Cubasis 3 Free to Upgrade?

Post questions and find answers on Cubasis 3 for iOS here.
Haapasaari

Re: Cubasis 3 Free to Upgrade?

Post by Haapasaari »

I bought Cubasis 2 just two months ago. There was no warning of the upcoming update (/”complete rewrite”). I would’ve liked to have the group channels, but I’m not liking this no upgrade discount policy, so I actually installed Ableton Live 10 on my old MacBook Pro and to my surprise, it’s running there really smoothly!

Maybe I return using Cubasis some day, but for now, you quite literally lost a customer here.

Timo Haapasaari,
Littoinen Finland

Snowmind

Post by Snowmind »

Oh man, I really feel bamboozled. I’ve purchased Cubasis 2 two weeks ago, and now there’s Cubasis 3, which is, of course, full-priced purchase. I would issue a refund if I could, but of course that does not comply with Apple’s refund policy. This does not feel good.

Quinnx

Post by Quinnx »

Liars. Keep repeating how many free updates we have seen on Cubas’s 2 as if we where being blessed by this.
The fact is, updates where driven by users and there interaction, feedback and bug reports along with patience, and where produced quite rightly toFIX These issues.
Also they where driven by sales, inapp purchases which in turn was driven by users in the App Store.
These user where the early adopters and thought they where building loyalty which it turns out what we where really building was steinbergs pockets,
Along with now empty promises to add requested features to the current build only to be superseded by Cubasis 3 to which we now must prchase to gain the benefit from all our loyalty input and support.
I think since an upgrade price is not something we are being offered and original supporters which are steinbergs strongest promoters are being left out in the cold, I feel steinberg have now lost there strongest backbone. Why would we ever be encouraging any longer just so steinbergs berg can reap instant profits from a double payment?
I think Not!

alfredogarciaw

Post by alfredogarciaw »

No grace period without a warning that a new version was coming?
No upgrade prices? just the full price.
Cero marketing and respect for user base.
Many of us has plenty of friends (musician or not) just social network, who will be aware of this behavior of Steinberg.
I appreciate the quality of Steinberg products and people work, but the competition is hard and this insensible behavior for devoted user is something that will count a lot in the next purchase of a DAW.

alfredogarciaw

Post by alfredogarciaw »

Perhaps something Steinberg doesn’t understand is that a devoted user is also a seller of the product.
In the short term perhaps is the money, but in the long term a big user base is also a promotion for the product, if you don’t get people paying again and again the full amount for Cubassis 3 from Cubasis 2 that means that they have migrated to another DAW.
By the way:
Why Steinberg has a Upgrade policy for Cubase 10… etc., and not for Cubasis ?
And in Cubase the Upgrade policy is really aggressive, I mean.
Cubase 10.5 Pro
$581 full
$59,99 upgrade.

Perhaps Steinberg is not interesting in creating a user base.

alfredogarciaw

Post by alfredogarciaw »

I don’t understand if; every Ipad and Iphone comes with Garageband(that’s great and related to LogicPro as Cubasis to Cubase) free and upgrade for life.
It is clear that with these Steingberg “Non Upgrade” policy, it is going to make people use GarageBand.

Quinnx

Post by Quinnx »

And once again, 3rd generation new users will only have to pay a one time price and benefit from all 1st generation backers/testers/promoters
But the rest of us have to pay full price Again!? 😡

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I use Cubasis 2 merely when I have to do mobile recordings and I always appreciated the stability and easy handling of the app.
I do not need the new features of Cubasis 3 but would nevertheless happily update to V3 but definitely not for that price !
Win 10 - i7 X980 - 24 GB Corsair DDR-3 - Corsair CSSD F120GB2 - 2x Seagate Sata3 2TB - Apollo Quad - UAD2 - Nuendo 8.30

gamehits

Post by gamehits »

I just went through the comparison guides for Cubasis 2 vs. 3. While there are a _few_ significant changes, to say this is a completely new program and to charge full price for previous version users is completely disingenuous. Cubasis 3 is STILL the same interface (no re-write there), still has the same number of included efx, has the same p2p add ons, and is _actually_ 20% or less different than Cubasis 2. I have every update and own just about every Steinberg program and plug-in, and until now there has never been an UPGRADE that was full price. If it's not an upgrade and instead a new program, then call it something else. Steinberg didn't because it's not. It makes me wonder what price they plan to charge for Cubase 11...considering no mater what they do with it, it will still only be <20% than the previous versions...

gmontano

Post by gmontano »

I agree. They really dropped the ball here. I have upgraded every single version of Cubase since the Atari days to Mac and then PC. As a matter of principle I can’t just buy Cubasis again due to faulty Steinberg logic. If Cubasis was a 9.99 app I could see not having an upgrade but a $50 app is a different story and pretty tone deaf of Steinberg to not even understand this.
6950x, 64 GB RAM, ASrock x99 mobo, 1050 Ti video card, Windows 10, RME UFX, Cubase 10 Pro.

jesiah

Post by jesiah »

I just bought 2 on November 25th (and have the bank statement to prove it), and with all the holidays I just got around to trying to learn it today... only to find that version 3 is out, but I have to pay another $50 again?!
There was no warning that this was coming, and I would have waited otherwise.

Really hoping Steinberg can offer some sort of discount or transfer policy..? If I had been using Cubasis 2 for a year I honestly wouldn’t care about paying for the upgrade... it looks like a great program, but I literally JUST bought it! This is incredibly poor business practice, and has me looking at other options for my needs. Would rather just be treated with care by Steinberg.

softbass

Post by softbass »

At least everyone on this forum has taken time out to feedback these issues to Steinberg. It shows that Steinberg have had a loyal following. Most people would just move onto another product or stick with what they have. Only time and falling profits will prove if Steinberg have made a mistake ignoring the strong opinions here.

My biggest concern is the number of bugs that have already been found in Cubasis 3. Why weren’t these bugs picked up by the beta testers? Were they prevented from making the bugs public by the NDA’s they had to sign by any chance?

jesiah

Post by jesiah »

Posted this last night, but my post hasn't been approved?
In short: Yet another user who purchased Cubasis 2 late (November 25th) and am excited to try 3 but turned off that apparently I have to pay $50 twice within a few weeks. Looking for a solution, like 4 pages of other users.

Macjonald

Post by Macjonald »

softbass wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:50 pm
At least everyone on this forum has taken time out to feedback these issues to Steinberg. It shows that Steinberg have had a loyal following. Most people would just move onto another product or stick with what they have. Only time and falling profits will prove if Steinberg have made a mistake ignoring the strong opinions here.

My biggest concern is the number of bugs that have already been found in Cubasis 3. Why weren’t these bugs picked up by the beta testers? Were they prevented from making the bugs public by the NDA’s they had to sign by any chance?
Yeah, I wouldn’t have cared if it was a £10 app I paid for a month ago, but it was £50 + a further £15 in in-app additions. It took me a couple of days to justify spending that amount on an iPad app before I bought it. I thought I made the right decision until they pretty much announced they were killing off Cubasis2 a couple of weeks after. Is there any point in me learning to use Cubasis2 now? Will I be able to open my projects in Cubasis 3 once 2 becomes completely unusable?

alfredogarciaw

Post by alfredogarciaw »

I have a couple of iOS apps , that had no update for iPadIOS and simply stopped working?
Cubasis 2 will become obsolete with each new version of iPadIOS.
No upgrade policy, End game For me with Steingberg.
Will not paid the entire price, just to become a Beta tester of version 3. :oops:

flern

Post by flern »

LSlowak wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:58 am
Chainsaw wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 am
Lars,

First, thank you for Cubasis 3 and all future updates. The Cubasis team efforts are not taken for granted.
I do not think major updates should be free, because I want the companies that write the software I use to stay in business, and provide technical support.
Even though Cubasis 3 is not an 'update', but a completely rewritten version, existing Cubasis 2 users should get a discounted price.
Auria had the same complaints when they came out with Auria Pro, but there was at least a discounted price for existing Auria users.
And, for the many desktop software applications that I have a license for, there is always a discount for existing users.
Please reconsider Cubasis 3 pricing.

Thanks.
Hi Chainsaw, Hi all,

Thank you for your message.

Cubasis has seen more than thirty updates, where we've added lots of new features.
All of these have been free to existing customers, since Cubasis' introduction in 2012 to 2019.

Cubasis 3 is not an update to Cubasis, but a brand-new, fully rewritten app, adding iPhone support and more than twenty user-requested features.
Existing Cubasis users, can transfer their existing in-app purchases to Cubasis 3 for free.

Best,
Lars

No Lars, That doesn’t help...
You just frustrated a lot of recent buyers of Cubasis 2 with your unfair and stubborn policy. And you frustrate us even more with your refusal to give a serious reply in stead of just copying and pasting your *flower* about “building it from scratch and over 30+ free updates...” I bought Cubasis 2 only 3 weeks ago and it’s already outdated... Is there no way you can understand how being mislead and cheated we are feeling? I’m sorry but I hope for some bad reviews in the AppStore..

alfredogarciaw

Post by alfredogarciaw »

Yes, just changed my review to 1 star and explaining the no upgrade policy and expecting no more updates. :oops:

Macjonald

Post by Macjonald »

flern wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:52 am
LSlowak wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:58 am
Chainsaw wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 am
Lars,

First, thank you for Cubasis 3 and all future updates. The Cubasis team efforts are not taken for granted.
I do not think major updates should be free, because I want the companies that write the software I use to stay in business, and provide technical support.
Even though Cubasis 3 is not an 'update', but a completely rewritten version, existing Cubasis 2 users should get a discounted price.
Auria had the same complaints when they came out with Auria Pro, but there was at least a discounted price for existing Auria users.
And, for the many desktop software applications that I have a license for, there is always a discount for existing users.
Please reconsider Cubasis 3 pricing.

Thanks.
Hi Chainsaw, Hi all,

Thank you for your message.

Cubasis has seen more than thirty updates, where we've added lots of new features.
All of these have been free to existing customers, since Cubasis' introduction in 2012 to 2019.

Cubasis 3 is not an update to Cubasis, but a brand-new, fully rewritten app, adding iPhone support and more than twenty user-requested features.
Existing Cubasis users, can transfer their existing in-app purchases to Cubasis 3 for free.

Best,
Lars

No Lars, That doesn’t help...
You just frustrated a lot of recent buyers of Cubasis 2 with your unfair and stubborn policy. And you frustrate us even more with your refusal to give a serious reply in stead of just copying and pasting your *flower* about “building it from scratch and over 30+ free updates...” I bought Cubasis 2 only 3 weeks ago and it’s already outdated... Is there no way you can understand how being mislead and cheated we are feeling? I’m sorry but I hope for some bad reviews in the AppStore..
Ah, the exact same thing happened to me too - I bought C2 at the same time as you for £50. The copy and pasting just suggests they don’t care in the slightest. I’m not a marketing guru or anything, but I’m fairly sure this isn’t the best way to interact with customers. We don’t want free stuff! We just don’t want to feel like we’ve been tricked into buying something full price which is being killed off almost immediately! C3 is functionally an upgrade of C2 regardless of how the guts are assembled.

Mantahoe

Post by Mantahoe »

I’m all for supporting developers because of the hard work they put in. That’s why I paid for Cubasis 2. But this is ridiculous if you bought Cubasis 2 within the past three months.

What does this mean for Cubasis 2? No more updates?
It seems this is the pattern with Steinberg so Cubasis 4 will probably be the same situation. It wouldn’t feel that much of a rip off if you gave recent buyers an upgrade path.

JasonP

Post by JasonP »

I’m gutted that the company are taking this stance, I too am a new user of v2 and only just discovered that v3 is released. I’m voting on a sliding discount for new purchases of v2 in the last few months.

I’m guessing the product I bought (v2) recently is now End Of Life - i.e. no updates or fixes? Will it still work on IOS 15... or whatever version Apple release? At some stage I will be forced to re-purchase. Other DAWs for iPad are available!

I really like the post above of 1,000 x 30 is much more money than 200 x 50!!

If you do implement this, you will earn much loyalty from the user base. Please reconsider

Snowmind

Post by Snowmind »

Steinberg replied to my App Store review with a suggestion to ask refund from Apple, but that's not a viable option. My purchase is not eligible for refund anymore, and really, it's nearly impossible to find those terms.
If I pick any other reason of why I'm not satisfied with purchase, they just send me to Steinberg forum.
Everybody tries to reject the responsibility, so eventually there's no one to talk to, really.

alfredogarciaw

Post by alfredogarciaw »

The only thing you can do is: change your review.

Mantahoe

Post by Mantahoe »

Just an FYI. I purchased Cubasis 2 on November 16th (outside the refund window). Explained the situation through Apple support and got my refund. It's the only way since unfortunately Steinberg won't do anything.

henrikmusic

Post by henrikmusic »

Don't get angry on Lars, he has nothing to do with
Cubasis 3 price policy, but Steinberg does!.
I agree, it is not the best thing to charge full
price, one would hope, we could get some
upgrade options!
I am not angry because i have to pay full price for Cubasis 3, i mean what can you do!.
I will wait buying Cubasis 3, when Cubasis 3 gets
much more stable and better.
Chears everyone and have a good day!.
Pc, Core i7 2600K, 3.4ghz, 24gb ddr3 ram, geforce gtx 760, Samsung
256gb SSD, Mac mini 2012, Core i5, 2.3 ghz, 16gb ddr3 ram, yosemite os x,
Cubase element 8, Wavlab element 8, Halion 6,
Bstation, Vstation, Omnisphere 2.6, EWQL Hollywood String, EWQL symphonic Orchestra, EWQL Space, EWQL Stormdrum 2,
Voice of Passion, Goliath,EWQL solo violin,
Superior drummer 3. Ivory Grand Pianos 2, Sampletank 3 SE, Ezkeys classic keys, Ezkeys electric, Propellerhead
Europa, Reason 9 lite.
JV880, Yamaha DGX630,
Roland SPD8 drumkit.
Ipad pro 11” 2018.
Silicon Graphics Indigo2-R4K/250 SolidIMPACT Graphics,
Silicon Graphics Indy R5K/150, Amstrad CPC 464 2x Commodore 64.

MMoorman

Post by MMoorman »

It doesn’t need to be free, but it is shocking that it is full price. Shame on this. As a 15 year user of Steinberg products this may be the last straw.
Cubase 6.0.5 | MR816x | Macbook Pro | OS X 10.6.8 | 3rd Party Plugins: Soundtoys, Softube, Voxengo, and few more | That's the digital side of things...

Return to “Cubasis 3 for iOS”