Monitoring through effects

All topics on WaveLab 9 and WaveLab Elements 9
Kayvon

Monitoring through effects

Post by Kayvon »

Hi, I'm a new Wavelab Elements 9 user and a very confused one at that!

How do I monitor through VST effects? I add them to the master section I presume?

I cannot for the life of me work it out or see any setting resembling it. Manual, forum, google - no joy!

Many thanks to anyone who can help

bob99

Re: Monitoring through effects

Post by bob99 »

On page 211 of the manual there's a picture of the Master Section with effects.

http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... ual_en.pdf

Click on Effects at the top of the Master Section to expose the slots to add effects. You can also add effects in a Montage, but start with the Master Section. See page 188 for Montage effects.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Hi, I'd pretty much got that far with the master effects section but no joy.

I'm unfamiliar with exactly what a montage is in Wavelab speak apart from seeming like a multitrack affair but I tried putting a VST in the fx section as a track / channel / clip effect and record enabling/mixing with output and most other options but I'm still none the wiser.

I have to admit I thought it'd be much easier to do. I can monitor thru fx in Cubase but then I can't have a Cubase project running. If Wavelab was more streamlined to do this in then I prefer to use it.

Any more help much appreciated guys cheers

Raphie

Post by Raphie »

Would suggest to take a step back, close cubase and run WL only, open the manual and start reading
There are some settings that you need to do first and you need to get comfortable with the interface options, as you might just be bypassing. Get the basics right and everything will fall into place. Commit 30mins and you will have your answer.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

misohoza

Post by misohoza »

Kayvon wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:58 pm
Hi, I'd pretty much got that far with the master effects section but no joy.

I'm unfamiliar with exactly what a montage is in Wavelab speak apart from seeming like a multitrack affair but I tried putting a VST in the fx section as a track / channel / clip effect and record enabling/mixing with output and most other options but I'm still none the wiser.

I have to admit I thought it'd be much easier to do. I can monitor thru fx in Cubase but then I can't have a Cubase project running. If Wavelab was more streamlined to do this in then I prefer to use it.

Any more help much appreciated guys cheers
Are you trying to monitor live input while recording into Wavelab?
Win 10 Home, 64 bit, 8 gb ram,
Cubase Pro 10.5, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Halion 6, Dorico 3,
NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Ozone 7,
UR 44

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Raphie wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:01 pm
Would suggest to take a step back, close cubase and run WL only, open the manual and start reading
There are some settings that you need to do first and you need to get comfortable with the interface options, as you might just be bypassing. Get the basics right and everything will fall into place. Commit 30mins and you will have your answer.
Hi Raphie, thanks for your reply.

Have you monitored through Wavelab 9 Elements with effects applied?

Are you trying to monitor live input while recording into Wavelab?
@misohaza I'm trying to monitor through Wavelab with VST effects applied to the live input. So far I open up the record dialog and manage to monitor the live input but no effects are being applied even though they reside in the master section.

Raphie

Post by Raphie »

I don’t think you can live INPUT monitor through effects, only OUTPUT monitor
You might have to record first and then apply fx.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

bob99

Post by bob99 »

Actually I think you would be able to do it with the Audio Input plugin, but that plugin is not available in Elements, afaik.

beerbong

Post by beerbong »

So is this it? You can't monitor live audio with a signal in Wavelab Elements? Is it possible in the full version?

thx
BB - Intel Quad/RME/Nvidia Video, RME Raydat, Win10 Home
Cubase 8.5 64 bit / Cubase 9.5 / Wavelab Elements / Halion 6 / Padshop Pro

toader

Post by toader »

beerbong wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:11 pm
So is this it? You can't monitor live audio with a signal in Wavelab Elements? Is it possible in the full version?

thx
bob99 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:39 am
Actually I think you would be able to do it with the Audio Input plugin, but that plugin is not available in Elements, afaik.
As Bob said, you can do it in the full version of Wavelab. I use the input plugin all the time when I work. While I'm mastering a track, I load the input plugin and whatever other effects I want to hear into the master section. When I'm ready to print the track, I record the audio (without effects) into an audio montage, and then I drag the effects from the master section into the montage clip fx area, remove the FX from the master section, and the effects are now applied as clip FX - and they remain editable in the future... That song is then done. I repeat the process again for the next song, and so on...
Computer 1: Cubase 10.5.12, RME HDSPe AES (x2), RME HDSPe AIO (x1), Nvidia NVS 510 video card, Dell T7500 workstation with Intel Xeon X5690 (6 cores with hyperthreading) 3.47gHz, 24GB RAM, UAD-2 Quad, Windows 10 64-bit
Computer 2: Wavelab 10.0.30, RME HDSPe AIO, AMD Radeon RX 480 video, Dell XPS 8720 with Intel I7-7700 CPU (4 cores with hyperthreading) 3.6gHz, 24GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

Todd Loomis @ https://noiseradiationstudios.com

Return to “WaveLab Pro 9 | WaveLab Elements 9”