MIDI timing

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
dgaggi

MIDI timing

Post by dgaggi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to MIDI and have a question. I recorded a sax part. When I went to play it back, the timing of the MIDI instrument track was off from my audio tracks. What am I missing? Is it latency?

Re: MIDI timing

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Use the Emulated Ports for the MIDI device. There's a Knowledge Base article that tells how to get them to show.

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:40 pm

dgaggi wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to MIDI and have a question. I recorded a sax part. When I went to play it back, the timing of the MIDI instrument track was off from my audio tracks. What am I missing? Is it latency?
Sometimes it helps to check the little box "Use System Timestamp" (I think that may be available only on PCs) it worked wonders for me. Here's a link to a nice article talking about MIDI timing issues, some of it maybe dated, some not:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/a ... h_1207.htm
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

dgaggi

Post by dgaggi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks again guys. Using the system time stamp did the trick.

DonB

Post by DonB » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Would someone please point me to the Knowledge Base article on Emulated Ports for the MIDI device? I've searched the Knowledge Base and can't seem to find it. Thanks.
DonB

Gygafo

Post by Gygafo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Sometimes it helps to check the little box "Use System Timestamp" (I think that may be available only on PCs) it worked wonders for me. Here's a link to a nice article talking about MIDI timing issues, some of it maybe dated, some not:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/a ... h_1207.htm[/quote]

Thanks for posting that Alexis, I was pulling my hair out with this problem too. Fixed in a jiffy, thanks.
Cheers!
Gygafo.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”