Retrospective MIDI Record Greyed Out

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
cblotus

Retrospective MIDI Record Greyed Out

Post by cblotus »

Hey y'all, so I just laid down a long MIDI track without apparently pressing the Record button. I go to Transport, but Retrospective MIDI Record is greyed out...it's checked in my preferences, and I have a rather large buffer set for it, so what's the deal?

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Retrospective MIDI Record Greyed Out

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

If you want to use the Retrospective Record, you have to have a MIDI or an Instrument track in the project. The Record Enable button has to be enabled first. Only in this case is the MIDI data passing thru to Cubase, and you can catch them afterwards by using Retrospective record.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am
Hi,

If you want to use the Retrospective Record, you have to have a MIDI or an Instrument track in the project. The Record Enable button has to be enabled first. Only in this case is the MIDI data passing thru to Cubase, and you can catch them afterwards by using Retrospective record.
To clarify you don't need to have a Track Write Enabled while you are playing (but you can). However in order for the Retrospectively recorded data to get inserted onto the Track then you need to have a Track Record Enabled - which tells Cubase which Track to put the data on.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

raino wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 pm
Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Hi,

To clarify you don't need to have a Track Write Enabled while you are playing (but you can). However in order for the Retrospectively recorded data to get inserted onto the Track then you need to have a Track Record Enabled - which tells Cubase which Track to put the data on.
Hi,

But if none of the track is Record Enabled, then you don't get any data to the Retrospective Recorder. Or am I wrong?
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:02 pm
raino wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 pm
Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

But if none of the track is Record Enabled, then you don't get any data to the Retrospective Recorder. Or am I wrong?
No, you do. I just did that a few days ago. I think it must always be saving a buffer of whatever MIDI is coming in. I'll play around with it a bit when I'm at Cubase.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Ha, Raino, you're right. Only for printing the midi to the track is a record-enabled midi track needed. Just tried it with no tracks in the project at all. Kind of cool, and seriously on point for the feature.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

Return to “Issues”