Switch track from mono to stereo

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
Post Reply
kampot
Junior Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by kampot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:20 pm

Simple yet very important feature: to Switch track from mono to stereo. Alot of free DAWs can do this , but not cubase

jules
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:07 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by jules » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:02 am

+1 ! A two way switch should be even better.
W10 64, Asus prime Z370 a, i7 8700k, 64g ram, ssds, cubase pro 10

leonardm
Junior Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:06 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by leonardm » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:23 am

Cubase 10 has a tool for switching mono to stereo or vice versa.
Check the menu item : Project > Convert Track
Assign a shortcut for "multi-channel to mono" and another for "mono to multi-channel" and Voilà
Leonard Mule, sound engineer / producer
www.poissonbarbu.com / www.leonardmule.com
Cubase Pro + Win 10 (both last update)

ricmat
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by ricmat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 pm

I agree... and whilst you're at it, the ability to replace any type of track with another, without removing the routing, inserts and other parameters... This would allow us to edit our very large templates much more easily.

User avatar
soundpeaks_net
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by soundpeaks_net » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm

this is fu**ing dumbest thing I've ever heard people want in Cubase.I hope this will never happen. 💩

ricmat
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by ricmat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm

soundpeaks_net wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm
this is fu**ing dumbest thing I've ever heard people want in Cubase.I hope this will never happen. 💩
Bashing others people's ideas and using offensive language is far more dumb and futile, not to mention ignorant. Shows a real lack of intelligence.

How about actually explaining why you think the idea is dumb, and be constructive about it? Maybe others will understand you better.... going off on a rant without even giving a reason is pathetic pal.

User avatar
soundpeaks_net
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by soundpeaks_net » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:29 pm

ricmat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm
...
because I am at this forum for a long time, this mono\stereo begging are here for ages and nobody actually said why it should be implemented. I can't even figure out why would anybody want to do it. What's up with it? Aren't you able to put a mono clip on a stereo track or stereo on a mono? Aren't you able to conver\merge\substract\flip\balance an audio clip already. Do you actually know what is going on behind the scene in the arrangement track and how audio engine handles this. Anybody asked themselves why isn't it still implemented if that's so easy? What about consistency? Why some track should magically become some other track? Let's go further and ask to convert a signature track into a midi or an audio into a time-track. A button that makes a shitty mix a production ready masterpiece won't harm too.

Really, go and check FR of other people. It looks like they have just started to use Cubase and don't even get what is really important and what is not. And they think that hanging out at the forum will make their mixes better.

While Cubase are in lack of some crucial things like MIDI macros (to easy bind one controller to multiple instruments at once), maybe a built-in osciloscope \ fader vst (so you needn't to download free 3rd party stuff all the time), good virgin zones implementation, offline processing presets, UI fixes, etc etc etc

ricmat
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by ricmat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm

soundpeaks_net wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:29 pm
ricmat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm
...
because I am at this forum for a long time, this mono\stereo begging are here for ages and nobody actually said why it should be implemented. I can't even figure out why would anybody want to do it. What's up with it? Aren't you able to put a mono clip on a stereo track or stereo on a mono? Aren't you able to conver\merge\substract\flip\balance an audio clip already. Do you actually know what is going on behind the scene in the arrangement track and how audio engine handles this. Anybody asked themselves why isn't it still implemented if that's so easy? What about consistency? Why some track should magically become some other track? Let's go further and ask to convert a signature track into a midi or an audio into a time-track. A button that makes a *flower* mix a production ready masterpiece won't harm too.

Really, go and check FR of other people. It looks like they have just started to use Cubase and don't even get what is really important and what is not. And they think that hanging out at the forum will make their mixes better.

While Cubase are in lack of some crucial things like MIDI macros (to easy bind one controller to multiple instruments at once), maybe a built-in osciloscope \ fader vst (so you needn't to download free 3rd party stuff all the time), good virgin zones implementation, offline processing presets, UI fixes, etc etc etc
Dude, if people have just started to use Cubase, they won't fully know what they're doing will they? I'm still learning to use features of Cubase after 10+ years. What is this chip on your shoulder about features "making mixes sound better" and "dumb people" - no one said that these "buttons" will make mixes sound better... but the reason I would quite like to be able to replace track types is because:

I've just spent two hours making a template to try out using a number of sampler tracks, and realised that with a template of 60+ channels that having many of them as samplers just gets too buggy.... wouldn't it be super useful to be able to replace all sampler tracks with audio tracks without losing any routing or inserts you have set up?

User avatar
soundpeaks_net
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by soundpeaks_net » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 pm

ricmat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm
soundpeaks_net wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:29 pm
ricmat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm
...
because I am at this forum for a long time, this mono\stereo begging are here for ages and nobody actually said why it should be implemented. I can't even figure out why would anybody want to do it. What's up with it? Aren't you able to put a mono clip on a ster....
Dude, if people have ....
How does your problem attached to the mono\stereo track transform feature requesst?

To reply to you problem I'd do this. You can select tool numer 2 and select all \ few semple tracks and do "render in place" + transfer channel settings

Image

You will make it and you get sampled audio with inserts.

Image

And now you can delete sample-tracks. New Audio tracks keeps routing too.

ricmat
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by ricmat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 pm

soundpeaks_net wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 pm
ricmat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm
soundpeaks_net wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:29 pm


because I am at this forum for a long time, this mono\stereo begging are here for ages and nobody actually said why it should be implemented. I can't even figure out why would anybody want to do it. What's up with it? Aren't you able to put a mono clip on a ster....
Dude, if people have ....
How does your problem attached to the mono\stereo track transform feature requesst?

To reply to you problem I'd do this. You can select tool numer 2 and select all \ few semple tracks and do "render in place" + transfer channel settings

Image

You will make it and you get sampled audio with inserts.

Image

And now you can delete sample-tracks. New Audio tracks keeps routing too.

It's not directly related but I just brought up while we are discussing converting channels from mono to stereo. Why not be able to convert audio to sampler?

The method you have suggested is very welcome indeed and thanks (I should have thought of that), but it still is only a workaround and more a side-effect of what render in place is supposed to be used for as opposed to a dedicated right-click option such as "replace track with..."

User avatar
soundpeaks_net
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by soundpeaks_net » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm

ricmat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 pm

It's not directly related but I just brought up while we are discussing converting channels from mono to stereo. Why not be able to convert audio to sampler?

The method you have suggested is very welcome indeed and thanks (I should have thought of that), but it still is only a workaround and more a side-effect of what render in place is supposed to be used for as opposed to a dedicated right-click option such as "replace track with..."
I see a lot of disadvantages in the method you say.
1) hard to implement redo\undo functionality because a lot of stuff happens behind your back.
2) you don't need to render in place 1 hour project just to get 5 sec audio from MIDI part
3) you cant set locators, the whole midi \ sampler track will dissapear and huge audi file with tonnes of silence will appear
That's ridiculous, really.


So basically your request is to make steps 1,2,3 that Cubase already offers into a one giant step that is hard to be managed and tweaked. To me, it is a superficial approach into doing things.

ricmat
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by ricmat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 pm

soundpeaks_net wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm
ricmat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 pm

It's not directly related but I just brought up while we are discussing converting channels from mono to stereo. Why not be able to convert audio to sampler?

The method you have suggested is very welcome indeed and thanks (I should have thought of that), but it still is only a workaround and more a side-effect of what render in place is supposed to be used for as opposed to a dedicated right-click option such as "replace track with..."
I see a lot of disadvantages in the method you say.
1) hard to implement redo\undo functionality because a lot of stuff happens behind your back.
2) you don't need to render in place 1 hour project just to get 5 sec audio from MIDI part
3) you cant set locators, the whole midi \ sampler track will dissapear and huge audi file with tonnes of silence will appear
That's ridiculous, really.


So basically your request is to make steps 1,2,3 that Cubase already offers into a one giant step that is hard to be managed and tweaked. To me, it is a superficial approach into doing things.

Ok now we're actually discussing why you think it's a bad idea - great! I don't know anything about software development/how difficult this is to implement. So you may very well be correct about stuff going on behind the scenes for it to function.

Renesas
New Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:43 am

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by Renesas » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Huge +1

User avatar
Arionas
Junior Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:43 am
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by Arionas » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:32 am

+1
Cubase Pro 10 - Wavelab 9.5 - Nuendo 4 - Reaper 5 - Pro Tools 12 - Logic X - Harrison Mixbus
Mac Pro 4.1 - OSX 10.10.5 - RME Fireface 802

Kaya Orsan
New Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by Kaya Orsan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:31 am

soundpeaks_net wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm
this is fu**ing dumbest thing I've ever heard people want in Cubase.I hope this will never happen. 💩
Can I make a feature request to ban angry teenagers from the forum?

User avatar
soundpeaks_net
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by soundpeaks_net » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:22 am

Kaya Orsan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:31 am
soundpeaks_net wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm
this is fu**ing dumbest thing I've ever heard people want in Cubase.I hope this will never happen. 💩
Can I make a feature request to ban angry teenagers from the forum?
Can I make a request to ban annoying feature-requesters that don't know how to use s e a r c h?

Musicmould
Junior Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:18 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by Musicmould » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:15 am

soundpeaks_net wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:29 pm
because I am at this forum for a long time, this mono\stereo begging are here for ages and nobody actually said why it should be implemented. I can't even figure out why would anybody want to do it.
So just because you don’t understand it, then nobody else should even ask for it? Please. Keep your childish tantrums to yourself.

This has been a feature in Logic for ages and it’s brilliant. If you for instance want to put a stereo chorus on a mono track - go ahead. Of course you could do that in Cubase but it requires a lot more steps, creating a stereo track, moving the audio to the new track, routing and so on.

A feature that might be crucial for one person might be utterly pointless to another. That’s just the way the world spins. Attacking others or losing your temper over feature requests doesn’t do anyone any good.
Cubase Pro 10.0.30 | Pro Tools | Ableton Live | Logic Pro X | Studio One | Melodyne Studio | Revoice Pro | VSL Pro |
Mac OS X 10.14.5 | iMac Pro, 32Gb Ram| UAD Apollo 8p+16 | 2xUAD Octo | Softube Console 1 | Motu Midi Express XT |
Various drummachines, microphones, hardware synths & fx and way too many plugins |

"Without music, life would be a mistake".

mitchiemasha
Member
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by mitchiemasha » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm

They could add their request to the already existing request thread.
W10, CP10, i7 9700k, Noctua NH-U9S, MSI z390, 16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4, PCIe NVME 970 Pro, AC-1 Carillon Case, Be Quiet Straight Power 11, Virus TI (Integrated), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped), Novation Stations, Nord Rack 2, JV1080, 2x Presonus Firestudio, Dynaudio BM5's mkII & Eve SC305's.

User avatar
UaTem
New Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:01 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by UaTem » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:52 pm

I don't see a real reason for this feature for tracks but I really would like to have it for groups (because you never know will client's snare sampled track be mono or stereo -- so in my preset, I have both types of groups – mono and stereo; and just remove the unneeded group in a new mix every time).
Regards,
Artem

P.S. My English may not be perfect (but I try really hard)

mitchiemasha
Member
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by mitchiemasha » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:58 am

ricmat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 pm
It's not directly related but I just brought up while we are discussing converting channels from mono to stereo. Why not be able to convert audio to sampler?
WE do have 'Send to Sampler'. As I use RETURN for Bounce, Shift Return is my short cut to send whatever audio part is selected to become a Sampler Track.
W10, CP10, i7 9700k, Noctua NH-U9S, MSI z390, 16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4, PCIe NVME 970 Pro, AC-1 Carillon Case, Be Quiet Straight Power 11, Virus TI (Integrated), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped), Novation Stations, Nord Rack 2, JV1080, 2x Presonus Firestudio, Dynaudio BM5's mkII & Eve SC305's.

Falkomat
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:07 am
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by Falkomat » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Yes, switching Mono tracks to Stereo with a low click count is a badly needed must!!!
Example: 20 songs, 20 tracks each all recorded on Mono tracks
You want to use Izotope Visual Mixer on all 20 songs, because it gives your clients a comfortable visual way to join in on the mixing process.
It requires 20 Stereo tracks per song to make that work, it won't accept Mono tracks.
You want a speedy way to convert the tracks Mono>Stereo in that case.
And to be precise: You don't need stereo audiofiles, you just want the track/channel to behave in Stereo.
And it has to keep all sends/inserts.

The tedious work around atm is to duplicate each track one by one, and than convert them to stereo.
It should go like this: Select multiple tracks > convert Mono channel to Stereo channel > done.

Steinberg, come on, this is easy.
Cubase Pro 10.0.10., Windows 10, 256GB SSD, 1TB HD, 32GB RAM, GeForce 780M 4GB RAM.
TC Konnekt 48, Audient ID4,

User avatar
Arionas
Junior Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:43 am
Contact:

Re: Switch track from mono to stereo

Post by Arionas » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:35 pm

+1000
Cubase Pro 10 - Wavelab 9.5 - Nuendo 4 - Reaper 5 - Pro Tools 12 - Logic X - Harrison Mixbus
Mac Pro 4.1 - OSX 10.10.5 - RME Fireface 802

Post Reply

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: duca55 and 2 guests