Cubasis 3 Free to Upgrade?

Post questions and find answers on Cubasis 3 for iOS here.
LSlowak
Steinberg Employee

Re: Cubasis 3 Free to Upgrade?

Post by LSlowak »

Dear all,

Please allow me to paste an answer, I've just posted in a similar forum topic here:

Hi MMoorman, Hi all,

Thank you for your message.

The iOS app market works different, compared to the desktop world, and is fully managed by Apple.
While we're able to offer separate update options for our desktop applications, none of this is available for iOS (except for a subscription model).

Cubasis 1 and Cubasis 2 have seen more than thirty updates including many feature additions between 2012 to 2019.
All of these updates have come free of charge for our existing customers.

Unfortunately, developing software does not come for free. In the case of Cubasis 3, the app has been developed from scratch, and took our full team several years in making. Cubasis 3 offers a brand new iPhone version, and comes with more than twenty user-requested features.

I hope for your understanding, that the app is currently sold at its regular price, after many years of free Cubasis updates.
Nevertheless, we will see what we can do in offering future promos.

Best wishes,
Lars
Lars Slowak - Project Management & Team lead Cubasis
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook

Chuck Yaeger

Post by Chuck Yaeger »

Thats how you loose customers.
I´m a Cubase User since Version 1.0 (ATARI/Midi Only), but now i´m out!
You didn´t solve the problems from Cubasis2 and the "completly new writen" Code still have the same major problems and only minor features.
To Pay the full price again for only a new Version Number is not nice. Even if the new Version is better than the old, there should be a way to Upgrade.

Theis

Post by Theis »

I bought cubasis 2, December 20, 2019. About two days after release of version 3. The app-store description didn’t tell there was a newer version. Yesterday I bought the very expensive version 3, because I want the newest version of course. It seemed that there was no upgrade price for owners of previous versions. I had to google it because I couldn’t believe my eyes. Thats how I found this forum and found that I was not the only one wondering.
I want a full refund of version 2.
I only use Cubasis to make quick sketches that I import to Cubase 10.5.
I tried Cubasis 3 now, for about 30 minutes and wanted to share some frustrations: The glue tool doesn’t really work. It should be able to glue 2 midi parts that’s aligned side by side.
Cubasis chords should really have those chord presets where you can load all the minor and major scales into the pads. Cubase had those presets for years why not use them here. At least the scales. Also the other presets like most used chords and stuff.

I cannot recommend Cubasis 3 to anyone over Cubasis 2.

I teach a lot of students in Cubase 10.5 but won’t recommend steinberg anymore in general, cause I’m *quiz* about this app pricing.

Steinberg please don’t treat your supporters like this.

Mantahoe

Post by Mantahoe »

Theis wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm
I bought cubasis 2, December 20, 2019. About two days after release of version 3. The app-store description didn’t tell there was a newer version. Yesterday I bought the very expensive version 3, because I want the newest version of course. It seemed that there was no upgrade price for owners of previous versions. I had to google it because I couldn’t believe my eyes. Thats how I found this forum and found that I was not the only one wondering.
I want a full refund of version 2.
I only use Cubasis to make quick sketches that I import to Cubase 10.5.
I tried Cubasis 3 now, for about 30 minutes and wanted to share some frustrations: The glue tool doesn’t really work. It should be able to glue 2 midi parts that’s aligned side by side.
Cubasis chords should really have those chord presets where you can load all the minor and major scales into the pads. Cubase had those presets for years why not use them here. At least the scales. Also the other presets like most used chords and stuff.

I cannot recommend Cubasis 3 to anyone over Cubasis 2.

I teach a lot of students in Cubase 10.5 but won’t recommend steinberg anymore in general, cause I’m *quiz* about this app pricing.

Steinberg please don’t treat your supporters like this.
I believe you can open a case with iTunes/App Store and they will issue a refund. I got a refund even while it was out of the 14 day refund policy. Try...

mozizo

Post by mozizo »

michaelschutz wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:01 pm
A $50 iPad app with no upgrade pricing is a huge disappointment. I wasn't expecting a free update, but to be expected to pay full price is a bit of a shock. This is incentive for me to stay on v2, for sure.
+1
in person i dont upgrade cuz my ipad not support it and anyway i barley use it.
but its some tricky move from steinberg sales to charge full price for cubasis 2 owners. its like if they will rewrite cubase from scratch and charge full price for cubase users (of course the charges/prices are not relative but you know what i mean)
their pricing seems odd lately in some areas 'like upgrade from groove agent 4 to GA5 for 100$ where 179 is for full version. (well now GA is on sale 50% off maybe ill upgrade :D )
cubase 10.5 pro ,halion 6 GA5 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

omniphonix

Post by omniphonix »

LSlowak wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:43 am
The iOS app market works different, compared to the desktop world, and is fully managed by Apple.
While we're able to offer separate update options for our desktop applications, none of this is available for iOS (except for a subscription model).
Lars, I have to refute this every time I see you post it. There IS a way to offer upgrade pricing in the App Store as other audio developers (VirSyn and Klevgrand are 2 examples) have shown. You put Cubasis 2 and Cubasis 3 in a bundle and set that bundle's price the same as the full price of Cubasis 3. For customers that have Cubasis 2 already in their account, they will be offered a "Complete My Bundle" option at a reduced price that (as far as I know) can be set by Steinberg. I don't think anyone is expecting Cubasis 3 to be free, but reduced upgrade pricing for existing customers is the norm in this industry and the norm for Steinberg on all other platforms.

Here are the examples I referenced:

Haaze 2 Upgrade

VoxSyn Pro Upgrade
Main DAW: Core i9-7940X | 64GB DDR4 3200 | Asus Prime X299-A | Radeon RX570 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB & 850 Evo 2TB | Acer T272HUL | UR824 | CC121 | Virus TI | MCU Pro | Akai MPD232 | Nektar Panorama P6 | Roland VG-99 | Win10 Pro x64 v1809 | Cubase Pro 10 | Reason 10

DAW/Gig NB: MSI GT76 9SG | Core i9-9900K | 64GB DDR4 2666 | RTX 2080 8GB | 2x PM981 512GB NVMe SSD RAID0 | 860 QVO 2TB SATA SSD | iConnect Audio4+ | Akai APC40 mkII | Akai MPK249 | Win10 Pro x64 v1809 | Cubase Pro 10 | Ableton Live 10

iPad Pro 12.9" Gen 3 1TB: Same Audio4+ as above | CME Xkey 37 | Cubasis 2 | Cubase iC Pro | Many IAA/AU Apps

Jimbo1000

Post by Jimbo1000 »

Well said. Steinberg, please sort this out, or you will have no Cubasis 3 purchase from me.

chamika1985

Post by chamika1985 »

Dear All,

Im a skilled pianist from sri Lanka which is a non-developped country. i really wish that i could obtain cubase pro 10 full version for a cheaper price to unleash my creativity (hope you won't laugh) seriously having financial restrictions. just wondering if there is any way around it to get it for a cheaper rate

really appreciate it for your kind support

LSlowak
Steinberg Employee

Post by LSlowak »

Hi all,

When releasing Cubasis 3 we've recieved many update requests.

In line with our current Cubasis Sale, I'm reflecting on this topic in this Cubasis 3 Sale Statement article.

Please make sure to stay healthy!

Best wishes,
Lars
Lars Slowak - Project Management & Team lead Cubasis
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook

Return to “Cubasis 3 for iOS”