Windows 10 vs Cubase 8 [version 8.0.4] poor sound quality

Use this forum for an overview of collected issues and to report new ones.
Post Reply
SIRRISH
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:49 pm
Contact:

Windows 10 vs Cubase 8 [version 8.0.4] poor sound quality

Post by SIRRISH »

Hello, please may I ask three quick questions regarding my Cubase 8?

I have a fairly new HP computer running Windows 10 and Cubase 8, and I'm having two problems.

1. My sound quality now on the whole computer is TERRIBLE. It sounds distant and sounds like there's a bit of reverb and it is crackly like I have a lisp. The sound card on the computer is a Realtek High Definition Audio Card . . . but when I go to DEVICES on my Cubase 8, it doesn't show this option to choose as a sound card, but rather gives me the options of 1. No Driver; 2. ASIO4ALL v2; or Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver.

2. As I try to record internal sound from the same computer where the Cubase software is loaded, I don't get a SOUND READING on the Cubase software's audio meter.

3. I'm wondering, I know that, at first, there was a incompatibility between Windows 10 and Cubase 8 . . . and I've gone to the steinberg site to download updates . . . but I wonder if I've missed the right update to make them compatible. So, a) how do I make sure that I have that update loaded that makes Windows 10 and Cubase 8 compatible; and b) how do I upgrade to 8.5. When I first bought the software, there was a free option to upgrade from 8 to 8.5, but just now, as I looked up the version, I see that somehow it didn't upgrade.

Thanks so much

Rish
West Salem, Oregon

User avatar
Scab Pickens
Senior Member
Posts: 1890
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:27 am
Location: Davenport, IA USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 vs Cubase 8 [version 8.0.4] poor sound qualit

Post by Scab Pickens »

SIRRISH wrote:Hello, please may I ask three quick questions regarding my Cubase 8? ...
Sure, why not :P ?
SIRRISH wrote:I have a fairly new HP computer running Windows 10 and Cubase 8, and I'm having two problems.

1. My sound quality now on the whole computer is TERRIBLE. It sounds distant and sounds like there's a bit of reverb and it is crackly like I have a lisp. The sound card on the computer is a Realtek High Definition Audio Card . . . but when I go to DEVICES on my Cubase 8, it doesn't show this option to choose as a sound card, but rather gives me the options of 1. No Driver; 2. ASIO4ALL v2; or Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver. ...
Your sound quality "now"? It was okay previously?

Sound quality is equally "TERRIBLE" whether from Cubase or other software?

Make sure you don't have anything funky enabled within the Realtek control panel as far as effects and whatnot go.

Cubase will let you use the onboard Realtek sound device, but unless it has it's own dedicated ASIO driver (I'm 99.9% positive it doesn't) you will need to select a driver such as (the mysteriously installed) ASIO4ALL.
SIRRISH wrote:2. As I try to record internal sound from the same computer where the Cubase software is loaded, I don't get a SOUND READING on the Cubase software's audio meter. ...
:?
SIRRISH wrote:3. I'm wondering, I know that, at first, there was a incompatibility between Windows 10 and Cubase 8 . . . and I've gone to the steinberg site to download updates . . . but I wonder if I've missed the right update to make them compatible. So, a) how do I make sure that I have that update loaded that makes Windows 10 and Cubase 8 compatible; and b) how do I upgrade to 8.5. When I first bought the software, there was a free option to upgrade from 8 to 8.5, but just now, as I looked up the version, I see that somehow it didn't upgrade. ...
Does eLicenser Control Center show a license for 8 or 8.5? If 8.5, you should be able to download the installer media through your MySteinberg account. Or, create a support ticket (also through your MySteinberg account). Your activation date determines eligibility for the grace period.
SIRRISH wrote:Thanks so much

Rish
West Salem, Oregon
You're welcome.
Windows 10 | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 8 | Dorico 3 SE | Focusrite Pro 40

SIRRISH
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 vs Cubase 8 [version 8.0.4] poor sound qualit

Post by SIRRISH »

Thanks for your kind reply . . . you wrote . . .

Your sound quality "now"? It was okay previously?

Yes, it was as good as all my other computers (I sit in a "U" shape configuration . . . a 27" screen for my Mac Sierra computer to my left, a 21" screen to my old XP computer [where I've done all my Cubase SX recording] at center, and my 27" Windows 10 computer to my right).

Sound quality is equally "TERRIBLE" whether from Cubase or other software?

Yes . . . no matter what I play from the affected computer (Itunes or whatever) it all sounds the same.

Make sure you don't have anything funky enabled within the Realtek control panel as far as effects and whatnot go.

Hmmm, I don't know---as yet---how to get to any Realtek Control Panel. At least I haven't found it yet.

Cubase will let you use the onboard Realtek sound device, but unless it has it's own dedicated ASIO driver (I'm 99.9% positive it doesn't) you will need to select a driver such as (the mysteriously installed) ASIO4ALL.

I've tried to switch to that . . . but I will try that again. Thank you so much for your time.

Post Reply

Return to “Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest