy 15

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

nice tip wilco thanks!
Cubase 8.5.30 / UAD2 Quad + UAD2 Solo / Win7 x64 SP1 / Asus X99 Deluxe II MB / 12 Gig DDR3 Samsung Ram / NVIDIA GT730 /Steinberg UR824 Audio Interface x2

ggc

Post by ggc »

islandmusicpro wrote:"It don't mean a slob if it ain't' got that knob!" 8-)

Duke
ehehe:p

Return to “General”