Cubase 9.5 - Cannot load VST plugins in big projects

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
mart

Re: Cubase 9.5 - Cannot load VST plugins in big projects

Post by mart »

Its not just Steinberg its a Windows issue. Everyone affected needs to make separate complaints to the worst offender plugin vendors (UAD to name but one) to change the way their plugins fundamentally allocate their resources in a nutshell. Without doing that it will never be fixed!
Windows 10 Build 1909 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 10.5, Dorico 3 UAD-2 PCIe (1 x OCTO & 1 x Quad ), Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 with 32gb Slave PC.

Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

Hi All

Sorry to spam threads, but I want to make sure everyone hit by this knows that a solution is in the works, and is currently available in the latest Windows 10 Insider build.

The per-process FLS slot limit used to be 128 going back at least to Windows Vista. PCs have gotten more powerful, though, so folks are really starting to run up against that limit before running out of CPU / memory. Additionally, some more recent and complex plugins use quite a few of those slots themselves. So to unblock musicians, we've rewritten the code that does FLS allocation and bumped the slots up to over 4000.

Technical folks who want to test on a non-critical PC are encouraged to do so. For the rest: if there are no issues found, this update will be in the 19H1 release of Windows 10 later this year. DAW and plugin developers do not need to do anything as this change is in the OS.

Official post:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... ild-18312/

Synthtopia asked me a bunch of questions about it and therefore has more technical details for those of you who want a more in-depth explanation:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/ ... -your-daw/

Pete (Microsoft)
Pete Brown
Microsoft

marQs

Post by marQs »

Looking forward to that update (I usually don't) - this will be liberating!
Cubase 10.5 | WL 10 | Fireface UFX | UAD2 Octo (2x)/Quad PCI-e | Win10 Pro 64 | i7-7820 x | Asus Prime X299-A
http://www.secretsource.de
Authentic Drums - Sample Pack for Slate Trigger: https://www.authentic-audio.de/drum-sa ... e-trigger/

xanthos84

Post by xanthos84 »

Psychlist1972 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:43 pm
Hi All

Sorry to spam threads, but I want to make sure everyone hit by this knows that a solution is in the works, and is currently available in the latest Windows 10 Insider build.

The per-process FLS slot limit used to be 128 going back at least to Windows Vista. PCs have gotten more powerful, though, so folks are really starting to run up against that limit before running out of CPU / memory. Additionally, some more recent and complex plugins use quite a few of those slots themselves. So to unblock musicians, we've rewritten the code that does FLS allocation and bumped the slots up to over 4000.

Technical folks who want to test on a non-critical PC are encouraged to do so. For the rest: if there are no issues found, this update will be in the 19H1 release of Windows 10 later this year. DAW and plugin developers do not need to do anything as this change is in the OS.

Official post:

Synthtopia asked me a bunch of questions about it and therefore has more technical details for those of you who want a more in-depth explanation:

Pete (Microsoft)
Wow, someone from Microsoft directly replies to my thread which is now open for a long time.

And with awesome news, too. Thanks Pete!

Happy day today!

mart

Post by mart »

Psychlist1972 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:43 pm
Hi All

Official post:

Pete (Microsoft)
This is amazing news Pete.
Windows 10 Build 1909 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 10.5, Dorico 3 UAD-2 PCIe (1 x OCTO & 1 x Quad ), Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 with 32gb Slave PC.

uarte

Post by uarte »

Great news, Pete! Thanks for posting and more importantly, thanks for pushing this at Microsoft and getting some real, tangible results. Looking forward to the release!

emrah

Post by emrah »

joelalucas wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:27 am
Hey there. So I have been having this problem for years now. I recently tried the jbridge solution, and to my surprise it seems to have completely solved the problem. Although, it has only been a couple of days, but I am cautiously optimistic. What is puzzling to me though is that, if running 64-bit plugins through jbridge solves the problem, despite the shortcomings of Windows, or UAD and Waves software, can the problem be really that impossible to implement in Cubase? I know nothing about software programming and perhaps I am thinking too simplistically about it, but can't Steinberg or UAD write some code to do to the plug-ins, whatever jbridge is doing? Or is "jbridge guy" some reclusive coding maniac who won't share his secrets no matter how much money Yamaha throws at him?
Anyway, for about $25 CDN for jbridge, I'm back to work and not pulling my hair out (for the moment).
Hi there. How did you solve this problem by using Jbridge? i have same problem on Pro 8.5

Could you please tell me ? I have already jbridge and what should i do?
Last edited by emrah on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

emrah

Post by emrah »

xanthos84 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:09 am
workaround: use jbridge (you can also bridge 64bit to 64bit plugins)
with jbridge you can lift that limitation.
but as said, its only a workaround and steinberg should do something against it.
Could you please tell me how I can solve this limitation by jbridge? I have it and what should I do? I have only 64bit plugins.

emrah

Post by emrah »

Is there anyone who can tell me how can I solve this issue temporary by jbridge? Should I convert all x64 VSTs to jbridge x64 then scanning, adding them to in Cubase? And use jbridged VSTs ?

Return to “Issues”