Surface Studio, the ultimate Dorico machine?

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
islandmusicpro

Surface Studio, the ultimate Dorico machine?

Post by islandmusicpro »

Well,

pen input, Surface Dial (note durations...), hi-res screen, the works?
Wow!
If Steinberg wants to make waves (and get a spot in a MS presentation a la StaffPad one day...), why not support this stuff from 2.0?

Cheers,
Benji
Cubase Pro 11, Windows 10
Sibelius 7.5.1, Dorico Pro 3.5.10
http://www.yourmusic.pro

LSalgueiro

Re: Surface Studio, the ultimate Dorico machine?

Post by LSalgueiro »

Do pros actually use Surface? I'm honestly asking, I have no idea if anyone trusts its selling points for serious work — though I have the idea Philip Rothman does.

chaperoni

Post by chaperoni »

LSalgueiro wrote:Do pros actually use Surface? I'm honestly asking, I have no idea if anyone trusts its selling points for serious work — though I have the idea Philip Rothman does.
the Surface Studio is a new all-in-one desktop announced today, distinct from the Surface tablets but part of the same brand

wcreed

Post by wcreed »

I'm sure Steinberg won't develop anything that's not available for both OS platforms...
Bill Reed
Dorico, Cubase, Overture, Sibelius, Finale, Notion
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Forster 190

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro »

wcreed wrote:I'm sure Steinberg won't develop anything that's not available for both OS platforms...
That might unfortunately be the case... :cry:

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

islandmusicpro wrote:
wcreed wrote:I'm sure Steinberg won't develop anything that's not available for both OS platforms...
That might unfortunately be the case... :cry:
Never a rule without exception: Have a look at Cubasis, we only have this for iOS ;)
Steinberg employee

scoredfilms

Post by scoredfilms »

+1 I want, I want!

"Do pros actually use Surface?"

The Surface Studio is a workstation. It's a desktop. It's the future whether old timer pros get on board with it or not. Younger folks aren't going to stick with companies that don't support the hardware they want to use. It's that simple. With respect to the poor guy who's name gets thrown around everywhere... I don't care what Zimmer uses; I care about what I use.

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

scoredfilms wrote:Younger folks aren't going to stick with companies that don't support the hardware they want to use. It's that simple.
Nor will this "older folk". On the other hand, do I want to spend $3000 to $4000 to buy "the thinnest touchscreen on the market" just because it's thin, or do I want to spend that sort of money on a seriously powerful computer (or even two) and keep using my current perfectly good monitors for another few years? (Prices taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37779983)

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro »

Guys,
I'm also not going to buy this anytime soon, but somebody will!
Maybe we're all going to be surprised by e.g. Cubase 9, but I can easily imagine working with a DAW mixer on a 28" touchscreen like that! And using the Surface Dial to adjust settings and whatnot...
These new UI paradigms need to be embraced by Hi-tech companies like Steinberg, not only for the wow factor, but simply for better workflow.
Seriously, In another thread I was asking for all kinds of shenanigans with the mouse wheel adjusting the grid and stuff, but if I could use the Surface Pen inputting notes with one hand and have the Surface Dial choose note lengths in a dynamically adjusted grid, that would be science fiction right there!
It wouldn't even have to be like StaffPad at all, since that is another whole layer on top of everything, of course...

I have a pretty powerful machine myself with which I'm very happy, but the possibilities that something like this opens up should not be underestimated, especially by Steinberg!

Cheers,
Benji

scoredfilms

Post by scoredfilms »

islandmusicpro wrote:Guys,
...if I could use the Surface Pen inputting notes with one hand and have the Surface Dial choose note lengths in a dynamically adjusted grid...
Enough with the seductive talk, alright? ;)

Rob,
Sorry age the age remark. All I meant was that there's more market than just industry professionals.

Personally, I need to replace my VEP slaves with dual Xeon boards with 128GB each, just to barely scrape by with the "core Spitfire/VSL (Time-Stretch-enabled-max-polyphony/quality) orchestra" plus Berlin Brass in the coming months. So believe me, I understand there are more important things to do than get a shiny new toy. And before I do any of that, I have to buy a Dorico Christmas present for myself. Priorities!

-Sean

chaperoni

Post by chaperoni »

Rob Tuley wrote:
scoredfilms wrote:Younger folks aren't going to stick with companies that don't support the hardware they want to use. It's that simple.
Nor will this "older folk". On the other hand, do I want to spend $3000 to $4000 to buy "the thinnest touchscreen on the market" just because it's thin, or do I want to spend that sort of money on a seriously powerful computer (or even two) and keep using my current perfectly good monitors for another few years? (Prices taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37779983)
I believe this particular machine is very specifically aimed at the graphics crowd, so the competition isn't against a similarly spec'd computer but a similarly spec'd drawing monitor called the Wacon Cintiq. Apparently when you compare the price of that peripheral AND a hefty computer, the value becomes much clearer. I daresay it would be a little overkill for our needs in a music notation environment at the moment.

TheMaestro

Post by TheMaestro »

LSalgueiro wrote:Do pros actually use Surface?
Let me put the words in the right order :
"Pros do actually use Surface" ;)

Rob Tuley wrote:do I want to spend $3000 to $4000 to buy "the thinnest touchscreen on the market" just because it's thin ?
Is this the only thing you noted about this product ?

Seriously, I hope, as Daniel said, that some day in the future they will get in touch with StaffPad developers to bring the most natural way of writing notes to Dorico.
Cubase Pro 10.5 | Halion 6.3 | VEP 7
Windows 10 x64 | i7 920 | 48GB RAM | M-AUDIO Delta 1010LT | Yamaha S80

bullquartz

Post by bullquartz »

Staffpad isn't all it's cracked up to be imho.

It's a lovely idea and I use it on the very rare occasion but the input speed/accuracy is so slow for me - it is almost pointless. I'm am admittedly very messy though, and that's why for notation purposes I have used Step input with a midi keyboard for 20 years... now Dorico has improved the experience of that to the next level over Fin/Sib. :)

I think StaffPad has a loooong way to go before it's going to get anywhere close to matching that (outside of the fact that the Staff Pad doesn't offer pro engraving options or output).

I have a Surface Pro 3 as a laptop and although I don't think there has been much integration planned for these devices from Dorico's side, the touch screen and pen aid in workflow already.

The Surface line is already pretty darn good for music applications (although pro 4 had teething issues) and Surface Studio will extend that as programs get on board with touch screen friendly input. Check out a youtube channel called molten music technology for extensive Surface Pro related audio stuff.

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro »

Good thoughts all,

however, my original post wasn't really about StaffPad as a program at all, but rather about the need for Steinberg to stay ahead of the curve and make use of emerging technologies as they arrive and support as many different ways to input creative ideas into a computer as possible, rather than forcing one way over the other...
The Surface Studio surely would make notation quite a bit sexier again...

Cheers,
Benji

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro »

Ulf wrote:Never a rule without exception: Have a look at Cubasis, we only have this for iOS ;)
For now... 8-) ...makes no sense to keep touch input away from the real computers, right...? ;)
Last edited by islandmusicpro on Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

TheMaestro wrote:
Rob Tuley wrote:do I want to spend $3000 to $4000 to buy "the thinnest touchscreen on the market" just because it's thin ?
No - but one reason I've never owned an Apple product is because I wanted to buy a computer, not a fashion accessory.

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro »

Rob Tuley wrote:
TheMaestro wrote:
No - but one reason I've never owned an Apple product is because I wanted to buy a computer, not a fashion accessory.
I'm with you, but nice tools DO inspire... ;)

B.

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

StaffPad already there...?
IMG_0357.jpg
Surface Studio - and notation...!
(120.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20 (and C11 testing), WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro »

Puma0382 wrote:StaffPad already there...?
IMG_0357.jpg
Yup, it's one of their signature apps for the launch...

But again, StaffPad is not the point, the point is Steinberg getting with the program... actually, I feel like continuing this thread in the Cubase forum... ;)

B.

GTBannah

Post by GTBannah »

Up until the Dorico release, the plan was, to get more familiar with Notion on the iPad with the Apple Pencil, and export via XML to Sibelius. That will now happen with Dorico.

As an aside, that will be the detail that makes the MacBook Pro unnecessary for my rig. Sibelius is the only reason I've switch it on, for the last three months.

I say all of that to say, that Dorico on iOS would be sweet, while they work on doing the code for the "big screen" Surface Pro folks. :mrgreen:
Derrkins

If that's really what you hear, Play It, Sing It, Write It or Program It!

Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM; OS X Mojave 10.14.6; Nuendo 10.2.10.301; Sibelius 7.5; iPad Pro 13"; Cubasis, WaveLab 10.00; Dorico V3.0.0.1038 (Loving it).

LSalgueiro

Post by LSalgueiro »

Rob Tuley wrote:
TheMaestro wrote:
I know Apple has gone seriously downhill, but certainly you're old enough to remember when Apple championed the creative industries that kept it in business during the 80's and 90's, no?

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

Well, back in the 1980s, I can remember teaching myself Unix by logging on interactively to a Cray 2, so I could port some software from previous Cray machines (everybody who already knew how to do "real work" was too busy doing it to spend time teaching newcomers). The Apple Lisa didn't figure much in my computing world back then!

FWIW Apple did buy a Cray supercomputer, to design some of the Mac models - and being "creative," they ordered a custom paint job on the cabinet which was mostly a lurid shade of purple. Whatever turned them on, I suppose! (When Seymour Cray heard about the Apple order, he commented that all he needed to design the next Cray was a pad of squared paper and a #3 pencil).

Return to “Dorico”