Cubase 8 Pro was not ready for public release

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
Rumdrum

Re: Cubase 8 Pro was not ready for public release

Post by Rumdrum »

Yes Indeed! And the fact it being fewer that reported problems with MAC as opposed to Win on this forum cannot be taken into credit either as there are fewer MACs around. However the fact still remains that due to lesser component variety software companies have less problems adapting to MAC. And to me it was going from hell to heaven when I bought MAC for Cubase. But as mentioned I have kept my PCs for Office as the GUI is better on PC for those programs.
Mac Pro - Maverics 3,2Ghz - 20GB RAM - 22TB Disc, Cubase 10 + 4.5 (on PC/XP), Wavelab 9, iPad Remote, RME Hammerfall RAYDAT, Yamaha01V96, and a bucket of ice cream.

roel

Post by roel »

Interesting topic. I disagree that this release is too early for public release based on the following:

I make a difference between two releases in terms of what can be expected from it.

FIrst thing is that before they release a new version with new functionalities, they finish (to a certain level, but quite high) the previous release. That is 7.5, and that version is under any condition available on the system since licenses are working top-down. The mature version should imho be the version to be used in live or in pro surroundings.

At the same time there is an anual pressure to release new functionalities on time. (look back on how many questions there were for a new release at the end of 2014) And what follows is an x.0 release on schedule. It has been tested since august 2014 by a team of beta testers. (not me)

Debugging this completely with use cases like is being done in a professional environment is virtually impossible, since documenting this would take up thousands and thousands of use cases. No single company has that kind of resources available. And releasing it to a bunch of normal users as beta testers without having the proper feedback line setup is also not an option since the guys who do the programming are most of the times not end-users themselves and beta testing without a proper schedule and documentation is very inefficient.

It could be an option if improving the testcycle would be a requirement, to do a release to a "wider" user base before doing the final public release for some months. But that is on the other hand a killer for the release schedule that in fact is quite strict nowadays. (every year something new) So they do a release, imho, that is functional, based on a certain amount of use cases, and then it's release time.

A release is premature if there are still critical malfunctions. If that is still present in a release, that is a bad. Generic things like crashes, blue screens, startup problems, and other unwanted severe bugs may not be present in an x.0 release. I think with version 8.0 there were no real critical bugs. The biggest i was aware of were the incompabilities on windows systems with Always on top and the new GUI. That was quite severe in my opinion, but that was also fixed quite fast in a 8.05 release. (but they were windows only (and tells something about what kind of machines the beta-testers are using))

Bugs that are critical under user-specific conditions are not crititcal in a generic way, and if they are traced before the release date is thus heavily dependend on the fact that the guys who design the use cases for beta-testing are aware of them and if they were listed as a possible use case.

Best thing to do with those bugs that are still there is to get them documented as quick as possible, so that the program can be finetuned.

So for me: version 7.5 does its job and everything i need is recorded and present in 7.5 and needs no change. That's fine.
At the same time i am working a lot in the new version 8, bugs included, and i'm using this "free" time to adapting myself to the new workflow that has been introduced. For me it will take several months before everything is fully setup, but hey: i give version 8 a big 10 in terms of new workflow and new functionalities. I will be able to do a lot more with just the same equipment, and that's a good thing.
Once this release is going to it's mature state (probably before the end of this year), i'm going to have one hell of a good DAW with excellent workflow.

Meanwhile, 7.5 will do "the job".

FWIW,
kind regards,
R.
Cubase 10.5, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, P771zm, i7 4790S, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, 2x Samsung SSD850 +touch screen
Slave: none, will probably never be replaced because latest processors are powerfull enough
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb), Focusrite 18i20, behringer 16 ch mixer
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics and a lot of others
hardware: S760, CD3000xl, SY77, studiologic 990, alesis Q88,

johnstaf

Post by johnstaf »

Maybe this is the public beta for Nuendo 7 :)
Lots of stuff. OS agnostic.

roel

Post by roel »

johnstaf wrote:Maybe this is the public beta for Nuendo 7 :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cubase 10.5, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, P771zm, i7 4790S, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, 2x Samsung SSD850 +touch screen
Slave: none, will probably never be replaced because latest processors are powerfull enough
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb), Focusrite 18i20, behringer 16 ch mixer
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics and a lot of others
hardware: S760, CD3000xl, SY77, studiologic 990, alesis Q88,

Freddie H

Post by Freddie H »

I like Cubase PRO 8 overall but some bugs are way to simple not to been found by a simple BETA test team.
It took me less then 10-20 minutes to recognized some basic major problems that were wrong in Cubase PRO 8.0.0.

Example of problems.

1. Cubase PRO 8 lock up the taskbar completely.

2. Can't minimize the project window.

3. VCA faders don't save state. (Still don't).

4. Select one channel that belongs to a VCA fader-group, highlight and select all channels in mixer view. (Still haven't been addressed)

5. VCA and "link" "key commands" are broken. (Still broken)

6. Rec button doesn't work working with VCA fader-group. It set record-mode on all channels that belong to same VCA-group.

So the question is, either Steinberg hasn't BETA test the new product at all or the BETA Testers are to incompetent to discover or recognize basic problems? Hire me as a BETA tester in the future are one of the solutions.

Best Regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

roel wrote: Bugs that are critical under user-specific conditions are not crititcal in a generic way, and if they are traced before the release date is thus heavily dependend on the fact that the guys who design the use cases for beta-testing are aware of them and if they were listed as a possible use case.

Best thing to do with those bugs that are still there is to get them documented as quick as possible, so that the program can be finetuned.
I agree critical condition as crashes, blue screens, etc that apply to a good portion of users would indeed be critical and of course top priority.

But I think the fact that MCU does not work in C8 is also critical. Especially if C8 is "pro" and wants to attract users who depend on MCU. Of course not as critical as the above, but anyone who uses MCU presently has to go back to C7.5. I can't fathom beta testers failing to flush out such a simple problem as MCU not working in C8. I believe Steinberg released C8 with full knowledge MCU not working. It's this cyclical environment that I wish would somehow change, but as said before users vote with their pockets and therefore the cycle continues...until there is a competitor that does it better. IMO there is no one else even close....but that of course depends on your own uses and expectations.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Freddie H wrote:I like Cubase PRO 8 overall but some bugs are way to simple not to been found by a simple BETA test team.
It took me less then 10-20 minutes to recognized some basic major problems that were wrong in Cubase PRO 8.0.0.

Example of problems.

4. Select one channel that belongs to a VCA fader-group, highlight and select all channels in mixer view. (Still haven't been addressed)

6. Rec button doesn't work working with VCA fader-group. It set record-mode on all channels that belong to same VCA-group.

So the question is, either Steinberg hasn't BETA test the new product at all or the BETA Testers are to incompetent to discover or recognize basic problems? Hire me as a BETA tester in the future are one of the solutions.

Best Regards
Freddie
Freddie, are all 6 issues already in the submitted issues forum? And are all of these issues confirmed with no other users conflicting that they work on their system?

I was wondering why there are so many issues submitted, that are not confirmed by Steinberg and transferred to the "collected issues." Some of these bugs are very simple to verify. My personal bug that hinders workflow is the History page where the up/down arrows no longer work with C8. To my knowledge no one can get it to work. Anyone can verify this bug/issue exists within 5 seconds....yet it to this day is not in the "collected issues " section. Does anyone have an answer?
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

Freddie H

Post by Freddie H »

greggybud wrote:
Freddie H wrote:I like Cubase PRO 8 overall but some bugs are way to simple not to been found by a simple BETA test team.

Example of problems.

Best Regards
Freddie
Freddie, are all 6 issues already in the submitted issues forum? And are all of these issues confirmed with no other users conflicting that they work on their system?

I was wondering why there are so many issues submitted, that are not confirmed by Steinberg and transferred to the "collected issues." Some of these bugs are very simple to verify. My personal bug that hinders workflow is the History page where the up/down arrows no longer work with C8. To my knowledge no one can get it to work. Anyone can verify this bug/issue exists within 5 seconds....yet it to this day is not in the "collected issues " section. Does anyone have an answer?

Hi!

Yes, all are known bugs and there are several reports about it.
Some of the bugs that I mentioned earlier have already been addressed in Cubase PRO 8.0.5 maintenance update.

Best regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!

Musicmind

Post by Musicmind »

Freddie H wrote:

Best Regards
Freddie
Questions??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Musicmind (Mind the Music!)
Mac Pro 6.1 64Gb, PC Slave 64GB, Mac Pro 12 48Gb, Mac Pro 8 24Gb, MacBookPro, Apollo interface, Universal Audio (1 card), Waves 9, NI Komplete 10, VSL, EWQL Platinum, BFD3, Superior, Arturia, Sound Toys, Euphonix MC Control + Mix, Neumann mics, DynAudio, Yamaha + Adam monitors, a lot of outboard AND Steinway Concert Grand A ;-)

Bantam

Post by Bantam »

greggybud wrote:
roel wrote: Bugs that are critical under user-specific conditions are not crititcal in a generic way, and if they are traced before the release date is thus heavily dependend on the fact that the guys who design the use cases for beta-testing are aware of them and if they were listed as a possible use case.

I agree critical condition as crashes, blue screens, etc that apply to a good portion of users would indeed be critical and of course top priority.

But I think the fact that MCU does not work in C8 is also critical. Especially if C8 is "pro" and wants to attract users who depend on MCU. Of course not as critical as the above, but anyone who uses MCU presently has to go back to C7.5. I can't fathom beta testers failing to flush out such a simple problem as MCU not working in C8. I believe Steinberg released C8 with full knowledge MCU not working. It's this cyclical environment that I wish would somehow change, but as said before users vote with their pockets and therefore the cycle continues...until there is a competitor that does it better. IMO there is no one else even close....but that of course depends on your own uses and expectations.
This happens quite often and sometimes requires that both or three parties involved (windows usually) have to converse and work out where the fault lies.
They do not usually take note of grumbles unless they are specific and have a bearing on how the problem resolves. It helps to actually REPORT in the ISSUES section or contact SUPPORT if things like MCU doesn't work. If it isn't there then the problem "doesn't exist". And having seen no mention of this ANYWHERE either here or any other relevant site/forum I wonder why not.
And as this is a "second hand" post it's not REALLY the place to report this. Is it, my fellow professionals? (Professional = men who know how to report problems to those whom it may concern)
i7 3.20gHz; 16gig ram; Win 8.1; Asus z87-k mother.

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Bantam wrote: This happens quite often and sometimes requires that both or three parties involved (windows usually) have to converse and work out where the fault lies.
They do not usually take note of grumbles unless they are specific and have a bearing on how the problem resolves. It helps to actually REPORT in the ISSUES section or contact SUPPORT if things like MCU doesn't work. If it isn't there then the problem "doesn't exist". And having seen no mention of this ANYWHERE either here or any other relevant site/forum I wonder why not.
And as this is a "second hand" post it's not REALLY the place to report this. Is it, my fellow professionals? (Professional = men who know how to report problems to those whom it may concern)
"Windows usually"? So I can go buy a Mac and MCU will work? :lol: Oh...it's a Mackie issue too right? :lol:

You must not look very hard because this issue is in more than one place. Of course you are the "professional."

From the ISSUES section reported on December 4th.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 30&t=69931

From the GENERAL section reported on December 3rd.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 26&t=69759

Whats next? Admonishment for waiting 24 hours to report it to the ISSUES section? :lol:

Bantam

Post by Bantam »

OK So it's there. This professional didn't waste too much time searching. I don't know, you try and help and get the Spanish Inquisition. :mrgreen: :roll:

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 »

The objective of good design, whether products or services, is to …satisfy customers by meeting their actual or anticipated needs and expectations.

chimpspanner

Post by chimpspanner »

I really want to love Cubase 8 and dive into it but at the moment it feels like I don't know what bug I'm going to run into next. Examples:

Click track works approx. 50% of the time
Crashes on plugin re-scan (or takes a VERY long time)
POD Farm (which is one of my most critical plugins) no longer functions correctly after 8.05
Menu bar items only visible one at a time when I mouse over the new Cubase bar at the top
Things don't always appear in the foreground like they ought to

Luckily I kept 7.5 installed which has none of these problems, so I can continue working (virtually everything I do for work involves using Cubase).

I'm going to submit issue reports for the above and hopefully if everyone else does the same, 8.x will iron out the bugs. But I am pretty disappointed right now.
http://www.paulortizmusic.com

HP Envy J130ea | i7 4700MQ | 12GB RAM | 2GB GeForce 740m | Win 10 64-bit | Cubase Pro 8.5

Svenne

Post by Svenne »

greggybud wrote:So I can go buy a Mac and MCU will work? :lol:
That may be one solution.
greggybud wrote:Oh...it's a Mackie issue too right? :lol:
You're quite right! It's always the thirdparty manufacturers responsibility to make sure that their products are compatible with the main manufacturers (Steinberg, in this case) products. Just as it is Steinbergs responsibility to make sure that their products are compatible with Windows/OSX, not Microsofts or Apples.

So if MCU doesn't work with Cubase, it's a Mackie issue. And it is Mackie' responsibility to fix it, not Steinbergs. Of couse Steinberg can choose to assist Macke in fixing it. That doesn't shift the responsibility, though.

Have you posted an issue on the Mackie site/forum/support?
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

chimpspanner wrote:I really want to love Cubase 8 and dive into it but at the moment it feels like I don't know what bug I'm going to run into next. Examples:

POD Farm (which is one of my most critical plugins) no longer functions correctly after 8.05
Menu bar items only visible one at a time when I mouse over the new Cubase bar at the top

Luckily I kept 7.5 installed which has none of these problems, so I can continue working (virtually everything I do for work involves using Cubase).

I'm going to submit issue reports for the above and hopefully if everyone else does the same, 8.x will iron out the bugs. But I am pretty disappointed right now.
Issue one is a registered issue

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/de/support ... tions.html

Issue two does not happen to all users. I don't know what you system specs are?
Issue 3 might give you the excuse to get a better amp sim. :lol:
Issue 4 - Configure and save a workspace. If you don't let the window cover the menu bar you with be able to minimise with a right click>minimise. - you can also use a Key Command. See Workspace Organiser.
Issue 5 - The only issue I am having with that is that Vst menus don't always work and some of the save prompt windows for Native Instrument VSTi's disappear behaind the plugin and you can only access from the Cubase icon on the task bar.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 10 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 10.5 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 12 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335x2,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette x 3 - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

Rexgtr

Post by Rexgtr »

I can confirm this:
Click only works half the time~.
Menu bar items only visible one at a time when I mouse over the new Cubase bar at the top.

Plus the Steinberg Hub menu doesn't work.

I submitted a slew of errors/bugs which mirror other PC users beta tests, then I realized why none of my submitted issues didn't get posted is because I need to follow to the letter the rules for Customer forced beta tester submissions. :geek:
i7 950 12Gb Ram GTX 580 Windows 7 64bit
Pro Tools 12.3, Cubase Pro 8.05
Eventide Eclipse, Kurzweil KSP8 + RSP8, K2600X, Integra 7, Axon AX 100 MKII, AxeFx II, Mackie 1642 VLZ3 mixer, Mbox M-One, MOTU MIDI Xpress 128

Jalcide

Post by Jalcide »

Bantam wrote:I don't know, you try and help and get the Spanish Inquisition. :mrgreen: :roll:
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

4 DAW Network:

Main: Studio One V3 (Cubase Pro 9.0.1 on ice until future update solves some issues), Win 7 64-bit, i7-4790K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX, 16GB, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe (UGT-FW200), CMC Controllers (2 FDs, PD, QC, CH, AI, TP), 2 NI Kontrol F1 Controllers, Roland JD-Xi, rtpMIDI, Bome MIDI Translator Pro

Node 1 - VSTi Hosting via VEP: VEP 6 (& Sonar Platinum), Win 7, i7-4770K @ 4.0Ghz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, NI Kore 1 Controller, rtpMIDI

Node 2 - 16 Channel Stem Summing via VEP: VEP 6, Win 10, i5-4690K 3.9Ghz, Gigabyte Z97MX, 16GB, Intel HD 4600 Gfx, rtpMIDI

Node 3 - 2 Channel Mastering Chain via ADAT Optical: Reaper, Win 7, i5-4670K @ 4.1GHz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Nvidia GeForce 210, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, rtpMIDI

DLearyUS

Post by DLearyUS »

svenne wrote:
"So if MCU doesn't work with Cubase, it's a Mackie issue. And it is Mackie' responsibility to fix it, not Steinbergs. Of couse Steinberg can choose to assist Macke in fixing it. That doesn't shift the responsibility, though."

i think the point is if it worked on v7.5 perfectly how can it be an mcu issue? the protocol cannot be rewritten to satisfy steinberg compatibility. that would be like demanding the usb technology be changed because my dongle doesnt register in a usb3 port. you do not change a standard driver/device to fit the app. the app fits the standard.

but in keeping with the thread. basic functions eg surface control are generally working in a RTM release. i expect basic flaws in an alpha/beta thats what they are "test" versions. i don not expect basic functionality issues with a release labelled "Pro" released as "Ready To Market"

ps mcu works in every other major daw app on win/osx so again im doubtful its device/driver issue.
Last edited by DLearyUS on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase v10.5 Pro / Win10-64 Pro/ Tascam FW-1884+FE8+FE8 / ART TubeOpto8 Xpander

Bantam

Post by Bantam »

DLearyUS wrote:svenne wrote:
"So if MCU doesn't work with Cubase, it's a Mackie issue. And it is Mackie' responsibility to fix it, not Steinbergs. Of couse Steinberg can choose to assist Macke in fixing it. That doesn't shift the responsibility, though."

i think the point is if it worked on v7.5 perfectly how can it be an mcu issue? the protocol cannot be rewritten to satisfy steinberg compatibility. that would be like demanding the usb technology be changed because my dongle doesnt register in a usb3 port. you do not change a standard driver/device to fit the app. the app fits the standard.

but in keeping with the thread. basic functions eg surface control are generally working in a RTM release. i expect basic flaws in an alpha/beta thats what they are "test" versions. i don not expect basic functionality issues with a release labelled "Pro" released as "Ready To Market"

ps mcu works in every other major daw app on win/osx so again im doubtful its device/driver issue.
But there has been problems before with Cubase and Mackie control. I don't know how hard it is to fix or exactly the cause but there is something going on between Cubase and MCU that seems difficult to resolve at times. This being one of those times.
However, I guess Steinberg went ahead with the release anyhow. I don't know, but for financial reasons of the product going forward, maybe needing a sales boost at this time for cash flow. I would think they considered that any faults or omissions like an MCU issue could wait while there was still C7.5 that worked with the MCU.
You can't always delay product release if it means that the company accountants say money needs to move or else. The customer might always be right but only as long as the shop is still open for business.

chimpspanner

Post by chimpspanner »

silhouette wrote:
chimpspanner wrote:I really want to love Cubase 8 and dive into it but at the moment it feels like I don't know what bug I'm going to run into next. Examples:

Issue one is a registered issue

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/de/support ... tions.html

Issue two does not happen to all users. I don't know what you system specs are?
Issue 3 might give you the excuse to get a better amp sim. :lol:
Issue 4 - Configure and save a workspace. If you don't let the window cover the menu bar you with be able to minimise with a right click>minimise. - you can also use a Key Command. See Workspace Organiser.
Issue 5 - The only issue I am having with that is that Vst menus don't always work and some of the save prompt windows for Native Instrument VSTi's disappear behaind the plugin and you can only access from the Cubase icon on the task bar.
Yeah I've seen that the click issue is a recognised one. I just can't understand why it wasn't a priority fix for 8.05. I mean at it's most basic/fundamental you want to be able to record music with Cubase. Kinda hard without a click, unless you're more of a free-form kinda guy haha.

System specs are okay; i7 3632QM, 8GB RAM. Not a beast by any stretch but still capable. I'm gonna be looking to up the RAM to 16GB and I'm replacing the single internal 5400rpm drive with two 1TB SSHD's (swapping out DVD drive). So I'm sure that'll improve things all over.

Hey, POD Farm is still okay - I still much prefer the sounds to anything VST Amp Rack can do (damn thing is so noisy and brittle at high gain it's untrue!) and it sounds good with GR5 Pro's cab section. Of course now I'm using GR5 for everything and the amp simulation is 'better' but there are certain effects and amps in PF that I still like to use. Line 6 are aware of the issue to but I have a feeling that even if they do fix it, they'll be fixing a problem caused by 8.05 that might go away again with 8.1.

Anyway I'm still using Cubase 8, and I'm still getting a lot of work done. I do really like it, and the new features are enough to make it worth the extra patience. I just think the next couple of upgrades are gonna be really crucial.
http://www.paulortizmusic.com

HP Envy J130ea | i7 4700MQ | 12GB RAM | 2GB GeForce 740m | Win 10 64-bit | Cubase Pro 8.5

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

chimpspanner wrote: Yeah I've seen that the click issue is a recognised one. I just can't understand why it wasn't a priority fix for 8.05. I mean at it's most basic/fundamental you want to be able to record music with Cubase. Kinda hard without a click, unless you're more of a free-form kinda guy haha.

System specs are okay; i7 3632QM, 8GB RAM. Not a beast by any stretch but still capable. I'm gonna be looking to up the RAM to 16GB and I'm replacing the single internal 5400rpm drive with two 1TB SSHD's (swapping out DVD drive). So I'm sure that'll improve things all over.

Hey, POD Farm is still okay - I still much prefer the sounds to anything VST Amp Rack can do (damn thing is so noisy and brittle at high gain it's untrue!) and it sounds good with GR5 Pro's cab section. Of course now I'm using GR5 for everything and the amp simulation is 'better' but there are certain effects and amps in PF that I still like to use. Line 6 are aware of the issue to but I have a feeling that even if they do fix it, they'll be fixing a problem caused by 8.05 that might go away again with 8.1.

Anyway I'm still using Cubase 8, and I'm still getting a lot of work done. I do really like it, and the new features are enough to make it worth the extra patience. I just think the next couple of upgrades are gonna be really crucial.
Likewise with the click. I still get a bit irritable about it and the vst drop down menu issue.
If you want an inexpensive Guitar Sim try S-Gear, they do a two week unrestricted demo. Only downside is there is no tuner or efx pedals. However fabulous sound - especially if you have the Redwirez Speaker ir's. Which means more to me than all the bells and whistles. It seems much more like using a real amp. I have never got on with the basic sound of Guitar Rig and Amplitude is let down badly with the speaker emulation(ir's). Revalver 4 is very good and I am getting to know Bias which seems to be very good if a bit bright and upfront for me.

When they sort out the main issues I think 8 will be unbeatable. Fingers crossed!
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 10 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 10.5 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 12 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335x2,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette x 3 - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

StudioCompyfox

Post by StudioCompyfox »

curteye wrote:Aloha guys,

Why not just wait a lil while for the 'free' demo version
and see if that works for you?

{'-'}
Welp, this is the problem - there is no "demo version" as of yet, and it looks like it won't be available anytime soon either. This is IMO not a good move.

C7 took up to 4 months until the demo was out, C7.5 was available within 2 months. A lot of people can't wait and jump on an upgrade - then it can go two ways from there:
a) people get burned (like it also happened with C7),
b) people are happy.

Two different camps fighting against each other. And you can read various outbursts on web boards. This is in my opinion not really great marketing. Maybe something needs to be covered up? Or the company trusts in the users to be happy with what they are getting. But reading the comments on issues, it seems to be the other way around. I would have acted way sooner already - shifted release cycles (extend it rather than stay within 2 years), changed the .5 upgrade model to something more fleshed out.

To me, C8 at this point - from what I've seen/read (no access to a demo, so no further comment on pro's/con's) - looks to me like C7.75 Beta rather than a fully fledged release. And I don't understand why this has to be the case.

Sadly, Wavelab is now going a similar route, at an alarming pace even.

Another thing that currently doesn't swing with me, is the lack of a "boxed upgrade" to at least a .0 version.
Let's assume I sit C8 out, since it seems even less polished than C7 (I feel like ported back to SX1 and SX2 days, I rather sit this one out). So I wait for C9.0 and want a boxed version from C7.5. But there isn't any as of the current route that Steinberg is going as company. The future seems to be DLC?

I can understand the hassle for all dot-upgrades (.5), but so far only the full version is "boxed", no upgrade.

Add to that, various issues with control devices, handling, the mixing console seems to be further disimproved (I heard a lot of horror stories from fellows on KVR Audio!). Now I read that Mackie MCU is causing even more issues (I already had that in C7.0 with Mackie babyHUI - until I found out with Humatic TouchDAW, that there are two modes to select: Cubase and Compatibility - which didn't help much) - so I need to consider rebuying hardware controllers again?!

The more I read about C8, the more I actually want to test it BEFOREHAND this time around and not buy it out of confidence, then try to work out the issues for the coming months. But I can't, since there is no demo!

Maybe we're at the brink of a "relaunch" of Cubase again?

By that I mean a complete recode from scratch as it happened with VST5 to SX1. Sometimes I really hope that this is the case - but then I am being remembered of what happened with SX1 and SX2 (barely any hardware integration - essential for me!), and how long I had to bridge the time until SX3. Back then, there weren't that many host alternatives.

Rumdrum wrote:I know there are opposite experiences (confirmed in this forum many times), but all the feedback from professionals I have from both music business and design business report of less trouble with software on MAC than PC. The total environment counts. OS, discs and which software you place on which discs also seem important. The more complex it gets, the more the advantage of a more unified component world of the MAC seems to come into play.
This raises some red flags for me, as Steinberg once thought to only "stick to Macintosh". Last time was early 2000s IIRC. Personally, I'm an avid PC user - as it's simpler/cheaper to upgrade as well. Thankfully, there doesn't seem to be any further indication of a possible PC discontinuation. And Win7 is also still supported - so, yeah.

But this could actually clear why most recent Cubase versions are not available as boxed version, but rather DLC only... Apple's focus on digital distribution. iMac (Generation 7 and up) and the Mac Pro's don't come with an optical drive anymore. Microsoft might go a similar route at this point (USB flashdrive installation).

Something I actually don't mind - but a box in the shelf is still shiny. But then again - why only selling the/a new full version boxed? And then as optical disk still?

I really hope that Steinberg releases a Demo around Winter NAMM 2015. Waiting isn't easy, but I will do that this time around. And hopefully, for the sake of fellow Cubase users, the maintenance updates will also be in monthly cycles, not bi-monthly to 3 months. Especially if you have an eye on reported issues.

YMMV of course.
Win7 64bit SP1/Convenience Rollup on Intel Core i7 920, 3,6GHz | Cubase 10.0.20 | Wavelab 9.1.x
Steinberg user since mid 1990s

Discoworx

Post by Discoworx »

If you didnt do a fresh install, Once you kick around with Cubase long enough, youll start to see the pattern develope.
Fresh Install = 99% of headaches go away.

profdraper wrote:FWIW, a clean system install on a formatted drive, followed by clean install of CP8.05 made 99% of the issues go away. Working rather well except for the buggered MCU driver & a little VCA weirdness. Same for niggles with other DAWs, auths, plugs & VIs. All tidied up and now behaves, took a couple of days, but well worth while. I usually need to to this every once in a while, while maintaining a clean test system on another drive before doing so.

FWIW, Render in Place and Track Bounce work perfectly @ 44.1k/32 and 96k/32. ASIO Guard 2 performs as advertised. I might add, that some of this was indeed problematic before a clean install and so I suggest that many of the problems described by users mix up the CP8 issues with that of local System /competing app /plug problems. Everyone's box is different & so the only way to try to level that playing field is to instal on a clean test system, and certainly before any purchase. Computing 101.

Mac OS X 10.10.1, Mac Pro 5.1 32GB. UA Apollo, UAD PCIes. 2 X VDUs
NI Komplete Ultimate 10. Pro Tools 11, Ableton Live Suite 9.1, DP8, Logic Pro X, FCPX, etc
I7 3770 3.4 Ghz LGA1155 - GigaByte Z77X-DH3 Rev 1 M/B - 16Gb Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz - 128Gb OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 - GTX660 2Gb GFX - Silentium Brutus 410 - Thermaltake Smart 630

rickshapiro

Post by rickshapiro »

You can check almost every DAW forum on any product line and see a thread just like this. It is the nature of product releases, some companies are better then others, some release are better then others. I've had very little problems and reaped significant benefits from the new version. There are so many variables that play into stability (VSTS, OS, Drivers, Audio Cards, etc...) that any release my be problematic for some.

Bottom line, for those who use their DAW for mission critical purposes, give releases some time before jumping on them.

Return to “General”