Why Cubase lags behind other DAWs? (or does it?)

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
jimknopf

Re: Why Cubase lags behind other DAWs ?

Post by jimknopf »

01w wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:08 pm
...Yes, cubase is still behind with ... long startup time, crash on exit, buggy MediaBay and Preset browser
Startup time with loads of plugins is less than 15 seconds here (SSD drive), zero crash on exit here so far (latest version 10), and the only problem regularly bothering me with media bay/preset browser, is that it does not preview Rex files in orgignal tempo (which is really a no go from my view).

Just saying, because some issues don't seem to concern all users in the same way.

telecode

Post by telecode »

FWIW, I don't actually use other DAWs, so I can't really comment. But I think this thread is pointless and trolley. Either post reasons why other DAWs are more advanced or not. Generalized vague statements like "I know so and so left to work at so and so" don't contribute value.

I have only had the opportunity to look at FL Studio and am impressed with the fact that it's not the Fruity Loops drum machine it was a long time ago and seems like a fully fledged DAW. But I haven't actually used it to offer a discussion. The tester I tried crashes like crazy on my Intel based i7 Mac and I haven't bothered going on their forums to figure it out yet, so am not planning on looking into it further any time soon.
be cool,

https://soundcloud.com/telecode101 | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOB4JV ... 0396XaF1aQ
Gear: Mac Mini 2008 model, i7, OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra), 16gb RAM, Cubase 10.5.11, Cubase 9.5, Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Arturia V-Collections, Komplete 6 Interface, Komplete Ultimate, lots of guitars and lapsteels and other stringed stuff.

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic »

I came from Pro Tools, Logic and S1. Looong time PT and Logic user.

And I must say: its the opposite - all the other DAWs langs behind Cubase 10! this is a fact.

Cubase 10 has all the nice features that I were missing and which I know from Studio One - event effects, more inserts, vsti pics, file browser e.g.
Simple drag volume automation like pro tools is also now possible. And Cubase´s Mix Console and visibility management are a dream!
S1 is obsolete for me now.

Cubase is THE winner in all areas - great Midi Editing, Composing, Mixing, Film Score, Sound Design etc etc...

C.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

JimH

Post by JimH »

kampot wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:33 pm
and dont want to switch to another DAW like Reaper, Logic or StudioOne becuase of re-learning of workflow.
So the other DAWs are better but you don't want to have to learn how to use them. Doesn't make sense to me.
Cubase 9.5, Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i7 920 / ASUS P6T, John Bowen Solaris, Korg Kronos, Yamaha S90ES, Hammond XK-3c, Minimoog, VAX77, Kurz K2000, etc.

kampot

Post by kampot »

Ok cubase has all the extra bells and whistles but, Cubase is the most expensive DAW, and doesnt even have the essential: ARA2.

Reaper is 10 times cheaper and has ARA2.

Why did Steinberg decide so late to start integrating ara2 ?
And it's still not integrated

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

kampot wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:13 pm
Ok cubase has all the extra bells and whistles but, Cubase is the most expensive DAW, and doesnt even have the essential: ARA2.

Reaper is 10 times cheaper and has ARA2.

Why did Steinberg decide so late to start integrating ara2 ?
And it's still not integrated
Sorry buddy. Sounds like you're just trying to find stuff to argue about.

Some of the folks in this thread and who post elsewhere in the forum are pro engineers, composers, sound and audio post designers/editors who have worked in the field four decades or more. These are people who have managed to raise families, win and lose fortunes, on the earnings or lack thereof through their careers. These folks are seasoned pros who know the tools they work with.

The tools that were designed for a limited number of highly specialized and highly skilled people 40 years ago can now be purchased at a tiny fraction of the cost.
For $3,000 a person can buy gear that accomplishes what would have cost $30,000 in 1979, which amounts to 100,000 USD in today's dollars

Bells and whistles are not being discussed here. It's about core midi and audio functions in a mature program. And, to belabor the obvious, if you really knew that <insert daw name> was better, you would be using it to make music.

end rant. beam me up Scotty.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

cubace

Post by cubace »

Centralmusic wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:59 pm
I came from Pro Tools, Logic and S1. Looong time PT and Logic user.

And I must say: its the opposite - all the other DAWs langs behind Cubase 10! this is a fact.

Cubase 10 has all the nice features that I were missing and which I know from Studio One - event effects, more inserts, vsti pics, file browser e.g.
Simple drag volume automation like pro tools is also now possible. And Cubase´s Mix Console and visibility management are a dream!
S1 is obsolete for me now.

Cubase is THE winner in all areas - great Midi Editing, Composing, Mixing, Film Score, Sound Design etc etc...

C.
It is not a winner regarding remote controller functionality. At the best you can map midi to some functions with a crappy xml file. Competition have java programming api's. Cubase is stone-age and have been so for a very long time. I think we can thank Yamaha for that.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

Compare the MCU functionality of Cubase vs Studio One and it’s lightyears ahead. Studio one can’t access more than 8 parameters. As a new user of Pro I’m finding the controller features really good, coming from Logic/Studio One.

From what I’ve seen of Cubase mapping you can have pages/modes for each controller too which is great.

A big negative tho, is having more than one MCU type device Cubase likes to spread the controls across them. If one is a Mackie controller and the other a synth using the MCU protocol then that ain’t good as you want them to show the same, not odd/even pages.

miul

Post by miul »

The thing about daw is easy as this one: there is no better daw. I'm in cubase just because it was the last attempt to find something without to many horrible stuff happening or lacking function. As I found there is no such a thing I stay here , at least I remember the shortcuts better having been the last one i learned.
Every daw has got its own good thing, but the other side, any daws has got things there are not just bad, but indeed horrible, Cubase has got lots of horrible things...like any other.
I can name the worst freezing since ever, the lacking of the touching mode automation (in cubase touch is latch and latch is latch). Cubase can also be called "toolbase" because of the useless number of tools no daw uses anymore. The useless effect track. The worst solo function ever. The impossibility to create a feedback in the same group, missing lots of shortcuts...I could be going on and on...but I could do the same for any other daw.

AP

Post by AP »

VHProductions wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 am
"part of the Steinberg team left Steinberg and went to AIR / Avid, Presonus etc"
Where can I read about such information? I've been using Cubase since the 90's so I would be very interested in knowing more!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_ ... _software)
Cubase Pro 10.0.60. 15" MacBook Pro i7, 16 GB Ram, OS 10.14 UR28M, CMC.

msy

Post by msy »

Honestly, Cubase is great for mixing, scoring, recording.

But have you tried Bitwig? I just got into it and some things about Cubase makes me really mad. I actually laugh out loud when learning Bitwig just because of those "what the hell" moments all the time, "this is the way it should be done". Im realizing how fast and easy a lot of things can be done in Bitwig that takes so much time and effort in Cubase.. if even possible.
Just to mention some things: macro controllers (impossible to do in Cubase). The vast variety of modulation of VST parameters. Speedy workflow. Integration with eurorack/cv.

Don't get me wrong, Cubase IS awesome for recording and mixing. And Bitwig sucks at recording a band.. or scoring. :)

Cubase has a lot of legacy code and features, patheticly bad Hitpoint detection (that acts differently in each update more or less). 20 year old Recycle has better hitpoint detection than Cubase 10 ffs.. I think Cubase is stuck, in its traditional way. Real Innovative workflow and features are lacking imho. Right now its mostly copying what others can already do, and mostly not on par. Vocalign as an example.

And still, there are reasons why I use Cubase and not the other traditional daws. Will be using it less and less for making music though.
Cubase Pro 10.5.20
HALion 6.3.1
Soundcard: RME Digiface USB with ADA8200 + ARC USB
DAW: AMD Ryzen 3950x | ASUS Prime x570-P | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz | Intel p660 NVMe M.2 2TB | Samsung EVO SSD 250GB SATA | Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5700 XT (set to PCIE 3.0 in BIOS w/drivers Adrenaline v19.11.3)
Screen: Philips 439P9H (Curved SuperWide 32:10) @ 3840x1200
Computer related hardware: 2xUAD-2 Duo PCIE, BCF2000 (MCU), Nord Wave, Eurorack via ES3/ADAT
Other DAWs: Bitwig 3.2

auggybendoggy

Post by auggybendoggy »

** Off topic **

Carlo, Atari ST my friend! Rock on. Man I love that thing! Still have my STE in my garage.

auggybendoggy

Post by auggybendoggy »

Having tried Live, FL and Reaper, Traktion, man Cubase is a dream. I didn't get indepth, just midi recording, editing and audio and effects. But to me, Cubase is more logical in it's design. I'm digging Pro 10, just moved up for the 30 year anniv. Fantastic.

I do wish it had skin capabilities like Reaper, that's the one thing I like about reaper. Didn't care for the ugly menu systems lol (as if that matters).

Robert Kooijman

Post by Robert Kooijman »

auggybendoggy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:46 am
** Off topic **

Carlo, Atari ST my friend! Rock on. Man I love that thing! Still have my STE in my garage.
Haha, more often then not I have the feeling getting more done in the old days using Cubase 1 on my Atari 1040ST :)
No audio, only having to focus on the basics using MIDI is not as crazy as it sounds!

More on topic:
the Cubase team in Hamburg should take the competition like Studio One more seriously. Even after all these years and countless updates, I'm still waiting for an intuitive graphical user interface. Very little has IMO happened here that is worth writing home about.
Windows 10 X64, Asrock Z390 Extreme4, i9-9900k, 64GB 3200Mhz CL14 RAM , 3 x 2TB m.2 NVMe SSD, Fatar SL880 & TMK88 keyboards, Korg Wavestation & Padkontrol, DIY 8-fader MIDI controller using Teensy LC, Samsung 55" 4K & 2 x 27" monitors, Steinberg Midex-8, Cubase 10.0.40, Studio One 4.5.3, Vepro 7.0

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

Robert Kooijman wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:55 am
More on topic:
the Cubase team in Hamburg should take the competition like Studio One more seriously. Even after all these years and countless updates, I'm still waiting for an intuitive graphical user interface. Very little has IMO happened here that is worth writing home about.
Studio One is a new product, they haven't got the additional baggage of supporting a 30 year old product. It's not easy to overhaul software which has to also retain many features for legacy users. If Steinberg were to reskin on top of whats running it would only create more problems as you're adding an additional layer on top of the existing software.

I imagine the dev team look at all DAWs very seriously, but they're also doing their own thing - if you like Studio One then use it, if you prefer Cubase then you just have to accept that it's a product of it's environment. The grass is always greener on the other side, of course.

TheDude

Post by TheDude »

skijumptoes wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:16 pm
Robert Kooijman wrote:
More on topic:
Studio One is a new product, they haven't got the additional baggage of supporting a 30 year old product. It's not easy to overhaul software which has to also retain many features for legacy users. If Steinberg were to reskin on top of whats running it would only create more problems as you're adding an additional layer on top of the existing software.

I imagine the dev team look at all DAWs very seriously, but they're also doing their own thing - if you like Studio One then use it, if you prefer Cubase then you just have to accept that it's a product of it's environment. The grass is always greener on the other side, of course.

True - legacy support matters.. however, Robert is right - a convenient GUI is the foundation of a good user experience. There is no doubt, that Cubase has a lot of useful features and working with MIDI is fast and easy most of the time, but the unnecessary mousing around the GUI and the clumsy/outdated implementation of the basic actions, that get performed hundreds of times per day (audio editing/routing/mixing), just take away from the music making experience. Like most users, I just want to execute my ideas in a fast and convenient way, that doesn't slow me down too much.

I am actually considering to spend my Cubase upgrade money on Studio One in November, if there will be no GUI and at least some audio editing/mixing enhancements, that get me from A to Z easier/faster, like a smart tool, improved sends, multi/dual-mono plugin mode, mixer channel colors, etc. And it looks like I am not the only one, who feels this way.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

msy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:13 am
Cubase has a lot of legacy code and features, patheticly bad Hitpoint detection (that acts differently in each update more or less). 20 year old Recycle has better hitpoint detection than Cubase 10 ffs.. I think Cubase is stuck, in its traditional way. Real Innovative workflow and features are lacking imho. Right now its mostly copying what others can already do, and mostly not on par. Vocalign as an example.
I agree with this overall sentiment. I think Cubase is great and is definitely more advanced in some ways than other DAWs. And I feel that Cubase is overall the best for me what I do (scoring, song production, and the mixing associated with both).

And it also makes me crazy sometimes, mostly because of what you're talking about: It's stubbornly stuck in certain old ways of doing things/workflow that feel sludgy and cumbersome compared to a lot of the competition, and certain issues that very directly affect fast workflow are still there after many years of complaints. This is the improvement that Cubase needs badly, to me: Fast and efficient workflow above everything else. I have plugins that can do anything I want, so I don't care about any of that -- I simply want Cubase to abandon certain old, stodgy ways of doing things that require tons of needless mouse clicks and mouse movements. That's the main thing I get jealous of when I see other DAWs. Speed is everything these days, and Cubase lags in many ways in everyday usage in this way.
Last edited by In_Stereo on Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

TheDude wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:29 pm
True - legacy support matters.. however, Robert is right - a convenient GUI is the foundation of a good user experience. There is no doubt, that Cubase has a lot of useful features and working with MIDI is fast and easy most of the time, but the unnecessary mousing around the GUI and the clumsy/outdated implementation of the basic actions, that get performed hundreds of times per day (audio editing/routing/mixing), just take away from the music making experience. Like most users, I just want to execute my ideas in a fast and convenient way, that doesn't slow me down too much.

I am actually considering to spend my Cubase upgrade money on Studio One in November, if there will be no GUI and at least some audio editing/mixing enhancements, that get me from A to Z easier/faster, like a smart tool, improved sends, multi/dual-mono plugin mode, mixer channel colors, etc. And it looks like I am not the only one, who feels this way.
Perfectly said.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

telecode

Post by telecode »

TheDude wrote:
skijumptoes wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:16 pm
Robert Kooijman wrote:
More on topic:

I tested out 10 yesterday. The GUI in C 10 has been worked on and improved. It sounds like you dont like the workflow, which is a different conversation altogether. You may want to demo other DAWs then. In my case, as a Cubase user since 7.x, if they were to drastically change the workflow from what I am accustomed to, I would leave the ecosystem. You also need to think about how other customers would react to such a drastic change in product functionality.
be cool,

https://soundcloud.com/telecode101 | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOB4JV ... 0396XaF1aQ
Gear: Mac Mini 2008 model, i7, OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra), 16gb RAM, Cubase 10.5.11, Cubase 9.5, Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Arturia V-Collections, Komplete 6 Interface, Komplete Ultimate, lots of guitars and lapsteels and other stringed stuff.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

telecode wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:25 pm

I tested out 10 yesterday. The GUI in C 10 has been worked on and improved. It sounds like you dont like the workflow, which is a different conversation altogether. You may want to demo other DAWs then. In my case, as a Cubase user since 7.x, if they were to drastically change the workflow from what I am accustomed to, I would leave the ecosystem. You also need to think about how other customers would react to such a drastic change in product functionality.
I hear you with this. I don't think the The Dude or I or most others concerning the workflow issue want it to drastically change into something it's not. The changes that are slowly being made already show that faster workflow can easily be applied to current Cubase way of doing this. Being able to do those exact same things in fast, more efficient ways only has positives, right? That's what I'm personally asking for, take what's there and make it faster and more efficient, to require less keystrokes and mouse clicking to do the exact the same things in the way that we all love Cubase for. This is being shown as 100% possible already, bit by slow bit, by Steinberg. I would like them to put that on the fastest track possible and make that their primary undertaking for the next version. It will benefit everyone, from people like me who have used Cubase for years to brand new users.

Sometimes it may take a short time of getting used to doing something in a slightly different way, but increased speed and efficiency far outweigh that short-lived inconvenience, and this is even coming from someone who's not as young and spry as many users here. :-D

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf »

I had to test Studio One when I had to check Faderport 2 controller issues. Frankly, I don't like that Presonus software and UI one bit, despite some well recognizeable plagiarism on the Presonus side. Maybe this would change over time, but I'm far from missing any of that kind in Cubase 10, which I still regard as vastly superior DAW overall, just like I simply dislike Pro-Tools, Logic, Reaper, Ableton Live and other DAW efforts in comparison, for various reasons. NONE of them is remotely ahead of Cubase for my purposes and workflow. I simply regard Cubase as better overall recording, mixing and mastering tool for my projects, than any and all of them!

Still, I agree that the Cubase 10 UI update is far from refined. It was a necessary step, but it needs a lot of follow up treatment to become a really smooth user experience, including some steps back to former virtues.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes »

TheDude wrote:
I am actually considering to spend my Cubase upgrade money on Studio One in November, if there will be no GUI and at least some audio editing/mixing enhancements.
I've come from being a Mac based Logic user who's swapping to Windows machine, so i've gone through Studio One and REAPER and now at Cubase trying desperately to find a replacement DAW.

And i gotta say i love Cubase so far, creatively it's been brilliant. Studio One is also brilliant, but it lacks too many features (No MIDI SysEx, No Poly Aftertouch) so for me so it could never be my longterm home as it stands so i sold my license. On the flip, Cubase has shown me features i wasn't even aware of which has given me a big smile.

At no point have i felt the GUI is an obstacle however, but yes Studio One is wonderful, but it's still in it's infancy - Cubase has much more depth to it, but it comes at a cost of course, it's the experienced tank while Studio One is the pretty new boy. One thing that i've noticed with Cubase is that things are very deliberate, which i like, there probably is a fair amount of clicking but the purpose seems justified to me.

I could just be experiencing the emperors news clothes of course, but this is definitely a worthy replacement to Logic so far, and if it enables me to stay with windows then my next purchase will be a beast of a machine which would be the cost of a car with Apple! :)

telecode

Re: Why Cubase lags behind other DAWs? (or does it?)

Post by telecode »

I know it's possible to make any kind of music with any DAW. But I feel some DAWs are more suited for particular types of workflows and music makers (perhaps even particular types of music). Some DAW's out there that have "advances" that are more tailored and streamlined for music makers that work on their own and will probably never be in a situation where they will record a live 4 piece band and mix and master that end result. There is really no point picking and implementing the advances of those types of DAWs into the Cubase product as its a product geared for a different type of end user who will use the DAW in a different way.

The DAW market is flooded and there are lots of choices and options out there. People should pick the right tool they need for the type of job they want to do. Thats pretty much it.
be cool,

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

telecode wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 pm
I know it's possible to make any kind of music with any DAW. But I feel some DAWs are more suited for particular types of workflows and music makers (perhaps even particular types of music). Some DAW's out there that have "advances" that are more tailored and streamlined for music makers that work on their own and will probably never be in a situation where they will record a live 4 piece band and mix and master that end result. There is really no point picking and implementing the advances of those types of DAWs into the Cubase product as its a product geared for a different type of end user who will use the DAW in a different way.

The DAW market is flooded and there are lots of choices and options out there. People should pick the right tool they need for the type of job they want to do. Thats pretty much it.
I agree and disagree with this, depending on exactly what you're referring to. I do complicated work (composing, producing, and mixing with gigantic amounts of tracks and very complicated setups), and making Cubase faster and more workflow-friendly in specific ways would absolutely not take away what we all love about it. There are so many ways I can see every single day I work on Cubase that would make it less mouse clicky and instead faster to do what we do on it. There is not a single downside to that.

Steinberg is very slowly showing that they can do it...it just needs to be put firmly on the fast track. Speaking for myself, I want to stay with Cubase because of how advanced it is for film scoring and large-scale song production over the other DAWs I've tried (including Studio One), and it would benefit every single person on this forum if they made it their highest priority to make the workflow as fast as possible. This does NOT mean turning Cubase into another DAW, but it DOES mean being inspired by new (even some old!) designs of others and implementing them into the Cubase environment in the Cubase way. I read that Junkie XL has a big list of things he wants Cubase to improve on (Matthias himself wrote something like that somewhere). I bet that a big amount of what he wants are speed and workflow related.

Making things faster and easier workflow-wise isn't something that anybody should be against (not that you are, I'm just talking about the general topic), unless they for some reason love being slower and more clunky when they work than they would need to be with a lot of thought and effort purely into workflow by Steinberg.

nordlead26

Post by nordlead26 »

kampot wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:57 pm
Cubase used to be industry leading DAW in the days of cubase SX and prior.
But now other DAWs like studio one, logic, reaper etc have functions and stability that cubase lacks, and cost much less.
even thou cubase has some unique features, but it's still behind others especially with no ARA2 support, not as intuitive as other DAWs, very laggy preset manager, etc.
Maybe because Steinberg think they're still the leaders ? They're not anymore , they contributed alot to the DAW industry with VST, VST3, ASIO etc. But after the part of the Steinberg team left Steinberg and went to AIR / Avid, Presonus etc, everyone left at steinberg don't really know what they're doing anymore
give example of what lags or functions ... make a list
Cubase Pro 9.5.50 x64
Windows 10 x 64bit
Intel Core i7 860
20 GB RAM
audio interface MOTU 828 MKII

Return to “General”