Control Room Talkback

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
imconfused3974

Control Room Talkback

Post by imconfused3974 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 am

2 Questions:

1. I run a 16 input system and often run into live recording scenarios. Removing even one input to use as a talkback means I have to take from my already thinly stretched miking. Is there any way to use my desktop's soundcard mic input as the control room TB?

2. My audio interface has a footswitch feature that you can set to any keyboard command. Is there any way to activate and deactivate the control room TB via key command?

Thank You!

fuzzydude

Re: Control Room Talkback

Post by fuzzydude » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am

imconfused3974 wrote:2 Questions:

1. I run a 16 input system and often run into live recording scenarios. Removing even one input to use as a talkback means I have to take from my already thinly stretched miking. Is there any way to use my desktop's soundcard mic input as the control room TB?

2. My audio interface has a footswitch feature that you can set to any keyboard command. Is there any way to activate and deactivate the control room TB via key command?

Thank You!
Probs a good idea to supply detailed computer specs plus specs for your interface, otherwise it's difficult for anyone to help :)
Comps+OS: Macbook Pro's 10.13.6 I PC's - i7's - M2's - SSD's I Win10 Pro x64 (V-1903) I Nuendo 10 | Cubase Pro 10 I Wavelab 9.5 Pro

imconfused3974

Post by imconfused3974 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for the reply:

Running a MOTU 896HD (Firewire Interface) with a MOTU 8pre slaved to it through ADAT
- All clocked internally through the 896HD

Dell Desktop - Dual QuadCore Processors (8 Cores) Running Windows 8 and Cubase 7

Not really sure about my stock computer sound card. It's basically your standard 1/8" TRS Mic in and 1/8" TRS Out that comes on a desktop. Nothing special.....I'm not hoping to run C-800G as my talkback or anything.

Anything that would save me my 16th preamp and is better than yelling would do!

For the record, I know that a Presonus HP60 would completely solve my problems. I'm just not very keen to spend $300 for a headphone amp that has all its HP outputs on the front.

Thank you!

DaDa

Post by DaDa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Sorry, that won't work.
ASIO can only handle one card/driver, currently.

Only exception: ASIO4All.
This translates WDM drivers to ASIO and can handle multiple WDM devices.
At the cost of latency ....

I never tried it with multi-out cards, though.
( And your MOTU card would need to provide 8 WDM devices )

Jan
Intel Z87 | i5 4670K @ 4x 4,2gHz | 16gb RAM | 6850 silent | 37", 2x 24", 22" LCDs|
System SSD | 7tb Data HDs
RME RayDat | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Steinberg UR 824
Win7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 8.5.20 64bit | Samplitude X3 64bit
Sony VAIO | Intel 2x 2,4 gHz | Win 7 SP1 64bit | Cubase 6.5.5
Steinberg user since Commodore

imconfused3974

Post by imconfused3974 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:23 pm

Ahhh. Latency is a price that I'm not willing to pay.

I mean the TB can be as latent as it wants to be.....but I doubt you'd get to pick which of your ASIO drivers gets to be latent.

Thank you so much for the reply regardless

grecore

Post by grecore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 pm

btw. answer to question2 (key command):

yes.
Studio Nord Bremen
www.studio-nord.net

kzarider

Post by kzarider » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 pm

I use basically the same type setup MR816csx-Motu 8 pre. I got a Presonus monitor station to use for talk back the price is reasonable and it's worked well. Think I paid 250 at Sweetwater for it
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MonitorStat
PC i7-8770K Gigabyte 370 Win10 64bit -32gb ram; i7 2015 MackBook Pro; Cubase 9.5, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 3, Digital Performer, Access Virus TI2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Baldwin L3, Hammond B3-Sk2, Rhodes, Wurlitzer 200, Hohner Clav, Waldorf, NI Komplete 10, Gretch Brooklyn, Omnisphere, Keyscape, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc. Antelope Orion 32HD, Antelope Goliath HD
http://zkeysmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
https://www.facebook.com/ZKeys-Studio-1608666072789495/

imconfused3974

Post by imconfused3974 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:55 am

kzarider wrote:I got a Presonus monitor station to use for talk back the price is reasonable and it's worked well.
Thank you for replying!

I actually used to have a Presonus Central Station but sold it because channel B colored the monitors. Drove me nuts!

For anyone who cares, I actually found a work around.

MOTU Audio Interfaces come with mixing software (called CueMix) that allows for 4 Cue's to be mixed within the interface. This takes away processing strain from the CPU and allows for basically 0 latency headphone mixes.

I honestly imagine that a good number of interfaces offer something very similar.
CueMix allows for the first mix to include the CPUs Output Audio (Emulated Output).

Basically I took a cheapo mixer and plugged up a Shure PG mic
Plugged it RCA - TRS into the computers mic input
Set my computers default output as the AES/EBU bus (but any unused output would do)
Routed the CueMix output as AES/EBU (making it recognize the levels of the incoming mixer)
In Cubase set the Talkback as Mix 1 (the emulated output from CueMix)

Boom....Done
I will say that there's a fair amount of delay between speaking and the cue's hearing
Honestly, a few milliseconds of delay is of no concern to me when it comes to Talkback

I can now have 4 separate Cue Mixes within Cubase, 16 microphone inputs, and a dedicated talkback!
17 inputs! Freaking Awesome

Anyone know the key command for enabling talk back within the control room on Cubase 7? I can't seem to get it to work.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”