Hidden Cubase 8 features!

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
jgaryt

Re: Hidden Cubase 8 features! - Workspaces

Post by jgaryt » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Someone already mentioned the new [ALT]+U command to update the current workspace, but it seems that workspaces have been made a bit more useful by distinguishing between 'Global' and 'Project' workspaces.

Making and updating Global templates (that are always available in your projects ) is easy, and now when you activate them, Cubase identifies what type of workspace you are using with a "G" or "P" in front of the workspace number in the toolbar menu.

And finally, the workspace shortcut keys [ALT]+NumPad 1-5 can now be used to select your Global and 6-9 to select Project templates.

So, no more having to lock and unlock workspaces. I know I screwed up a few of my faves by not paying attention to the small "." indicator that was used previously.
-jgaryt-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cubase Academy
Cubase Academy Youtube Channel
Cubase Academy Facebook Page
DAW: Cubase 9.5 | Windows 10 64 | Xeon 3.5 | 16GB RAM | 3x24" LCD's
Surface: CMC-QC | CMC-CH | CMC-TP | CMC-AI | CMC-PD | Faderport 8
Input: Steinberg UR824 | 2 ADA8200 Ultragain Digital | Focusrite Saffire 2x2 | Nektar LX49+ | M-Audio Keystation 88es | Akai MPK-mini |ART ProChannel II | Shure KSM32, SE 2200a II c, SM57's, 58's
Output: JBL308's | Peavey AMR | Hafler Solid State Amp
Keys/Synths: Yamaha CP40 Stage | Oberheim Matrix6R | Roland JX8P | Korg MonoPoly | Yamaha RY30 | Yamaha PSR 640 | Ensoniq Mirage
Guitars: 1979 Kramer DMZ6000B Bass | 1960's Guild Freshman 3/4 Hollowbody | Greg Bennett Stratocaster | Yamaha Acoustic | Fender Squire Jaguar Bass | Fender 5 String Jazz Bass

mozizo

Post by mozizo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:24 pm

jgaryt wrote:Someone already mentioned the new [ALT]+U command to update the current workspace, but it seems that workspaces have been made a bit more useful by distinguishing between 'Global' and 'Project' workspaces.

Making and updating Global templates (that are always available in your projects ) is easy, and now when you activate them, Cubase identifies what type of workspace you are using with a "G" or "P" in front of the workspace number in the toolbar menu.

And finally, the workspace shortcut keys [ALT]+NumPad 1-5 can now be used to select your Global and 6-9 to select Project templates.

So, no more having to lock and unlock workspaces. I know I screwed up a few of my faves by not paying attention to the small "." indicator that was used previously.
yep.finally workspaces are easy and useful to use.
i wonder if its possible to make some kind of presets.(say preset for 2 screen configuration, and for one screen etc..)
my laptop is connected to second screen, and mostly i use both the external and laptops own screen and my workspaces are made for this configuration.
but what if i need to use only one screen ? say field recording only with laptop. the work spaces i have for 2 screen are not good anymore.
cubase Pro 9.5 64bit ,halion 55 , GA45 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 redstone 64bit 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

misanthrop

Re: Hidden Cubase 8 features!

Post by misanthrop » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 pm

after button automation of a vst or a vsti, just press the "+" (automation lane) on an audio or an instrument track and the last automated data is automatically added.
in earlier versions you needed a couple of clicks to get them... that was very annoying... :D
Last edited by misanthrop on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnderTow

Post by UnderTow » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:56 pm

buzzlegs wrote:
you know the best thing about this photo, real buttons!... buttons that you can see at all times!... i don't understand why the audio inserts/sends aren't like this too with all that silly hover button business, the hover stuff really slows down everything when you're in the heat of the moment mixing imo!
Another +1. That looks nice and neat with clear buttons. The new hover buttons are a very bad design decision IMO. A row of buttons with a slider underneath is much nicer and less fiddly.

Alistair

mozizo

Post by mozizo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:06 pm

new Macro "Selected Tracks to new Folder and Add Group Channel"
i remember some folks ask for that as in Logic X ?
well i think its new, dont remember exactly
cubasis,cubase ic pro

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:11 pm

UnderTow wrote:
buzzlegs wrote:
you know the best thing about this photo, real buttons!... buttons that you can see at all times!... i don't understand why the audio inserts/sends aren't like this too with all that silly hover button business, the hover stuff really slows down everything when you're in the heat of the moment mixing imo!
Another +1. That looks nice and neat with clear buttons. The new hover buttons are a very bad design decision IMO. A row of buttons with a slider underneath is much nicer and less fiddly.

Alistair

Thanks a lot! it's a very useful feature of C8P.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

soulfunk

Post by soulfunk » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:23 pm

JMCecil wrote:
shadowfax wrote:if you double click in a blank space under a track header you get a midi track. :)
You should actually get whatever track type was added last.
I believe you actually get whatever type of track is highlighted at that moment...
Music Composition & Production
The Sound Room
http://www.thesoundroom.co.nz
---------------------------------------
Mac OSX 10.9.5
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Cubase 8.5

soulfunk

Post by soulfunk » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:31 pm

mozizo wrote:new Macro "Selected Tracks to new Folder and Add Group Channel"
Nice macro...however if you undo that action the tracks default to 'no bus'...
Music Composition & Production
The Sound Room
http://www.thesoundroom.co.nz
---------------------------------------
Mac OSX 10.9.5
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Cubase 8.5

Xtigma

Post by Xtigma » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:55 pm

Definately new! I like it
Intel i7 64bit 16gb ram - Windows 8.1 - Rme Fireface UCX - Uad Octo - Uad quad

Xtigma

Post by Xtigma » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:02 pm

New Key commands

Add Track to selected : Group Channel
Add Track to selected : FX Channel
Add Track to selected : VCA Fader

completely overlooked this! I have wanted this key command since v7 was released!
Intel i7 64bit 16gb ram - Windows 8.1 - Rme Fireface UCX - Uad Octo - Uad quad

LarsErik

Post by LarsErik » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:49 pm

mozizo wrote:
jgaryt wrote:Someone already mentioned the new [ALT]+U command to update the current workspace, but it seems that workspaces have been made a bit more useful by distinguishing between 'Global' and 'Project' workspaces.

i wonder if its possible to make some kind of presets.(say preset for 2 screen configuration, and for one screen etc..)
my laptop is connected to second screen, and mostly i use both the external and laptops own screen and my workspaces are made for this configuration.
but what if i need to use only one screen ? say field recording only with laptop. the work spaces i have for 2 screen are not good anymore.
Can't you just make more global workspaces. Like having the first 4 for dual screen and a few for single screen?
Cubase 9.5 Pro, Cubase iC Pro, WaveLab Pro 9.5, Windows 10 (64bit)
RME-Audio UCX, Intel Core I7 3930K 3.20GHZ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX970

jgale

Post by jgale » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:50 am

Xtigma wrote:
Definately new! I like it
+1 - I am going to use this one alot! :)
C 7.5 / 8.0 x64 | Win 7 x64 | i7 930 | Giga UD5 rev 1.0 - F6 | 24 GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS | RME Fireface 400

jgale

Post by jgale » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:56 am

mozizo wrote:

I like everything about the new workspace implementation - except the inability to unlock workspaces! Please Steinberg add this option back!

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... ck#p409611
C 7.5 / 8.0 x64 | Win 7 x64 | i7 930 | Giga UD5 rev 1.0 - F6 | 24 GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS | RME Fireface 400

mozizo

Post by mozizo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:06 am

LarsErik wrote:
mozizo wrote:

Can't you just make more global workspaces. Like having the first 4 for dual screen and a few for single screen?
i can ,but i prefer to have presets for that, cuz my 1-6 key number are global workspaces,and 3 more i use as project(all that for the 2 screen setup )
when in field i would like just load a 1 screen workspace preset.
i think its possible to exchange workspace preset files somewhere in cubase's folder but its a hassle.
Last edited by mozizo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cubasis,cubase ic pro

Sonik

Post by Sonik » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:42 am

Xtigma wrote:New Key commands

completely overlooked this! I have wanted this key command since v7 was released!
And this works on the Project or just with the Mixer?
MacPro 8 core 16gb HD 5770 10.11.6|Cubase Pro 9.5|Wavelab 9.5|Protools 12.4|Logic X|Apollo Quad|4xUAD-2 (14 core)
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete10|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 2|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|
Waves 9|Vocalign 3|Melodyne|Soundtoys|Softube|Brainworx|SPL|Fabfilter|UAD
i7 3,40ghz|Asus P8P67|16GB GSkill 12800|GTS450 1gb|Win7 64|Cubase Pro 8.0.30|UAD-1|UA-25|

shagazulu

Post by shagazulu » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:00 am

Sonik wrote:

And this works on the Project or just with the Mixer?
That's a feature request, no? I'm not seeing those options. I see the reverse: Add Group Channel to a selected channel (or selected channels)
Cubase 8 Pro & Cubase AI 7 (on 2nd PC running VST System Link for 16-track recording) | Windows 7 x64 | Intel Core 2 Quad & Cord 2 Duo | 8MB & 6MB RAM | Tascam FW1884 & M-Audio Delta 1010 | UAD-1 | M-Audio Axiom 61 | Kawai MP9000 | CMC-AI | Frontier Tranzport | FX Teleport | Various & sundry outboard gear that's rather spacial

mozizo

Post by mozizo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:15 am

from the command name its confusing. i tried it, and its the same as "Add group channel to selected channel" from MC.. but now it works from the project as well with KC !
its a good and fast way though !
cubasis,cubase ic pro

Sonik

Post by Sonik » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:55 am

mozizo wrote:

from the command name its confusing. i tried it, and its the same as "Add group channel to selected channel" from MC.. but now it works from the project as well with KC !
Relly? Good one!! I had been asking this some time ago... :D
MacPro 8 core 16gb HD 5770 10.11.6|Cubase Pro 9.5|Wavelab 9.5|Protools 12.4|Logic X|Apollo Quad|4xUAD-2 (14 core)
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete10|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 2|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|
i7 3,40ghz|Asus P8P67|16GB GSkill 12800|GTS450 1gb|Win7 64|Cubase Pro 8.0.30|UAD-1|UA-25|

MattJW

Post by MattJW » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:51 pm

I don't know if this is new but i 've been using Cubase since Cubase 4 and not stumbled upon this before.

Click on the E button whilst holding Alt key to get more than one channel edit window open at the same time!

Matt
Cubase 8 Pro, Samplitude Pro X, Sonar Platinum (multiple DAW anxiety syndrome) UR824 Interface, Win 10, Intel i7 3770k 3.5GHZ, 8GB, UAD Quad, 2 Powercore PCI Cards, MCU, TC BMC-2 D/A, Dynaudio BM12a Monitors

bigboi

Post by bigboi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:52 pm

MattJW wrote:I don't know if this is new but i 've been using Cubase since Cubase 4 and not stumbled upon this before.

Click on the E button whilst holding Alt key to get more than one channel edit window open at the same time!

Matt
I like this feature a lot! Wow. Can't believe I did not know about this.

Tony H

Post by Tony H » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Certain menus have a tab at the bottom right for key commands which turns yellow when its highlighted
cubase9,5 pro. bfd 3.Bfd 2. ,slate everything bundle, T-rax. etc
windows 10
core i5 4x320.
16gb ram.
Focusrite Scarlet 18i20

Sonik

Post by Sonik » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Sonik wrote:
mozizo wrote:

Relly? Good one!! I had been asking this some time ago... :D
I tried it now. It works good.
I would like it on the same menu as the Add Track (using the right mouse click)..

shagazulu

Post by shagazulu » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:55 pm

mozizo wrote:

What am I missing? I tried this yesterday. Can you list the steps you take to reproduce this behavior? Maybe a screenshot?

From what I understand, this is a scenario where you already have a Group channel and you simply want to add another newly created audio track such that it automatically gets routed to this pre-existing Group channel. Correct?
Cubase 8 Pro & Cubase AI 7 (on 2nd PC running VST System Link for 16-track recording) | Windows 7 x64 | Intel Core 2 Quad & Cord 2 Duo | 8MB & 6MB RAM | Tascam FW1884 & M-Audio Delta 1010 | UAD-1 | M-Audio Axiom 61 | Kawai MP9000 | CMC-AI | Frontier Tranzport | FX Teleport | Various & sundry outboard gear that's rather spacial

tekniq

Post by tekniq » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:15 pm

buzzlegs wrote:i don't understand why the audio inserts/sends aren't like this too with all that silly hover button business, the hover stuff really slows down everything when you're in the heat of the moment mixing imo!

yep. hope we can deactivate hoover in the future..
Mein Cubase Arbeitsplatz

jgale

Post by jgale » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:41 pm

bigboi wrote:
MattJW wrote:I don't know if this is new but i 've been using Cubase since Cubase 4 and not stumbled upon this before.

Matt
I like this feature a lot! Wow. Can't believe I did not know about this.
+1 - I checked and this is in 7.5. - but it is new to me!

Return to “General”