New UR-C audio interfaces released

This section is about Steinberg's UR-C audio interfaces product range
-steve-
External Moderator

Re: New UR-C audio interfaces released

Post by -steve- »

wetstreet wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:37 pm
from what i read .. U could damage the ports forever ..
Please provide a link to what you read. I have not heard that that is true.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

I now have a UR44C and can say there is no 'wrong' way to plug it in. I'm using a USB-C to USB-C cable, with the laptop in my sig. It's quite awesome to have it running from bus power- which I've been wanting for a long time.

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

-steve- wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:24 pm
I now have a UR44C and can say there is no 'wrong' way to plug it in. I'm using a USB-C to USB-C cable, with the laptop in my sig. It's quite awesome to have it running from bus power- which I've been wanting for a long time.
Are you using a Gen 1 or Gen 2 cable?

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

ilmolto wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:32 am
Are you using a Gen 1 or Gen 2 cable?
I don't know, it came with an ssd enclosure I bought recently. My understanding is that the sole difference between 1 and 2 is the speed, 5 and 10 Gbps respectively.

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

Yep, that's right.

I was just wondering because I plan to use a Gen 2 cable only because that's the only one I can find in 2 metres. Every Gen 1 I've come across is only 1 metre which won't suit me. So I was just wondering in case there's anything I need to know regarding the Gen 2.

ca-booter

Post by ca-booter »

Marbles wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 pm
When you use the master volume of this new interface. Will it only affect the master out? Or will the extra volume go to all of the outputs?
In other words: If I have a compressor connected as external effect on output 3. And I want to turn up my speaker/main out volume, will this mess up y compressor settings cause the volume of output 3 will also be higher cause of the mastervolume dial?

If Steinberg does not want to answer, can somebody else?
When I look into the manual I can see that in the Settings window you can apply the mastervolumeknob to any of the outputs or just the masteroutputs.
I want the same as you, a couple of outboard gear connected to the line outputs without messing with the volume.
PC ASUS i7-2600 3,4Ghz |Win10-Pro 1909 SSD | 16Gb DDR3 | ASUS R5230 graphics | Cubase Pro 10.5.20, user since Atari | Wavelab 10 EL | Absolute 3 | TT-SuperiorDrummer3 | TT-EZ Bass | Yamaha-Steinberg N12 FW | Steinberg UR816C+Behringer ADA8200 | Behringer X-Touch One | M-Audio Axiom-61 | Fishman TriplePlay | Lexicon MX200, Strymon Volante, Art Pro VLA II, Art Pro Channel II and Klark Teknik: KT-2A, 1176-KT, 2* EQP-KT

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

We do stick to the protocols and I have yet to hear that a USB-C to USB-C connection can be connected the wrong way. That's why the USB-C connector was introduced in the first place, not having to hassle with the connections and the ways to insert cables.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

TBone587

Post by TBone587 »

Ed Doll wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:21 pm
We do stick to the protocols and I have yet to hear that a USB-C to USB-C connection can be connected the wrong way. That's why the USB-C connector was introduced in the first place, not having to hassle with the connections and the ways to insert cables.
On this topic... I recently upgraded my machine from a pc to a Mac mini. I was very disappointed to learn that my previous interface (Tascam US-1200) would not work due to the USB 2.0 connection not being supported by Mac’s new T2 chip. I have purchased the UR44C (in the mail). Can you comment on whether Mac’s USB 3.0 connection will work with the UR44C, or if a USB C to USB C cable plugged into the T3 input on the Mac Mini will be necessary / sufficient?

Thanks

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

Should not be any reason why you can't use the USB 3 cable supplied with your UR44C. So just plug into your Mac's USB 3 port and that's it.

TBone587

Post by TBone587 »

ilmolto wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:07 am
Should not be any reason why you can't use the USB 3 cable supplied with your UR44C. So just plug into your Mac's USB 3 port and that's it.
Thanks. I get my UR44 today, so I will check it out. Honestly I am a little gun shy at this point having spent $1500 on a machine that isn’t compatible with my hardware!

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

I’m sure the Mac Mini supports USB 2. Normally the ports are backwards compatible.

TBone587

Post by TBone587 »

Unfortunately Mac’s new T2 chip doesn’t support all USB 2 connections.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/appleinsid ... tions/amp/

However I can now confirm (after a lot of fiddling with security permissions, reinstalling drivers, and rebooting many times) that the UR44C connects well via USBC directly to the TB I put in the Mac mini as well as USB 3

Thanks for the help everyone

nawrath1

Post by nawrath1 »

Ed Doll wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:09 am
For Catalina as a 64-bit only OS, we would have to create a new driver and new 64-bit TOOLS. I am sorry to say but at a certain point, with a dead interface standard and new OS requirements, it is simply not possible to invest additional resources anymore.
Surely, it will not need considerable resources to take the code and recompile it with 64 bit, for a start. Other, better, companies did it with firewire.

I believe that you are making up a firewire case to camouflage bad marketing tactics. I am sorry for my earlier decisions to buy several Steinberg hardware. Now you are effectively making my MR useless even for selling it.

ca-booter

Post by ca-booter »

It would be very very handy if you could re-name the inputs at the bottom of the DSP mixer.
Hope this is fixed in the next update.
PC ASUS i7-2600 3,4Ghz |Win10-Pro 1909 SSD | 16Gb DDR3 | ASUS R5230 graphics | Cubase Pro 10.5.20, user since Atari | Wavelab 10 EL | Absolute 3 | TT-SuperiorDrummer3 | TT-EZ Bass | Yamaha-Steinberg N12 FW | Steinberg UR816C+Behringer ADA8200 | Behringer X-Touch One | M-Audio Axiom-61 | Fishman TriplePlay | Lexicon MX200, Strymon Volante, Art Pro VLA II, Art Pro Channel II and Klark Teknik: KT-2A, 1176-KT, 2* EQP-KT

o0niels0o

Post by o0niels0o »

I am also considering buying the ur22c and have a question about connecting it through thunderbolt 3 (usb-c connector). I have a Dell XPS 13 9360, which has one thunderbolt 3 (usb-c connector) which I would use to connect the ur22c. However the xps 13 9360 thunderbolt 3 is of the first 'wave' so it only supports two PCIe channels (max 16Gb/s I think) and not the four PCIe channels that more recent thunderbolt 3 ports support. Would this be a problem? I would think not, since the 16Gb/s is still more than the USB-A connector can support, but I would like to be sure :) The main thing I am interested in is low latency on midi connectors.

Many thanks,
Niels

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

o0niels0o wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:30 am
I am also considering buying the ur22c and have a question about connecting it through thunderbolt 3 (usb-c connector). I have a Dell XPS 13 9360, which has one thunderbolt 3 (usb-c connector) which I would use to connect the ur22c. However the xps 13 9360 thunderbolt 3 is of the first 'wave' so it only supports two PCIe channels (max 16Gb/s I think) and not the four PCIe channels that more recent thunderbolt 3 ports support. Would this be a problem? I would think not, since the 16Gb/s is still more than the USB-A connector can support, but I would like to be sure :) The main thing I am interested in is low latency on midi connectors.

Many thanks,
Niels
Thank you for your interest! Indeed, this should not be an issue.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

Return to “Steinberg UR-C Series”