Frequency EQ-Pre-Ringing/Flabby Low End ?

Use this forum for an overview of issues and to report new ones.
eightyeightkeys

Frequency EQ-Pre-Ringing/Flabby Low End ?

Post by eightyeightkeys »

Anyone else notice the the Frequency EQ may have some low end issues ?

I put it on a Drum GRP channel but it seemed to turn my kick drum into an almost double hit, flabby kind of thing. Pre-ringing ? (I've never heard it this bad before) Unfortunately, I had to ditch it.
eightyeightkeys
Asus G752 VW-DH71, i76700HQ, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 2 SSD's, Windows 10 Home

characterstudios

Re: Frequency EQ-Pre-Ringing/Flabby Low End ?

Post by characterstudios »

Are you using linear phase? On strong transients, linear phase EQ is known to pre-ring and soften the transients.

Kind regards,

characterstudios

Novikthewise

Post by Novikthewise »

Exactly,

there is also a note about this in the plugin reference of the Frequency EQ. Linear Phase is not always the better choice. I would only use it, if you really want the phase correlation to be intact. In many cases this is not needed.
StudioPC: Core i7 2600, 16GB DDR-1333 RAM, Asus P8H67 m-Evo REV.3, Win 7 64Bit Home Premium, Cubase 8.5.20 64bit, Halion 5.1.1, Halion Sonic 2, Wavelab 9.0.25,

Mobile: HP Elitebook 8460p I5 2540m 8GB RAM Win 7 Pro 64bit, Cubase Elements 8.0.40

characterstudios

Post by characterstudios »

On a related note: I remember that the FabFilter Youtube tutorials for Pro-Q are very good at explaining some of this too, I recall the advanced tutorial (I think) explaining a bit about when you'd want to choose Linear Phase.

Kind regards,

characterstudios

mitchiemasha

Post by mitchiemasha »

characterstudios wrote: the FabFilter Youtube tutorials for Pro-Q are very good at explaining some of this too, I recall the advanced tutorial (I think) explaining a bit about when you'd want to choose Linear Phase.
Just what I needed thank you.
W10, CP10.5, i7 9700k OC 5.0, Noctua NH-U9S, MSI z390, 16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4, PCIe NVME 970 Pro, Be Quiet SP11, Virus TI (Integrated), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped), Dynaudio BM5's mkII & Eve SC305's.

Return to “Issues”