Tapping QWERTY keyboard to create rhythm in real time

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
ephan

Tapping QWERTY keyboard to create rhythm in real time

Post by ephan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:41 am

Is it possible to tap a key like the space bar on the QWERTY keyboard to enter the rhythm in real time. Thanks.
Last edited by ephan on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Re: Tapping QUERTY keyboard to create rhythm in real time

Post by MarcLarcher » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:50 am

I guess the answer would be to use the MIDI recording feature and use y (for percussion) or a, b, c, d, e, f, g for pitched instruments. See Alan Silvestri's YouTube interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAN-ROVLZzQ, at 4'13" he seems to use that trick a lot (along with the (L)ock rhythm mode in Note Entry mode.
Marc Larcher

OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.1.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 2020.1.14(9.0.2))
French is my native language

ephan

Re: Tapping QUERTY keyboard to create rhythm in real time

Post by ephan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Thank you, Marc for your response. I actually came up with the question after watching the interview video. It seems that this feature only works with a MIDI device using the MIDI recording feature. However, it would be more convenient to be able to use a QWERTY keyboard or tap on a button on a touch screen like the way you tap to enter the tempo in a metronome app. This would be a much faster way to enter the rhythm. I will try to find a virtual MIDI keyboard if it is available.

PaulWalmsley
Steinberg Employee

Re: Tapping QWERTY keyboard to create rhythm in real time

Post by PaulWalmsley » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 pm

The difficulty with this is that I don't think the accuracy of the events you get from qwerty or mouse input will be enough to be able to correctly enter the rhythms. I think there's a lot of jitter in the timing of keyboard events. When you use the keyboard or mouse with tap tempo that is quite different because it uses averages to smooth out the timing variations. I would be interested to hear how you get on with a virtual MIDI device, but I wouldn't expect good results.
Architect & Developer - Steinberg London

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Keyboard buffers are good news for fast typists but would be bad news for the input of quick rhythms.
Dorico Pro 3.5.0.1020, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

ephan

Post by ephan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 am

Thank you, Paul and Derrek for your input so I guess the time resolution is not good enough. I was hoping that tapping in the rhythms would be a lot simpler and would not need the accuracy of the MIDI recording. One can play a lot of notes at a very fast speed with expression on a MIDI keyboards. If the system is not busy then the input should not be held in the buffer and quantization should also help. When typing text in notepad I don't notice any delay but the timing has be measured to know for sure. I downloaded one of the virtual keyboards and I will try it when I have more time. I'm still new to Dorico so I need to figure how to set up a MIDI device in Dorico.

Bollen

Post by Bollen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:23 am

ephan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 am
Thank you, Paul and Derrek for your input so I guess the time resolution is not good enough. I was hoping that tapping in the rhythms would be a lot simpler and would not need the accuracy of the MIDI recording. One can play a lot of notes at a very fast speed with expression on a MIDI keyboards. If the system is not busy then the input should not be held in the buffer and quantization should also help. When typing text in notepad I don't notice any delay but the timing has be measured to know for sure. I downloaded one of the virtual keyboards and I will try it when I have more time. I'm still new to Dorico so I need to figure how to set up a MIDI device in Dorico.
Are you located in London? If so you can have my MIDI keyboard...

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:39 pm

There are other midi controllers out there that are not in [piano] keyboard form. Perhaps one of those would suit your needs better. Perhaps you could use something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gJlBPD_BwE to tap in rhythms and then assign your favorite shortcuts to the other pads.
🎵 Director of Sacred Music, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer; Adjunct Organ Instructor at Goshen College
💾 Dorico 3.5 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk 5 Advanced, StudioOne pro 4.6, On1 2020, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia, Wavelab Elements
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, 3m Organ Console

Return to “Dorico”