Help Creating Outputs to AUX to Print Track

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Hi,

I'm new to Cubase Pro 8, and I'm trying to do something that I'm familiar with in Pro Tools. I attached a picture to make it easy to understand.

Basically I need to route as described.

Audio and Instrument tracks = Outputs 1 thru 16. I'm using a Matrix 2 as a 16 channel summing console.

An AUX track = Input set to 23/24 and the Output set to Bus 15/16

A Print Audio track = The Input set to Bus 15/16 and the Output set to 23/24.

I need this as a temple in CP8. I tried several ways but can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dean
Attachments
PT Setup-1.png
PT Setup
(177.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Dean Landon

Re: Help Creating Outputs to AUX to Print Track

Post by Dean Landon »

anyone?

enjneer

Post by enjneer »

Hey Dean, welcome!

Sorry no one's tried to help you. They must be busy arguing about the width of the scroll bars.

Been a long time since I've been on Pro Tools (so forgive me if I go astray.)

So you're going out to the summer on 16 analog outs, and you want the output of the summer to come back and hit those Master Plugins, then go back out to analog again, then print to your Print Audio track?

Just want to get your flow down before I go too deep.

OT: How is the Matrix 2?
http://dahlhousestudios.com
Mac Pro 2008 (3.1); 14G RAM; GeForce GT 120 512M
OSX 10.9
FireFace 800
UAD 2 Duo
Bryston 4B
Yamaha NS-10Ms
Presonus Central Station
Cubase 7; 7.5; 8 64-bit
Wavelab 7

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Hey Enjneer,

Thanks for your help. To make it easier, I have a 24 channel iZ ADA II converter.

Basically, I'm coming out of the iZ (1 thru 16) so Pro Tools Output 1-16.
Back to iZ Input 23/24 ( In PT Input 23/24 > Buss 15/16 Output (for Master Plug ins)
iZ Output 23/24 to Matrix. (PT Input Buss 15/16 > Output 23/24 (Print track)

Does this make sense to you?

The Matrix is great. I had a D-Command and I liked it for certain things, but with the Matrix, I have 16 pieces of outboard equipment connected and it makes it easy to use any of them at any given time by way of software, and the DAW section is awesome, except for the bug on CP8. I even sold the Avocet as the Monitor section sounds fantastic on the SSL.

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

@Dean,

Fab Dupont has a video on this topic on Youtube using Dangerous summing box
but the concept is exactly the same going to a Matrix2.

Check it out at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RJGGdf5gc
it should give you all you need to know.

Let me know if that helps you.
Cubase Pro 10.5, FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 10.1,Harrison Mixbus 32c, UAD Apollo x series, UR44, UR28m, SSL, Native Instruments Komplete ultimate, NI Maschine Studio, Xfer Records Serum, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, reFx Nexus3, Reveal Sound Spire, FabFilter, Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, Sonarworks, Slate Digital, Izotope, Brainworx, SPL, Waves, Cableguys, Cytomic, MeldaProductions, AOM, IK Multimedia, DDMF, Boz Digital, Antares Autotune, a bunch of other obscure stuff, TBs of samples, too much hardware to list... PC Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-5960x (8 core), Asus x99 Deluxe ii, GeForce 1070 strix, Fractal Design Silent RL2 case, Noctua NH-d15s, 64 GB DDR4 g,Skillz Trident Z 3200 RAM, 1tb Samsung 960 m.2, 3TB segate Ironwolf NAS HDD, 4TB WDRed, 2TB WD Black, Laptop: MSI Ghost pro GS60 6QE i7-6700 Skylake Win 10 64bit, Storage: 32 TB QNAP NAS Raid 50, 12 TB QNAP RAID 1

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Hey Fret, thank you for the link. I appreciate it. I'll give it a try when I get to the studio.

enjneer

Post by enjneer »

Dean Landon wrote:Hey Enjneer,

Thanks for your help. To make it easier, I have a 24 channel iZ ADA II converter.

Basically, I'm coming out of the iZ (1 thru 16) so Pro Tools Output 1-16..
These are going to the Matrix, right? Then Matrix stereo out to iZ input as you state in next line?
Back to iZ Input 23/24 ( In PT Input 23/24 > Buss 15/16 Output (for Master Plug ins)..
I'd say here, you can skip the "bus" thing, add the master plugins to 23/24 Input Track in Cubase and an audio track set to that input, and your 23/24 output. Monitor from this track so signal can pass to rest of chain.

iZ Output 23/24 to Matrix. (PT Input Buss 15/16 > Output 23/24 (Print track).
Another audio track as your print.
Does this make sense to you?.
I think so LOL. Some of the routings that I get going sometimes... I'd hate to try to describe them!

Sorry if I'm missing something. Trying to visualize all that routing on the morning drive is a bit tricky.

The real trick is in where you need to monitor from to avoid any loops. Looking at your rig, I'm assuming you've got a couple million options for monitoring points! Probably just monitor the final input to Matrix?

The Matrix is great. I had a D-Command and I liked it for certain things, but with the Matrix, I have 16 pieces of outboard equipment connected and it makes it easy to use any of them at any given time by way of software, and the DAW section is awesome, except for the bug on CP8. I even sold the Avocet as the Monitor section sounds fantastic on the SSL.
Ugh. What a rig, man! I'm officially jealous. It's taken me a long time to get a setup for ITB that, I feel, could come close to how I used to work on large format consoles. You're making me nostalgic!

Is this your home setup?!
http://dahlhousestudios.com
Mac Pro 2008 (3.1); 14G RAM; GeForce GT 120 512M
OSX 10.9
FireFace 800
UAD 2 Duo
Bryston 4B
Yamaha NS-10Ms
Presonus Central Station
Cubase 7; 7.5; 8 64-bit
Wavelab 7

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:Hey Fret, thank you for the link. I appreciate it. I'll give it a try when I get to the studio.
I also should also have asked if you already have setup the Cubase Profile (and have it working) on both your Matrix2 and in Cubase to control Cubase direct from your console?

And are you mixing with your fader automation on SSL controlled from/written to your Cubase project with Midi?

Let me know if you need more help with any of this.
Cubase Pro 10.5, FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 10.1,Harrison Mixbus 32c, UAD Apollo x series, UR44, UR28m, SSL, Native Instruments Komplete ultimate, NI Maschine Studio, Xfer Records Serum, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, reFx Nexus3, Reveal Sound Spire, FabFilter, Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, Sonarworks, Slate Digital, Izotope, Brainworx, SPL, Waves, Cableguys, Cytomic, MeldaProductions, AOM, IK Multimedia, DDMF, Boz Digital, Antares Autotune, a bunch of other obscure stuff, TBs of samples, too much hardware to list... PC Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-5960x (8 core), Asus x99 Deluxe ii, GeForce 1070 strix, Fractal Design Silent RL2 case, Noctua NH-d15s, 64 GB DDR4 g,Skillz Trident Z 3200 RAM, 1tb Samsung 960 m.2, 3TB segate Ironwolf NAS HDD, 4TB WDRed, 2TB WD Black, Laptop: MSI Ghost pro GS60 6QE i7-6700 Skylake Win 10 64bit, Storage: 32 TB QNAP NAS Raid 50, 12 TB QNAP RAID 1

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

fretthefret wrote:@Dean,

Fab Dupont has a video on this topic on Youtube using Dangerous summing box
but the concept is exactly the same going to a Matrix2.

Check it out at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RJGGdf5gc
it should give you all you need to know.

Let me know if that helps you.

The video helped quite a bit...thanks. You wouldn't have a video on how to get the Matrix to work with Cubase, would you? :-)

I've got Pro Tools working, but for some reason Cubase doesn't.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

enjneer wrote:
Dean Landon wrote:Hey Enjneer,

Basically, I'm coming out of the iZ (1 thru 16) so Pro Tools Output 1-16..
These are going to the Matrix, right? Then Matrix stereo out to iZ input as you state in next line?
Back to iZ Input 23/24 ( In PT Input 23/24 > Buss 15/16 Output (for Master Plug ins)..
I'd say here, you can skip the "bus" thing, add the master plugins to 23/24 Input Track in Cubase and an audio track set to that input, and your 23/24 output. Monitor from this track so signal can pass to rest of chain.

iZ Output 23/24 to Matrix. (PT Input Buss 15/16 > Output 23/24 (Print track).
Another audio track as your print.
Does this make sense to you?.
I think so LOL. Some of the routings that I get going sometimes... I'd hate to try to describe them!

Sorry if I'm missing something. Trying to visualize all that routing on the morning drive is a bit tricky.

The real trick is in where you need to monitor from to avoid any loops. Looking at your rig, I'm assuming you've got a couple million options for monitoring points! Probably just monitor the final input to Matrix?

Ugh. What a rig, man! I'm officially jealous. It's taken me a long time to get a setup for ITB that, I feel, could come close to how I used to work on large format consoles. You're making me nostalgic!

Is this your home setup?!
Yes, this is my home studio. I rather work at home than deal with LA traffic. :)
Some people say that analog is fading out. They're completely wrong. I really like the analog sound within' a mix. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

fretthefret wrote:
Dean Landon wrote:Hey Fret, thank you for the link. I appreciate it. I'll give it a try when I get to the studio.
I also should also have asked if you already have setup the Cubase Profile (and have it working) on both your Matrix2 and in Cubase to control Cubase direct from your console?

And are you mixing with your fader automation on SSL controlled from/written to your Cubase project with Midi?

Fret, do you know how to set up Cubase with the Matrix? I haven't set up the Cubase Profile. I tried buy can't get it going. Strange. Any help would be great.

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:
fretthefret wrote:

Fret, do you know how to set up Cubase with the Matrix? I haven't set up the Cubase Profile. I tried buy can't get it going. Strange. Any help would be great.
I Do!
Give me some details on your setup and what you "want" to do.
Basic transport control functions and automation
Are you doing midi control over ethernet or USB to your host? (if not do you want to?)
etc..etc..
So many options... so just tell me WHAT you want to achieve and I'll give you the best detail I can on how to do it.

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Thanks, I appreciate that.

At the moment, I'm doing basic transport control functions and automation. I'm not doing midi over the ethernet or USB. What would benefit that?

I guess basic transport control functions and automation would be a good start. Hey thanks again.

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

@Dean

When you replied earlier that you've got PT working but cubase not...
What do you consider "working" to mean from the PT perspective?
What are you able to do in PT that you can not in Cubase?
We can start there!

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

The HUI was pretty easy to set up in PT. See attachment Pic.

I can't seem to get the SSL up and running with CP8. What do I have to do to make get the HUI working in CP8? I guess that's a good place to start.

Thanks!
Attachments
HUI setup in PT.png
(31.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:The HUI was pretty easy to set up in PT. See attachment Pic.

I can't seem to get the SSL up and running with CP8. What do I have to do to make get the HUI working in CP8? I guess that's a good place to start.

Thanks!
I take it you are using Mac not PC version of Cpro8?
And you've got the latest MATRIX Remote software version up and running?
(as far as I am aware) Cpro8 won't use HUI but it uses MCU instead.
You'll have to configure your DAW layers to the Cubase profiles on the SSL (which are listed as Nuendo Profiles)

Correct me if we're on the wrong host platform!

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

I'm using a Mac Pro and I have the latest version of Matrix Remote up and running. How do I make it work via MCU? I have PT in Layer 1 and CP8 in Layer 2. Under Profile in the Matrix Remote, I chose Cubase/Nuendo Standard. That's the only Sternberg option available. Where do I go from here? Thx.

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

In Cpro8 Devices menu > Device Setup
do you have "Mackie Control" listed under devices?

If not click "+" and add Mackie Control
Select Mackie Control and in MIDI Input and Output select your ipMIDI port which if Cpro8 is layer 2 will be
ipMIDI *** 4 ***
then we have to do this again for the second one
click "+" and add ANOTHER Mackie Control
Select Mackie Control 2 and in MIDI Input and Output select your ipMIDI port which if Cpro8 is layer 2 will be
ipMIDI *** 3 ***

Yes they are reversed.

As far as I remember the DAW Layer 1 uses ipMIDI 1&2 (which you've set to be your PT)
and the DAW Layer 2 uses ipMIDI 3&4 (which is your Cubase)

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Thanks for the info, Fret. As I received your post I had followed some information on the SSL site. So far, the Matrix is talking to Cubase and visa versa.

I attached the Midi Port Setup Pic. Does everything look good in that department?

Although, one thing I noticed. The Midi Out Activity gauge is moving up and down rapidly and doesn't stop. I noticed that if I Mute the Print Track, the Midi Out Activity motion stops. Ever see this before?

Also, does Cubase have "Read dB Readout" on the Matrix like PT does? There's a check box in the Matrix Remote for this feature when running PT, but I can't see it for Cubase. Would you know?

Thanks again, Fret. I appreciate the quick tips.
Attachments
Midi Port Setup.png
(188.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Happy to read you've got it working Dean!
Glad I could help!
Would LOVE to hear this rig in action ---> VERY Envious! :)

You should be able to deselect the other ipMIDI ports not used by Cubase from IN ALL MIDI
And I'd appreciate if you could post the link to where I can refresh my memory on the SSL setups!

As for the MIDI in out meter ... is it MAXing ?
I think that's just the constant midi messages to/from MATRIX2 over the ipMIDI.
Maybe the deselect the other ipMIDI ports not used by Cubase from IN ALL MIDI will affect this?

Let me know!

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

Yeah I'm psyched :-)

Regarding ipMIDI, if I'm using 1-2 for PT and 3-4 for Cubase, I should deselect 5 to 9?

The Midi Out meter isn't Maxing, it's bouncing. I just don't understand that when I mute the Print track in Cubase, the bouncing subsides.

I noticed that the large Transport buttons on the Matrix aren't working. Should I be checking a box somewhere?

Thanks again!

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:Yeah I'm psyched :-)

Regarding ipMIDI, if I'm using 1-2 for PT and 3-4 for Cubase, I should deselect 5 to 9?

The Midi Out meter isn't Maxing, it's bouncing. I just don't understand that when I mute the Print track in Cubase, the bouncing subsides.

I noticed that the large Transport buttons on the Matrix aren't working. Should I be checking a box somewhere?

Thanks again!
You can deselect 1&2,5-9 you won't use those in Cubase.
And I'm a little stumped right now as to why muting the Print Track would stop the MIDI out meter?!
SSL Transport is sent over USB (as USB keyboard commands) not MIDI, do you have the USB cable patched between Mac and the MATRIX2?

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

If I'm using ipMIDI 1-2, shouldn't I leave those on for PT? Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't have midi going to the SSL. It's the strangest thing.

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

Dean Landon wrote:If I'm using ipMIDI 1-2, shouldn't I leave those on for PT? Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't have midi going to the SSL. It's the strangest thing.
You only disable them in the Cpro8 Device Setup which is for Cubase only.

No MIdi to SSL? So is it working or not working? Am I misreading something?

Dean Landon

Post by Dean Landon »

oh that's right. It would only affect CP8.

The SSL works via an Ethernet cable. No midi connections.

Return to “General”