Cubase 9.5 Features in Nuendo 8 - When?

Post general topics related to Nuendo 8 here.
Getalife2

Re: Cubase 9.5 Features in Nuendo 8 - When?

Post by Getalife2 »

In_Stereo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:08 am

I wouldn't bother with Nuendo at this point. Cubase 9.5 is ahead of it in certain key ways, and for what you're doing you wouldn't need the post-specific things Nuendo has.
Agree completely. I primarily make music and I'm seriously considering buying Cubase even just having paid to upgrade to Nuendo 8.

I don't really want to make the time investment into arguing about what Steinberg should or shouldn't do since they get to decide for themselves, obviously. It just seems to me that Cubase has pushed so far ahead of Nuendo on a lot of key music making and workflow features it now outweighs the last of the differentiating factors within Nuendo for me. To think Nuendo was suddenly going to have everything in Cubase plus everything it has now plus more that works 100% properly is a bit naive and in the long run not worth the aggravation of clamoring for it.

To the various people here expressing their disappointment. At some point a few hundred dollars to make a change outweighs the wasted time and frustration. If, when you sit down in front of your system, you begin working with a sense of aggravation because of philosophical choices made by the company, I think you should have a look at what your time is worth. Life is short.
N10.3 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4 GHz Win 7 Pro 64bit - RME MADI FX - 3X UAD-2 Quad

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

Blip wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm
I get that not having Cubase features in Nuendo is unsatisfying, but how is not having post-features in Cubase different from the Pro Tools / Pro Tools HD?
All the fancy post-stuff like Surround / Atmos / Ambisonics mixing, Field Recorder workflow, multiple video tracks and so on is HD-only, too, isn't it?
I had upgraded to Pro Tools HD from regular Pro Tools (after being on Pro Tools for about 8 years) a few months before I switched to Cubase, and it does have some other little extra things that are fine, but the things you specifically mentioned are things that I don't use for composing (or for mixing in my case, but that's just me), nor the vast majority of composers I would guess, unless they also mix in those formats and need multiple video tracks -- I'm sure some do, but again I would guess that the majority don't.

For Cubase to be marketed as being the best for music (which includes composing to picture for so many of us) it needs to have features like edit mode, export video with audio, and some other little things that are all standard in the regular Pro Tools. These things are huge for composing to pic.

For me, I would happily pay to upgrade to Nuendo to get these features plus the most current Cubase features. But I don't know if that ever will be, so I need to decide if I can live with the crippling of Cubase in these ways for composing, or go somewhere else.
Last edited by In_Stereo on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

Getalife2 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm
To think Nuendo was suddenly going to have everything in Cubase plus everything it has now plus more that works 100% properly is a bit naive and in the long run not worth the aggravation of clamoring for it.

I hear you. But just look at Avid, who has Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD, where HD has every feature of the most up-to-date Pro Tools, plus the additional advanced features for post mixing and editing. It might not be easy for Steinberg to make that switch quickly, but it must be done.
Last edited by In_Stereo on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Tumppi Järnefelt

Post by Tumppi Järnefelt »

Blip wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:19 pm
profdraper wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:18 am
Still, some of Cubase right now is artificially crippled by comparison to many competitors because of the 'artificial' lack of post- features that appear to be enforced, simply because of distinction between the two programs /price-points.
In_Stereo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 am
I came from Pro Tools to Cubase a couple of years ago, and Pro Tools is far more advanced than Cubase with features that for some absurd reason are only in Nuendo [...]
I get that not having Cubase features in Nuendo is unsatisfying, but how is not having post-features in Cubase different from the Pro Tools / Pro Tools HD?
All the fancy post-stuff like Surround / Atmos / Ambisonics mixing, Field Recorder workflow, multiple video tracks and so on is HD-only, too, isn't it?
And not only these. Automation is so amputated in PT. Only Pt HD has full automation features.
Intel i7-7700 @3.6 GHz, Win10 home, 64bit
ADK laptop i7, Win7 64bit home
Nuendo 8.xx
Nuendo 10.xx
PT 12.5
RME FF800
DTouch
http://www.finnvox.fi/en/cinepost

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

Tumppi Järnefelt wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:22 pm
And not only these. Automation is so amputated in PT. Only Pt HD has full automation features.
Totally true. But when you buy Pro Tools HD you get all of the most current Pro Tools features plus the added features of HD, whereas Nuendo has some more advanced features over Cubase, but is not up to the level of the most recent Cubase features and improvements in other ways. Cubase doesn't have some of the more advanced automation features of Nuendo, as one example, but Nuendo does not have many of the more advanced/current music and GUI/workflow features of Cubase. This is what needs to change in order to make paying more for Nuendo make sense to many of us.
Last edited by In_Stereo on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tumppi Järnefelt

I do understand that once you've started to use Cubase alongside Nuendo you may feel Nuendo is missing features.
I've never gone that road and for me Nuendo gets the job done more than well.
There are features I miss for sure. Like better location dialog metadata reading features and export video.
But still, compared to Pro tools HD and Cubase, Nuendo is the number one daw for post production featurewise.
Nuendo 8.xx
Nuendo 10.xx
PT 12.5
RME FF800
DTouch

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus »

TimoWildenhain wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:57 pm
ChrisPolus wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:16 pm
Finally, you stated that for DOP you had to rewrite a bigger chunk of older code. With a strengthened team, are there plans to also improve usability of the general interface of Nuendo and de-clutter it?
Oh yes, but that’s a huge task. However, we have an internal working group that analysis ways on how the application can be operated smoother and faster. One big step in that direction has been done with WaveLab 9 generation.
Timo, I just installed the trial version of Wavelab 9.5 and really like the user interface. It's snappy, looks modern, is flexible, follows a workflow / steps of tasks that are usually done in succession. It's well structured. It has a point of view one can wrap one's head around. And pretty quickly so. I had some troubles at first with how the UI is structured but the beauty of a UI with a point of view and a logical structure is that once you get the logic, you can estimate where a function could be you haven't used but you are looking for. And it worked pretty well with Wavelab for me. One can navigate in the app pretty quickly. It's really a great step forward from Nuendo in my opinion.

I also like the configuration section where you configure naming patterns and projects and don't wade through endless old option menus. It's all integrated in the app, very easy and quick to get to and to adjust things. There's an easy to get to button to save presets of all possible things in the interface. And I like the export and render functions where you can define name templates and if you want to export the whole file or marker regions. It seems really intuitive to me. Now if Nuendo could get SUCH a makeover that follows Wavelabs general idea of logic and structure, but specific for the Nuendo world, make everything as consistent as it seems to be in Wavelab, with a post production and game audio point of view, it would be HUGE!
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

DaniDonadi

Post by DaniDonadi »

I love how you can organize your montages and audio files into tabs on WL, everything gets routed to the master bus. My dream for Nuendo would’ve been to have tabs as well, I work on many small videos that need to have a consistant mix but with a different timecode, I love how WL does it, you can have a great overview of your project and its components, unfortunately it doesn’t have video support.

Dani
Dani Donadi
Composer/Producer
Donadi Media DBA Donadi Music Productions LLC
Music & Sounds for Film/TV/Video Games & Themed Attractions
WWW.DONADI.COM
Latest: Nuendo 10.3 - Cubase Pro 10.5 - WaveLab Pro 10 - Dorico 3.5 | MAC OS

profdraper

Post by profdraper »

In_Stereo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm
Tumppi Järnefelt wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:22 pm
Totally true. But when you buy Pro Tools HD you get all of the most current Pro Tools features plus the added features of HD, whereas Nuendo has some more advanced features over Cubase, but is not up to the level of the most recent Cubase features and improvements in other ways. Cubase doesn't have some of the more advanced automation features of Nuendo, as one example, but Nuendo does not have many of the more advanced/current music and GUI/workflow features of Cubase. This is what needs to change in order to make paying more for Nuendo make sense to many of us.
The single most enormous difference for me is re. ProTools HD horsepower and making full use of cores, threads and CPU power. This is simply light years away from what the Cubase or Nuendo engines can currently provide. IMO, this is exactly where Steinberg need to very much improve and catch up with DAWs like Logic, ProTools, Studio One etc. Especially ProTools HD horsepower (mix-down, plugs, overheads).

Personally, I'd much rather work in Steinberg DAWs for the overall far more thoughtful UI & VST /MIDI composition in particular. However, the lack of horsepower for is a real drag - yes, one can bounce, render, reduce cpu load etc but all of which takes far too much time and fiddling in my view. PTHD can do much of this real time & while maintaining low latency buffers on a native system. Consequently, I often end up with exported to PTHD. Try take it to 96k on Cubendo & is even more ridiculous. I notice two of the recent Steinberg surveys continue to raise this point about the audio engine; about time they got on with it to do a major re-write.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, Catalina 10.15.6, 2TB /192GB, Vega II Duo
8TB OWC Thunderbay 6 RAID 4, 2TB Sonnet M.2 4x4 RAID 0
MiniMon 4k, Dell U3419W, BenQ SW2700PT
Apollo x8, UAD-2 quad PCIe, FaderPort 16, KK S61, Push
Nuendo, Wavelab, ProTools, Logic, Live, FCPX, Resolve Studio 16

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

profdraper wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 pm
The single most enormous difference for me is re. ProTools HD horsepower and making full use of cores, threads and CPU power. This is simply light years away from what the Cubase or Nuendo engines can currently provide. IMO, this is exactly where Steinberg need to very much improve and catch up with DAWs like Logic, ProTools, Studio One etc. Especially ProTools HD horsepower (mix-down, plugs, overheads).

Personally, I'd much rather work in Steinberg DAWs for the overall far more thoughtful UI & VST /MIDI composition in particular. However, the lack of horsepower for is a real drag - yes, one can bounce, render, reduce cpu load etc but all of which takes far too much time and fiddling in my view. PTHD can do much of this real time & while maintaining low latency buffers on a native system. Consequently, I often end up with exported to PTHD. Try take it to 96k on Cubendo & is even more ridiculous. I notice two of the recent Steinberg surveys continue to raise this point about the audio engine; about time they got on with it to do a major re-write.
I agree completely. I come from Pro Tools (first non-HD then HD, as I said), and even the non-HD version has far more power than Cubase or Nuendo do as far as CPU use. Let's hope this is a priority for Steinberg, because they're lagging strongly behind quite a few others in this department, and we live in an age of incredibly powerful CPUs that Cubase/Nuendo should take full advantage of core and thread-wise.

Tumppi Järnefelt

Well, I need to be able to punch automation to loop. Very fundamental feature that is needed in every post work I do.
That is why a non HD pro Tools is totally out of the map for me. And no multichannel... Another deal breaker...
PT HD is of course different. But also more expensive than Nuendo.
I've yet to lack power from my Nuendo setups...
Nuendo 8.xx
Nuendo 10.xx
PT 12.5
RME FF800
DTouch

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain »

Hi all,

I hope this finds you well.

All features that have been introduced with Cubase Pro 9.5 will be made available to Nuendo 8 - for free.
We are currently in the process of merging different development branches so that the features can
be used with the current Nuendo 8 version.

This huge Nuendo 8 update is planned for May 2018.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Tumppi Järnefelt

TimoWildenhain wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:03 pm
Hi all,

All features that have been introduced with Cubase Pro 9.5 will be made available to Nuendo 8 - for free.
We are currently in the process of merging different development branches so that the features can

Thanks,
Timo
Cool!
Nuendo 8.xx
Nuendo 10.xx
PT 12.5
RME FF800
DTouch

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas »

Does this mean the maintenance/bugfix update for the (serious) saving corrupt session bug is postponed?
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings
https://aufnahme.myds.me

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 »

TimoWildenhain wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:03 pm
Hi all,

Thanks,
Timo
Wow. Did not see that coming. Very, very happy to hear that since I was about to pull the trigger on Cubase even though I have upgraded to N8.

Thank you, Steinberg, for stepping up to the plate on this. And thank you, Timo, for communicating with us more frequently than SB has in the past.

Much appreciated!

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 »

Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:51 pm
Does this mean the maintenance/bugfix update for the (serious) saving corrupt session bug is postponed?
Kind of not my business, but.......

Maybe a quick "Thanks, SB for listening and giving us ALL Cubase features in N8" would be a nice beginning to a post responding to this pretty major announcemet before launching back into more of "I'm not happy" land.

Just thinking out loud.

Side note. I have never had a corrupted project in Nuendo 8 to date. Just for the record.
Last edited by Getalife2 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rickard

Post by Rickard »

That is some very good news. I've been asking for the automation range tool (like PT) for years. Now that Cubase has it, it hurt to be so close and yet so far. This brings it much closer! Thanks Timo
Win10|i7|16gig ram|Orion 32+ with Madiface USB|N10|PT10 HD|UAD Quad x2| UM-3EX|Midex 8|Mackie Control + 2 extenders|too many mics and preamps to list

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff »

Dear decision makers at SB, this is highly appreciated. I started to believe that you share your management with the HSV. Good to know that this is not the case.
Signature has been removed.

Zinnematic

Post by Zinnematic »

I agree with the sentiments here that this is a positive step for SB in showing some good will to those who have bought in to an expensive software package. Thank you for making this decision.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Yay.

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus »

This sounds great. Cubse 9.5 has some nice features in the automation area I'm looking forward to.

Is this the first step of bringing Cubase and Nuendo closer together for a possible future complete codebase merge?

Or is this the normal process you described that changes are coming off the same DAW base branch and are implemented in the two product lines separately?
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain »

Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:51 pm
No no, not at all. This maintenance update is coming next week!

Thanks,
Timo
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain »

ChrisPolus wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:49 am
This sounds great. Cubse 9.5 has some nice features in the automation area I'm looking forward to.

Is this the first step of bringing Cubase and Nuendo closer together for a possible future complete codebase merge?

Or is this the normal process you described that changes are coming off the same DAW base branch and are implemented in the two product lines separately?
Well, yes and no.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts (don't remember exactly when that was), we're in a huge restructuring phase and
that will include are revised product release roadmap as well. It is a huge task, but you can expect, that the product
lifecycle of Nuendo will get shorter.

That means, features first introduced in Cubase will be available earlier. Also, new and important post-production, game audio and VR
features will be provided more frequently (not only every 18-24 months). That's what we're working on.
Professional Audio Unit
Hamburg, Germany

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus »

TimoWildenhain wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:22 pm
that will include are revised product release roadmap as well. It is a huge task, but you can expect, that the product lifecycle of Nuendo will get shorter.
Sounds great.

A big step for Steinberg I can imagine. All the best in the re-structuring phase, I imagine it must cost a lot of energy.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

Significant news -- I'm very happy to see this!

Return to “General”