HiDPI Survey / We need your help!

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
Matthias Quellmann

HiDPI Survey / We need your help!

Post by Matthias Quellmann »

Hi all,

We would like to ask you to participate in a really short survey on your display setup and screen resolution settings.

https://hidpi.questionpro.com

Even if you are not working with a HiDPI display yet, your feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthias
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

suntower

Re: HiDPI Survey / We need your help!

Post by suntower »

Thanks for doing this. FWIW: I am beyond livid that certain plugs (Arturia I mean you) -still- aren't HiDPI usable even after all this time.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

marQs

Post by marQs »

The survey doesn't cover my actual setup: 2 x 28" 1920 x 1080 @ 100 % scaling + 1 x 28" 3840 x 2160 @ 150 % scaling.

Had hidpi on for the 4 k display, otherwise moving plugins from 2 k to 4 k or vice versa resulted in weird rescaling of guis in Cubase 10. Things like black gui boxes or cut off guis.
Experienced some oddities recently, a few plugins like Newfangled Elevate haven't been usable on the secondary 2 k screen (knobs & buttons didn't move). Turned hidpi off again in C 10.5 and now all is back to normal, also the rescaling when moving plugins between displays is cured now.
Cubase 10.5 | WL 10 | Fireface UFX | UAD2 Octo (2x)/Quad PCI-e | Win10 Pro 64 | i7-7820 x | Asus Prime X299-A
http://www.secretsource.de
Authentic Drums - Sample Pack for Slate Trigger: https://www.authentic-audio.de/drum-sa ... e-trigger/

Quietly

Post by Quietly »

Good to see something happening as I honestly cannot use Cubase. 27" 2560 X 1440 ( QHD) which is perfect set to 150%. With HiDPI Off in Cubase it is blurry and tiring on the eyes. With HiDPI On Cubase drops it back to 100% and you need a magnifying glass to read it. Up my scaling to 150% and Cubase ups it to 200% which takes most of it off screen. My only solution was to purchase another DAW. I would love to use Cubase and I would love to update to 10.5. Hope the survey helps Steinberg to sort it out.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Studio One 4.6. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz 4GB RAM. ASUS Radeon R7-259 Graphics Card , Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Komplete Kontrol S61 and HS80M Monitors. Komplete 10 Ultimate, Symphobia, Ozone 8 etc

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder »

Cubase 10 looks awful on Full HD, big blurry fonts and nothing sits right, yet on Ultra HD/4K it doesn't scale properly at all, transport bar longer than screens, plugins either to big or small etc etc.

Compared to Studio One and other daws which looks Great on standard HD and scales superbly on 4K, how do they do this? Is there an auto detection routine that loads the correct resolution template according to the displays it's connected to or is it just really well thought out?

I guess there are 1000's of users out there still using Full HD displays and finding it really uncomfortable using Cubase 10 and have rolled back to 9.xx or another daw. Steinberg need to take notice rather than trying to force people into (what can be expensive) hardware upgrades they really don't want to spend more money on. Cubase 9 looked (and still looks) great on Full HD so Cubase 10 should also.

Launching C10 as supporting Hires/4K was extremely misleading, over a year down the line it still doesn't work on most systems generating a loss of confidence, trust and respect in steinberg.

There should be no need for this survey it should just be sorted and a free update released and not as part of a paid C10.xx update with any other fixes or additional toys or loops.
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

wcreed

Post by wcreed »

Quietly wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:25 am
My only solution was to purchase another DAW.
Why not purchase a larger screen instead?
Bill Reed
Dorico, Cubase, Overture, Sibelius, Finale, Notion
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Forster 190

paaltio

Post by paaltio »

The survey lacks an option to specify why you’re not using HiDPI. Hopefully when also selecting Windows and 150% the reason is obvious!
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core, ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme, 256GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10 (2004), Nuendo 10.3, Cubase 10.5.20, Dorico 3.5.10

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder »

wcreed wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:27 am
Quietly wrote:
A lot of people will be using laptops and wouldn't want to be carrying another screen around with them!
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

guybuss

Post by guybuss »

All I want for xmas is to be able to run Cubase on my 32" screen at QHD resolution with 125% scaling without plugins behaving strangely. This needs to be top priority! I'm not getting any younger and have a busy year ahead without the need for eye and neck strain ;-) I'll happily keep giving you my money if you sort this out asap ;-)

Quietly

Post by Quietly »

wcreed wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:27 am
Quietly wrote:
Partly because I do not see why I should buy another Monitor just because Cubase cannot do what almost every other decent DAW can. Namely Ableton Live, Reaper 6, Bitwig, Studio One 4.6. I am buggered if I can see any justification that after over one year and despite them giving it and I quote "High Priority" the furthest Cubase/Steinberg have gotten to resolving the problem is to hold a survey. :o

Also fresh in my memory is after paying over £1,000 for a Yamaha 01X they dropped driver support and turned it into a door stop. Now Yamaha owns Steinberg and do Yamaha the worlds largest instrument manufacturer really care if I or anyone else goes elsewhere? No not really.

Sorry about the rant but this really is just not good enough.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Studio One 4.6. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz 4GB RAM. ASUS Radeon R7-259 Graphics Card , Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Komplete Kontrol S61 and HS80M Monitors. Komplete 10 Ultimate, Symphobia, Ozone 8 etc

SuperG

Post by SuperG »

Yeesh. I kind if feel for Steinberg, actually, any development house selling a software product. I'm a former SW developer myself. What we have here is the classic 80/20 scenario (90/10 if you wish). You want to put the most amount of effort (read as: money) into meeting the major 80% of your users expectations. Rhetorically speaking - you spend your development dollars to get the most "bang for the buck". Whether or not to intensely focus on HiDPI rescaling is a business decision which may or may not go your way. Traditionally, scaled interfaces are code intensive (read: stealing precious CPU cycles from your beloved plugins). It is only in the very near time frame that *decent* graphic adapters (and drivers) are available (and [this is key] affordable) to the *average* schmoe, whom make up the majority of just about any software product. This new generation of graphics adapters help to allieviate the problem that wasn't economically feasible (for us schmoes). It's also important to note that OS support for real-time scaling has to be there as well...and it hasn't always been there.

IMHO - the timing that Steinberg is using by choosing to focus on scaleable interfaces now is about appropriate. Sorry if their decisions have you stomping off, but the real arbiter here is that 80% user base - they are the bread and butter, and they bring home the bacon.

Personally, I'm happy with a 32" QHD monitor at 100%. They're fairly inexpensive as monitors go - and the large screen has much advantage outside of the DAW as well.

YMMV
Win 10 i7-6700K, Cubase 10.5, Sonar Platinum, Absolute 4, Halion 6, Kontakt 6, Motu 896 MKIII Hybrid, Motu Ultralite MKIII Hybrid, X-Touch

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

Just bring Cubasis 3 GUI engine - that solution for all problems
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

wjoyce

Post by wjoyce »

SuperG wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:15 am

IMHO - the timing that Steinberg is using by choosing to focus on scaleable interfaces now is about appropriate. Sorry if their decisions have you stomping off, but the real arbiter here is that 80% user base - they are the bread and butter, and they bring home the bacon.
They should never have attempted to implement HiDPI in C10 because it wasn't really ready for release. They misled people who based their purchase, partially or wholly, on that feature, and that's not OK. Sure, they're aiming to fix it in the 10.5 cycle, but that doesn't help those who have 10.0 and will have to pay more cash for the upgrade to use it properly. It's just wrong.
Asus Prime Z390-A/Intel Core i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz/16GB RAM/Windows 10 Pro/Cubase Pro 10.5.10/EVGA GTX1050Ti

djelonh

Post by djelonh »

and we need your help !
cubase 10.5.5 is the worst upgrade EVER and I am with Steinberg since Cubase 4
Cubase 10.5.12
Mojave 10.14.6
iMac 27' (Late 2012), 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 , 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Thal

Post by Thal »

Outsounder wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:52 pm
Cubase 10 looks awful on Full HD, big blurry fonts and nothing sits right, yet on Ultra HD/4K it doesn't scale properly at all, transport bar longer than screens, plugins either to big or small etc etc.

Compared to Studio One and other daws which looks Great on standard HD and scales superbly on 4K, how do they do this? Is there an auto detection routine that loads the correct resolution template according to the displays it's connected to or is it just really well thought out?

I guess there are 1000's of users out there still using Full HD displays and finding it really uncomfortable using Cubase 10 and have rolled back to 9.xx or another daw. Steinberg need to take notice rather than trying to force people into (what can be expensive) hardware upgrades they really don't want to spend more money on. Cubase 9 looked (and still looks) great on Full HD so Cubase 10 should also.

Launching C10 as supporting Hires/4K was extremely misleading, over a year down the line it still doesn't work on most systems generating a loss of confidence, trust and respect in steinberg.

There should be no need for this survey it should just be sorted and a free update released and not as part of a paid C10.xx update with any other fixes or additional toys or loops.
I am one of those who upgraded yet are using 9.5, because 10 looked very, very weird to say the least, on a FHD screen. I dont have a problem adapting to certain UI changes, but your eyes should not struggle while working on a project.
All the best,
Thal

Windows 7 Ultimate
Cubase Pro 9.5.30 and C10.0.20
Mr816X
i7 8700k

kaz911

Post by kaz911 »

Good software scales - it is that simple.

I have multiple monitors - and the good software knows when I drag from 49” @100% to my Notebook screen 15” @ 200% (4K) - WITHOUT I have to specify anything.

Perfect software have modifiers for each screen so you can ALSO select your own magnification level for each screen and remembers it - I would say that is how Cubase should be - each person has different requirement (and vision for that matter) - so it should start at the “Windows” setting for scaling - but allow for custom scaling.

Bad software on the other hand (Like Davinci Resolve) requires a program restart to figure out it has moved between scaled / non-scaled screens.

msy

Post by msy »

I am missing options for 32:9 and 32:10 screens in this survey. Super Ultrawide screens, also in 4k..... Next buy for me will be this..
Cubase Pro 10.5.20
HALion 6.3.1
Soundcard: RME Digiface USB with ADA8200 + ARC USB
DAW: AMD Ryzen 3950x | ASUS Prime x570-P | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz | Intel p660 NVMe M.2 2TB | Samsung EVO SSD 250GB SATA | Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5700 XT (set to PCIE 3.0 in BIOS w/drivers Adrenaline v19.11.3)
Screen: Philips 439P9H (Curved SuperWide 32:10) @ 3840x1200
Computer related hardware: 2xUAD-2 Duo PCIE, BCF2000 (MCU), Nord Wave, Eurorack via ES3/ADAT
Other DAWs: Bitwig 3.2

ANeeman

Post by ANeeman »

Now I don't really understand how HiDPI works. In October I bought new laptop and Cubase 10 was blurry for the resolution I choose in Windows prefs. Then I swithc HiDPI on and was happy that everything was okay - sharp picture and also new GUIs of plugins of NI works good. Then I bought upgrade to 10.5 and HiDPI is switched off, but everything is fine. Tried to switch on, then off - nothing's changed. Maybe there is a bug?
Cubase Pro 10.5, WaveLab Pro 10.0, Dorico Elements 3.5, HALion 6, HSO, KOMPLETE 12 U CE, Spitfire Albion ONE
UR242, MG10XU, MG12XU, CS1x, M-Audio Oxygene-25.
Desktop: Windows 10 Home, 3.4 GHz, 16 GB / Laptop: Windows 10 Pro 2.0 GHz, 20 GB.
Albums: Presence (2019) | Millectrinium (2018) | Nature. Water (2017) | Oracle (2017) | Two. Midnight Talks (2015)

msy

Post by msy »

To clearify my post above, this resolution is missing in the survey: 5120x1440 (Super Ultrawide)...
Cubase Pro 10.5.20
HALion 6.3.1
Soundcard: RME Digiface USB with ADA8200 + ARC USB
DAW: AMD Ryzen 3950x | ASUS Prime x570-P | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz | Intel p660 NVMe M.2 2TB | Samsung EVO SSD 250GB SATA | Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5700 XT (set to PCIE 3.0 in BIOS w/drivers Adrenaline v19.11.3)
Screen: Philips 439P9H (Curved SuperWide 32:10) @ 3840x1200
Computer related hardware: 2xUAD-2 Duo PCIE, BCF2000 (MCU), Nord Wave, Eurorack via ES3/ADAT
Other DAWs: Bitwig 3.2

Marco Muñoz-Soccio

Post by Marco Muñoz-Soccio »

Hi,

See pictures included below.

My channel settings window will not fit on my 27 " 4k monitor. it overlaps on my 40"
I tried different scaling methods. Or it's too small, or it overlaps.
Cubase does not detect the borders of my screen.
On the other hand, my mediabay window fits nicely on my 27".

Hope you guys will fix the scaling issue.
Hopefully vector based will be implemented.

greetings
Marco
Channel settings.jpg
(1.22 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Channel settings 2.jpg
(1.26 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Mediabay.jpg
(1.36 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase 10.5.Win10home.
Fractal Design R6 define:
i9 9900K stepping R0@4.7GHZ | Corsair 64GB mem | Gigabyte Z390 Designare | Gigabyte GTX 1660 super |
Samsung 970 EVO plus 1 TB nvme | 3x Crucial 2 TB SSD | Samsung 860 512 GB SSD
Soundcard : TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt
Tannoy Reveal 5A active + KRK subwoofer
40 inch 4K monitor + 2x 27 inch 4K monitor

TomassoAlbinoni

Post by TomassoAlbinoni »

Ok, so I am Nuendo 10 user, but I think the problem might be the same in Cubase.
I have scaling issues with HiDPI.

My main screen is 24", 1920x1200, windows 100% scale.
My secondary screen is 50" 4K TV, with default 200% windows scaling.

No option is really working for me:

1)
- HiDPI turned off
- my standard windows scaling set as above (100% on main, 200% on secondary)
- secondary screen (50" 4K TV) is used as video preview

What happens? When the secondary screen is used, GUI on the main screen fails to work: menus don't work, toolbox sometimes fails to works properly (example: can't choose color for track/whatever). To have it functional, I have set a special Workspace with no secondary screen used.
But that's a pain in the ass to change it every now and then, and usually the timeline viewing settings vary between before and after changing the workspace.

2)
- HiDPI turned ON
- my standard windows scaling set as above (100% on main, 200% on secondary)
- secondary screen (50" 4K TV) is used as video preview

What happens? Well, the GUI issues are no more - everything works smoothly. But the video is ZOOMED, because my secondary screen has windows 300% scaling.
So whenever I want to work with HiDPI enabled, I have to change my windows scaling on secondary screen to 200%, to avoid the video being zoomed.

Currently I prefer to pick the second option, as it is less inconvenient than jumping between Workspaces.

However, I would suggest adding ZOOM/SCALE option to video preview RPM settings (plus add them to fullscreen mode of video), as currently the only thing you can change is the window size and aspect ratio.
Then I could keep my standard, default windows scaling and have everything up and running in Nuendo/Cubase.

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot »

Is completing HiDPI support the reason 10.50.10 hasn't made it's way into the wild yet? We're quickly approaching February which is when the second maintenance release is usually released. Meanwhile, we haven't even seen the first yet.

If getting HiDPI right is the hold-up, I don't think people would necessarily mind but some communication would be appreciated at this point (similar to the communications around the ARA2 delays).

djgraver

Post by djgraver »

With Nvidia settings you can adjust scaling for Cubase, its not solve issue at all, but can be as temporary solution
Win10 x64;Core i5-4670;16GB RAM;SSD system HDD library;Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB
Cubase (always last update)

Glorian_Gray

Post by Glorian_Gray »

Outsounder wrote:

I put my signature under each word spelled here! Me personally, use powerful 15 inch laptop with FHD screen under 125% scalling and see no reason to buy 4k expensive monitors. I purchased Studio One on Splice in rent-to-own, and it scalled to my monitor automatically without any graphic issues!
Cubase Pro 10 | Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60GHz | 8Gb Memory | 1TB Solid State Drive | Windows 10 Pro (1903)| Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface

Glorian_Gray

Post by Glorian_Gray »

Glorian_Gray wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:55 pm
Outsounder wrote:

I put my signature under each word spelled here! Me personally, use powerful 15 inch laptop with FHD screen under 125% scalling and see no reason to buy 4k expensive monitors. I purchased Studio One on Splice in rent-to-own, and it scalled to my monitor automatically without any graphic issues!
UPDT

I talked to Yamaha tech support here in Moscow / Russia, and they said that Cubase's interface is hand-drawn old interface, in other hand Studio One's is vector based interface - for this reason Cubase has so many glitches and bugs in it's interface.
Cubase Pro 10 | Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60GHz | 8Gb Memory | 1TB Solid State Drive | Windows 10 Pro (1903)| Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface

Return to “General”