New UR-C audio interfaces released

This section is about Steinberg's UR-C audio interfaces product range
Stefan Schreiber

New UR-C audio interfaces released

Post by Stefan Schreiber »

We are happy to announce our new UR-C audio interface line up.

The new range of UR-C USB 3.0 audio interfaces with 32-bit/192 kHz resolution and USB-C connectivity comprise the UR22C, UR44C, UR816C & UR22C Recording Pack.

All models provide latency-free monitoring with dsp-powered effects as well as D-PRE mic preamps, MIDI connectivity and full support for Windows, Mac and iOS devices.

Please find more information about the UR-C interface family here.
Stefan Schreiber - Senior Marketing Manager Hardware
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud

Marbles

Re: New UR-C audio interfaces released

Post by Marbles »

Hi Stefan,

That's great news! Congrats! My MR816x is about to retire I think, so the UR816C would be the natural succesor for me.

Maybe I'm too quick in asking (I feel rude to), but: Is it possible to bypass the pre-amp on the line-in? I had no problem with the preamps on the 816 for line-ins but am just curious.

Also: Is the master volume control separate for just the main outs? On the MR816X I could not use the master volume cause it controlled all the outputs, so also the signal was feeding my compressors through another output.

See it has midi connections, that's great! It is on my wish list.

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan »

I see some pictures of the 816 as a rack mount and some not. Maybe an option? Just wondering.

Actually, some new pictures were posted. It looks like the rack mounting brackets are removable...
Last edited by jaslan on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

So can these be plugged into a Thunderbolt port?

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan »

ilmolto wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:25 pm
I don't know the answer here but I will say that I have done a little research and it is worth noting that Thunderbolt 3 uses a USB-C connector but it is not the same as USB 3.1. The UR-C may still be compatible with TB-3, though... The specs don't really say.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

jaslan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:24 pm
ilmolto wrote:
I don't know the answer here but I will say that I have done a little research and it is worth noting that Thunderbolt 3 uses a USB-C connector but it is not the same as USB 3.1. The UR-C may still be compatible with TB-3, though... The specs don't really say.
Correct. From what I’ve read, USB 3.1 can be plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 port but a Thunderbolt 3 device cannot be plugged into a USB 3.1 port.

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

jaslan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:23 pm
I see some pictures of the 816 as a rack mount and some not. Maybe an option? Just wondering.

Actually, some new pictures were posted. It looks like the rack mounting brackets are removable...
Indeed, the rack mount brackets can be removed.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

ilmolto wrote:
So no one from Steinberg can confirm?

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

Sorry, your assumption was correct and I thought that no answer was necessary anymore :) So, yes, a Thunderbolt 3 port can be used for USB 3.1 but not vice versa.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

Ed Doll wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:13 am
Sorry, your assumption was correct and I thought that no answer was necessary anymore :) So, yes, a Thunderbolt 3 port can be used for USB 3.1 but not vice versa.
Good news. And will we need to buy the USB C to USB C cable or will it come with it?

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

Unfortunately, you will have to buy a cable for that purpose. There is only a USB-C to USB-A cable included.
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... quirements
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

Ed Doll wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:17 am
Unfortunately, you will have to buy a cable for that purpose. There is only a USB-C to USB-A cable included.
Ok no problem. Thanks for the info.

guybuss

Post by guybuss »

No AES output on any of them? I'm wanting to upgrade from RME HDSP 9632 but without AES I can't feed my Genelec 8250's. Any reasonable work around?

Hurmpie

Post by Hurmpie »

Do these new interfaces have an improved ASIO performance over USB-C compared to USB2 and/or the old UR line?
Or does this make no difference?

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

Hurmpie wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:24 pm
Do these new interfaces have an improved ASIO performance over USB-C compared to USB2 and/or the old UR line?
Or does this make no difference?
There is an improvement compared to the previous line of UR interfaces but that is not related to USB 3.0 or USB-C but rather to the hardware design and the driver. On Windows there are three driver modes to choose from (Low Latency/Standard/Stable). Low Latency needs a bit more CPU load but that should be fine on modern systems with good components and drivers.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

Any idea when these will be available?

I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

ilmolto wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:00 am
Any idea when these will be available?

I'm in Melbourne, Australia.
Not exactly, unfortunately. They have been shipped and it depends on the logistics and warehouses when exactly they will be available worldwide.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

Hurmpie

Post by Hurmpie »

Thank you for a clear answer. Interesting to see different available driver modes.

Marbles

Post by Marbles »

Marbles wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:24 pm
Hi Stefan,

That's great news! Congrats! My MR816x is about to retire I think, so the UR816C would be the natural succesor for me.

Maybe I'm too quick in asking (I feel rude to), but: Is it possible to bypass the pre-amp on the line-in? I had no problem with the preamps on the 816 for line-ins but am just curious.

Also: Is the master volume control separate for just the main outs? On the MR816X I could not use the master volume cause it controlled all the outputs, so also the signal was feeding my compressors through another output.

See it has midi connections, that's great! It is on my wish list.
Hi Stefan, any idea if this is known yet?

ilmolto

Post by ilmolto »

Ed Doll wrote:
So the new UR-C audio interfaces are available at my local store.

I just want to ask if this cable is recommended to use as I’d like to use more of my Thunderbolt ports and free up the USB ports on my Mac.

Can you confirm that this cable will do the job? Thank you.

https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/pr ... rging.html

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

ilmolto wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:54 pm
Ed Doll wrote:
So the new UR-C audio interfaces are available at my local store.

I just want to ask if this cable is recommended to use as I’d like to use more of my Thunderbolt ports and free up the USB ports on my Mac.

Can you confirm that this cable will do the job? Thank you.

https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/pr ... rging.html
Thank you for your interest! The cable should be okay indeed.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea »

Just an remark over here.

I saw the announcement that the development of drivers is ceased on the MR soundcard range. JUst as I wanted to but the new URC sound device I took notion of this devlopment.

To say it as it is, I'm disappointed. I've had this many times with manufacturers products which still function 100% become unusable as I switched to new OS platform and didn't have an driver for this platform.

I'm now considering RME products as they have a very long extended life support on drivers.

Steinberg please consider the negative effects when abondoning your own users and own platfrom products!
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll »

mroekalea wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:53 pm
Just an remark over here.

I saw the announcement that the development of drivers is ceased on the MR soundcard range. JUst as I wanted to but the new URC sound device I took notion of this devlopment.

To say it as it is, I'm disappointed. I've had this many times with manufacturers products which still function 100% become unusable as I switched to new OS platform and didn't have an driver for this platform.

I'm now considering RME products as they have a very long extended life support on drivers.

Steinberg please consider the negative effects when abondoning your own users and own platfrom products!
Thank you for your feedback! The situation with the UR series being a USB based series is a little different though.
The MR816 has been in the market for 11 years and is a Firewire based interface. Firewire is dead and there are no new systems out there offering direct compatibility without adapters etc.
In addition the OS support for Firewire hasn't exactly been improved over the last years - quite the opposite. It still works fine on most Windows systems for the time being and it also works on macOS up to Mojave. For Catalina as a 64-bit only OS, we would have to create a new driver and new 64-bit TOOLS. I am sorry to say but at a certain point, with a dead interface standard and new OS requirements, it is simply not possible to invest additional resources anymore.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

Marbles

Post by Marbles »

Hi Ed,

As a user of the dropped MR616 I sort of understand what you're saying. Although I'm also kind of surprised since your support page has been saying your team has been testing the drivers you say are useless to develop for the last year when it came to Mojave. But I see it's updated so it's just working as is.

After 11 years I understand that I have to replace it sometime. There are companies that sell interfaces with a longer lifespan, but that could be because of usb like you mentioned. So my natural instinct was to go for this new interface. There has been 1 thing bugging me about the mr816 and that is that it's incompatible with external hardware. So I have asked if that is fixed, or that I'm just dumb, but in this thread it has been ignored 3 times. I am assuming no one wants to answer, so I am giving you one more chance to sell this item.

When you use the master volume of this new interface. Will it only affect the master out? Or will the extra volume go to all of the outputs?

In other words: If I have a compressor connected as external effect on output 3. And I want to turn up my speaker/main out volume, will this mess up my compressor settings cause the volume of output 3 will also be higher cause of the mastervolume dial?

If Steinberg does not want to answer, can somebody else? I have had to buy a separate monitor controller because of this. Am I just dumb or is this just a design incompatible with my workflow and is it also in the new interface?

wetstreet

Post by wetstreet »

ilmolto wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:46 am
Ed Doll wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:13 am
Good news. And will we need to buy the USB C to USB C cable or will it come with it?
Other than this , if wrong cable n connection is made , the( C type connector goes in both ways ) from what i read .. U could damage the ports forever .. as it transmits 40/100 watts of power ?? hope Steinberg clarifies this , thoroughly , and mark the cables accordingly .. so far too much confusion on the USB 3..0 /3.1 n the thunderbolt .. how about companies stuck to protocols , n dont put non technical people in this situation ..

Return to “Steinberg UR-C Series”