Workflow & Template tips thread 2016

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
realizment2

Workflow & Template tips thread 2016

Post by realizment2 »

Ok so I thought it would be fun for us to start a thread where we can share our favorite workflow tips. We might be able to pick up some new stuff as we all have our flows and tricks. Anything from naming tracks to programming drums. Favorite templates etc..

I find I start with a blank canvass a lot and decided I really should make more templates. My basic production templates consist of Maschine, Battery, Kontakt, PLAY, OMNIsphere, nexux and sylenth1.

I generally prefer to record in Pro tools these days for convenience sake. But if the track is not finished when its time to record vocals I set my cubase up with vocal bus and basic delay/reverb.

What are some your favorite workflows for getting started with new tracks, favorite tips for getting your foundations down, do you mix on the go? etc etc..

Share..

Manike

Re: Workflow & Template tips thread 2016

Post by Manike »

There's a preset macro, move tracks to new folder and assign to a buss which I use all the time. The only thing I might try is also having a macro that in addition to that links the channels within the group.

Another neat thing is to use the logical editor to only play the midi notes associated with snare, kick, hihat etc. Then if you have written a drumtrack with whatever drum sampler, you can then duplicate that track several times over and solo say, kick on one, snare on another and hihat on another. It's useful if you want to process solo sampler drums with the Overheads too.
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Catalina : Cubase11 : AX4RU : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :

Macbook pro : Catalina
http://www.manikemusic.com

jtay

Post by jtay »

Speaking of blank canvases, I recommend making your own custom "empty" template in place of the default one. Mine has tempo, signature, marker, ruler, and chord tracks already created and visible in the top section of the divided project window. Other tracks go in the bottom section. Also my preferred I/O routing, colors, zoom settings, and visible racks in the mixers are saved in the template, too.

I just got so sick of having to set all of that up every time.
Windows 7 x64 | Cubase 8.0.40 Pro | Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
AMD FX 8320 | 32GB DDR3 | ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | 500GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO (samples) | 500GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO (samples)| 1TB HDD WD Black 7200RPM (OS, DAW)
Instruments from EastWest, Spectrasonics, Toontrack
Effects from Waves

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

realizment2 wrote:Ok so I thought it would be fun for us to start a thread where we can share our favorite workflow tips. We might be able to pick up some new stuff as we all have our flows and tricks. Anything from naming tracks to programming drums. Favorite templates etc..

I find I start with a blank canvass a lot and decided I really should make more templates. My basic production templates consist of Maschine, Battery, Kontakt, PLAY, OMNIsphere, nexux and sylenth1.

I generally prefer to record in Pro tools these days for convenience sake. But if the track is not finished when its time to record vocals I set my cubase up with vocal bus and basic delay/reverb.

What are some your favorite workflows for getting started with new tracks, favorite tips for getting your foundations down, do you mix on the go? etc etc..

Share..
+ I'm in, good thread to start. 8-)
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 »

jtay wrote:Speaking of blank canvases, I recommend making your own custom "empty" template in place of the default one. Mine has tempo, signature, marker, ruler, and chord tracks already created and visible in the top section of the divided project window. Other tracks go in the bottom section. Also my preferred I/O routing, colors, zoom settings, and visible racks in the mixers are saved in the template, too.

Templates are very helpful. I have several at this point and use depending on the kind of project I'm starting or what I'm trying to learn better.

My primary Template is called "Song Starter" and is set-up much like yours is. -- It includes a basic set of assigned instruments, audio tracks, routing, chord, marker and arranger tracks.. It takes a moment to load, but it's a great way to have a good starting points created automatically. I also have other Templates for other tasks and "research" if you will.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

realizment2

Post by realizment2 »

Manike wrote:There's a preset macro, move tracks to new folder and assign to a buss which I use all the time. The only thing I might try is also having a macro that in addition to that links the channels within the group.

Another neat thing is to use the logical editor to only play the midi notes associated with snare, kick, hihat etc. Then if you have written a drumtrack with whatever drum sampler, you can then duplicate that track several times over and solo say, kick on one, snare on another and hihat on another. It's useful if you want to process solo sampler drums with the Overheads too.
Damn nice, I never knew about this macro how do I access it? Sounds handy! Can you elaborate on the logical editor a little?
Last edited by realizment2 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

realizment2

Post by realizment2 »

jtay wrote:Speaking of blank canvases, I recommend making your own custom "empty" template in place of the default one. Mine has tempo, signature, marker, ruler, and chord tracks already created and visible in the top section of the divided project window. Other tracks go in the bottom section. Also my preferred I/O routing, colors, zoom settings, and visible racks in the mixers are saved in the template, too.

I do also yea but it needs some tweaks. I need to start utilizing the marker and ruler tracks also.

realizment2

Post by realizment2 »

Manike wrote:There's a preset macro, move tracks to new folder and assign to a buss which I use all the time. The only thing I might try is also having a macro that in addition to that links the channels within the group.

As ive never really used the logical editor would these be quicker than just simply duplicating then deleteing the parts on each u dont need?

Manike

Post by Manike »

realizment2 wrote:As ive never really used the logical editor would these be quicker than just simply duplicating then deleteing the parts on each u dont need?

Once you have the preset written it's quicker use than deleting yeah. And sorry I should correct and say the 'transformer' which is the midi insert version of the logical editor.

realizment2 wrote:Damn nice, I never knew about this macro how do I access it? Sounds handy!
The Macros are in the edit menu and you can make your own from the key commands window. Really useful!

realizment2

Post by realizment2 »

Manike wrote:
realizment2 wrote:As ive never really used the logical editor would these be quicker than just simply duplicating then deleteing the parts on each u dont need?

Once you have the preset written it's quicker use than deleting yeah. And sorry I should correct and say the 'transformer' which is the midi insert version of the logical editor.

realizment2 wrote:Damn nice, I never knew about this macro how do I access it? Sounds handy!
The Macros are in the edit menu and you can make your own from the key commands window. Really useful!
Is the macro you mentioned one you made yourself? Can you provide steps to set it up if so.? thank you

realizment2

Post by realizment2 »

Scratch that I found it! Thanks!

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Stephen57 wrote: Templates are very helpful. I have several at this point and use depending on the kind of project I'm starting or what I'm trying to learn better.

My primary Template is called "Song Starter" and is set-up much like yours is. -- It includes a basic set of assigned instruments, audio tracks, routing, chord, marker and arranger tracks.. It takes a moment to load, but it's a great way to have a good starting points created automatically. I also have other Templates for other tasks and "research" if you will.
+1 for well thought out templates. I keep a notepad at hand where I jot down changes I want to make to my template(s). Then every six months or so I go in and update the template. Always learning new Cubase stuff (even after many many years) and periodic template updates help capture that.

I've recently added a set of disabled Instrument Tracks to my template. VSTi's that I almost always use are on enabled tracks, but the next tier down, instruments I frequently but not always use, are on the disabled tracks.
rodger

Cubase Pro 11, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

BaseCu

Post by BaseCu »

raino wrote:
I've recently added a set of disabled Instrument Tracks to my template. VSTi's that I almost always use are on enabled tracks, but the next tier down, instruments I frequently but not always use, are on the disabled tracks.
Building templates with disabled instrument tracks is a technique I use too. It's particularly valuable for large orchestral templates with many slowly-loading VSTi's (e.g., all of EWQL's libraries!). Waiting five minutes for a template to load when I have a great idea is a real creativity-killer.

@raino You changed your avatar!
Studio One, Reaper, Sonar, Cubase | Win10 | i7 8750H/16 GB | RME Fireface UCX

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

BaseCu wrote: @raino You changed your avatar!
I molted. :o
rodger

Cubase Pro 11, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

keyzs

Post by keyzs »

Hi guys... since we're on the issues of templates and workflow for 2016, i have a wired question with regard to Kontakt.

all along i have large template sets in various instances of Kontakt; some with more instruments and some with less - from 6 instruments to 12 maximum. They are all set up with their own folders and then the MIDI tracks will load and placed into their respective folders.

recently, out of laziness, i decided to use one instrument per single instance of Kontakt. i found the advantages as follows:
1. easy track controls - (need need to look for track being MIDI or Instrument Audio Track; MUTE, SOLO, VST.... etc
2. easy to Freeze a single instrument - as opposed to the whole Kontakt collection
3. easy to change to a different instrument (ie from Kontakt Piano to Korg M1) - all Track, MIDI, Notepad, Version... etc data is retained
5. dont have to double check on either MIDI or Audio Automation
6. some other benefits....

i was wondering if using one instrument per Kontakt instance is more efficient or still using the previous workflow of Kontakt Multitimbral with separate MIDI tracks... any advice is much appreciate.

many thanks all... Cheers!!!
intel i7-3770, Gigabyte Z77, AMD HD6970, Kingstons 32GB, Win7 x64, UR-44, CC-121, Cubase Pro 8.0.40 (Build 623) x64

http://illuminesymphony.ddns.net/

J-S-Q

Post by J-S-Q »

keyzs wrote:Hi guys... since we're on the issues of templates and workflow for 2016, i have a wired question with regard to Kontakt.

all along i have large template sets in various instances of Kontakt; some with more instruments and some with less - from 6 instruments to 12 maximum. They are all set up with their own folders and then the MIDI tracks will load and placed into their respective folders.

recently, out of laziness, i decided to use one instrument per single instance of Kontakt. i found the advantages as follows:
1. easy track controls - (need need to look for track being MIDI or Instrument Audio Track; MUTE, SOLO, VST.... etc
2. easy to Freeze a single instrument - as opposed to the whole Kontakt collection
3. easy to change to a different instrument (ie from Kontakt Piano to Korg M1) - all Track, MIDI, Notepad, Version... etc data is retained

i was wondering if using one instrument per Kontakt instance is more efficient or still using the previous workflow of Kontakt Multitimbral with separate MIDI tracks... any advice is much appreciate.

I haven't done any detailed testing on this but from casual observation, using multiple Kontakt Instrument tracks vs. 1 multi output Kontakt in the Instrument Rack seems to be about the same on the ASIO meter so I just use Instrument Tracks now for the reasons you've listed above.
Cubase Pro 9, Win10
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X. MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X399. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GV-N96TSL GeForce 9600GT. SYSTEM DRIVE: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg MR816-CSX CONTROLLER: Avid S3, Avid Artist Transport

Manike

Post by Manike »

keyzs wrote:Hi guys... since we're on the issues of templates and workflow for 2016, i have a wired question with regard to Kontakt.

This is how I use kontakt - It should spread the load equally across multiple cores when you do this also.

keyzs

Post by keyzs »

Hi guys, thanks for the replies... somehow it does feel a lot more efficient though... looks like i'd be modifying the templates and workflow then.

much appreciated... :-)
J-S-Q wrote:
I haven't done any detailed testing on this but from casual observation, using multiple Kontakt Instrument tracks vs. 1 multi output Kontakt in the Instrument Rack seems to be about the same on the ASIO meter so I just use Instrument Tracks now for the reasons you've listed above.
As for the ASIO spikes or rise, i noticed there is significant movement only when Tracks have ARM enabled. Other than that, the ASIO meters will stay below the first quarter of the meter.

in the past i used to leave all that on by default and the ASIO meter will really jump wildly. it never really bothered me though even when ASIO bumps the red as there are no pops or clicks. however, these days i tend to disable ARM after sequencing or recording. Apparently the meters seems to calm down.

many thanks again and cheers!!!
intel i7-3770, Gigabyte Z77, AMD HD6970, Kingstons 32GB, Win7 x64, UR-44, CC-121, Cubase Pro 8.0.40 (Build 623) x64

Manike

Post by Manike »

keyzs wrote: As for the ASIO spikes or rise, i noticed there is significant movement only when Tracks have ARM enabled. Other than that, the ASIO meters will stay below the first quarter of the meter.

Yeah thats asio guard. The dual buffer system works great for me but it does mean when you arms tracks you put pressure on the system.

keyzs

Post by keyzs »

Yup... coolness :-)

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

From a practical side it doesn't really matter which uses the most resources as long as neither approach gets near the limits of what your system can support. Any unused system capacity is gone the moment after it could have been used - unlike money you can't save it to use tomorrow. Do whatever makes your workflow the easiest.
rodger

GargoyleStudio

Post by GargoyleStudio »

Here's a tip for quick working quickly with events, say for comping. I've defined the ` key on the top left of my keyboard (UK keyboard) to be rewind. I then use my left hand on that key along with 1, 2, 3, 4, to select the tools (pointer, mute, scissors, audition, in that order) with my right hand on the mouse for trimming parts. Its very fast for detailed editing and reviewing of audio, I use this for chopping up and tidying vocals, guitar or bass.

Another tip for keeping things running smoothly is to avoid having too many audio events displayed. For example, if you're comping a vocal then you'll be creating an awful lot of small audio parts and that can slow down the gui in Cubase. So, do it in sections if you have a long song (or a live gig) and when you've completed the comping bounce this down and hide all the parts - e.g. by using Track Versions or a hidden track somewhere. This really will keep things responsive and flowing smoothly.

This last tip also applies to VariAudio. Before turning on VA, cut the full vocal up into sections (e.g. chorus/verse) and bounce them down so that the audio events are shorter - because VA creates an awful lot of blobs on the screen and this large number of gui items can really hit the gui performance.

Mike.
[Win10x64 latest, Cb10.5 latest, MOTU PCIe, UAD2, Waves, Soundtoys, O9N, Arturia, Omnisphere]

realizment2

Post by realizment2 »

All great tips folks!

Does anyone know if there is a short cut to move all notes in a part to one key? For example you have a pitched 808 playing in different notes to the key of the song and you want to layer it with a single kick. Is there a way to highlight all notes and send to one note?

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

realizment2 wrote:All great tips folks!

Does anyone know if there is a short cut to move all notes in a part to one key? For example you have a pitched 808 playing in different notes to the key of the song and you want to layer it with a single kick. Is there a way to highlight all notes and send to one note?
Not at my DAW so I can't provide the exact steps. But you can easily do this using the midi Transformer. Then you can assign that to a Key Command if you want.
rodger

xbitz2

Post by xbitz2 »

generally workflow, some chords progression on the Chord track which can be chopped with Nora(has own piano-roll, clip system so the ideas can be tried quickly like different bass layering, arps etc. same workflow as with the Session view of Ableton Live), creating some custom fxs with Reaktor Blocks, synth layering with BC PatchWork etc.

Return to “General”