Newbie / Check installation halion se

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
GCClassic

Newbie / Check installation halion se

Post by GCClassic »

Dear Forum,.

I am a complete newcomer having just downloaded Doico 3.5. I was auditioning some of the sample projects but can't get play back. I get a notice that the sound isntallation may need to be checked - some components are missing. I ran the sound installer on my D drive.

Can anyone help?

very mushc appreciated.

GC

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Re: Newbie / Check installation halion se

Post by Ulf »

From where you got the Dorico installer, there is also a 'Dorico Sound Installer' package that you need to download and install. It's pretty big, round about 9GB.
Steinberg employee

GCClassic

Post by GCClassic »

Yes. I've downloaded that 9 GB sound installation and run and rerun the set up exe. I've put it all on my D drive. I've got a piano sound. Looking in the play area at halion it looks like I haven't got any orchestra sounds.... Do I need to reinstall. Do a clean uninstall. Does it matter where the sounds are downloaded and installed. Thanks for your suggestion so far. Giles

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

Can you use the Library Manager to find out where these sound files are located and make sure Dorico can find them?
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

Yes, as Derrek says, please launch the Steinberg Library Manager, it got installed along with Dorico. What does it say, which libraries can it find?
If you don't specify anything, then the Dorico sounds all get installed to C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound
Do you know exactly where on your D drive the sound files are?
Steinberg employee

GCClassic

Post by GCClassic »

Derrek/ Ulf - thanks. Library manager shows
1. Halion Sonic Factory Content
2. Halion sonic SE artist
3 Halion Sonic SE Pro
4 Indian Drum Basics
5 Olympus Choir Micro

I have limited room on my C drive, so installed the sounds to the following folders on D
D:\Giles Chaundy Documents\Steinberg Folder D Drive\WIN64\Dorico Pro 3.5.10 Sounds Installer\HALion_Sonic_SE_and_Content_for_Dorico_Pro_3.4_Installer_win\HALion Sonic SE\Additional Content
VST sounds are in the additional content folder

How do I direct Dorico to find the sounds there.

Thanks for your guidance

Giles

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

So the HALion Symphonic Orchestra Library is not recognized. To be honest, I don't know how to make it recognize straight away.
But you could reinstall it to the default location on the C drive and after that move it with the Library Manager to your D drive. That should work.
Steinberg employee

GCClassic

Post by GCClassic »

Thanks Ulf.

Do reinstall, presumably I uninstall using the Halion setup.exe. in the folder which has uninstall options

I can move the Halion files zip file to the usual defualt C drive location and go from there.

Does that sound right?

G

GCClassic

Post by GCClassic »

Sorry to ask no doubt basic questions. just to clarify.

Esentially I should uninstall the library, the components and the sounds, using the setup tools in the Sounds installtion folder before reinstalling from the default C drive location.

Thanks

G

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

Yes, I would do so, first run setup with the uninstall option and then reinstall. When you reinstall, make sure it installs to the default location, i.e. C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound. Then the Library Manager and Dorico shall recognize it. Once you've checked that, go to the Library Manager again and move the library(ies) to your D drive. By that Dorico will know about the new path and recognize it again.
Steinberg employee

GCClassic

Post by GCClassic »

Hi Ulf, Thanks for your help! The library did register a lot more sounds and the orchestra ones when installed from C drive and I was able to move them to D from the library. Thanks for that.

There are still sounds missing when I play some of the old sample projects - such as the timpani
In the Rameau sample file the cello was missing..

Is there any way of fixing this..or finding or locating these files.

Thanks Giles

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

Are the sounds really missing? If in HALion Sonic SE, can you browse for and find the timpani sound?
Also try reapplying the playback template (go to Play mode, then Play > Playback Template). Does that maybe heal it?
I'm not 100% sure, but with me the timpani must be in C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_012_HSO_Percussion_Pitched.vstsound
Have a look for that file on your D drive.
Steinberg employee

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

Just to verify, since this has not been mentioned, the OP is talking about Dorico Pro, right?
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

imobb

Post by imobb »

Hi to all. I am also new here. After 3 years working for a real estate credit agency, I decided to do something I'm passionate about: recording music. So I just downloaded Doico 3.5 and your advice helps me a lot. Thank you very much!

PjotrB

Post by PjotrB »

Welcome to the forum, hope you’ll enjoy working with Dorico as much as I (we) do. It’s good you already found this place, it’s one of the best resources to get you going. Don’t hesitate to use it.
Peter Bouma, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Cello — Baroque cello — Cello piccolo — Arranging/composing hobbyist
Dorico Pro 3.5.10 — Noteperformer 3.3.2 — Sib 7.1.3 (gathering dust)
iMac late 2012+SSD 3.2GHz i5 16GB / MacOS 10.14.6 — MacBook Pro / MacOS 10.14.6

Return to “Dorico”