Bottoms up!

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
ErikSchroder

Bottoms up!

Post by ErikSchroder »

Bottoms up!

Here's a track I composed for my friend's PC game. Don't have much to say about it other than that the loop could have been better but since the audio library the game used didn't do loop points very well, it was better to just loop it from the beginning which means I had to make it stop and fade so it wouldn't sound weird. I'm planning on fixing that for the iPhone release in the summer.

I only used Halion One and Halion Sonic on this one.

I hope you like it!
Hardware: MacBook Pro (2010; i7 2.66 GHz dual core, 8 GB RAM 1066 MHz), KORG SP-250, M-Audio Profire 610.
Software: Cubase 6, Adobe Audition CS5.5, KOMPLETE 8, HALion Sonic, EW/QL libraries (most of the old ones), UVI Soundbanks (Retro Organs, Toy Museum), Zero-G Nostalgia, Ozone 5 Advanced.

twilightsong

Re: Bottoms up!

Post by twilightsong »

Loved it! You've taken two vsti's that are often maligned and made a very nice piece with them. I know you said this is game music, that it will be looped, so the following suggestion may not apply... but at some point in the piece I'd like to hear the shaker that's panned to the right to go from syncopated hits on the off-beat to a steady, 16th note pattern of some sort -- I think that would pick the piece up and give it momentum. But, given that it's going to be looped and subject I suppose to the progress of gameplay, my suggestion might not apply
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

ErikSchroder

Post by ErikSchroder »

Thanks a lot!

Heh, yeah. I do have expensive libraries as well, but I like to make use of the simpler ones as well. More often actually.

Hm, don't know about that shaker idea. I will have to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Hardware: MacBook Pro (2010; i7 2.66 GHz dual core, 8 GB RAM 1066 MHz), KORG SP-250, M-Audio Profire 610.
Software: Cubase 6, Adobe Audition CS5.5, KOMPLETE 8, HALion Sonic, EW/QL libraries (most of the old ones), UVI Soundbanks (Retro Organs, Toy Museum), Zero-G Nostalgia, Ozone 5 Advanced.

Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi

Nice sounding piece of music in it's own right. I presume with game music it has to be able to be cut into at various points as the gamer goes from one section or place to another.

Cheers
Dave
Cubase 6, i5, 8gb ram, Win7 X64, UAD-2, Emu 1820m, Nocturn, Alphatrack .......

Website/blog

ErikSchroder

Post by ErikSchroder »

Thanks, Dave!

Actually, this is the only song in the game. As the levels are very very short, it would be annoying if it switched between the in-game music and the menu music all the time. The song would never finish or even get past the intro at some points.

firestamper

Post by firestamper »

nice sounds , lovely flute it reminds me of jethro tull`s living in the past if you`re old enough to remember it.

Mr M

Post by Mr M »

firestamper wrote:nice sounds , lovely flute it reminds me of jethro tull`s living in the past if you`re old enough to remember it.
Man you called it. The song just started as I read your reference. I like this piece.It sounds like there mau be a timing issue with the bass when it comes in at 1:42. I'm sold to that point so easy to address if there is an issue.
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths

mixup23

Post by mixup23 »

nice blend of instruments
intricate composition
stays fresh and listenable throughout
Something I would try with this to help draw this to a close - at 3:30, add a complimentary, sustained bass/synth note, barely audible at first that increases in volume and overtakes everything else and sits alone for the last few seconds...

excellent effort and results
Michael
Michael Private

the Garden

Cubase Essentials - Creative X-Fi - XP - Martin D12-20 purchased new in 1969 - Cool Edit - Shure SM58 which is still the best mic for pounding nails - MXL2001 russian made condenser mic

You are never alone with a schizophrenic.

ErikSchroder

Post by ErikSchroder »

Mr M wrote:It sounds like there mau be a timing issue with the bass when it comes in at 1:42. I'm sold to that point so easy to address if there is an issue.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I let it be for... I don't know. Life-like performance? That's how I played it.
mixup23 wrote:nice blend of instruments
intricate composition
stays fresh and listenable throughout
Something I would try with this to help draw this to a close - at 3:30, add a complimentary, sustained bass/synth note, barely audible at first that increases in volume and overtakes everything else and sits alone for the last few seconds...

excellent effort and results
Michael
Thanks a lot!

I think I get what you mean. I think I tried something like that very early in the song, but removed it. Might try it again.

bluebob

Post by bluebob »

excellent, nice sound on the flute and keys. a very musical arrangement. well done
Bob
Trent River, Ontario

ErikSchroder

Post by ErikSchroder »

Thank you very much! :D

sav.

Post by sav. »

twilightsong wrote:Loved it! You've taken two vsti's that are often maligned and made a very nice piece with them.
Agreed!

I liked that, you've done a great job there!! :)

Cheers
sav
C4/5 / i7 920 2.66 / 3gig / XP / MR816X / Tannoy reveal actives / Gtr Rig 3 / BFD2 / Trilian / T-racks3 / ik Arc system / and some foam :)

ErikSchroder

Post by ErikSchroder »

Thanks. :D

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”