Cubase 10 expectations, hopes, etc.?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Manike

Re: Cubase 10 expectations, hopes, etc.?

Post by Manike »

I just want it to come out now so I can have fun with it be excited and frustrated in equal measure :D
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Catalina : Cubase10.5.20 : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :
Macbook pro : Catalina
http://www.manikemusic.com

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk »

*wildly speculative post*

Last year they clearly wanted to beat the Black Friday crush, so brought forward the normal release by a couple of weeks or so. This year BF itself is quite a bit earlier than the last on the 23rd Nov. So by that logic, the release might come as soon as this or next week.

However, I wonder if the botched 9.5.40 release might have thrown a spanner in those works. 9.5.40 came much closer to release date than normal, and then had so many serious bugs they had to release a hot fix version in 9.5.41. I'm presuming that all these changes now also have to be ported across to the 10 code, which is cutting it awfully fine. Usually a .0 release has a date weeks before the actual release, this time maybe it will be a lot nearer.

Well either that, or 10.0.0 will need to be treated with even more care than usual for a .0 release...
Win 10 64 bit, i7 4930, 64gb RAM, 2x GT610, RME Babyface, Cubase 9.01, PT 12HD
Macbook Pro 2015, 2.8ghz i7, 16gb RAM

http://www.guyrowland.co.uk

hikarateboy

Post by hikarateboy »

noiseboyuk wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Last year they clearly wanted to beat the Black Friday crush, so brought forward the normal release by a couple of weeks or so. This year BF itself is quite a bit earlier than the last on the 23rd Nov. So by that logic, the release might come as soon as this or next week.

However, I wonder if the botched 9.5.40 release might have thrown a spanner in those works. 9.5.40 came much closer to release date than normal, and then had so many serious bugs they had to release a hot fix version in 9.5.41. I'm presuming that all these changes now also have to be ported across to the 10 code, which is cutting it awfully fine. Usually a .0 release has a date weeks before the actual release, this time maybe it will be a lot nearer.
I LIKE the wild speculation.

That said I suspect that 9.5.41 is probably the last release you will see for 9.5 for a while and that for the most part 10 has probably been complete for weeks if not months and porting of fixes to any shared code base probably has all hands on deck right now so the focus can be on as close to rock solid as can be for release.

Will it be? No. There will always be things that arise hardware conflicts that couldnt be tested as well people doing things the majority of us would never think of.

One thing is for sure, it is a 10 release so the pressure is on to make it a game changer rather than Meh... release. I cant imagine there not being something massive that will be unveiled.

However, I have no idea how they are going to do that as the current release does pretty much everything I or most of us need.
Running the latest version of Cubase on Win 10, AMD Ryzen 7, 40 gigs Ram, 3 displays, RME 5296, 24 ch of A/D - I/O, CC121, Numerous plugins from UAD, Slate, Soundtoys, Waves, etc. Bunches of outboard analog pres and compressors.

quantum7

Post by quantum7 »

hikarateboy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:03 am

However, I have no idea how they are going to do that as the current release does pretty much everything I or most of us need.
I find myself also thinking that 9.5 pretty much does everything I need, BUT usually Steiny comes out with new Cubase surprise features that I would have never thought of, but after using wouldn't want to be without out them. :ugeek:
"it is better to compose, than decompose"

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com
www.SeanChristopher.net

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

hikarateboy wrote:

For new features, maybe so for some (depending wildly upon the individual, that is).

For many of us there is big room for lots of improvements with the current features and workflow, if this forum is any indication (as well as the people I work with who also use Cubase). Personally I will take large and thorough improvements with that instead of new features (mostly -- there are a few that I'm hoping will make it) or plugins.
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk »

hikarateboy wrote:
That said I suspect that 9.5.41 is probably the last release you will see for 9.5 for a while and that for the most part 10 has probably been complete for weeks if not months and porting of fixes to any shared code base probably has all hands on deck right now so the focus can be on as close to rock solid as can be for release.
I can't remember the date that appears on the splash screen for the previous .0 releases, but from memory it's about 6-8 weeks before release. I'd imagine features get locked somewhere around spring / early summer and they want to have an RC version early October. I know there was a big gap between 9.5.30 and 9.5.40, so I guess they're not normally having to port code this late.

Will check out the .0 date this time with some interest...

Rob Elliott

Post by Rob Elliott »

I just don't have time to read anymore of the thread (got through 3 pages) - here are mine:

1. Bezier curves for midi editing
2. Vid engine - please, please finish it ('replace audio in vid...')
3. Any latency improvements are always welcomed.
"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

W10 - 128 gb ram / i9

meradium

Post by meradium »

For me it would be
  • Fixed 4k resolution support for its UI on MacOS (here the Mixer and sometimes also the MIDI Editor laggy as hell) and
  • finally a true scripting support to do advanced manipulation of MIDI and Audio data.

KHS

Post by KHS »

jpgtr wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm
claesbjo wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:56 pm
jpgtr wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:59 pm
Would LOVE a "lock fader" function.

Setting automation points on hundreds of tracks just to preserve level/fader location is a *huge* PITA.

Educate me if I'm overlooking the obvious, please!
Not sure if you mean "lock fader´s level to other faders level(s)"? if you mean that, it can be done by grouping the tracks, or assign them to a VCA bus
No. I mean locking the track (or fader) to a specific volume level so you don't cause any unwanted or accidental fader moves. I believe this would be helpful when setting a rough mix, but you are not ready to start writing automation yet. (i.e. you still might be tracking or whatnot)
Simple and quick workaround is to just use automation to lock the fader.
Cubase Pro 10.0.60 - Steinberg UR242 - Windows 10 Latest build - I7-7700K@4,5GHz - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo - Corsair MP510 960 GB - Corsair MP510 1920 GB - Samsung 840 EVO 240 GB - Crucial MX300 525 GB.

HarrySound

Post by HarrySound »

Featureswise i'm done.
It already does a billion things I don't know how to do yet.
I would just love to see a rewritten UI. Fine if you don't change it aestheticly just make it super smooth to resize boxes and scroll...and maybe get rid of the blueish tinge.
Proper trackpad support for things like scrubbing and super smooth zooming in and out.

uarte

Post by uarte »

noiseboyuk wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Good logic, I think they will want to beat the BF craziness again, and I am wildly guessing that it will be announced either today (the 8th) or next week on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (13-15).

As for release quality, I am expecting a huge number of bugs unfortunately. I still think the marketing department rules at Steinberg and pushes out releases that are not tested well enough, but I hope I am wrong this time! There is evidence that they are changing, so who knows? Maybe Cubase 10 will be a perfect 10?!

dickiedrummer

Post by dickiedrummer »

I've been pretty happy with 9.5 overall, so I hope that 10 will have some 'must have' addition to tempt me to upgrade. :)
On the feature side, having just upgraded to Izotope Nectar 3 which comes bundled with Melodyne Essential, I would like to see ARA support to make it easy to use. Logic has ARA, and I've seen people saying that not having it in Cubase is a deal breaker. (Melodyne is pretty much an industry standard so it makes sense.) Variaudio is very useful and has its own plusses, but sometimes Melodyne seems to produce fewer artifacts.
Soft: Windows 10 64 bit | Cubase Pro 10.5 | Wavelab Pro10 | Halion 6 + HSO + various 3rd party from Arturia, Waves, Izotope etc
Hard: Asus P9X79 Mboard | Intel i7 3930k |16gb ram | NVidea GTX1070 | 1*28" + 2*24" monitors
Audio: X32 Producer desk/soundcard | Tannoy DMT2 12" main monitor + M-Audio BX5 nearfield

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk »

uarte wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:02 pm
think they will want to beat the BF craziness again, and I am wildly guessing that it will be announced either today (the 8th) or next week on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (13-15).
If memory serves, they tend to pick Wednesdays for some reason. So if my random theory has any merit, that would make it next Wednesday 14th.

uarte

Post by uarte »

noiseboyuk wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 pm
uarte wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:02 pm
think they will want to beat the BF craziness again, and I am wildly guessing that it will be announced either today (the 8th) or next week on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday (13-15).
If memory serves, they tend to pick Wednesdays for some reason. So if my random theory has any merit, that would make it next Wednesday 14th.
I think you are right. I'm jumping in with you on this -- Wednesday the 14th it is! :D

aricastudio

Post by aricastudio »

I vote for the long overdue Quantize Presets Organizer.
Music is all about the groove and ea type of music has it's own way about it.
Being able to really organize Groove Quantize Patterns and move them to new upgrades or installations is really necessary in my opinion and do not understand why more people don't demand it.
There is a huge potential hiding in groove quantize but no way to keep track of it or it organized.
Thanks
Wider scroll bars also makes ease of use sense to me and the more psychically challenged.

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot »

My requests would be (in order):

1. Improve remote control of plugins. Allow every parameter of any MIDI controller to be mapped to a plugin's VST paramaters within the host. Automatically remember mappings. When plugin GUI is in focus, have a "focus mode" where that mapping is active. Bonus points if multiple controllers can be mapped to a single plugin at the same time.

2. Better browser. The current browser isn't very useful IMO. I'd like a proper plugin browser, with drag and drop of instruments and effects, along with drag and drop plugin management (Example: right click to create a "Reverb" folder and drag my reverb plugins into it right within the browser). Show presets under each instrument/effect, allow for favourites, allow for easy renaming of plugins, etc. You can still have the tagged browsing available at the top as an expandable/collapsible section. Once you get the plugin screen done, then do something similar for media items, loops, etc.

3. ARA2. Heck, even ARA 1 would be welcome.

4. Smart tools. Just looking to increase the efficiency of MIDI/audio drawing/editing. Less tool switching, faster note entry/removal.

5. Modernize some screen designs, consolidate some views. The devices, audio connections, studio setup screens all look outdated, and could be consolidated into a single, easy to use section.

6. Quick Addition of Audio Channels, Instruments. There should be a way to just add an audio track without having to answer a pop-up about what I want to name it, or where I want to route tracks. This could be simplified by just adding an audio track (more on this next). Same for instrument tracks once we can drag and drop from browser.

7. Mono/stereo channel buttons. I should be able to designate a channel as mono or stereo via a button and change the settings like every other DAW I've used.

Really, not a whole lot else I think is needed. Some level of Dorico integration would be nice, or just a general cleaning up of the staff view, but not a top request for me. A pattern editor might be nice too but not necessary.

kocho1984

Post by kocho1984 »

Funkybot wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 am

4. Smart tools. Just looking to increase the efficiency of MIDI/audio drawing/editing. Less tool switching, faster note entry/removal.
100 x Yes!

That is something what Cubase users definitely deserve.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo »

kocho1984 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:55 pm
Funkybot wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 am

100 x Yes!

That is something what Cubase users definitely deserve.
Agreed. Cubase needs an overhaul in the way you need to click and navigate a lot for many things that are done fast and intuitively by a lot of the competition. Speed and efficiency are always preferable to excessive clicking and navigating -- if anyone has an argument against that, I'd like to hear it!
Latest Cubase 10.5, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9 10920x 12-core 4.8gHz, 128 gigs RAM, AMD RX-550 , plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

jonwright

Post by jonwright »

I’m hoping for a new feature that I didnt ask for, that doesn’t quite work, that breaks an existing feature that I use every day.

Fingers crossed!
www.jonathanwrightmusic.com
Cubase 10.5.12, macOS 10.15.3

hikarateboy

Post by hikarateboy »

In_Stereo wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:06 am
hikarateboy wrote:

For new features, maybe so for some (depending wildly upon the individual, that is).

For many of us there is big room for lots of improvements with the current features and workflow, if this forum is any indication (as well as the people I work with who also use Cubase). Personally I will take large and thorough improvements with that instead of new features (mostly -- there are a few that I'm hoping will make it) or plugins.
I agree with this but sad as it may seem is that I am sure the sales and marketing department probably can prove with data that new features sell new licenses not improvements and fixes.

Being that almost everyone that is current owner jumps for the new features since the upgrade is relatively cheap, there is minimal motivation to produce a 100% rock solid version versus 98-99.5% based upon the vast majority of most users experience.

While I experienced bugs it is extremely rare due to my average joe workflow. The super power users I am sure are frustrated however many are issues with features where the competition is not existent or lacking in that or other areas.
Running the latest version of Cubase on Win 10, AMD Ryzen 7, 40 gigs Ram, 3 displays, RME 5296, 24 ch of A/D - I/O, CC121, Numerous plugins from UAD, Slate, Soundtoys, Waves, etc. Bunches of outboard analog pres and compressors.

pdionne

Post by pdionne »

Sure would be nice to export AAC files so clients can listen to rough mixes on their iphones. I'd pay extra for a license too.
Cubase 10.5/RME Babyface Pro/Win10/Adam A7X/Yamaha MOXF8

kdogg456

Post by kdogg456 »

My wishlist:

1. More CPU efficient and suspend processing when idle
2. Click a plug in parameter to see automation lane
3. Automation in same lane as region
4. Time Stretch / Warp algorithms - desperately needs a Rhythmic / Slicing mode. Elastique 3 Pro is good but not for percussion and drums.
5. Macro knob / midi mapping (Logic / Ableton style)
6. Better transient detection - simply unreliable
7. Crash Auto-Save protection
8. No crazy long save times with big Kontakt sessions
9. Audio Warp edit in arrange page

These are the main items that make hard for me to continue using Cubase, Logic has all of these features so well implemented. Logic also just bounces audio a lot faster and loads sessions a lot faster. It also opens in 2 seconds and is ready to go, no mediabay scanning or anything. I have a ridiculous amount of plugins and terabytes of samples organized into folders and it just loads right away still.

I like the Cubase interface more and its definitely better for bigger templates, no question. Logic just has too much going for it on Mac to be denied. High hopes for Cubase 10, I’m sure I’ll still upgrade!
Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5 ghz 32GB Ram OSX 10.14.5

kdogg456

Post by kdogg456 »

Oh and Controller support - Touch Osc Logic Pad with Logic is one of the best controller integrations I’ve seen in any daw. Better than Ableton even I dare say. C’mon Steiny!
Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5 ghz 32GB Ram OSX 10.14.5

InLightTone

Post by InLightTone »

kdogg456 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:20 am
Oh and Controller support - Touch Osc Logic Pad with Logic is one of the best controller integrations I’ve seen in any daw. Better than Ableton even I dare say. C’mon Steiny!
Please offer that remote for Windows tablets (Surface Pro) as well like Studio One?!?

Sonik

Post by Sonik »

Macbook Pro i9 32gb|Studio One 5|Protools 2020.5|Cubase Pro 10.5.20|Wavelab 10.0.40|Logic X|Apollo Quad|4xUAD-2 (24 core)
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete12 Ultimate|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2.6|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 3|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|Serum|ANA2|Korg Collection 2
UAD|Waves|Soundtoys|Melodyne|Softube|Brainworx|PluginAlliance|Fabfilter|Sonnox|Eventide|Oeksound

Return to “General”