audio quality of vocal harmonies

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
gtunes

audio quality of vocal harmonies

Post by gtunes »

I should just test this but wanted to throw this out there: my audio quality of Cubase generated harmonies and certain pitch corrected vocals is nowhere near as good as what I hear on the tutorials. It just sounds warbled and garbled (the harmonies). I mostly record projects at 44.1, 24 bits since they usually end up on CD or MP3, AAC. But would going to 48 or 88 help in this regard?
Of course I understand this is just more of an effect- any serious harmony should be from the singer but wish I can get it to sound better.

More Cowbell

Re: audio quality of vocal harmonies

Post by More Cowbell »

I Think it works quite good. I tried it today without Reading from chord track. Just took a sample > create harmonies. changed a Little bit in sample editor. Have a listen.

https://soundcloud.com/martin-jakobsson/on-your-side

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety »

Have you tried all the various Pitch Shift presets? Some are more suitable than others. Don't forget that you need the Formant options to prevent the 'chipmunk' effect.
Instruments: Piano/keys, Guitar, Mandolin, Vocal
Current Sounds: Cactus Juice (@Soundcloud) - Former Sounds: Ask Murt (@MySpace)

Every day's a skool day...

gtunes

Post by gtunes »

Thanks for the audio- sounds good there. Using Elastique pro pitch does help.

J-S-Q

Post by J-S-Q »

Are you original files nice clean recordings? Noisy audio will always sound worse after a pitch shift.
Cubase Pro 9, Win10
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X. MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X399. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GV-N96TSL GeForce 9600GT. SYSTEM DRIVE: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg MR816-CSX CONTROLLER: Avid S3, Avid Artist Transport

Return to “Older Cubase versions”