Short score <--> Open score
I need to be able to switch around between short score (two staves, SA/TB) and open score (four staves, S/A/T/B) within one flow. Can I use the new divisi feature to handle this? If so, how should I approach it?
- Am I right in thinking there is no way to start with four staves and later compress into two (using the divisi feature)?
- If so, should I think the other way around -- create two instruments (SA and TB) at the start, and then use divisi to expand into open score when needed?
- How do I display the instrument names on two lines, like this?
- When I split a bass line, the default behaviour with clefs is strange. If Dorico thinks I have divided a bass line, why does it give the lower line a treble clef? And how do I fix this?
- Once it's fixed, what do I do with the tenors, who need treble clef on open score but bass clef in short score? Do I need to insert a manual clef change at the start and end of each tenor line in open score? How do I stop these clef changes appearing as, well, clef changes?
Sometimes I need to break off a solo line from the main choir for a short passage. In Sibelius (and Dorico 1), I would have to add a new staff. In Dorico 2, if I understand things correctly, I can use the divisi feature again. But..
- How can I stop the solo staff being grouped (bracketed) with the staves below it? I want it to look like this.
- By default a solo line appears below the staff it’s broken away from. How can I make it appear above?
In short score, it’s normal to show a single line of lyrics halfway between the two staves (if all parts sing the same words and rhythm).
- Is there a clever way to tell Dorico that that’s what I’m doing here (e.g. so it can automatically space them correctly as it does dynamics for a grand staff instrument), or should I just 'fake it' and input them as lyrics for the upper staff as I would in Sibelius, then do the spacing manually?
- If there are minor variations in rhythm or words for one part, you often see an extra syllable or two supplied above/below the staff to make it clear what rhythm is sung. What’s the best way to do this? How can I tell Dorico that the syllable(s) in question ‘belong’ to one voice or the other?