why is cubase so expensive ?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
infineon
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:11 am
Contact:

why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by infineon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm

I can understand when cubase ws the leading DAW in cubase SX days.
but these days it doesnt make sense to me.
for ProTools being the most expensive DAW makes some sense because 90% of studios use ProTools.
but cubase is just on the same +/- level with StudioOne, Logic, Sonar, Fl Studio etc,
why does it cost so much and .5 upates are not free ? why ?

( please dont get me wrong or turn this question into a heated debate or DAW vs DAW or arguing and so on )

Elien
Senior Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:31 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Elien » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:45 pm

What answer do you expect?
What do you want to achieve with your posting?

I start: Cubase is NOT expensive. It is worth the money.
Cubase 10.5 on Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Asus X99-S mobo; Intel i7, Matrox C420 Multi Monitor Card, USB3-External Graphic card, 5 Monitors. RME RayDat. Presonus Firestudio, DigimaxFS, Art Tube Preamp, Line6 x3 pro, lexicon mx400, Headphone preamp, Digipatch Digital Patchbay, TCHelicon VoicePro. Yamaha HS80M plus Subwoofer, Behringer MS40. Euphonix MC Control V2; Euphonix MC Mix, Avid MCTransport AKai MPD18, Komplete Kontrol 61, Novation Zero SL MKII, Automap. Yamaha Motif XF8; Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, GPO, Garritan Jazz&Bigband, ARC 2.5 System, Jamstix, Various Applied Accoustic Instruments, Melodyne

Elien
Senior Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:31 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Elien » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:52 pm

BTW -- the development costs of StudioOne are for sure WAY lower than for cubase. The developers of the newer DAWs jsutt took knowhow with them and reimplemented something that Steinberg had created (or they had created paid by Steinberg).
Cubase 10.5 on Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Asus X99-S mobo; Intel i7, Matrox C420 Multi Monitor Card, USB3-External Graphic card, 5 Monitors. RME RayDat. Presonus Firestudio, DigimaxFS, Art Tube Preamp, Line6 x3 pro, lexicon mx400, Headphone preamp, Digipatch Digital Patchbay, TCHelicon VoicePro. Yamaha HS80M plus Subwoofer, Behringer MS40. Euphonix MC Control V2; Euphonix MC Mix, Avid MCTransport AKai MPD18, Komplete Kontrol 61, Novation Zero SL MKII, Automap. Yamaha Motif XF8; Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, GPO, Garritan Jazz&Bigband, ARC 2.5 System, Jamstix, Various Applied Accoustic Instruments, Melodyne

User avatar
jaslan
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3359
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by jaslan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:58 pm

I disagree that Cubase is on the same level as Studio One or FL. I don’t even think it’s close. I don’t know anything about Logic though. The price is “expensive” because customers are willing to pay it. It is set by what the market will bear (unless the government controls prices).
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

User avatar
Hippo
Member
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Hippo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:22 pm

I don`t think it is expensive for pro audio software.
Not even a week in payback time and all tax deductible
If you want to use it as a non pro well its up to you, if you don`t think its worth the price go elsewhere.

Hippo
i9 9900k 32gig ram Steinberg UR44 Windows 10

User avatar
greggybud
Senior Member
Posts: 1301
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 am
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by greggybud » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:03 pm

infineon wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm
I can understand when cubase ws the leading DAW in cubase SX days.
For what I do, it's worth the money. It's more "feature rich" than any other that I know of.

I'm not sure what you mean by "leading" but even in the SX days I'm not sure if Steinberg sold more units than PT, remembering all the variations plus the old free version of PT. My perception was Sonar then was very competitive. Acid was dying fast. Frooty was evolving from just a drum machine, and Cubase and Sonar received a boost when Apple purchased Emagic.

Each DAW seems to have very different business models. You for got to even mention Reaper.
Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, Wavelab 9.5, latest Cubase version, 64 gig all drives SSD,s (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti driving 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs,, UAD-2, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

User avatar
Winter Rat
Member
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:10 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Winter Rat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:05 pm

Because you care too much for money.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

Ian s
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:09 am
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Ian s » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:14 pm

I don't think it's overly expensive considering the wealth of the feature set.
C10.0.40 | W7 | MR 816CSX, MR 816X, MR 816X | CC121| ES-175D | ES-345

User avatar
beatpete
Senior Member
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:06 am
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by beatpete » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Because it's great!
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 10.5 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 10 64bit, I5 3450,32 gb ram, VEPro 7.

User avatar
raino
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 4158
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:41 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by raino » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:07 pm

Couple of cost comparisons

1) While Cubase Pro runs $560 Elements is just $100 which can do an awful lot even with its limitations.
2) Melodyne Studio lists for $850 & their starter version is $100
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

jcbfoos
Junior Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 am
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by jcbfoos » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Logic Pro 7 cost $1000 until Apple started subsiding it with iPhones. And IMHO Cubase is far superior, (although that's a separate conversation).

$50 for a partial upgrade and $100 for a full upgrade on alternating years seems very reasonable to me considering the constant development and improved feature set.

Also there are cheaper versions of Cubase (artist and elements) for people who don't make their living with Cubase.
Mac OSX 10.14.x - Cubase 10.0.x - MOTU 1248 - Insane PC running VEP - lots of plugs and libraries...

jcbfoos
Junior Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 am
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by jcbfoos » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:20 pm

....wait...conspiracy theory.....lol


does Infineon work for Steinberg and we all just told Steinberg that their price is on point?!?!?!?! lol

If so, it's too expensive! haha
Mac OSX 10.14.x - Cubase 10.0.x - MOTU 1248 - Insane PC running VEP - lots of plugs and libraries...

User avatar
Stephen57
Senior Member
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 5:32 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Stephen57 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:35 pm

By "expensive" I assume the OP is talking about the Professional level product.

Cubase Pro is a tremendous value for the money. You get, basically, a complete recording studio and creative music production environment.

I've looked at many demos for other DAWS and some offer excellent feature sets and functions but Cubase (with its issues known and unknown) is a top-notch product and, again, of them all, perhaps the product that offers the best value for the money. That was my calculation when deciding on Cubase back with Pro 8 for which I paid "full price." In addition, Steinberg provides added value -- support in these forums, youtube videos, its website.

Cost is always one of the big barriers to entry. I don't think Cubase Pro is overpriced and I like that we own our licenses and do not have to upgrade if our system is working as many have chosen to do. Sticking with what works, works. :-)

My 2 pennies. :-)
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

Elien
Senior Member
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:31 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Elien » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Maybe I can also shed some light from a historical perspective: When I started to try to produce music at home (I am NOT making a living with cubase and in many cases Cubase Pro is able to do much more than I actually need - so artist would be sufficient for sure) decades ago, I not even DARED to dream about the possibilites at the costs of Cubase. Homerecording was either on a really unpleasant level of quality and options or inaffordable for everbody. This has changed with the digitalization, with the virtualisation - the universal machine (computer) has saved our a**es. Steinberg is THE pioneer of this evolution and Cubase has all of that in its DNA. This leads to big advantages AND some disadvantages (it is always easier to start from scratch mimicking something that already exists!).
Looking at it from this angle supports my view that - well - cubase is NOT expensive. If "pro" is too much, there are options that work for home- and projectstudios absolutely more than sufficiently in the cubase family. (my brother and some friends use the "smallest" versions and are way more productive in a musical sense than I am.. because they dont always ask for more features but simply making music with what they have in their hands!).
We live in golden times for home- and projectstudios. No matter whether we are amateurs or pros.
Cubase 10.5 on Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Asus X99-S mobo; Intel i7, Matrox C420 Multi Monitor Card, USB3-External Graphic card, 5 Monitors. RME RayDat. Presonus Firestudio, DigimaxFS, Art Tube Preamp, Line6 x3 pro, lexicon mx400, Headphone preamp, Digipatch Digital Patchbay, TCHelicon VoicePro. Yamaha HS80M plus Subwoofer, Behringer MS40. Euphonix MC Control V2; Euphonix MC Mix, Avid MCTransport AKai MPD18, Komplete Kontrol 61, Novation Zero SL MKII, Automap. Yamaha Motif XF8; Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, GPO, Garritan Jazz&Bigband, ARC 2.5 System, Jamstix, Various Applied Accoustic Instruments, Melodyne

dreamixman
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:11 am
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by dreamixman » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:23 am

Im coming from protools to try cubase, so it wasnt that expensive :) cubase seems pretty unresponsive and slow GUI wise, clunky, automation midi/audio is pretty messy, colorizing this is messy too following track color, why? copying or even seeing all my inserts in my main window on each channel is not possible, teach me if Im wrong, but automation visability... if you draw a cartoon, outerline is always black... for a reason :) wtf

User avatar
peAk
Junior Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:33 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by peAk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:36 am

Just the vst instruments and effects alone are worth the price tag.

Real Talk.
Cubase 10.5
Win10 Pro
i7 3.4Ghz 4770 Haswell
16GB
Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Western Digital Black
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
Steinberg UR242
Nektar P4

User avatar
Glenn
Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Glenn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:58 am

infineon wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm
for ProTools being the most expensive DAW makes some sense because 90% of studios use ProTools.
No way 90% of studios use Pro Tools
Cubase 10.5 PRO latest build, Windows 10 PRO 64bit build 1909, RME Hammerfall 96/52, Asus X-470 Mainboard 32GB ram, Samsung 970 NVME M.2 PRO, Ryzen 2700x OC 4.2 ghz, 2x UAD-2 Quad, Benchmark DAC-1, Apogee AD16, Millenia 4 HV3D, SSL XLogic Alpha, Universal Audio LA 610, Focusrite ISA428, Avalon AD2022, Brauner Phantom, Peluso, Shure, Sennheiser EVO, AKG C414, Electro Voice RE-20 and JZ Blackhole then some

User avatar
jorisdeman
Member
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:20 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by jorisdeman » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:24 pm

I think for what it offers, Cubase Pro is tremendous value for money. I started out on Cubase on the Atari, when DAW's didn't even exist and even back then, it was revolutionary. I'be been using midi sequencers and DAWS for over 25 years.

As mentioned, yes, there are alternatives - many that took the groundwork and research that Cubase laid and ran with it; despite that, having been a longtime Cubase, Logic and PT user, for the work I do Cubase comes out on top. None over the level of midi editing Cubase does, and there are a lot of more 'hidden' tools that put others to shame (the PLE for example), Pool management, media bay.

Yes, there are other DAWS that have certain functionalities that Cubase doesn't have - Reaper has taken big strides on the audio side, and is very effdicient - but imho, the GUI is a mess, it has no media bay nor the more advanced media management Cubase has.

Logic - it's only cheap because Apple knows you'll need to buy a Mac to run it. Its midi features seemed to not have been touched for over a decade, whilst the Garage Band side of things keeps improving. It has some great internal synths, in part by Apple buying up developers. But as a DAW. I think Cubase still has the edge.

Anyway, you got to decide whether the feature set is worth it for the kind of stuff you want to do. It might not be right for you - but that doesn't mean its not good value for money.
Nuendo 10, Mac Os Mojave / Windows 10 | iMac Pro 8 core | X-keys |PT Control | VSLE Pro | UAD Apollo Quad via Thunderbolt | Dual Xeon & i7 Hexacore Slave PC's | G-tech G-Raid drives

www.jorisdeman.com

User avatar
The dman
Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:13 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by The dman » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:27 pm

Let's see...I paid $7500 for 3 ADAT machines and a BRC controller, $3500 for a Soundcraft spirit mixer, $9000 for a Mackie digital mixer, $6500 for a refurbished Tascam 16 track reel to reel so when people complain about how much a DAW cost I just shake my head.
Cubase 8.5.15 x64 Windows 10 Home
ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3/ i72600k / G.SKILL Ripjaw (4 x 4GB)/SeaSonic X750 Gold PSU/ RME HDSP 9652 / UAD2Quad// Alphatrack/ Alesis HD24XR

http://www.woodstockschoolofmusic.com/

http://www.davedaltonmusic.com

JohnfromSonar
Junior Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by JohnfromSonar » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:06 pm

I think Cubase Pro is priced about right.

mart
Member
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:21 pm
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by mart » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:21 pm

infineon wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm
I can understand when cubase ws the leading DAW in cubase SX days.
but these days it doesnt make sense to me.
for ProTools being the most expensive DAW makes some sense because 90% of studios use ProTools.
but cubase is just on the same +/- level with StudioOne, Logic, Sonar, Fl Studio etc,
why does it cost so much and .5 upates are not free ? why ?

( please dont get me wrong or turn this question into a heated debate or DAW vs DAW or arguing and so on )
Same metaphorical question: Why is a BMW expensive... I mean Mercedes controls the top of the luxury car market so why cant they sell BMWs for 20 Euro?

Programming DAW software is difficult. It takes thousands of man hours to do so of very skilled people who have to be paid. Cubase is NOT expensive. Its one of the cheapest parts of my entire studio and does the most work
Windows 10 Build 1909 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 10.5, Dorico 3 UAD-2 PCIe (1 x OCTO & 1 x Quad ), Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 with 32gb Slave PC.

triton100

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by triton100 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:47 pm

infineon wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm
I can understand when cubase ws the leading DAW in cubase SX days.
but these days it doesnt make sense to me.
for ProTools being the most expensive DAW makes some sense because 90% of studios use ProTools.
but cubase is just on the same +/- level with StudioOne, Logic, Sonar, Fl Studio etc,
why does it cost so much and .5 upates are not free ? why ?

( please dont get me wrong or turn this question into a heated debate or DAW vs DAW or arguing and so on )
Cubase especially Pro is so advanced and slick. It’s an incredible piece of software. And I would say worth the money. I tried Logic Pro for a while and although equally as good, cubase has the edge for me in terms of innovation, use, plugins, UI and just fun to use. And even though logic is so much cheaper due to being subsidised by Apple to get people to buy its hardware, I still keep coming back to cubase.

JackJackdaw
Junior Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:37 am
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by JackJackdaw » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:49 pm

It is a matter of perspective. It is expensive. But it is also good value. And also less expensive than some other stuff.
Cubase Artist 10, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5, 8gb ram, NI KompleteAudio 1

User avatar
Stephen57
Senior Member
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 5:32 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Stephen57 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:44 pm

The dman wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:27 pm
Let's see...I paid $7500 for 3 ADAT machines and a BRC controller, $3500 for a Soundcraft spirit mixer, $9000 for a Mackie digital mixer, $6500 for a refurbished Tascam 16 track reel to reel so when people complain about how much a DAW cost I just shake my head.
Word. TY for posting.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

User avatar
Stephen57
Senior Member
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 5:32 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: why is cubase so expensive ?

Post by Stephen57 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:18 pm

dreamixman wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:23 am
Im coming from protools to try cubase, so it wasnt that expensive :) cubase seems pretty unresponsive and slow GUI wise, clunky, automation midi/audio is pretty messy, colorizing this is messy too following track color, why? copying or even seeing all my inserts in my main window on each channel is not possible, teach me if Im wrong, but automation visability... if you draw a cartoon, outerline is always black... for a reason :) wtf
Nice try troll bot.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

Post Reply

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CombatPython and 7 guests