Pedalboard fingering for pipe organ

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
ostrovitch

Pedalboard fingering for pipe organ

Post by ostrovitch »

Hello,

How to use specific symbols of pedaling?
The fingering options only allow numbers.

Did anyone find how to do?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
pedaling fingering
(219.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Re: Pedalboard fingering for pipe organ

Post by Rob Tuley »

The symbols are in the Playing Techniques, Keyboard section.

ostrovitch

Post by ostrovitch »

Thanks a lot I didn't guess it was in this section, I believed it was related to fingering.
You saved a lot of my time. :D

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

Fingering is normally related to the hands, and playing the pedals on the organ normally related to the...

:)

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

Daniel at Steinberg wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 pm
Fingering is normally related to the hands, and playing the pedals on the organ normally related to the...

:)
Indeed, although I don't fault the OP for guessing the way they did. To my mind it is a "fingering for the feet" so to speak. No different than a harp pedaling, recorder finger diagram, or traditional fingering number to my mind.

As an aside, there are some old editions that use 'O' instead of 'U' for the heel. This would be nice addition. I saw it a long time ago (don't remember where) and adopted the practice myself since sloppily written U's turn into V's and then you have v vs ^ which can be harder to distinguish in the heat of the moment. At any rate, low priority to be sure lol.
🎵 Director of Sacred Music, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer; Adjunct Organ Instructor at Goshen College
💾 Dorico 3.5 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk 5 Advanced, StudioOne pro 4.6, On1 2020, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia, Wavelab Elements
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, 3m Organ Console

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

You could quibble that it's not a playing technique, since pressing a pedal with different parts of your anatomy makes no difference to the sound produced.

pianoleo
Grand Master

Post by pianoleo »

It certainly takes technique, though ;)
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2019 Macbook Pro 16" 2.3gGHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM,
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1GHz dual-core i7, 8GB RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico Pro 3.5 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

pianoleo wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZImuHCgkvI

k_b

Post by k_b »

Rob Tuley wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 pm
pianoleo wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZImuHCgkvI
You notice though the artist does not use any printed music .
Dorico Elements 3.5.10, Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045
PhotoScore Ultimate 2020.1.14

semibreve [whole note] - minim [half note]
crotchet [quarter note] - quaver [eighth note]
semiquaver [sixteenth note]

Post by 6620 »

Romanos401 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:17 pm
[...]

As an aside, there are some old editions that use 'O' instead of 'U' for the heel. This would be nice addition. I saw it a long time ago (don't remember where) and adopted the practice myself since sloppily written U's turn into V's and then you have v vs ^ which can be harder to distinguish in the heat of the moment. At any rate, low priority to be sure lol.
+1 for O as heel. That's certainly how I learned it and use it.

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

6620 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:31 am
Romanos401 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:17 pm
[...]

+1 for O as heel. That's certainly how I learned it and use it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I did alter the playing techniques for one score, but it definitely took some fiddling to get it right. It really does make a difference having the O's though...
🎵 Director of Sacred Music, Organist, Choral Conductor, Composer; Adjunct Organ Instructor at Goshen College
💾 Dorico 3.5 pro, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk 5 Advanced, StudioOne pro 4.6, On1 2020, FinalCut Pro, Camtasia, Wavelab Elements
🖥 iMac w/32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

k_b wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:56 am
You notice though the artist does not use any printed music .
I don't know if you are an organist, but one of the joys of playing an unfamiliar organ is suddenly realizing you need to figure out how to visually look at the assorted foot-operated controls apart from the pedals, to find where one of your feet needs to be, without disrupting what you are playing.

I once saw (and heard!) a 15-year-old boy who is now an internationally famous organist literally slide off the bench and finish up in a heap on top of the pedal board, attempting that feat.

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

I still recall stories of a world-class organist who was rather short using his toe to tap a pull knob stop closed at approximately his elbow height, quite a feat (feet?) of flexibility in his fifties or sixties.

(I can't help wondering how he'd have managed on an organ with tab stops.)
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

Some organ consoles have draw-stops at "foot level," which would make the story more plausible.

See here for example (and the complete performance of this old warhorse by the kid is worth listening to, IMO) https://youtu.be/PEHGxpRoZQM?t=449

I love the big grin on his face at 8:20 when the stop-changer gets the timing spot on. That's six runs out of the middle of the bat straight over the bowler's head, for cricket lovers ... :)

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

Actually the organ was at Washington Cathedral in DC, so this would not have been a foot-level stop by any means.
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
US English Keyboard

islandmusicpro

Post by islandmusicpro »

Did I mention that I love this forum?
:lol:

B.
Cubase Pro 10.5, Windows 10
Sibelius 7.5.1, Dorico Pro 3.5.10
http://www.yourmusic.pro

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley »

Derrek, was the organist Cameron Carpenter by any chance? (Look him up if you never heard of him.)

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

Cameron Carpenter is quite something, but this was the then organist at the Cathedral who gave concerts around the country and abroad.

Incidentally, I enjoyed the video: one (talented) organist but multiple stop pullers. I suppose the tracker action (no combination pistons) and difficult to reach stop knobs probably made the additional assistants helpful.
US English Keyboard

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 »

https://youtu.be/gWZlUlLIAJo

Here Cam plays the Bach Cello partita in G. It’s really quite elegant until he finishes up with his usual seizure. :roll: the Liszt is really superb though.

Return to “Dorico”