Latter rain (Halion Symphonic Orchestra)

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
galaxi

Latter rain (Halion Symphonic Orchestra)

Post by galaxi »

I really brief piece for my love rain... Only cubase 6.5 and halion symphonic orchestra for halion 4

http://snd.sc/10In17L

Thanks for listening :)

galaxi

shadowfax

Re: Latter rain (Halion Symphonic Orchestra)

Post by shadowfax »

very nice..and very short !!..could be the intro to a nice piece but as is doesn't really mean much..why didn't you take it further? Kevin
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

galaxi

Post by galaxi »

I had started while it was raining ... but then came the sun ... :?
Ok, thanks Shadow. I want to know if I was able to create a realistic orchestral sound with only halion symphonic orchestra ... Thanks in advance for any further comments!

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

well..sounds very orchestral to me..well done...Kevin
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Sounds nice and expressive.

Would be interested to hear any futher developments with the HALion Orchestra software.
Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones, Pro (250 Ohm).

Sibelius 8.5, Cubase 9, HALion Sonic SE , HALion Sonic 2, HALion 5, Grand SE, Grand 3, Groove Agent 3, Arturia V_Collection, EZ2 Drummer, Steinberg CI2+ Interface, Lexicon MX300, Midi Sport 2x2.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70gHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.

galaxi

Post by galaxi »

Thanks Shadow and Monsterjazzlicks!
Surely the market is full of dedicated virtual instruments orchestra ... but for now I prefer the sound and manageability of halion symphonic orchestra within halion 4, with the use of vst expression and, even more, note expression to vary slightly the pitch of individual notes to create more realism.

galaxi

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

i have been thinking up upgrading to HALion 4 for some time now. i like idea of staying with Cubase products because everything is sure to configure and marry up ok. Though i heard some Native orchestral samples recently and they were totally out of this world (but very expensive). (on You Tube). But i have to say, for the price of HALion 4 and the way you have used them in your composition, they sound excellent !!
Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones, Pro (250 Ohm).

Sibelius 8.5, Cubase 9, HALion Sonic SE , HALion Sonic 2, HALion 5, Grand SE, Grand 3, Groove Agent 3, Arturia V_Collection, EZ2 Drummer, Steinberg CI2+ Interface, Lexicon MX300, Midi Sport 2x2.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70gHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.

firestamper

Post by firestamper »

yeah very nice should have continued,second movement ? sun

Jonathan5456

Post by Jonathan5456 »

Yeah, it could really be longer of course. The strings don't sound bad, the beginning notes sound very good in terns of expression. After that not too great, but far from bad. I'm not that keen on the oboe, but until very recently when 8dio released their oboe I've never heard an oboe sample I've liked from any company. Good going so far, but you should really be developing the themes. :p I'd scrap the thunder/rain stuff too, rather have a visual picture of any kind than hearing the effects.
Sample Libraries: EWQL Hollywood Strings Diamond, Hollywood Brass Gold, Hollywood Woodwinds Gold, Symphonic Choirs, Silk, Stormdrum 2. Native Instruments Alicia's Keys Piano. All sample libraries at 1 mic position only.

Plugins: QL Spaces, Waves REDD, Waves API-2500, Waves J37/Kramer Tape, iZotope Ozone 5 Basic.

MFox

Post by MFox »

Your music paints a picture, and that's magic! Very good orchestration and I like the sound of halion symphonic orchestra. I want to buy good orchestral VST and not sure to go for halion symphonic orchestra or Komplete. Pity it is so short because I want to hear more. Michael.
Mac Mini, 64 G RAM, Cubase IA 5, Yamaha S90XS, Saffire LE

galaxi

Post by galaxi »

Thanks Firestamper, Jonathan5456 and Mfox,for yours comments! just a clarification: Halion Symphonic Orchestrahas two different versions for strings within the same family, but, in this example, I only used a version without overlapping the second, and without using the vst expression. I think the performance will be even better with this latest solution! Thank you again!

ciao!

galaxi

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

Very nice, I think it sounds great :)
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong »

I think it sounds really good. Frankly, I'm surprised at the quality/realism of the Halion Orchestra. I bought the original whe it came, what was that? Ten years ago? Seems like it. Back then, the samples weren't all that good -- grainy -- but the keyswitching and usability was awesome -- much better than the East-West products of the time.
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”