Organ / Keyboard Particularities

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Romanos401

Re: Organ / Keyboard Particularities

Post by Romanos401 »

Just in case this affects anyone in the future:
viewtopic.php?f=246&t=173948

For all the organists out there that want more control over how their multi-manual setups interact with Dorico, features seem to be in the pipeline.
🎵 Director of Sacred Music, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer; Adjunct Organ Instructor at Goshen College
💾 Dorico 3.5 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk 5 Advanced, StudioOne pro 4.6, On1 2020, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia, Wavelab Elements
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, 3m Organ Console

DASW

Post by DASW »

Would this include changing Midi channels for a given stave? i.e. top stave becomes the swell or solo manual, but then changes back a few measures later to the great. I'm totally new to Dorico, but as an organist/composer it's a very necessary capability. btw: Dorico is totally amazing!!!
Thanks.

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

You can play back different voices on a staff on different MIDI channels.

That's not "in the pipeline", it is already in version 3.0.10.

DASW

Post by DASW »

That's great news, thanks for letting me know. I'm assuming channels can be changed from one voice to another at any point along the score, not simply set at the beginning and no place else?

Thanks!

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

SInce the number of voices is unlimited, you will possibly find it easier to fix a channels to each voice and then substitute the voices where you need them to get the correct "stops."
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

Yes, that's the way you need to do it: one voice can be bound only to one specific endpoint, but you can have as many voices as you like, so you can use a new voice each time you need a new registration.

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher »

A little OT, has any of you organ players tried the new Organteq from Modartt (I think it's been out for two days now) with Dorico? I'm curious to see if it's as useful as Pianoteq…
Marc Larcher

OS X 10.15.6, macbook pro 2019 16" (8 cores i9 @ 2.3GHz, 32GB, 1TB)
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.5.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 2020.1.14(9.0.2))
French is my native language

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

I didn't know it was released till I saw this thread.

I've persuaded the demo to map the three organ staves in Dorico onto two manuals and pedal (at least for single voices on each staff), which is a good start. Experimenting with the demo is a bit frustrating though because when it times out after 20 minutes you tend to lose whatever configuration you had.

It looks like it should be possible to create playing techniques for stop changes etc.

For some reason the standalone player isn't generating any audio for me but IIRC I had the same problem with the standalone Pianoteq player until I did something that kicked it hard enough to make it remember what audio device it was supposed to be using. (But I've forgotten what the trick was...).

First impression of the sound: It's got a French accent. Nothing wrong with that, but other European organ building flavours are available of course :)

It's version 1.0 so no doubt the range of tone colours will grow in future updates. There is no 32' pedal in version 1, and (curious considering how French it is) no independent tierce mutation either, though there is a Cornet.

Only 10 stops per division might seem a bit miserly, but you can select any 10 from the complete list, and it has a full set of couplers.

The default reverb setting is huge and the user-contributed demos on the Modartt site seem to be using that, but that is easily changed if you don't like it.

Probably something to buy for a Christmas present. If it follows the same path as Pianoteq, it will keep improving!

dwlarson

Post by dwlarson »

+1 and following
Win10, i7, 16GB, Dorico 3.5.10, Noteperformer 3.5
Sibelius 2019.5 (and holding), Photoscore 7.02
Hauptwerk 4
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st gen)
Church musician/arranger

fratveno

Post by fratveno »

Speaking as a professional organist, I must say this was very disappointing soundwise. The principals and strings are totally lacking in character, and if anything, certainly not french sounding. And not very french looking (console layout) either... It is of course extremely impressive technologically, but fire up the Caen in HW as a comparison and...
(re-tired)

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

I imagine that anyone who wants to do serious organ renders will use Hauptwerk via the vst link.

Edit: just listened to the demos and I think they are atrocious.
🎵 Director of Sacred Music, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer; Adjunct Organ Instructor at Goshen College
💾 Dorico 3.5 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk 5 Advanced, StudioOne pro 4.6, On1 2020, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia, Wavelab Elements
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

The only demo worth listening to for an idea what it sounds like is the Modartt video. I really can't imagine why they posted the others.

Pianoteq 1.0 didn't sound very good either, compared with the latest version. I guess it will improve with time.

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher »

Thanks, fellow Doricians! You've been very helpful :-)
Marc Larcher

Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.5.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 2020.1.14(9.0.2))

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

Marc, for what it’s worth, it’s better than general midi organ sounds accessible to most apps, so if you need something quick and dirty, it’s worth exploring. (Better than noteperformer too) But it isn’t convincing (at all) to a trained ear. If there’s something short-ish and particularly important, I’d be happy to live record something with Hauptwerk for you. The quality is exceptional.

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

If you want to compare it with HW (and the Caen sample set) you ought to consider the relative costs as well.

The basic versions of HW and the Caen samples are about 3 times the price of Organteq. The "advanced version" of HW and the full version of Caen is a lot more than that. Plus you need a PC with at least 16Gb RAM to run HW + Caen (and probably 32Gb RAM to run the maxed out options) compared with "any old laptop" for Organteq.

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

Fair point. By the same token, people who are very serious about sample libraries regularly pay that kind of money for their sample libraries and have multiple, so it’s not quite as crazy as it seems at first blush.

JesterMusician

Post by JesterMusician »

I just tried out GrandOrgue the other day and I was quite impressed, especially considering it's free and open source. You can find free and paid sample sets online. The demos speak for themselves: https://www.piotrgrabowski.pl/instruments.html

Unfortunately, there's no VST, so getting it to work with Dorico may be a challenge.

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

I think you could potentially circumvent this if you told Dorico to output midi to a specific device, and then put a physical midi cable between the midi out and midi in and tell grand orgue to listen to that midi in port. I don't use grand orgue, though, so I'm not sure what level of ability you'd have to configure which divisions get which midi signals, etc.

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

Just to prove Organteq does work with Dorico. This needs some more work to get the bottom octave of the pedal in sync with the manuals.

I wouldn't describe the result as "atrocious" - but I wouldn't complain about calling it "a bit bland".

Bach Trio sonata No 1, first movement.
Werckmeister III temperament.
Positif: Gambe 8, Flute Traversiere 8, Flute 4, Doublette 2.
G.O. Principal 8 + 4, Quinte 2 2/3, Doublette 2.
Ped: Principal 16 + 8.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd9mincxmgnt6 ... 1.mp3?dl=0

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

Such a marvelous trio. Fun, joyful music to listen to and to play. Rob, I agree, that sounds pretty good. Bland is perhaps a good choice. And perhaps I was a bit hyperbolic the other day; although in truth, some of the examples on their website are really not great. Among other issues there’s so much reverb you’d think it was Chartres cathedral. I realize I’m a bit jaded since I’m so used to nice HW sets (and I forgot just how expensive HW advanced is since I purchased it years ago). Contrebombarde is replete with recording upon recording that are so realistic you’d never know they were HW. It’s really mind boggling.

(Fun story: this trio was my first heavy fore into historic fingering methods. I learned it the summer before I started my masters. Got to grad school and had to promptly refinger the entire trio according to the new way shown to me. Suffice it to say: it was an exercise in patience... it was harder to UNlearn and RElearn than if I had started from scratch. To this day it’s a favorite of mine, but I still shudder when I think back to that first semester, lol.)

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

It can certainly sound less bland than that (5 rank grand jeu mixture, 3 rank plein jeu, 5 rank cornet, some short-resonator reeds, etc) but I found it hard to get a decent non-bland balance between the divisions "straight out of the box".

There is a lot of customization possible but I haven't settled down to explore all that yet.

I'm probably going to try something with typical "formulaic French registration" next - play everything on the great, full "fonds" on all three divisions, and registration changes just mean "toggle the couplers and the reeds on and off." After all, that's the way an average 19th century French church organist would have played it :)

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher »

Thanks Rob for this rendition. I don't need such instrument in my little arsenal but still, it is useful to know it exists in case I need it!
Marc Larcher

chadstaten

Post by chadstaten »

Hello! Organist/Composer new to this forum. I've been using Sibelius for years, but am now trying Dorico Pro 3. I think I've read through everything up until today -- am I correct that it is still not possible to 'hide empty staves' in the organ part? I am just finishing a choral setting that has big sections with no pedal. I could get the score down to fewer pages if I could hide empty pedal staves. So far, nothing I've tried has worked. Thanks.

pianoleo
Grand Master

Post by pianoleo »

Chad, welcome to the forum.
To do this globally, within a whole layout, go to Layout Options (Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-L) > Vertical Spacing > Hide Empty Staves and set to "After first system" or "Always". Then tick the box immediately underneath, allowing Dorico to hide individual staves of multi-stave instruments.
If you'd rather do this locally, you can select the bar rest on the pedal stave at the start of a system, right-click and go Staff > Remove Staff. Dorico will not automatically show the stave where notes next appear (but internally it won't delete notes either); you need to do this manually by selecting whatever's on the lower manual staff, right-clicking and going Staff > Add Staff Below.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

One other thing worth noting is that if you want most staves hidden, but, for whatever reason there is an area where you do NOT want Dorico to hid a stave (short pause in one part, for instance) you can create a text element anchored to one of the affected measures. Just shift+X, then type a single [space] and that element will prevent the auto-condensation.

Return to “Dorico”