Mix's Sound Like Mud In C6

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
mbourque

Re: Mix's Sound Like Mud In C6

Post by mbourque »

hikarateboy wrote:That confuses me as I run 64 bit Cubase and still use my old 32 plugs as well so confused me and wondering what that meant.
If your host (Cubase) run in 64bit, all the plugs have to run 64bit too. In the case of your native 32bit plug-ins, VST bridge (included with Cubase) will adapt those plugs to run in 64bit. The translation is transparent until you have bug with some plug-ins. Good for you if you've never had any problem !

Hope that is clear ;)
Matthieu Bourque
Cubase 10.5.0 Live Suite 9.7, Pro Tools HD 12.8.2
Mac OSX 10.12
Custom build
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU: Intel i7 6700K
RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32 Gb
Ik Multimedia Axe I/O

http://kaikuaudio.com
http://audiojungle.net/user/Kaiku/portfolio?ref=Kaiku

project71beats

Post by project71beats »

what kind of cd are you using to burn? Maybe its a bad brand. Also if you play the cd using windows media player it will sound like crap cuz it is crap. Try another player.
Cubase 5.5.3 64bit
Windows 7 Premium 64bit
Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33/2336 Mhz
6 GB ram
Korg Triton Extreme
Yamaha Motif XS6
Korg Pad Control
Yamaha HS80m monitors
TC Electronics Konnekt 8

matjones

Post by matjones »

Split wrote:Mix's Sound Like Mud In C6

Thats funny, mine always sound like showaddywaddy...

I always have that problem too!
ROFL :lol:
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

If you play the exported file with windows media play make sure the preferences is checked "24 bit cd" Or just use VLC player. This of course if the exported files is Wave 24 bit. MP3 is desame.

k8stribe

Post by k8stribe »

hikarateboy wrote:I can't wait to find out what the problem was as well.

Sounds like a phase canceling issue and the mentions of stereo expanders, fix it at the mix buss and pyscho acoustic type plugins has me suspicious. I'll be surprised if its the operating system.

One person mentioned not going to 64 bit above because they have so many 32 bit plugins. That confuses me as I run 64 bit Cubase and still use my old 32 plugs as well so confused me and wondering what that meant.
That’s another issue. When I open C6 64x it doesn't recognize any of my 3rd party plug ins. I have mucho $$$$ in plugs and even though everything is set correctly in my plug in manager it won’t load them. The mixes do sound a bit better running in XP mode. When I first set this computer up my songs sounded amazing. Almost like comparing HD to analog. Windows and ASUS both did an overnight update (Thought I had turned off auto updates) after spending a week configuring and downloading my software and fine tuning my set up. I recorded my first project on the computer and was exited to get up and finish my mixes. I walked in my studio to see a fresh login screen like windows 7 was firing up for the first time. All of my software, my freshly recorded songs and tweaks were all gone. My restore points were gone and I didn't have a chance to do a backup or an image yet. I had to start all over from scratch and it never sounded like it did originally and was unable to recover my files.
I think I'm going to take this computer back and have them do a fresh install and start over. I have backed up all of my programs and songs. Since the computer was built by Asus the have the license to the Windows program on the computer so Microsoft won’t help, they send you to Asus support which is the worst support I have ever dealt with. They are complete morons. My CPU meter is now going in the red on simple projects. I'm hoping this is a Windows problem. If not then Cubase 6 has issues.

I've had a few mixes that were close, just needed a touch more bottom end. I crank my eq +1 @ 80hz and re-export and everything changes and it's hard to get back to where I had it. Changing the eq back doesn't do it; I have to start all over. I'm stuck on this. My projects in SX3 running in compatibility mode sound much better and use far less CPU with double the number of tracks and plugins.

Should I do a fresh Windows 7 install and try to start from scratch?

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

matjones wrote:

Naw, here it sounds Sweet! 8-)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 11 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 7
Win10 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 | Nektar Panorama P6 | Akai MPD218 |

matjones

Post by matjones »

HowlingUlf wrote:
matjones wrote:

Naw, here it sounds Sweet! 8-)

DREADFUL! he he he ;)
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

hopselectroniks

Post by hopselectroniks »

are you using realtime or quick export ?

i noticed in 5.5 that if you use quick export i would get bad digital artifacts and pahse cancellation and all sorts of nasties ... try selecting realtime export it takes for ages but i got good quality exports
Macbook pro (os 10.11) cubase 8.5, AL 9.5 , TCE k48 , Waldorf Blofeld, Korg microkontrol, Emu e6400 , DSI Mopho,

k8stribe

Post by k8stribe »

I started listening to some mixes I did in SX3 on this same computer and the kick in some of these mixdowns feels
like it's going to break your windows it's so punchy. Haven't been able to come close to duplicating this in C6. I don't get it, I'm using the same mic (Audix D6) and same plug ins, same eq settings. I can't figure what the #^&%ing
problem is. I thougt it would be easier to get good mixes in the newer version.

Mike001

Post by Mike001 »

A lot of people on Gearslutz say the vst bridge in Cubase6 does'nt work for 32bit vst's working on a 64bit OS machine causeing problems & crashes.

Maybe you should not use any 32bit vst's for an experiment.
Never forget your ? . Cubase 9, Scan 3xs Windows7 i7 64bit 16Gig ram,Focusrite 18i6,Mackie HR824 Mk1,Komplete11,Korg Legacy Analog & Digital,Halion6,Sylenth1,Ace,Z3TA,Stutter Edit,Groove Agent4,Arturia V Collection
Yamaha Dx7 Mk1,Ensoniq Asr10,Juno106,Basstation,Super Basstation,Mikro Korg,Yamaha O1v Mk1,Shure SM58,etc,etc

lights

Post by lights »

This is the most crazy voodoo magic thread I've ever read.

There is no way that running Cubase in xp compat mode would make the same mix sound a little better. The same project on different PC configa (even with different OSes) will sound exactly the same on mixdown as long as you have all the needed plugs installed.

The idea that's windows update would at all affect a mixdown sounds straight up crazy to me. Windows' audio path isn't even used as Cubase uses ASIO.

I am baffled. And there is so much random information here that I don't know what to make of. Like do you have a project that was perfect before that opens up and sounds bad? It sounds good with SX3 on the same system? is it just your new projects that sound bad? What does burning a CD ha e to do with this? Can you just mix to a WAV?

I feel for you, man. I just have no idea what to make of this.
-darren
music: www.lightsfadelow.com
follow lights fade low on facebook

i7 980x 18GB RAM; ProFire2626; Win7; everything x64

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

k8stribe wrote:Should I do a fresh Windows 7 install and try to start from scratch?
Think like this:
Nobody (so far) has heard of this kind of problem.
"S o m e t h i n g" has happened inside you computer.
Since the rest of the computer apart from C6 behaves predictable, it's not a hardware issue(?)
You might be able to find what's wrong after X hours of research ...
... or you might need to reinstall Win7.

What if you think you find a way that makes the symptoms go away and then they return at the absolutely worst time imaginable :o

If a reinstall of OS/C6 don't help you know it's a hardware issue. :?

You might as well grab the bull by the horns and reinstall Win7 and Cubase and have a fresh install directly? 8-)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 11 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 7

DaveDaveDave

Post by DaveDaveDave »

This is driving me mad too - mostly because there's no method to the madness. k8stribe - I suggested earlier that you eliminate the whole CD burning process. If the exported wav played in WMP or itunes sounds the same as what you hear in Cubase, it's not Cubase. It shouldn't matter what you're monitoring with.
Cubase 6.0.3, Wavelab 7, Halion 3.5, Halion Sonic, Groove Agent 3
MC Control/Mix iMac RME UFX

OnkelGrusom

Post by OnkelGrusom »

Hehe, haven't you gotten it yet?
This guys is very likely a troll.

Check his posts in this thread, he is incoherent, and does not answer questions and helpful advice.

I think we have a new Mark Hodge here only now he is not singing but having pc problems instead.

Onkel 8-)
-------- Cubase 8 and earlier, Halion Sonic 2, Hyper Sonic 2, Superior & EZ Drummer, Tonelab, Tube-Tech LCA 2B, Neumann U67 and ADK Hamburg, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Core I7 4790K, 16 gig DDR3 ram --------
Feel free to check out my music on:
http://urort.p3.no/#!/Search/chapter%2520eight?List

lights

Post by lights »

A troll with a license to C6? No just someone who is very confused.
-darren

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

OnkelGrusom wrote:Hehe, haven't you gotten it yet?
This guys is very likely a troll.

Check his posts in this thread, he is incoherent, and does not answer questions and helpful advice.

I think we have a new Mark Hodge here only now he is not singing but having pc problems instead.

Onkel 8-)
I had a little internal voting in my mind and decided to give him the benefit of a doubt ...

:?
Gothenburg, Sweden

OnkelGrusom

Post by OnkelGrusom »

Do not do that Ulf.
People are EVIL

Some just love to frog you around

Kim
Last edited by OnkelGrusom on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------- Cubase 8 and earlier, Halion Sonic 2, Hyper Sonic 2, Superior & EZ Drummer, Tonelab, Tube-Tech LCA 2B, Neumann U67 and ADK Hamburg, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Core I7 4790K, 16 gig DDR3 ram --------

OnkelGrusom

Post by OnkelGrusom »

lights wrote:A troll with a license to C6? No just someone who is very confused.
To have money for an relatively expensive license does not mean that you know what you are talking about.

Seriously :ugeek:

lights

Post by lights »

I just said e wasn't a troll, didn't say he knew what he was doin' ;)
-darren

Raphie

Post by Raphie »

seems like a frustration of Musical Mode popping on and of at will in existing projects and overdose of plugins on the master.
watch the orange musical mode leds per track and their assigned tempo in the audiopool
remove EVERYTHING from your master and make sure your soundcard inputs are not feeding back into your, or you don't have an earlier export somewhere hidden deep away in a foldertrack playing along nicely, phasing away and driving your levels nuts, you wouldn't be the first one who imported a mixdown export by accident. :mrgreen:
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

donnietmp

Post by donnietmp »

Hey ralphie, the problem is happening because of Windows 7 audio connection.....Had that "phase" and muddy washout" happen recently to our system here with the Layla 8 in and outs also......If you go into windows "sound" or audio panel setup, for some strange reason, it may be set at "surround sound". Unclick this, and all of your stereo outs on your soundcard should pop up. Select your main outs, beit 1&2 stereo pair, etc..This will clear that problem up....

Raphie

Post by Raphie »

I am not having issues, just was replying to TS :)
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim »

I've missed k8sribe's odd postings the last couple days......hope he/she hasn't got bored with the game already.

Isn't "A licence to C6" a Bond movie? :shock:
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

ExcelsiorWonderHorse

Post by ExcelsiorWonderHorse »

You say you are missing some instruments? Perhaps you have multiple outputs and they aren't all being included in the mixdown? The left panel on the mixdown dialogue.

For the problems you are having with plugins you could try jbridge. Perhaps that's been mentioned though..

OnkelGrusom

Post by OnkelGrusom »

A bit OT but:
Cubase must be one of the easiest products ever to get good sound from if you know at least a little about what you are trying to achieve
This goes from cubase vst 3.6 (back in 1999 I think) to the latest C6

Kim, happy as a pig in a dirt hole about what Cubase does for me ;)

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”