Cubase 7 sounds better than 8 here at first sight

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
pwmspeed

Re: Cubase 7 sounds better than 8 here at first sight

Post by pwmspeed » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:57 am

HUGE, HUGE facepalm to everything after my post.

First off, even if there was a difference, that difference would be so small, there is no way any human being would hear it.

Secondly:

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG

THIS IS HOW YOU DO A NULL TEST PROPERLY - YOU DO NOT DO A NULL TEST WITH PLUGS, AND BY SENDING AUDIO TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD AND THEN BACK IN, USING DESKS AND CONVERTERS AND EXTERNAL HW[/quote]

Great. I am a mixdown engineer, not a null-ing scientist. All which is evident is that a session in Cubase 7 sound better under 100% the same circumstances as the session in 8. I expected feedback like "wrong, can't be true, can't hear it, sure new is better". Your claim that the difference would be small is definately not real life. Amonst mastering engineers (at least the ones i know) its is a known fact, that e.g. Logic has a terrible sound. A couple of years ago I have been doing comparisions of all major DAW (in the way you described, no plugs, faders at the exact same level etc) and there was a big difference. We examined Protools (HD and LE at the time), Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer etc, then did blind auditions of the files with many different people. So I am not doing this for the first time. I just upgraded to Cubase 8 and instantliy heard, that something has changed for the worse. Then i compared the files, sent them off to a mastering studio (to double check), all with the same result. It is a real life scenario. 100% the same session in 7 and 8. What makes the sound difference is to be analysed by the programmers. I need to mix here on a professional level and the decline in sound I experienced here is not an option. And if someone chan't here is on the files i posted: maybe get a better sound card?

one little remark: up to recently Steinberg advertised Cubase with the quality sound of its audio engine. now i can read nothing on this anymore. its just increased performance. maybe i can mell a rat: more plugs and instruments, less sound?
Cubase 7.5 with CC121, Studer 962 Mixer, API 8200 Summing Modules, Lavry+RME converters, Various outboard including Urei, API, Lexicon, Audio & Design, Telefunken.

sycophant

Post by sycophant » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:38 pm

pwmspeed wrote:HUGE, HUGE facepalm to everything after my post.

First off, even if there was a difference, that difference would be so small, there is no way any human being would hear it.

Secondly:

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG

THIS IS HOW YOU DO A NULL TEST PROPERLY - YOU DO NOT DO A NULL TEST WITH PLUGS, AND BY SENDING AUDIO TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD AND THEN BACK IN, USING DESKS AND CONVERTERS AND EXTERNAL HW
Great. I am a mixdown engineer, not a null-ing scientist. All which is evident is that a session in Cubase 7 sound better under 100% the same circumstances as the session in 8. I expected feedback like "wrong, can't be true, can't hear it, sure new is better". Your claim that the difference would be small is definately not real life. Amonst mastering engineers (at least the ones i know) its is a known fact, that e.g. Logic has a terrible sound. A couple of years ago I have been doing comparisions of all major DAW (in the way you described, no plugs, faders at the exact same level etc) and there was a big difference. We examined Protools (HD and LE at the time), Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer etc, then did blind auditions of the files with many different people. So I am not doing this for the first time. I just upgraded to Cubase 8 and instantliy heard, that something has changed for the worse. Then i compared the files, sent them off to a mastering studio (to double check), all with the same result. It is a real life scenario. 100% the same session in 7 and 8. What makes the sound difference is to be analysed by the programmers. I need to mix here on a professional level and the decline in sound I experienced here is not an option. And if someone chan't here is on the files i posted: maybe get a better sound card?

one little remark: up to recently Steinberg advertised Cubase with the quality sound of its audio engine. now i can read nothing on this anymore. its just increased performance. maybe i can mell a rat: more plugs and instruments, less sound?[/quote]

I don't doubt any of this, but the question is: is it system specific or the interaction between drivers and the ASIO subsystem, I'm inclined to think the latter.

sonicstate

Post by sonicstate » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:49 pm

I have heard before of people hearing things that others are unable to hear. I'd say it is more a curse than a blessing. Most people are lucky to not be able to hear certain things.
Cubase Pro 8.5, Win 64bit, i7-4770K @4.3GHz, ASUS Z87-K, 16Gb, RME HDSP 9652, BCF 2000, BCR 2000, Novation Launchpad Mini, M-Audio TriggerFinger, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32, Korg NanoKey, plenty outboard synths and fx, 24ch Studiomaster mixer, Yamaha NS10s, Dynaudio BM5, Samson Rubicon R8a Ribbon, etc...

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:00 pm

sonicstate wrote:I have heard before of people hearing things that others are unable to hear
So have I, but usually it goes away after their medication has been adjusted.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.20 • WaveLab 10.0.30 • SpectraLayers 6.0.30 • HALion 6.4.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:10 pm

pwmspeed wrote:I have just loaded a Cubase 7 project straight into 8. I made quick 32 bit float bounces in 7 and 8. Sorry, but on first sight the new audio engine does not sound as good a the old one. Any other opinions?
Yeah.. Cubase VST32 sounded worse than SX, but then V2 sounded worse, thank goodness for V4 - but oh no 5 just didn't cut it.... and then along came 6 - the best sounding Cubase ever. V8 definitely needs work.., I think those 23.5Khz to 26.74Khz Blackmann calculations are messed up... :roll:
The objective of good design, whether products or services, is to …satisfy customers by meeting their actual or anticipated needs and expectations.

Timo

Post by Timo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Just a note: You all remember that the Channel EQ has changed completely with version 7? Means a mix from Cubase 6.5 or smaller will under NO circumstances null with a mix done with Cubase 7.0 or higher, as long as you use the Channel EQ. Up to now, I have NOT heard anything similar regarding the Channel EQ from v7.x to 8.0.
Tanzmusik und Hochzeitsband: The Rainbows - Music & Fun

BriHar

Post by BriHar » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:27 pm

In a recent Musotalk vIdeo with Holger Steinbrink (whom many may know is one of the actual Beta testers and prime Cubase tutorial authors), at about 2 minutes in he dispells the idea that the audio engine has been totally revamped and describes that in fact the audio engine has simply been improved upon in regards to Asio guard in order to improve processor performance by the real-time monitoring and handling of time critical and nocritcal processing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdXU_oTvhBQ (unfortunately only in german).
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 10.5 - 64bit | Cubase AI 10.5 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

Woodcrest Studio

Post by Woodcrest Studio » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:25 am

MrSoundman wrote:
sonicstate wrote:I have heard before of people hearing things that others are unable to hear
So have I, but usually it goes away after their medication has been adjusted.
Or wears off! :lol:

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:19 am

MrSoundman wrote:So have I, but usually it goes away after their medication has been adjusted.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Jalcide

Post by Jalcide » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:00 am

:lol: This thread ... Every year.

If DAWs are accurate enough for scientific signal analysis, and they are, they're accurate enough for our distortion pedals, noisy pickups and edm soundpacks. :lol:

Unless a project is nothing but rendered audio with pretty basic plugins, no two mixdowns will render precisely in the same version of Cubase.

Our modern, analog modeled plugins are rendering things like "loose resisters" these days (Softube reference).

All that said, I had an initial impression that Cubase 8 sounded better with my Cubase 7.5 project. This is of course not the case, but our minds fool us like this.
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

4 DAW Network:

Main: Studio One V3 (Cubase Pro 9.0.1 on ice until future update solves some issues), Win 7 64-bit, i7-4790K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX, 16GB, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe (UGT-FW200), CMC Controllers (2 FDs, PD, QC, CH, AI, TP), 2 NI Kontrol F1 Controllers, Roland JD-Xi, rtpMIDI, Bome MIDI Translator Pro

Node 1 - VSTi Hosting via VEP: VEP 6 (& Sonar Platinum), Win 7, i7-4770K @ 4.0Ghz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, NI Kore 1 Controller, rtpMIDI

Node 2 - 16 Channel Stem Summing via VEP: VEP 6, Win 10, i5-4690K 3.9Ghz, Gigabyte Z97MX, 16GB, Intel HD 4600 Gfx, rtpMIDI

Node 3 - 2 Channel Mastering Chain via ADAT Optical: Reaper, Win 7, i5-4670K @ 4.1GHz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Nvidia GeForce 210, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, rtpMIDI

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Will we see a panboy / fanboy standoff before the year's out?

Something might sound better or worse but Cubase cannot be blamed. I doubt more than a handful of any DAW users in the world could tell any difference at all and be sure it's not their own ears being fooled by their lovely new product or even their "wasted" money when the latest doesn't turn out to be that exciting after all.
Human nature.
If I close my eyes it sounds better without the sight. It looks the same to my ears. :mrgreen:
i7 3.20gHz; 16gig ram; Win 8.1; Asus z87-k mother.

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:35 pm

pwmspeed wrote:Well I have been working on a pro/mastering level for a long time - almost 15 years. Of course people will keep on believing that whatever industry does, it is always better. It makes me wonder why some people throw out "subjective", "cant the true", "8 sounds better" when 4 professionals (the chief mastering engineer mastered more than 75.000 tracks) independently come to a conclusion that there is a evident and pretty big decline in sound on cubase 8 pro. Guess what: I whished this was NOT true. I have opted for Cubase because it sounded great (up to 7.5.xx) Its the software I want to continue using. My aim is to make Cubase better, not worse. If some here are happy with less sound, fine. I am not.
Here are the soundfiles: 24 bit (recorded via Lavry A/D, no processing, no dithering)
Cubase 7 is at: http://markbihler.kliklak.net/cubase7.aiff
Cubase 8 is at: http://markbihler.kliklak.net/cubase8.aiff
( btw. just saw you worked on forss, that's one of my favourite artists! not released anything afterwards i'm guessing..?)
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:13 am

BriHar wrote:In a recent Musotalk vIdeo with Holger Steinbrink (whom many may know is one of the actual Beta testers and prime Cubase tutorial authors)
He also makes lot of presets for VSTi, both Steinberg and Waldorf. The tutorials are really good if you understand German then that's where I would look first.
I haven't seen any official claim that the audio engine should be altered in any way other than you described (ASIO Guard 2).
I guess it's just some wishful thinking from some of the less informed users :-D
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

ChrisDuncan

Re: Cubase 7 sounds better than 8 here

Post by ChrisDuncan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:25 am

peakae wrote:Does it NULL ?
Well someone had to ask ;-)
Okay, there are so many snarky comments here I'm not sure if this is serious or not, but I've never been afraid to use the phrase "I don't know," so what the heck.

If this is an actual suggestion to the OP, could you explain what you mean?

Of course, if it's just another humorous reply, feel free to poke me with a stick for being so naïve. Actually, that might apply in either case. :)
Control Room: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | Yamaha TF5 | Mackie MCU| CMC AI
Edit Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | UR 22 | CMC TP-QC-AI-CH
Keyboard Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 16 gigs memory | UR 22| CMC TP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:45 am

pwmspeed wrote:Ok, feedback from one europes leading mastering studios chief mastering engineer. His quote: "The Cubase 8 mix lacks definition and body".
This a PM to you personally? Googling the quote just leads back here. One of Europe's finest MEs won't mind the advertising if he's named I'm sure.
The rest of Europe's mastering engineers don't seem to have noticed.
That's not to say most of them might have cloth ears. You could be right. I am hearing music that sounds really naff recently. Don't know what DAW but, to my ears, really bad mixes / production.
i7 3.20gHz; 16gig ram; Win 8.1; Asus z87-k mother.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:11 am

ChrisDuncan wrote:
peakae wrote:Does it NULL ?
Well someone had to ask ;-)
Okay, there are so many snarky comments here I'm not sure if this is serious or not, but I've never been afraid to use the phrase "I don't know," so what the heck.
Cubase 7 does not sound better or worse than Cubase 8, they Sound the same. Why? Because they null.
But its a little more complicated than that. External hardware, faulty plugins, changes in the setup of the Cubase versions, like monitoring and and and. Doing a null test using plugins and/or external hardware can make it impossible to null even when rendered on the same version of Cubase.
I think it's a good idea to do a null test, just to make sure that every thing is as it should be. If not then it is time to eliminate the possible reasons.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:45 pm

peakae wrote:I think it's a good idea to do a null test
That was actually my question. What do you mean by a null test?
Control Room: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | Yamaha TF5 | Mackie MCU| CMC AI
Edit Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 24 gigs memory | UR 22 | CMC TP-QC-AI-CH
Keyboard Station: Cubase 10.5.12 | Windows 10 64 bit | 16 gigs memory | UR 22| CMC TP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Ahh, looked on YouTube and found this old video that explains it in a nice southern way :-)
http://youtu.be/lJUYhgYh_ks

ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Oh, so you're talking about phase inverting and comparing. Gotcha.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth

sycophant

Post by sycophant » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:08 am

peakae wrote: I think it's a good idea to do a null test, just to make sure that every thing is as it should be. If not then it is time to eliminate the possible reasons.
I think you are right, but there can exist anomolies between the driver and software that alter the sound for better or worse and performing a null test in the DAW won't demonstrate the change that obviously so many people appear to be hearing.

Jarno

Post by Jarno » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:30 am

sycophant wrote:but there can exist anomolies between the driver and software that alter the sound for better or worse and performing a null test in the DAW won't demonstrate the change
What????

Interaction between software and driver is just a stream of bits. Driver should output exactly the same bits the software gave to it. If it doesn't, you should hear a lot of noise, crackle and pop. Not any mystical reduction of sound quality. Come on! This is not rocket science, just plain digital audio. If you don't understand basics of digital audio, please don't make any stupid statements.
Cubase 8 Pro/7/4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/Taylor/Ortega/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl/Olympic by Premier drumkits | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier

sycophant

Post by sycophant » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:38 am

Jarno wrote:If you don't understand basics of digital audio, please don't make any stupid statements.
I don't need any forum users' validation on what I know to be true.

"Just a stream of bits" or "it's all 1's and 0's" is what the non-programming types say when pushed into a corner.

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:01 am

Nevertheless he is right.

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:59 am

is sycophant some kind of troll?
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Jarno

Post by Jarno » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:05 am

sycophant wrote:non-programming types
OK. I have not done a lot of programming in last few years, but calling me a "non-programmer" is like calling someone making living from royalties of his old hits a "non-songwriter". :roll:
Cubase 8 Pro/7/4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/Taylor/Ortega/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl/Olympic by Premier drumkits | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”