Mystic / Spector don't sound right after first loading...

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
PTree

Mystic / Spector don't sound right after first loading...

Post by PTree »

Mystic and Spector don't work anymore correctly (at least this never happened in Cubase 8.5 Pro).

- Make a new empty project.
- Record a short track with either Mystic or Spector.
- Save the project, close it and open the project again.
- Play the track and it will sound so horrible that you think it may damage your speaker!
- Reload the instrument and it will sound fine.
- After next reopening of the project the bug will appear again.

Interestingly these problems don't happen with any third party plug-in but only with Steinbergs own Mystic or Spector (and maybe some others I haven't tried...)!

Cubase 9 Pro
Project-settings: 48 kHz / 24 Bit
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00 GHz
RAM: 32 GB

Regards, Konrad

artzmusic

Re: Mystic / Spector don't sound right after first loading...

Post by artzmusic »

I have the same problem over several versions of Cubase and involving 2 different computers. I have notes so that when I open a project with Spector I am reminded to change and then reload the correct instrument for each instance in the mix. I am surprised more people have not commented on this bug.

Currently using C 9 Pro, Win 10 Pro 64bit., Intel i7-7700 3.6 Ghz

ColinPark

Post by ColinPark »

I tried it with mystic in a non-empty project, and it seemed OK. But I did not quit Cubase, just saved/closed/opened.
Win 10 (64 bit), 3.5GHz i7-4770K, 32GB RAM, Sabertooth Z87, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, RME fireface UFX, Novation 61SL MkII keyboard controller, Yamaha HS7 monitors. Cubase Pro 10.5.20], HALion 6, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet; Ozone 8 Adv, Neutron 3 Adv, Rx7 Std; Sonarworks Ref 4; Melodyne Studio 4.2.4.001

rockoloco666

Post by rockoloco666 »

Is it loud? if it is it might be related to this viewtopic.php?f=253&t=128026

ColinPark

Post by ColinPark »

I'm not noticing any problems. I didn't find the spector being too loud problem, but maybe I didn't exactly duplicate the steps required to make it happen. I've never been big on the media rack.
Win 10 (64 bit), 3.5GHz i7-4770K, 32GB RAM, Sabertooth Z87, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, RME fireface UFX, Novation 61SL MkII keyboard controller, Yamaha HS7 monitors. Cubase Pro 10.5.20], HALion 6, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet; Ozone 8 Adv, Neutron 3 Adv, Rx7 Std; Sonarworks Ref 4; Melodyne Studio 4.2.4.001

dlf

Post by dlf »

This has been happening to me ever since I updated to 8.5. The sound would become very harsh and metallic randomly. I have to load up the sound again to get it to reset. I tried freezing the instrument but to no avail. Maybe the best solution would be to render it or to just avoid using it. These vsts have not had an update in a long while or maybe ever 🙄

Jcalla27

Post by Jcalla27 »

I'm having the same issue.

I'm a newbie at Cubase and was working on my first actual session a couple of days ago when this happened. I was running Cubase Pro 8.5.30 on macOS Sierra 10.12.6. So I thought to myself, maybe they fixed this in Cubase 9.5... So that gave me the final push to make a clean install of my Mac and try Cubase Pro 9.5, that way maybe I'd buy the upgrade at the end of the trial, but this time I'm running it (9.5.10) on Mavericks 10.9.5 which is unsupported, but it seemed that many people running Cubase 9.0 were having less issues on Mavericks to begin with, and Mavericks is just much faster than the newer OSs.

Results: It's happening in Cubase 9.5.10 as well.

Since I'm using presets, I found that simply re-choosing the presets corrected the issue (instead of completely removing the instrument from the slot).

Apparently this doesn't affect Prologue. It does affect Spector a little bit but Mystic a lot! Like the OP said, something that seems like it would ruin your monitors.

Funny, I try to move to Cubase after getting aggressive loud noises with Pro Tools 12.8.3, only to get these issues with Cubase now...

Is it possible that Steinberg hasn't noticed this issue yet even though it's present in Cubase 8.5, 9 and 9.5???

UPDATE: I completely uninstalled Cubase Pro 9.5 (even removed the receipts) and installed Cubase Pro 8. The issue is present there as well.

Honestly, is it possible that Steinberg actually missed this, or even worse, don't even want to fix it??
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6-Core 3.5 Ghz 16GB RAM, macOS Mojave 10.14.6.
Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Logic Pro X 10.4.8.
apollo Twin Duo MKII, UAD Satellite Quad Thunderbolt.

dlf

Post by dlf »

These synths are very underrated. But at the moment they are unreliable because of this bug so i dont use them all that much. Actually...the synths didnt seem to have this bug in cubase 5.5. But i made a big jump to 8.5 over a year ago (and now 9.5) and the synths have not been right since jumping to 8.5/9.5

valikvalik

Post by valikvalik »

yes i having the same issue on 9.53.

nohiddencatch

Post by nohiddencatch »

I just came across this thread.. Same Problem with Spector in Cubase 10.15. As I tweaked a Spector patch without saving it as a user-preset, reloading it was not an option for me. I closed and reopened the project, an Spector works as expected again.
Windows 10 Pro, i7 8700K, MSI Z370 A Pro, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX; PSU/Case/Cooling by BeQuiet!, Samsung SSD 840 EVO/850 EVO.
Cubase Pro 10.5, Halion 6, NI Komplete 11u, KORG DE, Waldorf Collection 2, nektar IMPACT LX 61+, Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD

Return to “Issues”