Please get rid of the Red Outline while selecting clips in Nuendo

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Nuendo 10 can be posted here.
aroomstudios

Re: Please get rid of the Red Outline while selecting clips in Nuendo

Post by aroomstudios »

I 2nd this request. I have been using Cubase for over 10 years and just switched to Nuendo 10.3. I color coat all my tracks. Drums red, bass yellow, guitars green etc. The red on red is very very hard to see. If you guys want to keep the red that is fine. Just make it a option to change to Cubase type colors or similar so we can see them when using colors.

lovegames

Post by lovegames »

Make your reds darker, problem solved.

Przemek K.

Post by Przemek K. »

Coming from Cubase, I'd say that the red outline in Nuendo is not so good. As soon as you start coloring your clips/parts like yellow, orange and definitely red, than its really cumbersome. The way it works in Cubase is just so much better.

Since Cubase and Nuendo share the same code, as far as I know, than it should be possible to add the behavior from Cubase in Nuendo. At least as a 2nd option,so both camps can adjust to personal taste.

ShaneTurner

Post by ShaneTurner »

It's fine when working on a few side by side clips at a time. Some of us have other needs:

When I'm scrolling through 200-500 tracks (my template is around 2000) to select multiple events to work on at once (say for a bounce, or to compare MIDI etc), the highlighted tracks have to visually stand out as much as possible. There's just too much info to sort through for a tiny red outline to work

I'm sure there's plenty of creative ways without annoying people who don't do the kind of work I do--like an adjustable thicker outline, options to customize the color, give it a pattern.. or add the Cubase style as an option?

agilkds

Post by agilkds »

+1
KDS Recording Studios (Lisbon - Portugal) - Nuendo 10.3 (64bit); Cubase Pro 10.5 (64 bit); Wavelab Pro10 (64 bit); CMC FD (x2); CMC TP; CMC CH; CMC QC; Focusrite Liquid Mix 32; MOTU 424 + 24I/O + 2408 mk3 + 2408 mk2 + 1224 MK2; Mutec Master Clock; Soundcraft Vienna II mixer (+ a lot of analog equipment) \ Win10 Pro, i7 core, 32 gig RAM

adunion

Post by adunion »

This one deserves to be bumped. Sorry if it offends anyone. It would still be interesting to hear from the devs on this topic.
PC: Nuendo 10.3 - Intel Core i7 6700K 4 Ghz (ASUS Z170-A Mobo) - 48 GB RAM - All SSD's - ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 - Windows 10 Pro 2004 - UAD-2 Solo - RME Fireface UFX - Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCIx

Mac: Nuendo 10.3.0, Cubase 9.5.50 - LAte 2014 Macbook Pro Retina i7 2.5 Ghz - 16 GB RAM - Mac OSX 10.14.6 (Mojave) - UA Apollo Twin Solo

st10ss

Post by st10ss »

my selected clips are black, inverted track color for labels
track color.PNG
(91.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Steffen
DAW: Nuendo, Cubase, Wavelab
Plugins: Fabfilter, UAD, Eventide, Waves, Voxengo, SIR, Native Instruments
Desks: A&H dLive (Live Sound), A&H QU16 (Live Sound), Yamaha DM1000(Home Studio)
i5 6400, 16GB RAM, Win10Pro 2004

adunion

Post by adunion »

That’s because you’ve got Background Colour Modulation switched on. Only works for audio parts and not ideal if you prefer black waveforms rather than white.
PC: Nuendo 10.3 - Intel Core i7 6700K 4 Ghz (ASUS Z170-A Mobo) - 48 GB RAM - All SSD's - ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 - Windows 10 Pro 2004 - UAD-2 Solo - RME Fireface UFX - Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCIx

Mac: Nuendo 10.3.0, Cubase 9.5.50 - LAte 2014 Macbook Pro Retina i7 2.5 Ghz - 16 GB RAM - Mac OSX 10.14.6 (Mojave) - UA Apollo Twin Solo

st10ss

Post by st10ss »

adunion wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:32 pm
That’s because you’ve got Background Colour Modulation switched on. Only works for audio parts and not ideal if you prefer black waveforms rather than white.
I customized it that way to see when my clips are selected...
and I don't care about the red outline

I don't understand the fuzz about it
Steffen
DAW: Nuendo, Cubase, Wavelab
Plugins: Fabfilter, UAD, Eventide, Waves, Voxengo, SIR, Native Instruments
Desks: A&H dLive (Live Sound), A&H QU16 (Live Sound), Yamaha DM1000(Home Studio)
i5 6400, 16GB RAM, Win10Pro 2004

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

Iftekharul Anam wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:40 am
When I select a clip in Nuendo, I can't even see sometimes properly...Especially when the clip is red in the first place....Please make it black, like Cubase.
Agree 2,000%!!! I work in ALL mediums and this “feature” is annoying in all of them. I simply want to select a clip, and be able to see which one I’ve selected when I come back from working in another editor. Etc. This should be a user preference choice. Thank you for mentioning it. I thought I was the only one it bothered.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
Producer-Guitarist-Arranger-Theologian
Nuendo 10.3 / Cubase 10.0.60 / Wavelab 9.5
Macbook Pro i7 2017 Quadcore 2.7 16gb ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.6
misterperlman@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/ted.perlman

bluefoam1986

Post by bluefoam1986 »

just want to keep updated about this issue

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

Ok so those of you that dislike the red border have to avoid quite a few red tones.

If Steinberg would choose the Cubase selection style that would result for us that use color to indicate certain things about certain events that we could never use any dark colors at all, as all colors get inverted/darker upon selection and thus easily mixed with other dark colored events.
And the changing color to indicate selection also removes the possibility for the user to be reminded of the status (actual color) of the selected event as long as it is selected as it then wouldn't have the defined color it was given.
When using the inverted color for selected events the GUI will basically start flashing as you keep selecting different events in the project, and again as you do so, yes you may be able to see what is selected, but you can no longer see the color the events actually have.

Can you see the similarity between the different issues in use?
Can you see that the change to a cubase style selection causes more issues for some of us than it solves for some of you?

I fully agree that the simple red line/box isn't optimum, but the Cubase alternative is worse for all users that work like we do.
Personally I'd welcome the option to choose either method.
I would also welcome for example a red outer line and a white inner line to indicate selection as that would improve seeing selected events with red color tints. Something that would improve on what we already have.

But switching to the cubase method would kill my workflow in post audio. So I do not want that method at all.
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
13xNuendo, (5xPT Only used for external clients)
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

Ted Perlman

Post by Ted Perlman »

Yes - I’m sure we all can agree it should be user’s choice. Not all Nuendo users work mainly in post. A lot of us like myself mainly do music productions. I’ve been using Nuendo since 2004. The only feature I’ve hated all that time is that red outline. Especially since I am red/green color impaired. I love the Cubase method of black highlighted.
Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
Producer-Guitarist-Arranger-Theologian
Nuendo 10.3 / Cubase 10.0.60 / Wavelab 9.5
Macbook Pro i7 2017 Quadcore 2.7 16gb ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.6
misterperlman@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/ted.perlman

HughH

Post by HughH »

ErikG wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 am

I would also welcome for example a red outer line and a white inner line to indicate selection as that would improve seeing selected events with red color tints. Something that would improve on what we already have.
I understand your issues with the Cubase method.

However, I still find it very difficult in some circumstances to see what is selected. I find myself looking twice to make sure I don't perform some operation on the wrong clip. In some cases I can't even see a selection, so I have to click in an empty space and then on the intended item just to make sure.

I think - in lieu of an option - perhaps your idea of some kind of BOLDER selection line might work.
That little red line is very thin.

Hugh
Nuendo 10, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019
i7 5820 Asus x99 Deluxe 64 Gig Win 10 Home, Dual Monitors RME Digiface PCIe
Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop i9 (10th Gen) 32 Gig Win 10 MOTU 8Pre-ES
i7 920 Asus P6T 12G Win 7 Slave Machine
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn)
X-Touch Compact for various stuff
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
UR22

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”