Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
TheNavigator
Member
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by TheNavigator »

I always find it hilarious when people start defending something that is actually bad for them. :lol:

User avatar
jaslan
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3429
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by jaslan »

TheNavigator wrote:I always find it hilarious when people start defending something that is actually bad for them. :lol:
Yes. Sometimes they just aren't able to see beyond their immediate surroundings. Hopefully, they will come around soon.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 6459
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by thinkingcap »

TheNavigator wrote:I always find it hilarious when people start defending something that is actually bad for them. :lol:
I find it presumtuous, when people start deciding, what is good or bad for others...
Last edited by thinkingcap on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

TheNavigator
Member
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by TheNavigator »

thinkingcap wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:I always find it hilarious when people start defending something that is actually bad for them. :lol:
I find it presumtuous, if people think they can know what is good or bad for others...
Logic. Pure logic. :ugeek:

Plasuma
Junior Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by Plasuma »

jaslan wrote:How can you claim the car key comparison to be invalid and then add increasingly more ridiculous details and descriptions to the comparison to support your argument?
No more comparisons, no more exaggerations.
Here it is, plain and simple...

Steinberg has the right to protect their product from theft, as you agreed to in the user agreement. If you don't like it, you are free to use another product.

You made the decision to buy. Nobody made you do it. If you are unhappy with your purchase, you have only yourself to blame.

J.L.
That is until laws dictate that they have to give me the right to control what I purchased, and they break those laws. There's a lot of pussyfooting going on around the new European software license laws, and it's going to be no different when they hit other parts of the world. Software developers who are comfortable with license control, and suddenly have that control taken from them and given back to users, will find enemies in their users.

There are some reasonable agreements, and there are some unreasonable ones. EULAs are 90% of the time filled with unreasonable terms that nobody bothers to read, and because of that, they don't stand up in court.
Last edited by Plasuma on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

TheNavigator
Member
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by TheNavigator »

I'm not against anti - piracy - measures, I'm just against anti - comfortable use - measures and buy two dongles instead of one, thereby wasting money - measures.

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 6459
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by thinkingcap »

TheNavigator wrote:I'm not against anti - piracy - measures, I'm just against anti - comfortable use - measures and buy two dongles instead of one, thereby wasting money - measures.
What is your point anyway with that "you have to buy two dongles" - you don´t have to buy two dongles to run several installations of the software.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

TheNavigator
Member
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by TheNavigator »

thinkingcap wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:I'm not against anti - piracy - measures, I'm just against anti - comfortable use - measures and buy two dongles instead of one, thereby wasting money - measures.
What is your point anyway with that "you have to buy two dongles" - you don´t have to buy two dongles.
What if one dies? I have here a Mackie Big Knob which dies, a Line 6 Pod XT which died and an Akai MPD 32 which died.

And dongles are not actually sold at grocery stores...

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 6459
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by thinkingcap »

TheNavigator wrote:What if one dies? I have here a Mackie Big Knob which dies, a Line 6 Pod XT which died and an Akai MPD 32 which died.
What if it doesn´t die..?. Mine hasn´t died in 10 years and yes, I do have it on the road. Though surely it will one day, like everything else...
And what if your Laptop dies, and your max. number of installations is reached..? You need a new laptop and new software license.
Everything has its pros and cons - if you can´t live with the cons get something else...
TheNavigator wrote:And dongles are not actually sold at grocery stores...
Obviously not, and what´s the point with that...? Microphones also aren´t sold at grocery stores, but those who need one know where to get one...
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

User avatar
jaslan
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3429
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by jaslan »

Plasuma wrote:That is until laws dictate that they have to give me the right to control what I purchased, and they break those laws. There's a lot of pussyfooting going on around the new European software license laws, and it's going to be no different when they hit other parts of the world. Software developers who are comfortable with license control, and suddenly have that control taken from them and given back to users, will find enemies in their users.
And guess what will happen then.... Higher prices for paying customers to cover the cost of sales lost to theft.

They're not blind. It's just that they won't see. -Ozzy Osbourne.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Plasuma
Junior Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by Plasuma »

jaslan wrote:
Plasuma wrote:That is until laws dictate that they have to give me the right to control what I purchased, and they break those laws. There's a lot of pussyfooting going on around the new European software license laws, and it's going to be no different when they hit other parts of the world. Software developers who are comfortable with license control, and suddenly have that control taken from them and given back to users, will find enemies in their users.
And guess what will happen then.... Higher prices for paying customers to cover the cost of sales lost to theft.

They're not blind. It's just that they won't see. -Ozzy Osbourne.
You use the word 'theft' like it applies to copyrighted works. It does not.

The term you're looking for is 'copyright infringement'.

The company doesn't lose anything that they can count if someone uses invalid copyrighted works - it's the fault of the uploader for breaking the copyright agreement, not the downloader. That's why they have to employ DRM schemes themselves that put pressure on users. Needless to say, it is not a healthy business practice to make your customers responsible for your success against their will.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

TheNavigator
Member
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by TheNavigator »

Plasuma wrote:
jaslan wrote:
Plasuma wrote:That is until laws dictate that they have to give me the right to control what I purchased, and they break those laws. There's a lot of pussyfooting going on around the new European software license laws, and it's going to be no different when they hit other parts of the world. Software developers who are comfortable with license control, and suddenly have that control taken from them and given back to users, will find enemies in their users.
And guess what will happen then.... Higher prices for paying customers to cover the cost of sales lost to theft.

They're not blind. It's just that they won't see. -Ozzy Osbourne.
You use the word 'theft' like it applies to copyrighted works. It does not.

The term you're looking for is 'copyright infringement'.

The company doesn't lose anything that they can count if someone uses invalid copyrighted works - it's the fault of the uploader for breaking the copyright agreement, not the downloader. That's why they have to employ DRM schemes themselves that put pressure on users. Needless to say, it is not a healthy business practice to make your customers responsible for your success against their will.
Well, I disagree here, too.

I'm not pro - piracy, but I'm pro - "ease of use" and pro - flexibility.

Plasuma
Junior Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by Plasuma »

TheNavigator wrote:I'm not pro - piracy, but I'm pro - "ease of use" and pro - flexibility.
As part of a software development company myself, I'm not pro-piracy, either. Piracy plain sucks.

But there are better ways to deal with it and add value to the software that users are more willing to pay for. Dongles obviously don't add value for users. Look at Google trends for search terms of "Cubase" vs any other DAW. From about 2007 until now you'll see a steadily declining frequency of searches for Cubase, and more for other DAWs that don't employ the use of dongles or other forms of draconian DRM.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the software. I have been suggesting Cubase to new musicians and my peers regularly because I enjoy using it, but then the topic of dongles and demos that require dongles to use comes up and they look for alternatives that they can try before they buy. Showing it off just doesn't work - they want to use it, and have no trouble attempting to do so, but that isn't guaranteed with this kind of DRM.

Users just don't like being forced to handle the responsibility of protecting a company's intellectual property, especially when they don't get any compensation for it. Useful and helpful services are one way to make it 'worth it', but there are a lot of complaints about tech support for Cubase, and there's nothing beyond that to make the responsibility worthwhile, so in addition to the usual moaning around here about bugs and glitches, there are also complaints like mine and OP's: dongles suck.

Do those complaints matter to Steinberg? Should they matter?
Maybe. Google Trends suggests it might be worthwhile to analyze the market again, just to make sure things are on target.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

User avatar
jaslan
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3429
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by jaslan »

Plasuma wrote:The company doesn't lose anything that they can count if someone uses invalid copyrighted works
I think they do. They lose a potential sale or royalty.
I mean "theft" generically, of course. There are multiple specific forms of "theft" in legal terms such as, embezzlement, larceny, shoplifting, petty theft, and copyright infringement, each with their own specific legal definitions. But they are all theft.
Plasuma wrote: But there are better ways to deal with it and add value to the software that users are more willing to pay for. Dongles obviously don't add value for users. Look at Google trends for search terms of "Cubase" vs any other DAW. From about 2007 until now you'll see a steadily declining frequency of searches for Cubase, and more for other DAWs that don't employ the use of dongles or other forms of draconian DRM.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the software. I have been suggesting Cubase to new musicians and my peers regularly because I enjoy using it, but then the topic of dongles and demos that require dongles to use comes up and they look for alternatives that they can try before they buy. Showing it off just doesn't work - they want to use it, and have no trouble attempting to do so, but that isn't guaranteed with this kind of DRM.

Users just don't like being forced to handle the responsibility of protecting a company's intellectual property, especially when they don't get any compensation for it. Useful and helpful services are one way to make it 'worth it', but there are a lot of complaints about tech support for Cubase, and there's nothing beyond that to make the responsibility worthwhile, so in addition to the usual moaning around here about bugs and glitches, there are also complaints like mine and OP's: dongles suck.

Do those complaints matter to Steinberg? Should they matter?
Maybe. Google Trends suggests it might be worthwhile to analyze the market again, just to make sure things are on target.
Steinberg is probably more concerned about sales figures than Google searches, Facebook "likes", or "tweets" but, if you are right, then sales will fall and they will have to modify their business model. Maybe they axe the dongle or maybe they just lower the price but that is for them to decide, not us. The only decision we have to make is whether or not to give up our hard earned money for their product, which is what we have done. We make our own decisions and have only ourselves to blame if we make the wrong one.
J.L.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Plasuma
Junior Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by Plasuma »

jaslan wrote:
Plasuma wrote:The company doesn't lose anything that they can count if someone uses invalid copyrighted works
I think they do. They lose a potential sale or royalty.
I mean "theft" generically, of course. There are multiple specific forms of "theft" in legal terms such as, embezzlement, larceny, shoplifting, petty theft, and copyright infringement, each with their own specific legal definitions. But they are all theft.
They might be, but the perpetrator and perceived / actual loss are different in each example. For copyright infringement, specifically with software, it's a user who distributed the software without permission and with intent to deprive profit.

In some cases, the distributing / copyright breaching user can't be pinned with infringement because they don't make a profit or even have intent to deprive the company of anything. They just gave it away because they had it. However, most cases that actually make it to court are with users who were making ad revenue from hosting and distributing copyrighted content - that's definitely intent to deprive profit and makes sense to end.



But then there's this term, "potential sale". Statistics, specifically projected income for non-physical goods don't mean anything if the true demand is not known, since the supply is literally infinite. Used licenses would also fall under this term, "lost potential sale", which is why companies like Steinberg don't want people reselling / trading licenses despite it being a perfectly understandable right to want to have.

It has been asked: does a software company lose a sale if somebody freely downloads a software product that would otherwise have a pricetag? Some might think so, but the smart ones look at their pricing, services, and marketing first before they (and hopefully never) start blaming users for the fact that software has been pirated.

Almost 100% of the time, users who download pirated software don't even have the money to buy it and never intended to save for it, and their downloading and using it costs the software company exactly nothing. If their use of the software somehow added to costs or could be proven a loss without a doubt, pursuing legal and preventative action would be understandable, but the distribution of the product was fulfilled (albeit illegally) by someone else and all pirate users are off the tech support grid. The pirate users technically don't exist in the user-base or target market, and calling that a 'lost sale' is just an attempt to fabricate additional charges against an infringing user (who should be charged with infringement, but nothing else).

For the most part, new software is pirated for the same reasons why used software exists. It has nothing to do with user greed and everything to do with poor product design / management / marketing. If Steinberg were truly concerned about sales, they'd know this, but frankly they just seem incompetent in this context.



Now, dongles. Really, I would be fine if my copy of Cubase was keyed to something undoubtedly mine if the means for imprinting and validating that information was free, painless, secure, unobtrusive, instant, and invisible. Sadly, a dongle is none of those things, so DRM on Steinberg's (and many other companies') end can definitely be improved in terms of user experience.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

User avatar
jaslan
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3429
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by jaslan »

Plasuma wrote:It has been asked: does a software company lose a sale if somebody freely downloads a software product that would otherwise have a pricetag? Some might think so, but the smart ones look at their pricing, services, and marketing first before they (and hopefully never) start blaming users for the fact that software has been pirated.
I remember this argument from back in the Commodore 64 days. "It's not stealing if I would have never bought it in the first place." It is very self serving and convenient for someone to claim they would never have saved for or bought software, games, movies, music, etc., after they have already stolen it and are using/playing/listening/watching it.
Plasuma wrote: For the most part, new software is pirated for the same reasons why used software exists. It has nothing to do with user greed and everything to do with poor product design / management / marketing. If Steinberg were truly concerned about sales, they'd know this, but frankly they just seem incompetent in this context.
People pirate software because they don't want to pay for it.
Steinberg is incompetent? They have your money, so where does that put you?

I never said I LIKE the dongle, but I ACCEPTED the dongle when I made my purchase. I wouldn't complain about the color of a car to the dealer after I bought it.

The debate has gone off the topic.
My final statement... I have said it already so i will just cut and paste it because it is really the point I have been trying to make all along.
Steinberg has the right to protect their product from theft, as you agreed to in the user agreement. If you don't like it, you are free to use another product.
You made the decision to buy. Nobody made you do it. If you are unhappy with your purchase, you have only yourself to blame.

That's all for me.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

User avatar
Dieselmachine
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Seriously!?

Post by Dieselmachine »

TheNavigator wrote:
Yes, the dongle annoys me. Other companies can do without (I own a lot of music software, including NI Komplete 8) - whats so special again about cubase7.exe that it can't have a working copy protection without some clunky hardware?
I'm really happy about the dongle solution and I'd wish NI would use a dongle too! Than I could use also this software everywhere (Studio, @Home, Rehearsal Room, etc.)

Cheers
Steinberg Cubase Pro (10.0.30) | Presonus Studio One Professional 4.5.2 | Workstation (i7 32GB RAM) & Microsoft Surface 4 Pro (i7 16GB RAM) both x64 w/ Windows 10 Pro (1803) | Motu 828mkII Hybrid | Komplete Kontrol S-88 | Behringer X-Touch | Arturia KeyLab 25 | Steinberg CMC Controllers | Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III Console | Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III Rack | Tascam 85-16B Tape Recorder

http://www.pumpstoss.com

-steve-
External Moderator
Posts: 9660
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by -steve- »

As regards Cubase 5 and earlier on PC, there were people who were and still are probably, using cracked versions, there's no ambiguity about whether they have rights to the license or not. With Cubase 6 the CP got strong enough to stop that.

Disk based protection is not as strong as the SB dongle.

Digital Performer 7 which uses disk based auth is cracked on Mac; now they have a PC version which I imagine the warez d00ds are hard at work on, so we'll see about that down the line.

Logic is cracked, Kontakt is too. Cubase is not. If I were Steinberg GMBH I would see no benefit to changing what works, and it appears that many users agree.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

User avatar
KDEF2004
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by KDEF2004 »

SteveInChicago wrote:As regards Cubase 5 and earlier on PC, there were people who were and still are probably, using cracked versions, there's no ambiguity about whether they have rights to the license or not. With Cubase 6 the CP got strong enough to stop that.

Disk based protection is not as strong as the SB dongle.

Digital Performer 7 which uses disk based auth is cracked on Mac; now they have a PC version which I imagine the warez d00ds are hard at work on, so we'll see about that down the line.

Logic is cracked, Kontakt is too. Cubase is not. If I were Steinberg GMBH I would see no benefit to changing what works, and it appears that many users agree.
+1000
On point!
Lenovo IdeaPad 330, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Beringer UMC404HD, Cubase 10.5, Wavelab 10.0.10, Specttralayers 6, Pro, Reason 11 Suite,HSO 1.5 VSTI'S & FX'S

https://www.instagram.com/djkdef/

User avatar
distante
Member
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by distante »

BTW, since I need to travel a lot, my 6 months old elicencer is already broken...
Hear and See Rock Songs maded with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7: bit.ly/CorazonTRM ("Corazón") and bit.ly/AnimalTRM ("Animal")

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase PRO 8.0.20 on Windows 8.1 64bits / 16GB RAM / Core i7 4790K / GTX970 4GB VRAM )
*Always the latest version available.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart

Guest

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by Guest »

distante wrote:BTW, since I need to travel a lot, my 6 months old elicencer is already broken...
Then you need to be more careful , that's not steingbergs fault .My old sx3 dongle has travelled every weekend but still lives and does the job its meant too . What I LOVE about the dongle is if your studio is broken into and your comp is stolen while your away non of the programs are usable because the licenses are with you . So many people love to moan and be negative but this dongle is a big positive on protection and I love it !!!!!!
SteveInChicago wrote:As regards Cubase 5 and earlier on PC, there were people who were and still are probably, using cracked versions, there's no ambiguity about whether they have rights to the license or not. With Cubase 6 the CP got strong enough to stop that.

Disk based protection is not as strong as the SB dongle.

Digital Performer 7 which uses disk based auth is cracked on Mac; now they have a PC version which I imagine the warez d00ds are hard at work on, so we'll see about that down the line.

Logic is cracked, Kontakt is too. Cubase is not. If I were Steinberg GMBH I would see no benefit to changing what works, and it appears that many users agree.
I totally agree Steve

Plasuma
Junior Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by Plasuma »

jaslan wrote:I remember this argument from back in the Commodore 64 days. "It's not stealing if I would have never bought it in the first place." It is very self serving and convenient for someone to claim they would never have saved for or bought software, games, movies, music, etc., after they have already stolen it and are using/playing/listening/watching it.
That's the problem with this line of thought, nobody knows who "pirates" are or why they're downloading software. You just immediately assume they're self-serving jack-offs and strip all humanity from them. That's fine, you can keep your arrogance to fuel your ignorance, because the truth is right in front of your face and your pride makes it invisible.

I'll say it again, it's not the downloader who is stealing, it's the uploader / copyright infringing users. It's possible to get pirate users to buy software after they've had it for free if it's worth it to them, and more companies are following that model to great success because that's how software should work. If you see it any other way, you're just keeping your dogma fed.
jaslan wrote:People pirate software because they don't want to pay for it.
Steinberg is incompetent? They have your money, so where does that put you?

I never said I LIKE the dongle, but I ACCEPTED the dongle when I made my purchase. I wouldn't complain about the color of a car to the dealer after I bought it.
I bought it because I was willing to give it a chance, provided that it wasn't an inconvenience (as Steinberg promised me when I asked them prior to buying it). The dongle has proven multiple times to stop my projects dead in their tracks, and I want it gone because I love the software. If I run into problems with it again, I will have to switch DAWs. It's going to suck because I love using Cubase, but there's no question that dongle troubles have cost me too much to keep dealing with it.
jaslan wrote: The debate has gone off the topic.
My final statement... I have said it already so i will just cut and paste it because it is really the point I have been trying to make all along.
Steinberg has the right to protect their product from theft, as you agreed to in the user agreement. If you don't like it, you are free to use another product.
You made the decision to buy. Nobody made you do it. If you are unhappy with your purchase, you have only yourself to blame.

That's all for me.
I made the decision based on all information I could find, and was initially happy. I wound up dissatisfied and now I can't sell my copy to recoup costs - if I could, I'd have Steinberg pay for all my "potential lost contracts" because of it, too. I don't expect perfection, I expect the damn thing to work when I need it to.

Besides that, we're not off-topic, and if you're going to start being a self-important douchenozzle, this discussion between us really is over.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

Plasuma
Junior Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Seriously!?

Post by Plasuma »

Dieselmachine wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:
Yes, the dongle annoys me. Other companies can do without (I own a lot of music software, including NI Komplete 8) - whats so special again about cubase7.exe that it can't have a working copy protection without some clunky hardware?
I'm really happy about the dongle solution and I'd wish NI would use a dongle too! Than I could use also this software everywhere (Studio, @Home, Rehearsal Room, etc.)

Cheers
You can install NI's service center on any computer and even use the same products on multiple machines simultaneously without needing to buy another license. It's pretty great.
Workstation Specifications
Box A: Intel 3770K, 32GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5.0, VEPro 5
Box B: Intel 4930K, 64GB RAM, Win 7 Pro x64, VEPro 5

-steve-
External Moderator
Posts: 9660
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by -steve- »

Plasuma wrote: was initially happy. I wound up dissatisfied and now I can't sell my copy to recoup costs
Why can't you sell your license?
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

User avatar
distante
Member
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by distante »

filterfreak wrote:Then you need to be more careful , that's not steingbergs fault .My old sx3 dongle has travelled every weekend but still lives and does the job its meant too .
And how can you know that I'm not? :roll:
Hear and See Rock Songs maded with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7: bit.ly/CorazonTRM ("Corazón") and bit.ly/AnimalTRM ("Animal")

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase PRO 8.0.20 on Windows 8.1 64bits / 16GB RAM / Core i7 4790K / GTX970 4GB VRAM )
*Always the latest version available.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart

Post Reply

Return to “Older Cubase versions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests