FEATURE REQUEST: "Feature Requests & Suggestions" subsection for Dorico Forum?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
jduesenb

FEATURE REQUEST: "Feature Requests & Suggestions" subsection for Dorico Forum?

Post by jduesenb »

As a new Dorico customer, I notice that a lot of Steinberg Product Forums have a "Feature Requests & Suggestions" subsection. Why isn't there a similar section in the Dorico Forum?

As I learn the software, I find many essential features missing and I don't want to duplicate the requests many others must have made, and would like to see other opinions.

So that's one of my 1st feature requests.

Robby Poole

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: "Feature Requests & Suggestions" subsection for Dorico Forum?

Post by Robby Poole »

Just post them here. Feel free to do a search, but I have come to find the search doesn't do a very good job. If it is a doubled request, so be it.

Robby
Dorico Pro 3.5
Finale (since v2.2), Sibelius (v1.2 through 7.3),
Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: "Feature Requests & Suggestions" subsection for Dorico Forum?

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

For the time being, we in the development team prefer having a single forum to follow rather than many different ones. We don’t mind seeing duplicate feature requests, so please feel free to post them here as you the mood takes you.

Estigy

Post by Estigy »

To add a thought to it:
More often than not, what starts as a feature request end up being either a bug report or people get pointed to already existing documentation.
I fear, adding a Feature Request category on its own will only increase the time to moderate those forums.
Dorico 3.5 on Windows 10
www.dorico-resources.net

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

MakeMusic has separate forums for Questions and Feature Requests, and users are constantly putting questions into the feature request forum (the design of the MM Forums are probably partly to blame); but then helpful users answer the requests with how-to's. The resulting dual forum structure turns out to be a mishmash.

I'm (for one) much happier with Dorico's single-forum structure.
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

mjeva3

Post by mjeva3 »

Two crucial feature requests:

1. real-time MIDI input: I cannot overemphasise how important that is to my workflow. At the moment it is one of the most cumbersome workarounds to have to deal with.

2. VST System Link or some way (MTC, SMPTE?) of locking to another device running Cubase where all the sound design/synth elements are recorded. Absolutely critical. Thank you!

Daniel at Steinberg

Thanks for your requests. Both of them are of course on our radar.

tomhartman

Post by tomhartman »

This post was made in error....thx

TH
Last edited by tomhartman on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

Tom, this is the Dorico forum, not the Cubase forum. Did you mean to post in the Cubase forum?
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Robby Poole

Post by Robby Poole »

This is the Dorico forum, this question might be better served on the Cubase Forum.

Robby
Dorico Pro 3.5
Finale (since v2.2), Sibelius (v1.2 through 7.3),
Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

tomhartman

Post by tomhartman »

Oh my, so sorry! My mistake...thx....

Konstantin Klimov

Post by Konstantin Klimov »

There are two features that I would really love to see in future versions.

1) Re: playing Techniques alternative text property. It would be great if the user could choose to display the alternative text before or after the main text (perhaps a switch/toggle, akin to "Above/Below" options of other properties?). Seeing "poco sul tasto" or "unmeasured key clicks" would be better than "sul tasto poco" and "key clicks unmeasured," respectively. In the meantime, I just input the alternative as plain text and align it manually.

2) A ruler in Engrave Mode. Ideally one that could be switched between inches and millimetres( or even both simultaneously?), with a thin line running from the ruler to the object being moved around on the page (perhaps like the dashed line that currently runs through the middle of a selected hairpin). I believe it would make it easier to align and adjust things visually without the need for excessive calculations.

Thank you for reading!

Daniel at Steinberg

Thanks for your requests, Konstantin.

L3B

Post by L3B »

+1 on Konstantin's number 2 request, i.e. for a ruler with guidelines in Engrave mode.

--LB
Dorico Pro 3.1.10.1032 on MacBook Pro 15-Retina late 2013; MacOS 10.14.6; Intel Core i7, 2.3 GHz; 16GB ram; Intel Iris Pro Graphics; 500GB flash storage; UR22 Mk II audio interface; Technics PX73 digital piano.
Composer, orchestrator, arranger, transcriber, teacher.

Michaelb

Post by Michaelb »

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:07 am
..... We don’t mind seeing duplicate feature requests, so please feel free to post them here as you the mood takes you.
Hello Daniel,

I have two feature requests, both of which I'm sure are duplicates but here goes.

(1) Filter Notes by Value. Currently we do not have the option in the filter list to select notes of a set value. For example, select only all quavers or select only all crotchets etc.

(2) Figured Bass. An oft requested feature and I know there is an excellent option by fkretlow in the thread "Bring on that sweet figured bass" and a workaround using Dorico's text feature. However, I'm certain that when Figured Bass is officially added this will beat any existing notation software.

I would dearly love both of the above and really look forward to having them on board Dorico. :)

Thank you again Daniel and the team for such an excellent program.

Best wishes

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

I would love for a global menu option to allow Dorico to activate the proper "sub mode" when switching to engrave mode if you already have an object selected. I cannot express how vexing it can be when I make a large selection (multiple lines of lyrics for example) and lose my selection because the last time I was in engrave mode I had edited a text frame so engrave mode was in the wrong "sub mode". I'm sure there are people who prefer the current behavior, but it drives me absolutely bonkers. This is compounded by the fact that one cannot select things as easily in engrave mode as you can in write mode (you cannot click on a measure and select all the notes or lyrics at once, for instance). Why not have Dorico just pop into the correct category when switching to engrave mode if there is an active selection? I think it is a safe bet that for many of us, we have something selected and shift to Engrave mode with the intent of tweaking that thing.

...I know, I know... wait until the end to make graphical tweaks... but we all know that is not practical all the time, especially when formatting might be necessary to make sense of what you're seeing to help you continue further in write mode.

Have a lovely weekend, all. (*Cue Maggie Smith as the dowager duchess asking, "what is a weekend?!"   :lol:
🎵 Director of Sacred Music, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer; Adjunct Organ Instructor at Goshen College
💾 Dorico 3.5 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk 5 Advanced, StudioOne pro 4.6, On1 2020, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia, Wavelab Elements
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, 3m Organ Console

GalbE

Post by GalbE »

My feature request after working some weeks with Dorico:
- more midi editing features in the piano roll editor like:
• being able to make a selection of notes and lower ior raise the velocity together (proportional with a modifier key?). I often want to export a piano piece for my students as audio and finding out the melody notes have been input too soft (but the chords should stay as they are). It's a hell of a job to correct that now, so I record the piece again in Reaper for audio export. Would be great to do that faster in Dorico.

BTW: love Dorico and the working speed it offers for notation and the already present daw functions ;) .
== GalbE == | composer symphonic elektronica | music teacher | arranger | synth aficionado and sound designer | and last but not least technical translator into Dutch from English and German

GalbE

Post by GalbE »

Another 'feature request' would be in depth video's about the exact differences between Pro and Elements. I didn't find anything serious about this on YouTube. I want to recommend Dorico to my colleagues (music teachers) but several of them would probably have enough functionality using Dorico Elements. I'm especially thinking of a guitar teaching colleague and would like to know what the restrictions in Elements are for her instrument (tablature, chord symbol editing). It's obvious that the comparison chart at Steinberg can't provide provide details about these things.

Maybe there is a way to start Pro as Elements? Like starting in SE mode with Ctrl? Then I can investigate myself.

Keep up the good work! I'm impressed by your achievements over the last years.
== GalbE == | composer symphonic elektronica | music teacher | arranger | synth aficionado and sound designer | and last but not least technical translator into Dutch from English and German

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

GalbE wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:44 am
Maybe there is a way to start Pro as Elements? Like starting in SE mode with Ctrl? Then I can investigate myself.
Hold down Alt instead of Ctrl.

Daniel at Steinberg

The main restriction for chord symbols in Elements is that you can't alter any of the settings in Engraving Options, and you can't make individual graphical edits to the chord symbols in Engrave mode (because Engrave mode isn't there). For chord diagrams, you can choose between the preset ones, but you can't design your own new ones. All of these restrictions are of course subject to change in future versions.

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

Konstantin Klimov wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:26 pm
2) A ruler in Engrave Mode. Ideally one that could be switched between inches and millimetres( or even both simultaneously?), with a thin line running from the ruler to the object being moved around on the page (perhaps like the dashed line that currently runs through the middle of a selected hairpin). I believe it would make it easier to align and adjust things visually without the need for excessive calculations.
I would love rulers and/or snap-to guides like in publishing software.

One hack you can use in the meantime is to draw an image frame between items you want to line up; this allows you to use the bright pink edge to nudge your items, and then you can simply delete the frame as soon as you're done. It requires a few extra steps, but the precision of the results is worth it.

This is the method I use when I want to make that verse numbers line up between staves. (Currently they don't and certain hymns can look positively sloppy until you correct it.)
🎵 Director of Sacred Music, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer; Adjunct Organ Instructor at Goshen College
💾 Dorico 3.5 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk 5 Advanced, StudioOne pro 4.6, On1 2020, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia, Wavelab Elements
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

I use an app called Free Ruler for these purposes. It does exactly what it says on the tin ;)
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

Don't know why I'd never thought to look, but I had no idea such apps existed. Just downloaded "rulers" in the mac store. amazing. exactly what I needed.

theduke

Post by theduke »

mjeva3 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:07 am
... real-time MIDI input...
Sorry everyone...what is this exactly and how would it aid workflow in Dorico?

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo »

Real time midi recording. Dorico already has it...

Return to “Dorico”