A 'lite' ver of Cubase for registered owners on the go.

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Early21

Re: A 'lite' ver of Cubase for registered owners on the go.

Post by Early21 »

I am extremely careful with the dongle, but still managed to crack the keyring loop just putting it in and taking it out. I use my laptop for recording band rehearsals; don't need full function while I'm recording. I also have LE from an old interface that I don't use anymore on a different computer, and it isn't transferable, as far as I know. I also thought it was a different audio engine. Would love to have a solution to this. I thought it would be neat to have a usb port on the inside of the laptop so you could leave it in there permanently (for those of us who only use Cubase on one computer).
Cubase 8.0 Pro, Wavelab 6 Essential, Lenovo Legion Y520 Laptop/Win10, Steinberg UR212, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX6, NI Komplete
My album Incontinental Breakfast at http://lborden.bandcamp.com. Works in process: https://soundcloud.com/incontinentals.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

Early21 wrote:I also thought it was a different audio engine
If you have LE1 and record something with it, the recording can be every bit as good as if you'd used the very latest version. The problem is that I don't think you can import the resultant project directly into Cubase 5/6 ... although there might be a solution here.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.20 • WaveLab 10.0.40 • SpectraLayers 6.0.30 • HALion 6.4.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

Post by Guest »

MrSoundman wrote:
mashedmitten wrote:LE1.07 does exactly what you are saying.
There's unfortunately no legal way for anyone to obtain a copy any more though ... unless you pick it up as part of a second-hand sale of an audio interface. There's also no easy way to get a Cubase 6 project into it ... and IIRC, it was based on SX1, and I think Cubase 5 and upwards no longer have the ability to import projects older than SX3?
OP stated he wanted this for capture purposes. Also, .all files are the unsupported ones from VST days LE1 files are .cpr and open in C4 with no issue so they'll open in 5&6. I mention all this in case someone has an opportunity to grab it somewhere. Even buying a cheap piece of used kit would be worth it, IMHO.

Post by Guest »

MrSoundman wrote:
Early21 wrote:I also thought it was a different audio engine
If you have LE1 and record something with it, the recording can be every bit as good as if you'd used the very latest version. The problem is that I don't think you can import the resultant project directly into Cubase 5/6 ... although there might be a solution here.
I have LE1 and C4. C4 opens LE1 projects as they're .cpr's. One downside is no 32 bit float, if that's desired.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

mashedmitten wrote:LE1 files are .cpr and open in C4 with no issue so they'll open in 5&6
I hear you, but I think that although they do open in C4, they might not in C5/6 ... I'll try to test this.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.20 • WaveLab 10.0.40 • SpectraLayers 6.0.30 • HALion 6.4.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

i hope Steinberg considers this option carefully. A lot of ppl who use Cubase in the studio refuse to take it out onto the road live because of the usb key going missing and the whole nite falling through.

so they use Logic or Ableton Live on the road, and (dangerously for Steinberg) the more that they use other DAW sequencing programs the more they like them over Cubase...and then its just a matter of eventually dumping Cubase all together in the studio as well. The rot sets in and Steinberg are *out*.

one of the biggest things that helps Steinberg keep their customers is the fact that many dont want to learn another DAW and lose time and energy swapping over. But in a way they force their customers away to other DAWs when it comes to live gigs with the whole USB dongle thing and the way they are so ruthless if you lose the dongle.

i would like a "lite" version of Mediabay for registered owners on the go as well for my laptop. Standalone. that would be very handy on flights...

Cheers,
Blackout
Cubase 8.5.30 / UAD2 Quad + UAD2 Solo / Win7 x64 SP1 / Asus X99 Deluxe II MB / 12 Gig DDR3 Samsung Ram / NVIDIA GT730 /Steinberg UR824 Audio Interface x2

Mandobilly64

Post by Mandobilly64 »

I think this would be a great idea as well. I am on SX3 right now but do plan to buy Cubase 6 when I can and even though I could just record my remotes on my laptop with SX3, I can't tell you how nervous that dongle makes me in a live setting, even just the thought of remembering it when I leave the house.
I personally don't even need the ability to do MIDI while doing live remotes but would definitely like the ability to record up to 24 or 32 tracks and then open those into my main DAW at home.

Peace,
Billy

El Professor

Post by El Professor »

I see some most excellent posts here so far.
I'm glad that most of them are on target and carefully considered from each person's work-needs-perspective.

The basic gist of what I see is this (feel free to supplement):

Main Ingredient: CUBASE 6 DAW (lite) software which can be imported into Cubase 6 full versions software and can playback (in a limited way) Cubase 6 files (see limitations below)

AUDIO: only minor editing capability (fades, volume, normalizing, exporting to basic types of files: wav, aiff, mp3)

MIDI: only minor editing capabilities similar to original midi software programs in the 80's. Ex. cut & paste, move, velocity and basic cc in a single window (to fix on a performance/rehearsal break a major problem before going back to performing/rehearsing).

MIXER: Basic (like a live PA mixer for audio and midi)

16 Audio Input fader channels
16 Audio Output fader channels, 16 midi fader channels

Record, Mute, Solo, Read on/off buttons, Simple Pan knob (like a PA mixer - easy to grab and set)

- INSERTS - a couple inserts (2 or 3) for using Steinberg limiter, compressor, eq and reverb plus any third party plugins

- FX BUSSES - 2 (e.g. for reverb and more powerful eq or hum/noise cancellation, etc. )

- GROUPS - a couple optional busses (2 or 4) in case you have drums, vocals, keys, other (to perform live) like a basic Mackie mixer for example

- MASTER STEREO OUT - with some similar option to use a couple plugins on inserts before the final output (limiter, multiband compressor, eq for example)

Basic Transport
Marker Track (for those who do track playback live to setup different regions to playback different songs all on one time line (like a set list), but they are still able to go to a request that's out of order (e.g. using the numbers in the inspector of the marker track)
Simple inspector for setting i/o, midi channels, pan, etc. (not as fleshed out as full version)

No Score module (don't want this to be a replacement for Cubase full version do we).

A few basic audio menu and midi menu items as mentioned above.

Simple Tempo and Time signature editing.

Simple snap features in the edit and arrange windows (not a full featured editor).

My original concept was that this lite version was not a replacement for the full version.
But either or both a playback engine or simple record version that can swap Full Cubase 5 files back and forth.
And perhaps if you want MIDI back and forth, a kind of a Cubase only midi file output from the full version to this lite version that plays back all the fancy midi stuff, but doesn't allow you to access and edit in detail all that stuff.
Similarly with the audio for playback. It might have all kinds of automation on the original full version but that stuff is bounced when placed in the lite version for playback though kept on its separate tracks so the automation is there, but not very editable, except for the mixer volume and pan faders. Any plugin and other advanced automation is either unaccessible or burned into the track for playback.

I'm hoping by all of us discussing this topic, that the Steinberg Developers (who are a pretty smart bunch) will consider this option for their full version users and toss about the value of this for their users.

Most of the long time users (I've been here since the very beginning in the 80's in the USA) already own a lot of hardware. We really don't wish to purchase any more hardware, just to have this capability. We're all (new and old users) looking for some peace of mind that a software based license would bring to someone whose main Cubase work is done at home or in their studio and this would be a limited 'ON THE GO' version suited for just those occasions to record or playback (or that could even be separated into a Record On The GO version and a Playback On The Go version. Hence really limiting the features for each so that you'd get the job done while away from home/studio and own the full version to go back to at home/studio for any serious work on a composition.

On with the dialog!

el profe, LG
*Software:
Cubase 10.5 using Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
Dorico 3.5 using Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
*Hardware:
2017 iMacPro 2.5 GHz Intel Xeon W, 128 Gb RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB RAM
2008 MacPro 2.8 GHz 8 core w/High Sierra 10.13.6 + El Capitan 10.11.6
+52 gigs RAM + dual monitors ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB card)
MOTU 424 PCI, M-Audio interfaces
* Laptop
2011 MacBook Pro 17" OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
ProSonus AudioBox USB interface
*Mac iPadPro 9.7" with Cubasis
- Hope to learn and be experimenting with Lemur and other touch controller sofware

El Professor

Post by El Professor »

Just noticed that this was moved from the Cubase 6 list to the Music Lounge.

ok, I guess that works for me
Just hoping the Cubase developers read the Music Lounge threads, as 1/2 the purpose was for us to discuss this
and the other half was for the developers to notice the interest in such a item for their full version Cubase users.

:?:

el profe, LG
*Software:
Cubase 10.5 using Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
Dorico 3.5 using Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
*Hardware:
2017 iMacPro 2.5 GHz Intel Xeon W, 128 Gb RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB RAM
2008 MacPro 2.8 GHz 8 core w/High Sierra 10.13.6 + El Capitan 10.11.6
+52 gigs RAM + dual monitors ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB card)
MOTU 424 PCI, M-Audio interfaces
* Laptop
2011 MacBook Pro 17" OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
ProSonus AudioBox USB interface
*Mac iPadPro 9.7" with Cubasis
- Hope to learn and be experimenting with Lemur and other touch controller sofware

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks »

I agree with the majority that some concession could potentially be made by SB to accommodate customers who have the full version but need to go mobile occasionally. If Cubase Artist can open C6 projects to some level of basic functionality, then this might be a good option, however it isn't free, after all, SB is a business! I am fairly certain this would be the party-line.

I don't think they'd be viewed as unreasonable in this expectation either, however, if I was in their marketing department, I might weigh this as a consideration at grabbing a little more market share, if they were to allow a cut down mobile version free to full Cx users, as an incentive to purchase the full version.

Luckily for me, I still have my old Cubase SE license, which has gone mobile for me a few times.
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

One other suggestion: different physical formats for the eLicenser, e.g. ExpressCard or PCMCIA. This would remove some of the risk of theft or breakage as it could be fully inserted into the laptop.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

El Professor wrote:Just noticed that this was moved from the Cubase 6 list to the Music Lounge
Mmmm ... does not bode well methinks .... :roll:

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks »

MrSoundman wrote:
El Professor wrote:Just noticed that this was moved from the Cubase 6 list to the Music Lounge
Hey, it's their forum right. ;)
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

braunie

Post by braunie »

...My copy of SE Studio Case bundle is capable of recording 24 bit audio and does not have dongle. I can use more inputs that I have preamps for and it runs in my trusty old laptop without a glitch. And I can transfer projects directly to C5.

my 2 cents.

But I love the idea OP gave :)

celtsound

Post by celtsound »

While the LE versions are certainly a good option, you have to be really careful about file compatibility. The full version of Cubase 5 can open LE5 generated files, but I don't think it works the other way round. So I have 2 suggestions

1. Use the soft license method (LE4 and LE5 already use this) rather than a dongle.
2. Full compatibility between C5/C6 and LE5 files.
Cubase LE1.08, Tascam US144, Vista HP 32bit, Toshiba Satellite.

"If music be the food of love, play on" - Shakespeare
Please don't send me IM's without asking first.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

Early21 wrote:I thought it would be neat to have a usb port on the inside of the laptop so you could leave it in there permanently (for those of us who only use Cubase on one computer).
braunie wrote:But I love the idea OP gave :)
I actually tried to do this with by wiring a USB socket into the base of a netbook where there was a hatch designed to take a 3G card, but the USB eLicenser was too big and I'd have had to break it open and take the circuit board out in order to make it fit. I wasn't able to get a response from Steinberg as to whether this would be "frowned upon", so I let it go.

The software eLicenser is another good option but at the moment you can only transfer a license one-way, from the soft-eLicenser to the USB but not back again.

Peter H. Boer

Post by Peter H. Boer »

S4410 wrote:And of course compatibility is crucial.
This is the only thing holding me back to buy LE for 'on the move'.
Of course I understand that I'm limited in plugins and track count etc., but LE should be able to load the full versions projects.

Peter
Asus Z87- Plus | I7-4770K 3.5G | 16 G ram | C7.5.20 | C5.5.3 | Wavelab 6.01 | Win7 Pro 64 Bit | 2* 22" Benq DL2215 | M-Audio Audiophile 2496 | RME UCX | RME ADI-2 | Presonus Digimax D8 | Accuphase E205 | Tannoy Precision 8 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro | TL Audio VP-5051 & 5001 both heavily modded by http://www.machinator.nl/

The Granny Attic Studio: http://www.thegrannyattic.com/
Progressive Power Trio: http://www.sote.nl/
Progressive rock with feminine edge: http://www.illumion.net/

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

Peter H. Boer wrote:
S4410 wrote:And of course compatibility is crucial.
but LE should be able to load the full versions projects
Steinberg have promised this for the "6" series, but they haven't announced an "LE6" yet, nor have they indicated what if any other versions will become available.

foolomon

Post by foolomon »

Reaper. $40. Done.

"Just call me Larry."

Lenovo T450 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM + 500GB SSD)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 8.5 Pro; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; FabFilter Pro Suite; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, Native Instruments (beyond what's in Komplete), Slate, Softube, Sound Toys and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!

Post by Guest »

You can have LE installed alongside full versions so drag and drop between them is cake re: compatibility. Full versions will open LE1 and LE4 .cpr's, also.

One other thing is LE4 uses the soft e-licenser so you have to be connected to the internet to use it. LE1 uses none so it's completely stand alone.

I bring all this up so if someone has a chance to grab LE1 somewhere they don't pass it up.

Oh, one other thing, LE1 doesn't have Use System Timestamp so if your MIDI interface requires it it could be an issue.

bluebob

Post by bluebob »

mashedmitten wrote: One other thing is LE4 uses the soft e-licenser so you have to be connected to the internet to use it.
huh? just to get the reply code right. are you saying you always have to be online to use le4
Bob
Trent River, Ontario

celtsound

Post by celtsound »

bluebob wrote:
mashedmitten wrote: One other thing is LE4 uses the soft e-licenser so you have to be connected to the internet to use it.
huh? just to get the reply code right. are you saying you always have to be online to use le4
I think that's what he meant, that you only need to be online to set up the elicenser then you're up and working. I think the reason he mentioned this is that some people won't connect their DAW machine to the internet for any reason.
Cubase LE1.08, Tascam US144, Vista HP 32bit, Toshiba Satellite.

"If music be the food of love, play on" - Shakespeare
Please don't send me IM's without asking first.

bluebob

Post by bluebob »

ya thats what I thought, thanks celtsound. and ya both my studio puters have never seen the net, thankfully theres the offline authoring
Bob
Trent River, Ontario

Post by Guest »

LE4 needs a connection at all times to use it. You can download the license to a USB key, but that defeats the purpose of this discussion.

Ruaridh

Post by Ruaridh »

mashedmitten wrote:LE4 needs a connection at all times to use it.
I'm fairly sure that that's not right.

I only used it a few times and it was a year ago. [I'd left my dongle on the other side of the country]

From memory: you need to go on line to get an activation code - if you want to use it for more that 30 days. Once you enter the code something (unique to your computer) is written to the hard drive and thereafter you can use it where ever/when ever you want - regardless of internet connections.

I'll fire up my lap-top as soon as I get a chance to check.

It still doesn't address the compatibility thing though.

If you need a guide track based on a C5/C6 project: you could export a wave file (or however many you need) and then import into the LE project. ... but that's starting to get messy and doesn't address the availability of LE.

It's hardly ideal to have to buy a new interface just so you get access to "free" software ... which may still have compatibility issues.
MrSoundman wrote:
Hey: the one dongle "super licence" thread on the old forum started on the Cubase page and was moved to The Lounge. Now one licence allows access to all smaller versions.

Don't give up the fight! [I say "fight", of course I mean good natured debate which will lead to a better featured, more user friendly product!]

R.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”