Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
sps

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by sps »

roel wrote: - sampler:...
I was baffled that the new version of cubase offers audio input on VSTI, which is a very good added functionality that already exists in packages from the competition, but it was not offered for the sampler track. Weird.
So:The sampler track is NOT a sampler, but a sample player track. That's a missed opportunity imo.
Hi,
+1 That is correct, it was only a sample player track. Yes i know we could record it on a normal audiotrack and drop the file, but I think an rec input for the track was an was not big challange for the devs ;) So please implement an input in the next update.

IMHO it is the update is very well. Midi reconnect is a great winner for me, and until now (20hours used) it seems it is very stable and snappy. Did SB something changed with the ASIO guard it seems more efficient for me and my setttings?

Good Job, Steinberg!
CubasePro 10, RME HDSP9632, UAD quad 9.4, Win10 64bit (aktuelle Version), 32gb Ram, I7 6700k Asus Z170-A
No OC
https://soundcloud.com/the-insector

vanyasapronov

Post by vanyasapronov »

Sample accurate automation will be the best gift for me :cry:

aaandima

Post by aaandima »

etchell wrote:
maggie wrote:
Laserkraft wrote:Wondering why such things were not made in German (Forum)?

Furthermore still waiting to have the same Forum (Support) in German as in English.

Can you explain what you mean?
I miss a Feature-Request-Thread in the german forum.
Indeed :) :!:
‘No German’ Volkswagen force staff to speak ENGLISH after switching its official language
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/743 ... tch-bosses

and i think steinberg was years before VW telling such language staff- stuff -order :roll:

And who speaks too much German gets "Hungerlohn"?

and there is what i say about myself:

No german "Handbuch" and no german translated learning videos = no upgrade to cubase 9 -
„Ach, wissen Sie, im Grunde genommen ist die Sache ganz einfach. Es geht nur darum, die richtige Taste zum richtigen Zeitpunkt zu drücken. Das ist schon alles.“ J.S.Bach

Steinberg: Cubase 10 Pro. Nuendo 10, Dorico 3, Halion 5/6, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, Groove Agent 5 , Grand 3. WaveLab Pro 9x
Hardware: Win 8.1 Pro ( + Win 10 Pro test system), UR28M,
Fremdtools: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum (lifetime update), Cakewalk BandLab, Presonus Studio One Pro 4+, Presonus Notion 6, Cantabile 3, Synthesizer > UVI Falcon, Waldorf Nave, Iris 2, AAS Strum/Analog/Chromaphone, Factory SugarBytes, Synthmaster, Fathom, Objeq Delay, BreakTweaker, MeldaProduction MSoundFactory. Mix/Mastering > iZotope Neutron Advanced, Ozone Advanced. Server Tools: VSL Ensemble Pro 7 including diverse VSL Synchron Libs incl Boesendorfer and all Big Bang Libs

Naturligasteg

Post by Naturligasteg »

At the moment I really regret upgrading. My most essential VST plugin is unusable now. I really missed the part where C9 has no backward compatibility for wrapped VSTs, this is horrible to me. I want a refund. Sampler track and other things may be nice, but without my most VSTs Cubase is useless to me so I am back with 8.5 :evil: :evil:

Hedshaker

Post by Hedshaker »

Naturligasteg wrote:At the moment I really regret upgrading. My most essential VST plugin is unusable now. I really missed the part where C9 has no backward compatibility for wrapped VSTs, this is horrible to me. I want a refund. Sampler track and other things may be nice, but without my most VSTs Cubase is useless to me so I am back with 8.5 :evil: :evil:
Jbrige works for me. All my PowerCore plug-in, which are all 32 bit, work fine in Cubase 9 with Jbridge.

Try it, It's cheep.

Edit: Mind you I think Jbridge is Windows only at the moment. https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/
Asus P9X79 I7 - 4930K @340GHz, 16 GB Ram. Windows 10. EMU 1820m. Cubase Pro 10.##. UAD quad, UAD Solo PowerCore Element with Access Virus. AN1x, Dave Smith Mopho. Yamaha NS-10m studio Monitors.

https://soundcloud.com/dark-blue-man

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

Maincat wrote:Why didn't those that *witch* about C9 and how much the upgrade cost wait until the trial version? Or is that too bloody obvious?

+1
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

For all the complaints about Cubase no longer supporting 32bit plugins I have to marvel at the number of users who dived in, upgraded and then were confronted with the bad news without apparently checking the new specs. I waited a week to gauge the general consensus of opinion and carefully read the specifications before purchasing. I knew about the withdrawal of support for 32bit.

Do users really think that 32 bit would be supported forever? All DAWs are dropping their support, if not in this round of development then the next. If you really need those plugins then use JBridge, which by all accounts works well. Just make sure that the 32 bit plugins are in a folder not in a Cubase path and the 64 bridged versions are. JBridge works for Mac as well as windows. I have used it in the past as the Cubase bridge was useless.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 10 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 10.5 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 12 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335x2,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette x 3 - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

LordNibbler

Post by LordNibbler »

The old saying is Caveat Emptor. Even the Romans knew this, 2000 years ago! Nothing changes.

If you buy the upgrade blind and don't like it, you've only yourself to blame.

If you've bought the upgrade and find it doesn't do exactly what you expected, then really you should have waited for the demo version.

Talking of which, why is there no demo version? That should tell you C9 isn't ready for exposure to new customers. When it is, Steinberg release the demo. That's the way it's gone in the past and no reason to suspect otherwise today.

So if it isn't ready for open exposure, why did it go out as it is now? Well, don't blame the developers or testers. They don't decide the release schedule. That's a management/marketing function with restrictions imposed by manufacturing, advertising and distribution chains already set in place. And of course, it has nothing to do with the Christmas season.

Upgrading is a simple decision and shouldn't be determined by wanting to be the first on your block with the latest and greatest.

What can this do for me that I don't already have?
Does it add improvemtns to existing features that I might find useful?
Does it fix any bugs that are annoying me?
Are they any known bugs or work-arounds with the release?
Does it work with my plugins and hardware?
Can I actually test this software on my DAW?
Will it break something on my DAW I need?
Is it good value for money?
Is it past the .0 release build?
And overall, will it make my life easier?

This is all just basic common sense.

A lot of posts in this thread have people blaming Steinberg when if the truth be told, they should be blaming themselves for jumping in early on a product they can't even test yet.

JClosed

Post by JClosed »

silhouette wrote:For all the complaints about Cubase no longer supporting 32bit plugins I have to marvel at the number of users who dived in, upgraded and then were confronted with the bad news without apparently checking the new specs. I waited a week to gauge the general consensus of opinion and carefully read the specifications before purchasing. I knew about the withdrawal of support for 32bit.

Do users really think that 32 bit would be supported forever? All DAWs are dropping their support, if not in this round of development then the next. If you really need those plugins then use JBridge, which by all accounts works well. Just make sure that the 32 bit plugins are in a folder not in a Cubase path and the 64 bridged versions are. JBridge works for Mac as well as windows. I have used it in the past as the Cubase bridge was useless.
Indeed - If you really take your work seriously (I hate to use the word "professional"), you would at least have the following work flow:

1. Examine the new features and possible limitations of the program. In other words - Don't buy blindly, but inform yourself.

2. Wait until a demo version is available, and try to test the program in as many different situations an circumstances as possible.

3. It is advisable to at least wait for one update, unless you are certain the program has no big flaws.

3. If you decide to buy the upgrade, keep using the old program until you are sure the new version works with all your plug-ins and projects, and if not, how to do the needed work-around.

4. Finally transfer all your projects to the new environment, but keep the old "8.5" installer on a backup DVD/USB-Key (as well as the older projects made with previous versions). I personally still have the old installers back to 6.0, so if the need arise to "rescue" an old project that will not run in the new environment, I can do a fast and dirty install (after a full backup of the present hard discs of course), and try the "rescue".

I always take that approach, and never was "stuck" with a not working environment or met unexpected nasty surprises.

Naturligasteg

Post by Naturligasteg »

This forum really baffles me. People assume that everybody has the time to read minute post and scrutiny details before upgrading. Removing backwards compatibility is something that not even Microsoft does. You can open your 20 year old word files in the new programs. You can't use new features and it is limited, but atleast you can read it. This upgrade made none of my songs from last 3 years even load! This is like buying a car and discover that there is no engine. Sure it was in the small print, but this was unwanted and unwarranted. As for skipping the upgrade - that is just absurd. Sure we can skip it now, but in a year or so there will be another upgrade and there will be a new version of windows and it will not even start. I follow the upgrades to have stuff working. This so let me down. For gods sake, the code to run VSTs was in 8.5, just leave it as on option to run legacy VSTs.

Mrhehon

Post by Mrhehon »

silhouette wrote:For all the complaints about Cubase no longer supporting 32bit plugins I have to marvel at the number of users who dived in, upgraded and then were confronted with the bad news without apparently checking the new specs. I waited a week to gauge the general consensus of opinion and carefully read the specifications before purchasing. I knew about the withdrawal of support for 32bit.

Yes ....Totally agree.
BTW, I think the moving away from the old 32bit plug-ins can only be a good thing.
Windows 10 pro
Cubase Pro 10
PC i7 920@2.67 GHz (10 years old but still doing it for me) 16GB ram
2xMR816 CSX FireWire Audio Interfaces
CC121 controller
Nektar P6

Hedshaker

Post by Hedshaker »

Naturligasteg wrote:This forum really baffles me. People assume that everybody has the time to read minute post and scrutiny details before upgrading. Removing backwards compatibility is something that not even Microsoft does. You can open your 20 year old word files in the new programs. You can't use new features and it is limited, but atleast you can read it. This upgrade made none of my songs from last 3 years even load! This is like buying a car and discover that there is no engine. Sure it was in the small print, but this was unwanted and unwarranted. As for skipping the upgrade - that is just absurd. Sure we can skip it now, but in a year or so there will be another upgrade and there will be a new version of windows and it will not even start. I follow the upgrades to have stuff working. This so let me down. For gods sake, the code to run VSTs was in 8.5, just leave it as on option to run legacy VSTs.
All my old projects from C 8 and C 8.5 load and run perfectly in C 9 here so the problem ain't Cubase 9
Asus P9X79 I7 - 4930K @340GHz, 16 GB Ram. Windows 10. EMU 1820m. Cubase Pro 10.##. UAD quad, UAD Solo PowerCore Element with Access Virus. AN1x, Dave Smith Mopho. Yamaha NS-10m studio Monitors.

https://soundcloud.com/dark-blue-man

22goldstreet

Post by 22goldstreet »

As tried to report multiple bugs, but somehow my messages apparently don't get approved.
Cubase 9 is not usable for professionals. It has such serious bugs with time line performance.
MAC PRO 64GB RAM 8 CORE D700 DUAL GFX and with 12 audio tracks and 6 groups it starts to stutter visually.
unresponsive as hell.

Also there are so many bugs in copy pasting audio or just loop selected range -> triggers record every time..
your QA is a shame!
22goldstreet.com
39 Gold records I 19 platinum
Protools 12.6 |Cubase 9 | Barefoot MM27 Gen2 | Manley Massive Passive Mastering Version
Manley Vari Mu Mastering Version | Burl B2 Bomber ADC | Burl B2 Bomber DAC | Empirical labs distressor x2 | Apogee Symphony MK II 8x24 | Pendulum Quartet I | Manley Ref Cardio

vaikl

Post by vaikl »

Hedshaker wrote: Edit: Mind you I think Jbridge is Windows only at the moment. https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/
No, Developer Joao (very nice guy) has JBridgeM for Macs: https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridgem/ ;)

Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Howabout VST Bridge support for all the legacy Steinberg products that I have paid for and use everyday, have no reason to replace, and every reason to want to continue using?

Oh that's right - I am a moron for wanting this.

Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Mrhehon wrote:

Yes ....Totally agree.
BTW, I think the moving away from the old 32bit plug-ins can only be a good thing.
Can people please stop pretending that JBridge is the cure-all?

It isn't. JBridge doesn't work with legacy native Steinberg plugs. If this isn't a problem for you, then that's great - for some of us, it is a workflow killer, a total showstopper.

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 »

Godfrey wrote:
Mrhehon wrote:

Yes ....Totally agree.
Can people please stop pretending that JBridge is the cure-all?

It isn't. JBridge doesn't work with legacy native Steinberg plugs. If this isn't a problem for you, then that's great - for some of us, it is a workflow killer, a total showstopper.
Well then I suppose Cubase 9 isn't for you. What is the issue? You still have your previous version where the legacy plugs work right? If you choose not to move forward then enjoy that. Nobody is making you change.

I am going to stay with Windows 7 till I can't. Best!
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

Raphie

Post by Raphie »

Yep kill 32bit is done and dusted, over! finito!
So much better.
Just install an older 32bit version next to it, or replace the plugins with a 64bit alternative. Don't tell me you can't find any alternative for those :lol:
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

jimzepellin

Post by jimzepellin »

Only had V9 for a few hours and on the whole I'm pretty happy. 32bit gone is a good thing. We are moving on as far as I'm concerned, so move on. Plugging in a device and Cubase recognizing it, is my favourite. Though I will says that this should have been done a long time ago.

Frequency is great. Played with it five minutes and fell in love.
Multiple marker tracks cool.
Sampler track is cool but not something I wanted or needed.
The rest is a bit "so what" for me

Now the stuff that *quiz* me off and also I liked. The new interface inprovements?

I really like the new improvements to the interface with the Zoning stuff. It works great and is a boon to your workflow.
You may call me naive or just an idiot for jumping on the Zoning train and be thinking that there was a genius mind behind it. I think there was but just at the very last second they handed their laptop to their blind, incontinent, epileptic cat and told it to add the finishing touches.

The transport bar, when rolled over have what I would say are extend icons for both extending and contracting. You have no idea whether you are extending something or contracting it. This may seem like a small thing but it drives me nuts.
My real complaint is about the arrangement of the bar on two monitors. It is not good (held back a lot of swearing there). If the are going to make this bar, as good as it looks like it is, work it should work on both a single screen and multiple screens. At the moment it just looks like nobody is trying hard. The transport controls are hacked in half where two monitors meet. Why can't this stuff just be place where you want? Or failing that spacer added to move things about to suit a multiple monitor layout.
I'm really worried about the Cubase interface. I was hoping for some freedom to place things where you want and be able to customize the interface to suit. It looks like we are going in the opposite direction. I own plenty of applications that allow some amazing amount of customizing. The all leave Cubase back in the stoneage.
Basically I like it but they seem to have stopped well short.

I found a fix though. Open up the cog wheel on the far right of the transport bar then open set up. Then just move the left and right dividers up and down to where it suits you. I would have liked more dividers and the option to size them.
If in doubt scream and shout.

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk »

After testing Elements on the MBP for the past couple of weeks, I decided to upgrade to C9 on the main rig. In the end, it was one single reason that made me jump above all others - stability. Subjectively, C9 Elements on the MBP felt snappier, looked a little cleaner and seemed to behave impeccably - for a .01 release at launch, quite something. On the W10 main rig, I found exactly the same thing - not a single hiccup or glitch. I did have spikes I never tracked down in C8.5. So far, an hour of playing around with a moderately busy session, C9 has performed impeccably. Whatever else it may or may not be, C9 feels slick and stable. Aside from the useful and very long-awaited mixer undo, sadly this is pretty much the only reason to upgrade.

I still can't see myself ever using the Lower Zone. I run a 4 monitor rig - 3 across the front, 1 above and behind. The central screen is for the main project window - everything else has to get out the way and stay out. Extraneous toolbars are banished. Something that a) restricts the project window'ss height and b) is itself so height restricted and thus functionally crippled is as welcome as a polar bear at an antiques shop. The Lower Zone for me is, literally, a waste of space. Also a waste of space and time - the new Transport Bar. I have transport buttons on the top menu bar, and the floating bar on the right hand monitor top right, so a new option to restrict height in the project window is entirely redundant. The Sampler Track, as discussed elsewhere, is currently weighed down with all kinds of problems - maybe successive updates will make this something useful, but until then it will be another unused new feature by me. The Frequency EQ plugin is however rather nice, hardly essential for those already well stocked, but it looks like being a useful workhorse and easy to see where your problems might be.

Meanwhile a myriad of irritations, bugs and underdeveloped features remain. For (glaring) example, with the new crispness, its all the easier to see how ridiculous the truncated names are in the mixer inserts and sends - as others have pointed out, it makes it nigh on impossible to work out what plugins or effects are being used sometimes. There has to be a better system, and Steinberg could do a whole lot worse than looking at how Pro Tools does it - somehow conveying more useful information in less characters in their narrow mix view. Scrapping spaces and vowels first would be a start, eliminating space-wasting ".."s close behind. Anyway, just one example of where Steinberg seem to be focused forever in the wrong place, missing the glaringly obvious in front of all our eyes.

So after a few weeks and an upgrade on the main rig, my initial impression is largely intact. This is overall a poor upgrade. The new features clearly miss the mark for many users (not all). In my view, all are either poorly conceived or executed, and do little to address the pleas of core functionality and workflow improvements. However, where I've shifted my view is that under the hood there do appear to have been some significant improvements. While the headline performance seems broadly similar to C8, my early results suggest that it is a less bumpy ride. For that, and that alone, Steinberg are to be congratulated.
Win 10 64 bit, i7 4930, 64gb RAM, 2x GT610, RME Babyface, Cubase 9.01, PT 12HD
Macbook Pro 2015, 2.8ghz i7, 16gb RAM

http://www.guyrowland.co.uk

LordNibbler

Post by LordNibbler »

I don't quite understand the "new" lower zone with its fader-only view of the mixer.

This is something you've always been able to do and assign to a hotkey for switching it on/off. It's called a second mixer view (3 have been provided as long as I can remember). All you do is open the second view, position it, select what you want to show and then set it AOT. I tried this as an experiment ages ago but found it impacted on the main project view too much. So assuming I have missed something big in this new feature, what is different to the previous second mixer view option? (No demo so I can't see this for myself).

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk »

LordNibbler wrote:I don't quite understand the "new" lower zone with its fader-only view of the mixer.

This is something you've always been able to do and assign to a hotkey for switching it on/off. It's called a second mixer view (3 have been provided as long as I can remember). All you do is open the second view, position it, select what you want to show and then set it AOT. I tried this as an experiment ages ago but found it impacted on the main project view too much. So assuming I have missed something big in this new feature, what is different to the previous second mixer view option? (No demo so I can't see this for myself).
Apart from it being in a tabbed interface, very little. Your reasoning for it not being of much value is mine too, and of course it's equally true of the lower zone, except that the LZ is less flexible.
Win 10 64 bit, i7 4930, 64gb RAM, 2x GT610, RME Babyface, Cubase 9.01, PT 12HD
Macbook Pro 2015, 2.8ghz i7, 16gb RAM

http://www.guyrowland.co.uk

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

The mixer can't be AOT, that is the point.
Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Elements 9, I9 9900K , win10x64, 32Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

silhouette

Post by silhouette »

To be totally frank a lot of those legacy plugins are pretty poor compared with what is available today. I'm guessing that Steinberg feel the same way. However I did find a version of Embracer a while ago that came as a dll file. Perhaps somebody still has a version of this?

Frequency? Well I won't be giving up Pro Q 2. It is an ok eq but no more than that. I am afraid that I have never used the native plugins other than trying them out. A shame but there you are.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 10 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 10.5 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 12 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335x2,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette x 3 - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

Jem-55

Post by Jem-55 »

All I care about is that 9 is quick and stable - at last I can use it. Been using Reaper lately because 8 and all its variants only worked when it wanted to. Can't stand Reaper but it worked - now confined to the bin.

Hallelujah, Cubase 9 drops 32 bit support and the stars align.

Return to “General”