Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Spiderbyte

Cubase Artist requires the USB eLicenser

Post by Spiderbyte »

Okay so I had to buy the packaged product version of Cubase Artist 7 and that means I got the eUSB licenser. Then, later, I tried to launch the program after taking out the USB and it said 'No valid license found.' That means I have to have the USB thing in my computer every single time I want to use the software? I bought it. I proved I own it. I shouldn't have to prove I own it every single time I launch the program. My computer doesn't have an infinte number of damn USB slots on it! I need those! Someone please tell me I'm missing something and there's a way I can convert this License back to the software version so it automatically takes care of itself like the licence I had on Cubase 6.
I like spiders.

knuckle47

Re: Seriously!?

Post by knuckle47 »

You can try using a powered USB hub for some of your other requirements and keep the dongle in place permanently as we all do. I had only 2 USB slots on the old computer but the hub works and it is very inexpensive, a few dollars
Cubase Pro 9.5.3| Win 10 Pro|GTX 1070 video 8gb ddr5| RME UFX+ via Thunderbolt 2| i7 7700k | 32gb Corsair 3600 Ram |ASUS Z270 TUF Mark1 | Samsung 960Pro SSD's | Cubasis | Nektar LX88|Guitar player 56 years|Absolute 3 VST Collection

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

when used to have cubase 5 i remember i could launch cubase with the dongle, then remove the dongle and cubase was running just fine, now if i remove the dongle while C7 is running it stops C7.

well i never took the advantage of that old behavior but it could be nice in live performances where u can launch cubase and then take the dongle off , or at studio running multiple studio/laptop computers at same location with cubase :D :!:
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

Post by Guest »

Spiderbyte wrote:Okay so I had to buy the packaged product version of Cubase Artist 7 and that means I got the eUSB licenser. Then, later, I tried to launch the program after taking out the USB and it said 'No valid license found.' That means I have to have the USB thing in my computer every single time I want to use the software? I bought it. I proved I own it. I shouldn't have to prove I own it every single time I launch the program. My computer doesn't have an infinte number of damn USB slots on it! I need those! Someone please tell me I'm missing something and there's a way I can convert this License back to the software version so it automatically takes care of itself like the licence I had on Cubase 6.
nope , usb hardware dongle it is , you obviously didn't research before buying then ........

MaXxive

Post by MaXxive »

So you actually want to be able to prove you bought it with the dongle, then never use it again, so you'll be able to install Cubase on a friend's computer, prove you bought it, then never use it again...?

I'm not saying you're trying to find a way to use the software illegally, but the thing is.... it's a working licensing system!

I'm happy that it's working the way it is, tbh! It's a small dongle, doesn't bother me at all and I'm sure this way Steinberg makes more (loses less) money, so they can invest more in new software en updates :)
Cubase 10.5.20 | Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit | Steinberg UR44 | Soundcraft M8 | SE Electronics 2200A | Shure SM58 | KRK RP5 | Kort Triton Extreme 76 | Technics AX5 |
http://www.maxxiveproductions.com - http://www.facebook.com/maxxiveproductions

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye »

filterfreak wrote:[you obviously didn't research before buying
+1
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Post by Elektrobolt »

Spiderbyte wrote:Okay so I had to buy the packaged product version of Cubase Artist 7 and that means I got the eUSB licenser. Then, later, I tried to launch the program after taking out the USB and it said 'No valid license found.' That means I have to have the USB thing in my computer every single time I want to use the software? I bought it. I proved I own it. I shouldn't have to prove I own it every single time I launch the program. My computer doesn't have an infinte number of damn USB slots on it! I need those! Someone please tell me I'm missing something and there's a way I can convert this License back to the software version so it automatically takes care of itself like the licence I had on Cubase 6.
I have to say that it is amazing to see people still buying a $500 license for an application, not doing any research into that investment, and then write a post saying "Seriously!?". I mean, that was my first response to you buying the software without even checking the software requirements. After all, you could have been missing a whole lot more than an available USB port. Anyway, requirements are clearly mention on the specs & downloads page.

Nevertheless, enjoy Cubase 7, it is simply awesome!
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

grecore

Post by grecore »

I bought that car, and everytime I want to drive it, I have to use the key. Seriously!?
Studio Nord Bremen
www.studio-nord.net

Freddie H

Post by Freddie H »

grecore wrote:I bought that car, and everytime I want to drive it, I have to use the key. Seriously!?

:mrgreen: :D haha... funny

Best Regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

:lol:
cubasis,cubase ic pro

TheNavigator

Post by TheNavigator »

grecore wrote:I bought that car, and everytime I want to drive it, I have to use the key. Seriously!?
This is an invalid comparison.

The carkeys benefit the driver of the car, the USB - key to Cubase only benefits Steinberg and annoys the user.

Scab Pickens

Post by Scab Pickens »

TheNavigator wrote:The carkeys benefit the driver of the car, the USB - key to Cubase only benefits Steinberg and annoys the user.
It doesn't annoy me.

Would you prefer others to be able to illegally and freely use the software you paid for?

I consider the hardware dongle a benefit. Just as a car key is meant to control who operates the car ...
Windows 10 | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 8 | Dorico SE 3.5 | Focusrite Pro 40

BriHar

Post by BriHar »

I'd be rather peeved if when I come to use the program I find someone has altered parameters and reconfigured it. If they don't have a key they can't run it and change things! So in that way, it protects and benefits me. ;)
Spiderbyte wrote:My computer doesn't have an infinte number of damn USB slots on it! I need those!
Ever heard of a USB hub?
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 10.5.20 - 64bit | Cubase AI 10.5 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan »

Spiderbyte wrote:I have to have the USB thing in my computer every single time I want to use the software? I bought it. I proved I own it. I shouldn't have to prove I own it every single time I launch the program.
Actually, you didn't buy the software and you don't own it. Steinberg owns the software. You agree to let them install their software on your computer and you buy a license to use their software on your computer. Steinberg has the right to protect their software from illegal use just as you have the right to buy and use a different product.
TheNavigator wrote:
This is an invalid comparison.

The carkeys benefit the driver of the car, the USB - key to Cubase only benefits Steinberg and annoys the user.
Actually, it does benefit the user. You just don't see it yet. I'll explain. If the software was stolen and copied many times, that would decrease revenue. Since Steinberg is a business and has to pay their bills with revenue (i.e. not a government agency that can operate at a loss for billions every quarter on taxpayer money), this helps keep the cost of the product down. Like the car keys, we would rather not have to carry them but we understand that they are a part of a solution to a problem. Also like the car keys, the dongle annoys the thief the most, which is the purpose.
J.L.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Mr M

Post by Mr M »

mozizo wrote:when used to have cubase 5 i remember i could launch cubase with the dongle, then remove the dongle and cubase was running just fine, now if i remove the dongle while C7 is running it stops C7.

well i never took the advantage of that old behavior but it could be nice in live performances where u can launch cubase and then take the dongle off , or at studio running multiple studio/laptop computers at same location with cubase :D :!:
I cant see how this was possible unless you mean Cubase VST 5 circa 2001. At least since Cubase SX my understanding is that Cubase does calls to the dongle throughout any session. This was a complaint 10 years ago as many noticed a performance hit (I never noticed personally).
i7-3930k @3.20Ghz 16gb Win7 64x Cubase 7 Komplete8 Maschine Axon50 and 11 hardware synths

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap »

Mr M wrote:
mozizo wrote:when used to have cubase 5 i remember i could launch cubase with the dongle, then remove the dongle and cubase was running just fine, now if i remove the dongle while C7 is running it stops C7.

I cant see how this was possible unless you mean Cubase VST 5 circa 2001. At least since Cubase SX my understanding is that Cubase does calls to the dongle throughout any session. This was a complaint 10 years ago as many noticed a performance hit (I never noticed personally).
Not every action taken causes dongle calls. even in C7 you can record and playback without the dongle attached...
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

i guess its not cubase but syncrosofts updates.. it was by accident i discovered it back than with C5 but i didn't actually launched cubase with 1 dongle on multiple computers cuz i didnt have to back then.
when had C7 just outta curiousity i tried removing the dongle while C7 running and cubase 7 stoped. it was like 4 months ago..
maybe now its different ? i'll try it later !
cubasis,cubase ic pro

TheNavigator

Post by TheNavigator »

Scab Pickens wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:The carkeys benefit the driver of the car, the USB - key to Cubase only benefits Steinberg and annoys the user.
It doesn't annoy me.

Would you prefer others to be able to illegally and freely use the software you paid for?

I consider the hardware dongle a benefit. Just as a car key is meant to control who operates the car ...
It annoys me a lot. I would like to use Cubase on my notebook as well, but this puts the dongle at risk of being destroyed, damaged or worn out (the USB contacts!).

So the dongle puts me in a very bad position actually - I have to buy a spare USB key (which is also sunken costs), contact support in case of loss, etc...

Yes, the dongle annoys me. Other companies can do without (I own a lot of music software, including NI Komplete 8) - whats so special again about cubase7.exe that it can't have a working copy protection without some clunky hardware?

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

NI's copy protection is not effective, Kontakt is cracked. I think they can live with that since a lot of the value in their product comes from the content which is enormous, thus difficult to download.

if you search for "kontakt torrent" you will see that people are using cracked versions.

The Steinberg dongle works. This software has arguably more functions than any other daw. After the initial investment, If you update every two years it costs $8.33 per month, and there are ways to buy it at a lower price than full retail if you really need to save money. (ebay, academic versions if you are a poor student or teacher)

I respect Steinberg's effort to maintain control over their product.

The contacts on your dongle are not going to wear out from plugging it in and pulling it out of the socket. C'mon. I used it on a Macbook Pro for years, I managed to never lose or break it, and I lose or break many things I own!

I find it entirely lame that people would complain about the price of Cubase, or that they might spend another $25. to protect their investment. Which is not even necessary, you can always just not lose your dongle, or buy the replacement when you need it. My suggestion earlier allowed that the OP lived in a location where it would be hard to obtain one, like say, Ukraine, or the eastern side of Afghanastan. ;)

TheNavigator

Post by TheNavigator »

Oh, thats bad for NI. Their products are really good. :-(

I just wish there was a solution, but I think I'll try the extension cord - thing.

BubblySunshine

Post by BubblySunshine »

I love my Steinberg dongle, its cute and sits there in a corner with a pulsing red heart beat like a little tamaogotchi, combined with the iLocks awesome electric blue glow its like something out of Tron (80's fan boy) I dig it! 8-)

Fitz

Post by Fitz »

Scab Pickens wrote:
It doesn't annoy me.

It annoys *ME* so there goes your argument.

Additionally eLicenser supports a 'soft' dongle which is tied to the computer. Annoyingly Steinberg do not permit this to be used, meaning instead that I must waste a USB port. This is one reason I will *never* use Cubase on stage as I only have 2x USB ports on my laptop which get used for keyboard and audio interface, and no, I'm not having a stupid USB powered hub hanging off my laptop being something else that can potentially go wrong. Ableton got my money for that application.
macOS 10.14.6 / C10.5.12 Pro / Elements / Cubasis iPad 2

distante

Post by distante »

What annoys me is the impossibility to pass my cubase AI 6 licence from the dongle to my laptop (hard to soft) Now, I just own a AI licence that is useless :x
Last edited by distante on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hear and See Rock Songs maded with Steinberg's UR824 and Cubase 7: bit.ly/CorazonTRM ("Corazón") and bit.ly/AnimalTRM ("Animal")

Do you want to show your music or any audio work made with Cubase? fb.com/groups/Made.With.Cubase/

My Stuff:
UR824 and Cubase PRO 8.0.20 on Windows 8.1 64bits / 16GB RAM / Core i7 4790K / GTX970 4GB VRAM )
*Always the latest version available.
A bunch of Mics, Pres and Toys, Plugins and Heart

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap »

distante wrote:What annoys me is the impossibility to pass my cubase AI 7 licence from the dongle to my laptop (hard to soft) Now, I just own a AI licence that is useless :x
Just like the OP you should have done some research...
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan »

distante wrote:What annoys me is the impossibility to pass my cubase AI 7 licence from the dongle to my laptop (hard to soft) Now, I just own a AI licence that is useless :x
How is that useless? Plug the dongle in and use the software.
J.L.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Return to “Older Cubase versions”