Cubasis 3 Free to Upgrade?

Post questions and find answers on Cubasis 3 for iOS here.
LSlowak
Steinberg Employee

Re: Cubasis 3 Free to Upgrade?

Post by LSlowak »

Yamahasy85 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:15 pm
Yes you have to pay again.....
Even if your a faithful user since day one,
And supported Cubasis with good reviews & help with issues etc....
Hi Yamahasy85,

Thank you for your message.

As a day one Cubasis user, you have seen 30+ feature and improvement updates, since our initial release back in Dec 2012.

Cubasis 3 is a brand-new app, rewritten from scratch, adding a new iPhone version and more than twenty user-requested features.
It took the full team several years to make it, and is not a simple update of any previous Cubasis version.

Best wishes,
Lars
Lars Slowak - Project Management & Team lead Cubasis
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook

LSlowak
Steinberg Employee

Post by LSlowak »

haraldsson wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:10 pm
Ok, people. I happily pay for every update/upgrade Steinberg makes - because without me - and you - paying, there would be little development. And I would be running Pro 16 (the first Steinberg software) on Atari from 1984. Of course you can discuss the amount to pay, but for my part, I am happy using latest versions of Cubase Pro, WaveLab and Cubasis.

A happy music maker,
Hjortur
Thank you, Hjortur!
We hope you will enjoy Cubasis!

Best,
Lars
Hamburg, Germany

LSlowak
Steinberg Employee

Post by LSlowak »

Towjam wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:30 pm
Although I too am disappointed that there's no upgrade pricing from 2.x, in the grand scheme of things, $49 is an absolute bargain given all the functionality of the product and the work that went into building it.
Thanks for your comment, Towjam!

Best,
Lars
Hamburg, Germany

Rbot1101

Post by Rbot1101 »

Very disappointed. Bought cubasis 2 only 2 months ago. Can’t afford to spend 5hat money again yet.

Yamahasy85

Post by Yamahasy85 »

Hi Lars,
Many thanks for your reply,

I do fully understand and thank you all at Steinberg for all you constant hard work in providing us users with not only Cubasis, but all
Your products and service.

It's just a bit frustrating that we have to buy a new app, which is basically a rework of the old.
Not to mention the fact that this new Cubasis 3, only works with ios13..

There have been countless issues regarding the ios13 with Audio issues, Apple favouring AUv3 over IAA.
That I have not and at this time will not update my device.

As you can understand I have over 80+ effects mostly AUv3, and 30+ synths AUv3 and IAA which as of now work more or les perfectly.

So I dare not risk them developing issues for the sake of updating iOS.

Maybe in time this will all get fixed and only then I may consider updating and moving on to cubasis 3.

As for now 2.8.2 will have to be my choice.

Just one thing,
Will 2.8.2 continue to get updated ??

Thank you again.
Best wishes
Yam.

relayer

Post by relayer »

I would gladly pay $49.99 for Cubasis 3. However, here in Australia it is $79.99. Anyone paying less than this price should consider themselves lucky.

haraldsson

Post by haraldsson »

If you are talking about 49,99 USD and 79,99 AUD the prices are almost the same, due to the difference in exchange rates.
Best regards,
Hjörtur Haraldsson Blöndal

Hardware:
Apple - iMac 27" 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16GB Ram - macOS 10.15.3 Catalina
Steinberg UR22C Audio Interface

Host:
Steinberg - Cubase Pro 10.5.0

Brasso

Post by Brasso »

Rewriting from scratch means rewriting to facilitate an iPhone version? A separate version for iPhone with an upgrade price for existing users would have been a fairer way. And sorry, but 2.8.2 ain’t a great change tbh. Not a personal attack on the Steinberg Cubasis Dev team but me feels the accountant got hold of the pricing decisions.

Don Craig

Post by Don Craig »

cloudswimmer wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:56 pm
I have a hard time with this being a complete re-write of code yet such a basic feature as midi tempo change not being written in .. heck even my 30 year old copy of Opcode Vision made for the old SE toaster Mac’s has tempo change guys :roll: For us jazz and classical types Cubasis is next to worthless unless recording a live session. You can’t even play standard midi files in it properly. I get that developers need to make money to feed their kids, etc., and I’ll have no problem paying $50.00 for a new version when Cubasis gives us this most basic of functions. Till then Cubasis 2 will continue to provide a somewhat useful but limited role in my workflow .. I’m very disappointed and I know I’m not alone.
I agree with cloudswimmer: no upgrade price AND no tempo map?

Don Craig

Post by Don Craig »

cloudswimmer wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:56 pm
I have a hard time with this being a complete re-write of code yet such a basic feature as midi tempo change not being written in .. heck even my 30 year old copy of Opcode Vision made for the old SE toaster Mac’s has tempo change guys :roll: For us jazz and classical types Cubasis is next to worthless unless recording a live session. You can’t even play standard midi files in it properly. I get that developers need to make money to feed their kids, etc., and I’ll have no problem paying $50.00 for a new version when Cubasis gives us this most basic of functions. Till then Cubasis 2 will continue to provide a somewhat useful but limited role in my workflow .. I’m very disappointed and I know I’m not alone.
I agree with cloudswimmer: no upgrade price AND no tempo map?
LSlowak wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:07 am
[quote=hipp0henk post_id=936809 time=<a href="tel:1576709371">1576709371</a> user_id=70831]
For me this is a show stopper. Who cares about the design of fx’s ? It’s extra functions we need, like remote control. I see a trend here: Cubase 10.5 also did not add much to the previous version. Is this the way Steinberg is going to make money?
Hi hipp0henk,

Cubasis has seen more than thirty updates since its initial release back in Dec 2012.
All of them have been free of charge for existing customers.

Rewriting Cubasis 3 from scratch took our full team several years, to reprogram everything included and make things better. Plus we've added highly user-requested features such as the brand-new iPhone version and more than twenty other additions such as group tracks, a new mixer, extended effects, a new MediaBay, a brand-new UNDO system with History List and so much more.

If Cubasis 3 is not for you, we hope the Cubasis 2.8.2 update will be.

Best wishes,
Lars
[/quote]
hipp0henk wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:49 pm
For me this is a show stopper. Who cares about the design of fx’s ? It’s extra functions we need, like remote control. I see a trend here: Cubase 10.5 also did not add much to the previous version. Is this the way Steinberg is going to make money?
I’m wth hippo0henk on this one. No upgrade price AND still no remote control? (See also cloudswimmer’s tempo change)
Nice that you can pet and groom my dog, but if you can’t walk or feed it...

Oliviachas

Post by Oliviachas »

Hi Lars,
When was it announced that Cubasis 3 was on the horizon and would be a complete re-write and there would be no upgrade path? Having just purchased Cubasis 2, I must have missed the announcement.
Generally, I am a happy Steinberg customer and don’t mind subsidizing R&D. Where I have a problem is when a company knowingly sells you something thing that is soon to be discontinued and your investment hits a brick wall. Some healthy companies see the value of avoiding these scenarios. Soundtoys, Spectrasonics, Ujam always acknowledge your investment. A $10 discount or a coupon might only be a gesture but it avoids the current distaste I have in my mouth. I haven’t even opened Cubasis 2 because my wife’s iPad is only 16GB. When I get my iPad Pro in March, my principles might over-rule my desire for the latest and the greatest.
Cubase 10.5 Pro | Reason 10 | HALion 6.1| Window 10 64-bit | Intel i7 920 | 16 GB RAM | Steinberg UR44| GeForce 9400 GT | UAD Quad | Wavelab 9.5 | Universal Audio LA 610 | Joe Meek VC1 | Mackie 824s | Spectrasonics Trilian Stylus RMX Omnisphere| East West RA Symphonic Orchestra | BFD 3 | Soundtoys l Izotopes Production Suite

letsgo47

Post by letsgo47 »

LSlowak wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 am
Divesh wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 pm
cubasis 3 and cubasis almost same app ,This is not fair only some extra things added to cubasis 3 so why we (cubasis 2 )user have to pay again full money for add on features
Hi Divesh,

Cubasis 3 is a brand-new app, and not an update of any existing previous Cubasis version.

It took the team several years to rewrite the app from scratch, plus we've added several user-requested features such as the brand-new iPhone version, group tracks, a new mixer, additional FX slots, a full rewritten UNDO system with History List, a new MediaBay and so much more.

Feel free to check out all the new additions yourself on our website at: steinberg.net/cubasis

Best wishes,
Lars
Hi, LSlowak.

Your are replying " It took the team several years to rewrite the app from scratch " all the time but I think You and all Steinberg Company forget something: We payed more tan 40 Euros for the first Cubasis. This money has helped to "rewrite the app from scratch" for sure so, Don't you think we deserve a discount? Yeah, we've seen 30+ updates, And? , What do you mean ?, I don't understand what do you want to say when you say "we've seen 30+ updates ", Is there a number of updates for Cubasis 2? 30+ updates is the top? or what.

The only thing I'm seing here is that I payed more than 40 Euros in Cubasis and FX apps, waiting for the rest of updates or new apps and now Steinberg tell us that all the suggestions for Cubasis 2 has been used for a new Cubasis, Cubasis 3, and we have to pay for it, again. Bravo. My advice for the new Cubasis 3 users: Don't write suggestions.

I don't like what you have done. During all my life as musician I've been using Steinberg Cubase ( now Cubasis in ipad ) but I think is time for a change. If you did with Cubasis 2 you Will do it with Cubasis 3 and I'm not going to spend more than 40 Euros, again. I have no trust in Steinberg, now.

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf »

I am happy to pay for a new app version, since we users profit from development!
That wouldn't happen at all without money flow.

As for VERY recent Cubasis 2 buyers, I think a grace period of a month or two, with whatever compensation, would be fair.

relayer

Post by relayer »

haraldsson wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:27 pm
If you are talking about 49,99 USD and 79,99 AUD the prices are almost the same, due to the difference in exchange rates.
Even taking the exchange rate into consideration, which I am, it’s about how much comes out of people’s pockets. I would gladly pay $50 or $55 for the new app (and don’t forget it’s a new app which just happens to bear the Cubasis name). It’s a pity there isn’t a limited time introductory price.

Post by 1977 »

Does anyone know if I will have to repurchase the arpeggiator that I already bought for v2 or does that transfer over? I’m a little disappointed there is no small financial incentive for existing users to upgrade, but it does seem like a great new version.

Chainsaw

Post by Chainsaw »

Lars,

First, thank you for Cubasis 3 and all future updates. The Cubasis team efforts are not taken for granted.

I do not think major updates should be free, because I want the companies that write the software I use to stay in business, and provide technical support.

Even though Cubasis 3 is not an 'update', but a completely rewritten version, existing Cubasis 2 users should get a discounted price.

Auria had the same complaints when they came out with Auria Pro, but there was at least a discounted price for existing Auria users.

And, for the many desktop software applications that I have a license for, there is always a discount for existing users.

Please reconsider Cubasis 3 pricing.

Thanks.

iosis

Post by iosis »

Can we get serius update of cubasis 2 please?
How do you record 16 channels in 96 khz without
losing data? I have just false recordings becouse record knob on each track is really steinberg knowladge that fails in reality LOOK I see after recording that 2nd track is not recorded - and I click it.

I also NEED as You promise UNLIMITED tracks for in CUBASIS 2 - I did not seen 100 tracs of midi instrument!

Can I get free cubase 10.5 to test unlimited tracs in 192 khz to see if hans zimmer is not brainwashed with 80's sound quality 44.1 in 2019 and even worser mp3 inovation of steinberg which should develop mp3 for telephone calls DONT GET ME WRONG BUT TOTAL RIGHT look

Why stenberg don't invent what musicans really need realtime mpr3 192 khz 32 buffersize to use ipad and your hardware USB intefaces on unlimited tracs? Mp3 of steinberg is usfull just in monitoring audio - SCENE !!! And you see that this what we really need not work as your promises of unlimited tracs - which could be work with realtime mp3 monitoring audio - you also invented VST!

iosis

LSlowak
Steinberg Employee

Post by LSlowak »

Chainsaw wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 am
Lars,

First, thank you for Cubasis 3 and all future updates. The Cubasis team efforts are not taken for granted.

I do not think major updates should be free, because I want the companies that write the software I use to stay in business, and provide technical support.

Even though Cubasis 3 is not an 'update', but a completely rewritten version, existing Cubasis 2 users should get a discounted price.

Auria had the same complaints when they came out with Auria Pro, but there was at least a discounted price for existing Auria users.

And, for the many desktop software applications that I have a license for, there is always a discount for existing users.

Thanks.
Hi Chainsaw, Hi all,

Cubasis has seen more than thirty updates, where we've added lots of new features.
All of these have been free to existing customers, since Cubasis' introduction in 2012 to 2019.

Cubasis 3 is not an update to Cubasis, but a brand-new, fully rewritten app, adding iPhone support and more than twenty user-requested features.
Existing Cubasis users, can transfer their existing in-app purchases to Cubasis 3 for free.

Best,
Lars
Hamburg, Germany

flern

Post by flern »

LSlowak wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 am
Divesh wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 pm
cubasis 3 and cubasis almost same app ,This is not fair only some extra things added to cubasis 3 so why we (cubasis 2 )user have to pay again full money for add on features
Hi Divesh,

Cubasis 3 is a brand-new app, and not an update of any existing previous Cubasis version.

It took the team several years to rewrite the app from scratch, plus we've added several user-requested features such as the brand-new iPhone version, group tracks, a new mixer, additional FX slots, a full rewritten UNDO system with History List, a new MediaBay and so much more.

Feel free to check out all the new additions yourself on our website at: steinberg.net/cubasis

Best wishes,
Lars
Hello Lars,

I bought Cubasis 2 just a month ago not knowing about version 3 coming up soon. Off course I would have waited if I knew.
If you buy Cubasis 3 right now you won't be using version 2 anymore... so yes.. it's absolutely an update and not a brand-new app as you may call it.
Despite all the good work the developers did.. To pay 55 euros again is absolutely dissapointing and should be reconsidered.

Chainsaw

Post by Chainsaw »

LSlowak wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:58 am
Chainsaw wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 am
Lars,

Thanks.
Hi Chainsaw, Hi all,

Cubasis has seen more than thirty updates, where we've added lots of new features.
All of these have been free to existing customers, since Cubasis' introduction in 2012 to 2019.

Cubasis 3 is not an update to Cubasis, but a brand-new, fully rewritten app, adding iPhone support and more than twenty user-requested features.
Existing Cubasis users, can transfer their existing in-app purchases to Cubasis 3 for free.

Best,
Lars
Lars,

I get it, I have read your reply many times already.

However, Cubasis 3 is not a 'brand-new ' app to existing users because they are moving on from Cubasis 2 to Cubasis 3, so call it what you want but its an upgrade.

Steinberg could issue a Redeem Code to existing users which would allow them to purchase Cubasis 3 at a discounted price. I am not asking for anything for free, just don't forget loyal users.

Thanks.

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf »

As a longtime Cubasis user I got more than enough for what I paid, up to Cubase 2.8. I don't need or want a redeem code, and readily paid the price for Cubase 3, just because I strongly welcome and support that kind of development!

Still, I think that users, who just bought Cubasis 2 one or two months ago, should get their redeem code. It's obvious that they will want to use Cubasis 3 now, and their payment for Cubasis 2 would become a misinvestment, after such a short period of use. Steinberg should have second thougths on that.

Macken

Post by Macken »

LSlowak, It doesn't matter how many new features are included. As far as I can see, we are all on board paying for this upgrade. What annoys your customers, and will cost Steinberg sales, is that we are requested to pay full retail price for an upgrade! Cubase, Nuendo, WaveLab and Steinbergs other software would die immediately, if you tried this model with them.

Please, rethink this bad business strategy. We would all (Steinberg as well as its customers) benefit from this.

InLightTone

Post by InLightTone »

Imagine if Steinberg re-wrote Cubase Pro from scratch (which is a good idea) and then announced that it would cost $600 even for existing long time customers. That wouldn't fly well. There should be an upgrade price from Cubasis 2...

alexparty

Post by alexparty »

I don't agree with the policy of steinberg and I'll keep the old cubasis 2. Also because I use it only a little. I don't agree because by buying cubasis 3 again you charge us twice for the software. We should pay for a purchase of cubasis 2 that we have already made and in addition a new purchases of cubasis 3. That is, you charge to an old cubasis user 50 euros more, for who has paid 50 euros for the old software + 50 euros for the new one. Total 100 euros instead of 50 euros compared to the first time buyer. I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you. :roll:

rtorstrick

Post by rtorstrick »

Perhaps a more appropriate strategy for current owners: If the new features would make your life substantially easier, go ahead and update now. Personally, I plan to wait.

Lars, I appreciate your reasoning regarding the code rewrite. It makes sense from the developer's perspective. For me as an end user, I don't care about the code, only about the functionality. So I have to decide based on the usefulness to me and my workflow. The new version is of interest to me only if the new functionality is worth the price. As future updates continue to add features, there will undoubtedly come a time when the balance favors buying the new version.

There has been a periodic half-price sale every once in a while. If this continues, it may make the price/benefits balance come sooner.
Windows 10
Cubase 10.5, Halion 6.30, Wavelab 10, Dorico 3.1
Intel Core i5, 32 Gb RAM, Z390 Aorus Pro mobo, 1 Tb SATA SSD system drive, 2x2TB SATA media drives,
G-Drive 3TB USB 3 drive.
UAD Apollo Mk II Quad (TB), Steinberg UR-RT 2, Steinberg MR816csx, Yamaha KX8, CC121, UAD-2 Duo (Pcie)

Return to “Cubasis 3 for iOS”