dorico. sound issues. Topic 1 of 1000

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
sasha1961

dorico. sound issues. Topic 1 of 1000

Post by sasha1961 »

Hello brothers

I bought Dorico 1, since I've figured - hey, Steinberg is doing this. Gotta be good. Well, audio isn't working (outside generic ASIO driver, which I'm not going to be seriously consider), MIDI isn't working. Oh, well. "We fix the soon". OK, I'll wait. oh, look, update. Nope. Not fixed. But rumor has it that version 2 will be released soon. Good, I'll be using Sibelius meanwhile. And the day of the 2.0 pro arived. Well, where is my wallet. I know it is plain stupid - paying again for the software that you haven't used, but I have hope. This time it has a word "pro" in it's name - they got to have professional features like set up interface for complex sound card setups (many outputs, like PROs are using) and they have to know that it is possible for pros to use more than one MIDI port for inputs. And they will for sure have it integrated with Cubase, at least on import/export level.
No.
No sound.
But wait - Cubase works. ProTools works. SIbelius works. Media players works. How is that possible? One would expect that being a Steinberg product, Dorico will just look at Cubase settings and simply import that, right? Wrong. Is the Dorico REALLY Steinberg software? Grrrrr.
And my setup isn't something unusual for the pro: MOTU interface (828x thunderbolt), MIDI sport 4x4 for multiple midi controllers. What is wrong with testing such common pro setups? And I am asking that, being software QA manager for ten years in my non-musical life.
Of course I looked for answers in forums. The most promising answer is "we will be fixing that soon, if you in a hurry - we will send you the instructions of how to do it manually". Yes, that would be nice. But why not post it, if you didn't found the time to do it right in the first place? Why secretly send it upon request to selected users? I don't get it.
Why do we have to play with system settings making sure that our outputs and inputs are first ones, so Dorico won't get confused?... Steinberg already knows the answer of how to handle it in so many years of Cubase and Nuendo development.
Please fix it. Not only for me - for everyone that have being your loyal paying customers for many many many many years.
Proud Steinberg user since Atari,
- Sasha
PS. Attached please find a zip file with something that may or may not be useful.
PPS. And yes, I've watched the troubleshooting video to the end.
Attachments
Dorico Diagnostics.zip
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 17 times

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Re: dorico. sound issues. Topic 1 of 1000

Post by Ulf »

Sorry, but could you please explain a little more rather than just saying 'it does not work'. I'm more than happy to help, but need more information.

I've had a look through the log files and from what I can see there, it does work as expected:

Your MOTU is recognized and Dorico's output is routed to the main outs of it. If you would like the audio to come out of a different out port, with Dorico 2 you have now the possibility to change the routing in the Edit > Device Setup dialog.

As for the MIDI inputs, Dorico recognizes the MIDIsport and all of it's ports. Also, already since version 1, Dorico accepts input from any MIDI port it can find, that's why there is no MIDI setup dialog. So also here, Dorico should accept MIDI input from any of your MIDIsport inputs. Only thing you might need to check, under Edit > Preferences, scroll down all the way to the Play section, is the option "Enable MIDI Input" ticked?
Steinberg employee

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

Unfortunately Ulf is not quite correct in one thing he says above: Dorico 2.0 does not have an option for choosing the pair of outputs to use in Edit > Device Setup, but this option will be included in the forthcoming free update.

Daniel at Steinberg

Also, one further thought: Sibelius users in particular sometimes get tripped up by the fact that you need to show the note input caret before MIDI input will work. In Sibelius you can select a note or rest and then play on your MIDI keyboard, and (whether you like it or not) start inputting notes (and potentially overwriting existing music). In Dorico you have to be more intentional and actually type Shift+N or Return to show the caret before you start inputting from your keyboard.

sasha1961

Post by sasha1961 »

Attached please find the screenshots. Daniel, forget Sibelius. (which I've also payed lots of money for) i just want Steinberg products behave like a microsoft office: like it or not - they communicate - word knows about excel. Quick dialog box: look, we've found 3 versions of cubase! would you like us to import settings from it? (ok, skip, more info). It is really not that difficult. And about future version improvement - please forgive me for being cynical - I've been waiting for that since Dorico 1. So, Dorico 1, 1.1, 1.12, 1.2.1 and now Dorico Pro 2.0. See what I mean?
dor_01.JPG
(56.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
dor_02.JPG
(37.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
dor_03.JPG
(40.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Re- whats wrong : - it needs to be routed to analog outs 1 and 2. For now.
Thanks, kindest regards,
- sasha

Daniel at Steinberg

I don't think your analogy is completely apt, since Word doesn't import settings from Excel, but I understand your point of view. To you, Cubase and Dorico are the same product and so they must share their settings. I don't think this is really a good approach, but I do agree that it is important that over time Dorico should provide the same level of set-up for audio and VST that Cubase does. It's not trivial to achieve this, and we have to balance those requirements with all of the other areas of functionality that Dorico needs to provide, since we have a limited number of developers and limited development time.

sasha1961

Post by sasha1961 »

Good that you see my point. Although I have to say that developers are limited everywhere. So is development time. Meanwhile, you had my money for a couple of years (plus another 100 today for the 2.0 pro upgrade) and I do not have a working product. Screw me, i'm just an existing customer? What to do? Hint: Waiting for a new update IS NOT a valid option.

sasha1961

Post by sasha1961 »

and yes, if it IS the SAME company with SHARED development resources and NOT the company the steinberg purchased in hope to integrate it later - it IS that trivial.

Daniel at Steinberg

If you bought Dorico two years ago but didn't get it working then I hope that is not because you asked for our support and it was not given. When it comes to these kinds of audio setup issues, I do not know anybody who is more dogged and thorough in resolving the issues than Ulf. In his initial reply in this thread, Ulf has asked you for more information: he says that both your MOTU and your MIDISport are reported as correctly detected in the diagnostic report you've attached. I think from your comment above:
Re- whats wrong : - it needs to be routed to analog outs 1 and 2. For now.
you have now achieved playback because you have changed the routing on your setup? But please let me know if that is not the case.

For MIDI input, would you mind following these steps and let me know where what you experience diverges from what I describe:

1. Start a new empty project, add a solo player, and assign a piano instrument to the player.
2. Switch to Write mode.
3. Select the first quarter rest in the right-hand piano staff.
4. Type Shift+N to show the caret.
5. Play a note or chord on your MIDI keyboard. Whatever you played should be input into the score.

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

sasha1961 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:42 am
and I do not have a working product.
Please be fair, you are writing as if it is not working at all. It is just one aspect that is not working as expected. True, an important aspect for you, but it is not that you can't make any use of Dorico at all.

But if you can't wait until the next update, here is what I can offer. Please create an empty project and send it to me (u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de), I'll modify it so that it uses Analog 1/2 as audio output. I send it back to you and you then use always that project as a starting point.
Steinberg employee

sasha1961

Post by sasha1961 »

Ulf - sorry, my friend - but without MIDI and audio - (1.x) - I would call it not working :)
And all of you just carefully avoiding my questions about Cubase integrtion :)
cheers,

- Sasha

Daniel at Steinberg

Forgive me, but I think the only question you have asked about Cubase integration is whether we will make Dorico inherit or copy its settings from Cubase. This is not something that we have any current plans to do, but I would not wish to rule it out altogether as a possibility. However, since not all Dorico users are also Cubase users I think it is more important that we provide the necessary controls within Dorico itself, and we will work on that as the product matures.

sasha1961

Post by sasha1961 »

Ulf - I appreciate the offer and I am to do it tomorrow. (3:34 AM here)
However, next week I will be in a different studio in San Fran - it is going to be a different setup there. And San Diego in a month - same story, yet another complicated setup. We NEED a permanent or at least semi-permanent solution, even if it is like: "please edit XML file", "add the line to property file", "run this script at the command prompt with this parameters"

sasha1961

Post by sasha1961 »

Daniel - clearly I am NOT your QA manager or Product Manager. If it would be me - I would of said something like this:
- Ok, folks. Guys in Dorico dev, who is now writing ASIO and VST integration - you are all getting assigned to a new product development effective immediately. ASIO and VST integration is now responsibility of core Cubase/Nuendo team. And, Bob (John) - who did that softwr piece, remember, that we use to have from 6 to 7 and 8 of cubase: previous version detected, should we import settings? Do we still have a source for that? how many man/hours does it takes to integrate to Dorico?... Thanks, Bob. Lets go for bier later and talk it through

steveparker

Post by steveparker »

Can you not route this in Cuemix?

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

sasha1961 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:36 am
Ulf - I appreciate the offer and I am to do it tomorrow. (3:34 AM here)
However, next week I will be in a different studio in San Fran - it is going to be a different setup there. And San Diego in a month - same story, yet another complicated setup. We NEED a permanent or at least semi-permanent solution, even if it is like: "please edit XML file", "add the line to property file", "run this script at the command prompt with this parameters"
Well, I already posted the instructions some time ago:
viewtopic.php?f=246&t=103743&p=706558#p706558

This is exactly the same procedure that I would do on an empty project if you'd send me one.
I'd even do this several times for you.
Steinberg employee

sasha1961

Post by sasha1961 »

Well, I already posted the instructions some time ago:
viewtopic.php?f=246&t=103743&p=706558&h ... ta#p706558

This is exactly the same procedure that I would do on an empty project if you'd send me one.
I'd even do this several times for you.
Ulf, my friend, why didn't you sent me that link in the first place - i would of shut up long time ago :))))) Instructions are very clear, thank you. And yes, I kinda understand why you didn't want to make this instructions a sticky post. I DID searched for this instructions but couldn't find it, sorry - way to many posts. Life is much better now, we have a solution.
Thank you.
Have a great day, guys.
PS. I still will be grouchy about Cubase integration, but you already know that, right? :)

sasha1961

Post by sasha1961 »

steveparker wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:03 pm
Can you not route this in Cuemix?
I can in theory, even in 828 tab of audio driver setup, i think - but I'm using different ports for different roles in a studio, so don't wont to reroute that every time. However, yes, that could be a workaround under less difficult circumstances.
cheers

steveparker

Post by steveparker »

I have presets set up in Cuemix for different places and rigs.

sasha1961

Post by sasha1961 »

steveparker wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:38 pm
I have presets set up in Cuemix for different places and rigs.
My other studios don't have MOTU... But Ulf provided more elegant (for me) solution anyway. Thanks!

Return to “Dorico”