Midi port selection

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Lyntonc

Midi port selection

Post by Lyntonc » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:18 pm

I am using midi with Cubase for the first time. I have no problem using instruments from Halion Sonic or Microsoft Wavetable. In addition, I have loaded the Bassmidi driver which Cubase recognizes and displays in it's midi port list. However, when I try to pick the Bassmidi driver for a track, Cubase freezes and Task Manager is needed to shut it down.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Midi port selection

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi,

I don't know this Massmidi driver. What device is it? In any case it seems, the driver doesn't work stable. I would recommend to reinstall it and make sure you have the very latest version installed.

If it's some kind of virtual driver, make sure there is no MIDI loop.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Lyntonc

Post by Lyntonc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi Martin,
Bassmidi works well with other apps. It is a virtual driver which permits the loading and using of Soundfonts. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by ensuring 'there is no MIDI loop'.

Thanks for the response

Lynton Cooke

planarchist

Post by planarchist » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Lyntonc wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:45 pm
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by ensuring 'there is no MIDI loop'.
With such virtual devices it is possible to end up with MIDI data being sent from Cubase to the virtual device which then sends the data back to Cubase and then back to the the virtual driver....etc, etc. Thus a MIDI loop which causes instability if not a complete crash of one or the other.
Nic

Cubase Pro 10.5, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, RME Digiface, Behringer ADA8200, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 10.5. Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , Steinberg CI2+.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 2.5 iPad Mini 4 64GB

Lyntonc

Post by Lyntonc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Don't think I'm doing that as I have 'Bassmidi' setup to be only as an output port. Can anyone suggest an alternative that works OK. My objective is to use Cubase with Soundfonts.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Lyntonc wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:58 pm
Don't think I'm doing that as I have 'Bassmidi' setup to be only as an output port. Can anyone suggest an alternative that works OK. My objective is to use Cubase with Soundfonts.
Does the 'Bassmidi' have MIDI Out? Isn't your MIDI track in Cubase set to All MIDI Inputs?

I would recommend to use some VST plug-in (Instrument) as a Soundfont player. Use KVRaudio to search for some.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Lyntonc

Post by Lyntonc » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks for the info Martin, much appreciated by a total neophyte. I'll try the VST route.

Return to “General”