Question about midi quantize

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
9Lives

Question about midi quantize

Post by 9Lives »

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the mixing world. I'm a metal guitarist 15 years in the making. I dove into the recording briefly when I was younger back in the tascam 4 track recorder days. About 6 months ago I started researching daws. Fell in love with cubase, purchased elements 7 and recently decided to fully commit. I purchased full 7.5 upgrade and the waves gold bundle along with several other plugins to get me going. I also use ez drummer 2 a good bit for drums. I record all guitars and bass and some vocals.

I've been devoting a lot of time to learning the ins and outs of cubase. I love 7.5. They're are so many features I can barely wrap my head around it. I recently FINALLY started grasping quantizing midi patterns and getting them close to what's in my head. I have a question about this, hopefully some one can lend me a hand.

I play 8 string guitars. Lots of super heavy killswitch engage, korn style riffs with some dubstep flavor a here and there. I'm having trouble quantizing kick drum triplets to sync with my guitar chugs. You know. Da da da..... Da da da... Da ... Da da da... Djent style playing. The track I'm working on now is 160 bpm. I have it set to 4/4 but some riffs are 6/4. Should I be quantizing to 1/4 triplet grid? Or somthing like 1/32? The closest I can get is to manually draw in the triplets and it's very hard to get it lined up. My distorted guitars do not make clear hitpoints. I have tried making them with bass (works ok...) I do like to quantize to the bass line on "half time" chorus. But I need that tight syncopated verse with the kick drum. There's GOT to be a way to do this easier than what I'm doing.

I'm so commited to this that I would probably be willing to pay a vet level cubase user to teach me if necessary. I in this 100%. If I'm not mixing I'm reading about it 24/7 I just can't seem to find an answer for this. Thanks in advance!

9Lives

Re: Question about midi quantize

Post by 9Lives »

If anyone could provide services like that please let me know. Specially if your into the metal/dubstep mixing. Low tune, fast tempo. I'd be willing to pay month at a time in advance as long as some one really can teach me.

beatpete

Post by beatpete »

I use quantize but very sparingly, I always reckon it's better to play the part until it's right, much better feel that way.
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 10.5 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 10 64bit, I5 3450,32 gb ram, VEPro 7.

9Lives

Post by 9Lives »

I'm actually really good timing with my guitar bass playing. I just couldn't get my triplet kicks lined up with the guitar right.. I figured it out today. I needed 1/32 triplet. Now it's on point. I'm definitely not a drummer.. At all but I always know what I want to hear. Quantifying definitely makes that quicker. I was spending days on a drum line that still sucked.

SYNC

Post by SYNC »

I turn midi quantize 'on' & 'off' as needed when I work with midi tracks, and I tend to move each midi note 'individually' (yes, takes a lot of time but it's the best way for me). If I want a note to be exactly on the grid, I'll have quantize on while moving each note. When I want it to be either early or late, I'll have it off. It's always off when I want a note for any given length (long or short), as I feel the length of a note is very important and makes world of difference. I don't typically quantize the whole midi track, or even a section/block of a track because it ends up sounding too mechanical/robotic... but if I do use quantize on a whole track or section is because it's only a starting point that I haven't yet got into the track to manually move notes. Yep, I spent a LOT of time on my midi tracks!

In the case of using Toontrack EZDrummer, I'll often drag N' drop in some of their good & natural midi grooves - if I end up using them - and alter as needed to fit it to my song...but again, moving one note/beat at a time. Thing is, I can't always find the right groove...and not quickly enough before I start forgetting a new song idea. I also have an e-kit that I use, as well as just tapping something quick on my keyboard with midi.

When I actually PLAY a midi instrument/controller, whether it be from a keyboard, midi guitar (for guitar & bass parts), or e-kit set-up, I find it's best never to do a straight out quantize, but leave things as they were played, and start to fix each midi track, beginning with the WORST bits 1st, then the next worse bits. I find that when I use my midi guitar for parts, I have to do the 'most' work on fixing bad notes..this is because a midi guitar doesn't follow exactly what I play, like it does from a keyboard or e-drums...and I'm more of a guitar player than the other instruments I play.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”