How can I copy a volume curve

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Focist

How can I copy a volume curve

Post by Focist » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 am

Is it possible if I have a lead vocal and a doubled vocal If I use the drawing tool on the lead vocal to create a volume curve can I copy the volume curve to my doubled vocal if its possible please let me know how I dont want to draw a volume curve for each piece of audio if they are doing the samething if I can copy to get my point across
Focist while your vision is clear

f.e

Re: How can I copy a volume curve

Post by f.e » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:09 am

Select your automation carefully (don't miss a point), then put your locator at the first point of this automation. Select the new automation track, hit Ctrl + V.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 | i7 860 @ 3.37GHz | 16,00 GB DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe | 1024MB GeForce GTX 660 Ti | RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface | RME Fireface 800 | Steinberg Cubase 7.5

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:12 am

Unless your talking about a volume curve on the clip itself then I don't think it's possible to copy.
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Focist

Post by Focist » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:15 am

See I know how to do it that way im talking about on the actual audio wav using the drawing tool to create a volume curve the faders dont move when you do it this way

Focist

Post by Focist » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:17 am

ok thats what I wanted to know was it possible thanks bros!!! I guess I will do it the other way

GargoyleStudio

Post by GargoyleStudio » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:13 pm

I think you could edit the volume curve on the clip and place it in a part which you can then share between the two tracks. I'm sure that's what I do sometimes to double or duplicate things with complex edits/comps/volumes/offlineProcessing (e.g. dup choruses etc.).

Mike.
[Win10x64 latest, Cb10.5 latest, MOTU PCIe, UAD2, Waves, Soundtoys, O9N, Arturia, Omnisphere]

Focist

Post by Focist » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:46 am

GargoyleStudio wrote:I think you could edit the volume curve on the clip and place it in a part which you can then share between the two tracks. I'm sure that's what I do sometimes to double or duplicate things with complex edits/comps/volumes/offlineProcessing (e.g. dup choruses etc.).

Mike.
If thats possible how do I do it if you can explain Sir

GargoyleStudio

Post by GargoyleStudio » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:23 pm

Certainly, here's a method that I just tested:

1. Select the audio event that you want to 'share'

2. Right click and select audio->eventToPart. You now have an audio part which contains the audio event

3. Duplicate the audio part using Shift-Alt-Left-Click-Drag-Drop. Do this as many times as you want

4. You now have a 'shared' or 'ghosted' part, i.e. if you edit one version the other will change too. Note that the part name is now in italics to indicate that it's shared.

5. So, to edit, open the part by double clicking the part and edit the clip level handles on the event inside. The other shared part(s) will update at the same time and you can even see it happening in the project window!!

Mike.
[Win10x64 latest, Cb10.5 latest, MOTU PCIe, UAD2, Waves, Soundtoys, O9N, Arturia, Omnisphere]

Focist

Post by Focist » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:15 pm

GargoyleStudio wrote:Certainly, here's a method that I just tested:

2. Right click and select audio->eventToPart. You now have an audio part which contains the audio event

3. Duplicate the audio part using Shift-Alt-Left-Click-Drag-Drop. Do this as many times as you want

4. You now have a 'shared' or 'ghosted' part, i.e. if you edit one version the other will change too. Note that the part name is now in italics to indicate that it's shared.

5. So, to edit, open the part by double clicking the part and edit the clip level handles on the event inside. The other shared part(s) will update at the same time and you can even see it happening in the project window!!

Mike.
Ok buddy im about to try it right now thankyou for helping me

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Mike.
I was assuming (always a bad thing to do) that the OPs doubled vocal wasn't a cloned track but was actually a "proper" double?
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Focist

Post by Focist » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Split wrote:

Mike.
I was assuming (always a bad thing to do) that the OPs doubled vocal wasn't a cloned track but was actually a "proper" double?
Its not cloned I actually record the the lead twice to give the vocals that punch i just turn the doubled vocal down always

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:36 pm

Focist wrote:
Split wrote:

Mike.
Its not cloned I actually record the the lead twice to give the vocals that punch i just turn the doubled vocal down always
So Gargoyles suggestion wont work?
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Focist

Post by Focist » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:41 pm

You Right!!!!!!!!!! splits it wont not that way

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:44 pm

What is the problem with using the track automation? You are basically describing the usage it was built for. The individual clips have their own value. The track is to make it relate to another track. If it isn't a clone, then use the fader automation. Again, that's exactly what they are for.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

Focist

Post by Focist » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:16 am

JMCecil wrote:What is the problem with using the track automation? You are basically describing the usage it was built for. The individual clips have their own value. The track is to make it relate to another track. If it isn't a clone, then use the fader automation. Again, that's exactly what they are for.
Yea the problem in using the fader automation after i already set my volumes that sound great in the mix doing the other way dont affect the fader

GargoyleStudio

Post by GargoyleStudio » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 am

Aha, yes, that won't work on two different audio clips...

So I have a couple of extra suggestions...

One is to add in another plugin which just has a volume control and then automate that. Then you can easily copy the plugin and the automation to the doubled track or section... And you don't have to touch the main channel faders.

The other one is to group the two doubled vocals and make volume changes by cutting up the clips, cross-fading sections and adjusting the clip volumes on the info line. I quite often do this sort of thing as a quick alternative to riding the volume. So, for instance, I have a loud pop and I cut either side of it, expand the pop section to overlap, press X (crossfades at both ends) and then reduce the volume of the pop clip. This gives me a volume ramp in and out.

Mike.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:31 am

Focist wrote:
JMCecil wrote:What is the problem with using the track automation? You are basically describing the usage it was built for. The individual clips have their own value. The track is to make it relate to another track. If it isn't a clone, then use the fader automation. Again, that's exactly what they are for.
Yea the problem in using the fader automation after i already set my volumes that sound great in the mix doing the other way dont affect the fader
To be honest I have no idea what you are saying. Set the faders, then gang them.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Wow, this was a good post. Thanks to all of you, first for the question, and then the responses. I learned something.
Cubase 10 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 10, Groove Agent 5, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (1909 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI-E card), 1K iRig Pads via USB.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”