no sound on imported midi file

All about our Cubase LE and Cubase AI OEM bundle software.
Balfp

no sound on imported midi file

Post by Balfp »

I have downloaded a midi file which plays on media player. I have imported it into an empty project in Cubase LE 4 and all the tr acks show. When I play it I can hear the click (metronome) but not anything else. The meters do not show any signal. Do I have to set up any Midi devices? Audio tracks and Addictive drums VST both work.

Vista
Alesis io-2

Re: no sound on imported midi file

Post by Guest »

What VSTi are you using to play back the file?

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

Thanks for the reply. How can I find out?

Post by Guest »

What's selected as the output of the track and what kind of track is it?

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

There are 13 midi instrument tracks, named as different instruments

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

If i choose the first track and use Halione I get an output. When I saw a midi file imported on youtube it was just imported and then played. All the individual tracks did not need to be allocated an instrument for the music to play.
Sorry, I'm new to all this!

Post by Guest »

Doesn't work that way. MIDI is data, not audio. In LE4 you have to use Instrument Tracks, select a VSTi as the output and then select the desired preset for the desired instrument/ sound.

You can download a General MIDI VSTi from Steiny's FTP site called Universal Sound Module or go to kvraudio and download a free one there that will make selecting sounds a little easier. You get to the FTP site via the downloads page at steinberg.net.

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

Halion One should have a GM bank too though, and I think there is a preference somewhere where you can select which VST to use when importing GM files. Don't know if that's in your version though.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

Sorry for some reason I got locked out of this forum yesterday. What I would like to do is shown in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaD4J9-VJkk
He just imports it and it works!

Lotney

Post by Lotney »

I'm having exactly the same problem with LE 5. Hope somebody can give us a useful answer. Getting very frustrated. Already had enough problems just getting e licenser to work properly.
Lotney.

Post by Guest »

Is it importing to MIDI or Instrument tracks?

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

I have a midi file on my desktop. I open a new empty project in Cubase 4 LE. I drag the midi file from the desktop onto the project. The file loads all the instrument tracks with the names of the instruments. I click on play and I can hear the metronome but none of the channel level meters show anything and I hear no music. If I set an output on one track to Halione and select a preset I can hear that track when I play. On the above YouTube the file is imported and plays without having to set each channel. This is how I would like it to work for me.

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

So what is selected as output for the instrument track after importing the file? No VST instrument at all? Or does it select HalionOne but it just doesn't play?

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

The output is blank - no VST

Post by Guest »

Balfp wrote:The output is blank - no VST
There's your issue then.

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

Hmm, been digging a bit, it appears HalionOne is not really reliable for this. I seem to remember I used it a couple of times without problems, but you are not the only one reporting it doesn't automatically select instruments. Try USM from the link Mashedmitten posted.

Something tells me there is an option in the preferences somewhere where you can select the default VST to use when importing GM midi files, have a look for that and see which VSTi you can select there, then try importing again.

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

Thank you for the advice. When I installed Cubase from the CD HalionOne was installed at the same time. I then installed Addictive Drums. Could you tell me how to change from HalionOne to the one you suggested?

Lotney

Post by Lotney »

I have the following "Devices" connected if this helps anybody solving my problem. In Midi Port Setup, I have "Microsoft Wavetable SW Synth" as my output. In "VST Audio System" I have ASIO DirectX full duplex driver with SoundMAX Digital Audio 1 & 2 as output ports and for "VST System Link" I have SoundMAX Digital Audio - 1 for ASIO Input & ASIO Output. If anyone can solve my problem it would be much appreciated or I might have to give up trying to use Midi and just play "Live". (Heaven forbid) Kind Regards to all.
Lotney.

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

I have looked on Steinberg's site and found the USM but it is for MAC not Windows!

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

It's also for PC, see here: click.

I think you can just download both files there, go to where you installed Cubase, open the VSTplugins folder (there is probably another VST plugins folder inside the first, open both.) Now create a folder called USM and put both files in there. Restart Cubase and you should be able to select it as instrument track output.

I'll have a look on my own system when I get the chance concerning the automatic selection of the output VST, will get back to you on that.

@Lotney: You don't need VST system link, doesn't hurt but that's for linking multiple PC's together and streaming audio between them. You should also download and install asio4all and use that instead of the DirextX driver. Will not solve your problem but it'll save you trouble later ;)

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

Thanks for that. I have followed your instructions and now have USM as an option in output VSTs. I feel there must be some setting to tell Cubase which VST to use when importing midi files otherwise how would it know which one to use. I have looked through the preferences but cannot find it. Maybe what I am trying to do is not possible with Cubase 4 LE.

If anyone has managed to import a midi file and have the instruments automatically set for each channel, in Cubase 4 LE, perhaps they could tell me how.

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

As you can see I have Cubase artist 6. The setting you are looking for is found in preferences in the tab midi files. The last item on that screen is a dropdown menu where you can select what cubase has to do with the imported midi files. I have 3 options there, one of which is using Halion Sonic SE multitimbral. You don't have HSSE in Cubase 4 LE, but USM should be able to do exactly the same thing.
I hope for you the setting is there as well, if it isn't then I'm afraid you've run into a limitation of C4LE.

Balfp

Post by Balfp »

Please see screenshot of preferences. I can't see anywhere to set the VST.
Attachments
midiFile.jpg
Screen Shot of Preferences
(55.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap »

Balfp wrote:Please see screenshot of preferences. I can't see anywhere to set the VST.
No, you can´t. The dropdown only exists since ver. 6
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

I see, didn't know that. In that case I'm afraid the only option you have is to manually assign the right instruments in HalionOne. Inconvenient, but not much else you can do. Apart from buying Cubase 6 :P

Return to “Cubase LE and Cubase AI”