Cubase crashes while trying to load a project

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
atomicglasgow

Cubase crashes while trying to load a project

Post by atomicglasgow »

Hello. I have been trying all day to open a project which was last saved December 17. The project loads up to a certain point each time then Cubase just crashes. I would be gutted if I cant continue with this project.All plug-ins/Cubase etc are up to date. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Thanks in advance.
Cubase Pro 9.5, iMac17, 4 processors, Intel Core i5, 3.2 GHz, 32 GB,
UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt - OCTO,
Universal Audio Apollo Twin - DUO,

Sonik

Re: Cubase crashes while trying to load a project

Post by Sonik »

Maybe the problem is about some problematic plugin...

This week I installed the last update from Soundtoys and it screw up..
I had to reinstall the other Soundtoys version I had before...
Macbook Pro i9 32gb|Studio One 5|Protools 2020.5|Cubase Pro 10.5.20|Wavelab 10.0.40|Logic X|Apollo Quad|4xUAD-2 (24 core)
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete12 Ultimate|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2.6|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 3|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|Serum|ANA2|Korg Collection 2
UAD|Waves|Soundtoys|Melodyne|Softube|Brainworx|PluginAlliance|Fabfilter|Sonnox|Eventide|Oeksound

bender-offender

Post by bender-offender »

Are you running Cubase 9.5.30? If so, are you using Sonarworks? If so, then that’s the problem.
iMac Pro | Cubase 10.0 because Cubase 10.5 is a piece of sh*t | Mac OS Mojave | RME UFX+

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

Not sure if it will work for you but I have had similar experiences. Try opening up another project first, then open the one that crashes on top of it. Sometimes that works.
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

jimmys69 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:14 pm
Not sure if it will work for you but I have had similar experiences. Try opening up another project first, then open the one that crashes on top of it. Sometimes that works.
This has worked for me too
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

Mike001

Post by Mike001 »

Hi,

I get the same problem also since 9.5.1.
Now have the newest update & it still does the same.

When I can get a project to open I then save 3 versions of it i.e New song a,b & c then hopefully one version will open.

If Cubase crashes when opening for example, New song 20a it will never open it again unless I successfully open another project first.
This won't work from creating an empty project then trying to load New song 20a.

Tried saving a new version of that, lets say 21a & that won't open unless the above is carried out first.

Very frustrating :x , have wasted many hours just trying to load a project.
Can't work out if it's Cubase , Windows7, a plugin or ?????????

All software is up to date.

Sometimes a project will load straight away, first time.
I then do some small change, save a new version.
Shut down Cubase.
Re start Cubase.
Try to load new version & Cubase hangs with aero circle going round & round forever & never loading.

Sometimes I can close Cubase with Task Manager.
Sometimes I have to shut down the PC.

Have spent hours trying to NO avail to do some BL__DY music.

Anyone else experiencing the above or have you found the solution. :lol: :lol: :x :lol: :lol:

Mike001
Never forget your ? . Cubase 9, Scan 3xs Windows7 i7 64bit 16Gig ram,Focusrite 18i6,Mackie HR824 Mk1,Komplete11,Korg Legacy Analog & Digital,Halion6,Sylenth1,Ace,Z3TA,Stutter Edit,Groove Agent4,Arturia V Collection
Yamaha Dx7 Mk1,Ensoniq Asr10,Juno106,Basstation,Super Basstation,Mikro Korg,Yamaha O1v Mk1,Shure SM58,etc,etc

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

I am curious as well. Have a new project in 9.0 Cubase/Windows 7 that suddenly started the behavior. No plugins are different in old/new files. Only Melodyne work on the project that has changed.

I tried 'backup project' to another drive. No fix there. Just more confusion now.

Project opens if another is already opened. Otherwise it fails to load.

Lame. :(
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

Mike001

Post by Mike001 »

Hi,

Has anyone got a fix please. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mike001
Never forget your ? . Cubase 9, Scan 3xs Windows7 i7 64bit 16Gig ram,Focusrite 18i6,Mackie HR824 Mk1,Komplete11,Korg Legacy Analog & Digital,Halion6,Sylenth1,Ace,Z3TA,Stutter Edit,Groove Agent4,Arturia V Collection
Yamaha Dx7 Mk1,Ensoniq Asr10,Juno106,Basstation,Super Basstation,Mikro Korg,Yamaha O1v Mk1,Shure SM58,etc,etc

d0gmA

Post by d0gmA »

I updated to 9.5.30 right after it came out and had no issues till this weekend when I found I can no longer open about 6 projects that I need to work on. I do not have any sonarworks plugs installed and I have tried opening them while i have another project open to no avail. Anyone else have any ideas or work arounds ? I hope steinberg has a follow up patch soon.
27" iMac i7 Quad Core, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab 9.5, Universal Audio Apollo, Houston Controller

d0gmA

Post by d0gmA »

I am a mac user and just found several projects this weekend that I Can no longer open. Does anyone have any other work arounds. has anyone gone back to 9.5.21 ? Is there an easy way to roll back on Mac ? HELP!!
27" iMac i7 Quad Core, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab 9.5, Universal Audio Apollo, Houston Controller

Studios1959

Post by Studios1959 »

I have the same problem on mac.
I had to install the 9.5.0 to open 9.5.20 project that crashed on 9.5.30

Mike001

Post by Mike001 »

Hi,

Has anyone solved this yet...............................

bender-offender

Post by bender-offender »

d0gmA wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 pm
I am a mac user and just found several projects this weekend that I Can no longer open. Does anyone have any other work arounds. has anyone gone back to 9.5.21 ? Is there an easy way to roll back on Mac ? HELP!!
It’s not difficult to roll-back on a Mac. If you have a backup of your system from before you installed 9.5.30, you can just delete the 9.5.30 application file and drag in the 9.5.21 application from your backup.

If you don’t have a backup (and I have not tried this so it may or may not work), you might be able to delete the 9.5.30 app, then reinstall 9.5.0 from the download manager but don’t install the 9.5.30 update. Try to find the 9.5.21 installer somewhere on this forum. I know others have been posting it around.

I found many issues with 9.5.30 right off the bat and rolled back to 9.5.21 quickly. It’s very disappointing that Steinberg doesn’t chime in at all about whether 9.5.30 is a good or failed update (on Mac at least). Based on their silence, it seems to me that (in typical Steinberg fashion) they’re letting these bugs stay and are going to just focus on adding new features while adding more and more eventual bugs.
iMac Pro | Cubase 10.0 because Cubase 10.5 is a piece of sh*t | Mac OS Mojave | RME UFX+

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

Happens to me all the time now. The funny thing is, often it will open up fine when I try it in Nuendo 8.2, but not in Cubase 9.5. But Nuendo also has this exact same issue with other projects. So *knuf* frustrated. This is on 9.5.2, by the way.
Last edited by In_Stereo on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

strummer

Post by strummer »

Froget it, this was a Slate issue, not related...
Last edited by strummer on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop Win 10, i7-10750H, 16 GB ram, M2 SSD, Cubase pro 10.5, Steinberg UR824, Audient ASP800, Presonus Digimax D8, microphones:)

Mike001

Post by Mike001 »

Hi,

Perhaps somehow Cubase is corrupting the file whist saving it, or even corrupting it when loading it.

Would be Great to hear from Steinberg on this matter.

zooterman

Post by zooterman »

Same exact deal being experienced here!! Loads up to a certain point (loads the instrument VSTs etc.) then freezes.

I need to complete this project soon. Please can we have a resolution Steinberg!!

Someone mentioned Sonarworks - I am using Sonarworks but it hasn't prevented projects from opening up in the past. I wonder if the OP is using Sonarworks as well?
Cubase Pro 10.0.10 | Mac Pro 6-core 3.5GHz 32GB RAM | macOS Mojave

zooterman

Post by zooterman »

TEMPORARY SOLUTION (BUT A SOLUTION NONETHELESS).

This worked for me: Open new empty project and import tracks from the problem project into this new empty one. I did all my tracks in one hit, but if it is indeed a plugin causing this, you may want to undertake a careful strategic approach to importing a few tracks at a time.

I say temporary solution because it makes no sense, technically I didn't remove and 'problematic' plugin or anything of that sort, and it may well strike again. Who knows when.

Edit: Now I've just realized some of my FX channels didn't make it through.

Edit 2: I have now discovered that this is because FX channels are not supported through the 'import tracks' feature.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

zooterman wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm
TEMPORARY SOLUTION (BUT A SOLUTION NONETHELESS).

This worked for me: Open new empty project and import tracks from the problem project into this new empty one. I did all my tracks in one hit, but if it is indeed a plugin causing this, you may want to undertake a careful strategic approach to importing a few tracks at a time.

I say temporary solution because it makes no sense, technically I didn't remove and 'problematic' plugin or anything of that sort, and it may well strike again. Who knows when.

Edit 2: I have now discovered that this is because FX channels are not supported through the 'import tracks' feature.
Yes, at this time unfortunately you can only import actual tracks, not groups or FX. But it's a workaround that shouldn't have to happen, so let's hope they are making this a major priority right now.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

zooterman wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Possibly suggesting plugs in those channels were the problem? Please report back if re--adding the same plugs re-introduces the issue.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

d0gmA wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 pm
This is happening to me on 9.5.21, the exact same issue that people are having here.

zooterman

Post by zooterman »

NEW (BETTER) SOLUTION. Better because I was able to open my original troublesome project.

I opened an empty project. Then I loaded my project and did not activate. It loaded with everything disabled (normal behavior).
Then, I closed the initial empty project and automatically Cubase activates my other project (normal behavior).
Cubase loaded up the tracks/instruments, but then it started hanging again. BUT, then I waited, and waited..and waited. And it finally opened up as fully functional - hooray, my original project was back!

I quickly saved it under a new name and have not had the same issue since but I'm not confident it won't happen again.

Was it a bad plug? Maybe. Can so many things go wrong when there are millions of messages going back and forth inside a machine we've programmed ourselves to trust? Yes. Is it sometimes unexplainable and strange? Yes.

As humans, we love identifying a 'one cause'. I'm still curious as to what is that one cause that results in this mess.

Mike001

Post by Mike001 »

Hi zooterman,

Will give it a go this weekend & let you know the outcome.

Here's Hoping. :shock:

Still NO Word from Steinberg.

Glad i'm not the only one with this problem !!!!!!

Mike001

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

Here's why we know it's a Steinberg issue, in my case:

1. These sessions opened perfectly before 9.5 (this has been happening to me since then, but much more often after 9.5.21).
2. Since then, these sessions crash (disappearing act) when opening and getting to a certain plugin.
3. Sometimes the same session will NOT crash at all when opening again a few times.
4. Sometimes the session will open fine in Nuendo 8.2 when it crashes Cubase, and sometimes the opposite.

I haven't added any new plugins in months.

Trashed preferences, yes, which didn't help.

(On a side note: I understand that software companies make mistakes all of the time, but Steinberg's abysmal customer service/support, both with service tickers and here in the forums (i.e. no communication about these things) is driving me away from their products. Man, would it make your customer base much more happy and willing to stay on Cubase/Nuendo if you could get your act together with customer service -- use Waves as a model.)
Last edited by In_Stereo on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

Also, when I delete the tracks that make it crash before activating the project, it loads fine and then I can re-import those tracks from an earlier version. After that it doesn't crash when loading. This says a lot to me about it being something in Cubase.

Return to “General”