Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
Post Reply
indiescore
Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by indiescore »

Raphie wrote:What's the current issue with track vissibility? I'm not aware?
If you add a track within a visibility setting and save, That track appears in all visibility settings. Defeating the purpose.

So new drum tracks from drum visibility view now show up in my orchestra visibility view, lovely.
Windows 10 w latest update
Cubase 10 pro w latest update
INTEL CORE I7-4790K 4.0 GHZ + 10 % over clock , water cooled.
32GB DDR3 2133 MHZ
GIGABYTE Z97X-GAMING 7 Motherboard
Project drive M.2. Form factor , SSD
2x internal SSD, 2x external SSD USB 3

User avatar
Raphie
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by Raphie »

Ahh ok, never used that, will try ThnX
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

User avatar
jose7822
Member
Posts: 929
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:38 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by jose7822 »

noiseboyuk wrote:
Jem-55 wrote:Well I'm happy. It works so much better than 8.5. I suspect dropping 32bit support has made it quicker and stable..
Out of interest - if someone never was using any 32 bit plugins in 8.5, is there are possibility that 9 is more stable for having dropped 32 bit support?
I wonder the same thing. I've been all 64bit since around 2007 or 2008, so the stability improvements (if they're only present on systems where the transition from 32 to 64bit was done in this version) may not apply to me.

It really amazes me the amount of people still using 32bit these days. Didn't realize that until C9 came out.
GIGABYTE X99 Designare EX | Intel Core i7 6800K (OC'ed to 4.2 GHz) | 64GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum (3333 MHz) | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | Corsair H115i Water Cooler | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200 Watt PSU | Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 10.0.40 64 bit | Studio One v4.5.3 | Dorico 3 | Lynx Aurora (n) 8TB | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad

rmirabelle
New Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 4:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by rmirabelle »

This is the first "major" Cubase update that I feel totally let down by.

I paid $100 to upgrade without even thinking about it, because I have a long history with new Cubase releases offering real value and excitement.

Not so with this VERY minor release. In fact, exactly ZERO of this update is useful to me in any meaningful way and as such, I'm left with having invested a non-trivial chunk of my money for essentially NO ADDED VALUE.

* The ability to dock windows is a minor UI enhancement at best, as window management was already excellent.
* The sampler track is WOEFULLY underdeveloped as anyone who uses samplers will likely attest.
* Undo history - nice, but really a fix IMO
* built-in plugin updates - I don't use Cubase plugins, so, not for me

Cubase 9, just in time for the holidays, should have been called Cubase 8.6 and should have been FREE (or perhaps $10 bucks). Then, happy holidays would have ensued. The $100 asking price is ridiculous for an upgrade that will prove useless for so many, as it has me. I expect to feel extorted by companies like Apple and Adobe. I have always expected better from Steinberg.

My sorrow is the loss of confidence embodied in this "upgrade". I will now be forced to carefully consider whether new Cubase updates offer any value - something I used to depend upon.

Upgrade with caution.

Tim Timmer
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by Tim Timmer »

rmirabelle wrote:This is the first "major" Cubase update that I feel totally let down by.

I paid $100 to upgrade without even thinking about it, because I have a long history with new Cubase releases offering real value and excitement.

Not so with this VERY minor release. In fact, exactly ZERO of this update is useful to me in any meaningful way and as such, I'm left with having invested a non-trivial chunk of my money for essentially NO ADDED VALUE.

* The ability to dock windows is a minor UI enhancement at best, as window management was already excellent.
* The sampler track is WOEFULLY underdeveloped as anyone who uses samplers will likely attest.
* Undo history - nice, but really a fix IMO
* built-in plugin updates - I don't use Cubase plugins, so, not for me

Cubase 9, just in time for the holidays, should have been called Cubase 8.6 and should have been FREE (or perhaps $10 bucks). Then, happy holidays would have ensued. The $100 asking price is ridiculous for an upgrade that will prove useless for so many, as it has me. I expect to feel extorted by companies like Apple and Adobe. I have always expected better from Steinberg.

My sorrow is the loss of confidence embodied in this "upgrade". I will now be forced to carefully consider whether new Cubase updates offer any value - something I used to depend upon.

Upgrade with caution.
+1

An excellent summary of the v9 update. My sentiment, exactly!

CShorte
Junior Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:52 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by CShorte »

C9 now has MIDI thru ... so great! In the past, I had not been able to control volume with a CC7 command from my keyboard. It was present in Logic Pro and therefore, I leaned toward using it versus Cubase. So great ...
MacPro: 3 GHz 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, SSD: 1 TB, 4 * 3 TB HD Array (Library, WorArea, TM, Archieve)
MacPro: 3 GHz Quad Core, 12 GB RAM, SSD: 512 GB, 1 TB Library, 500 GB Workarea
Audio: Apogee SymphonyAD/DA-16x, 2 Digimax FS (ADAT); MOTU MIDI Express

Software: Logic Studio v9.x, LPX; Cubase Pro v8.x; Halion v3.x; Finale 2012; Groove Agent v3, NI Kore v2 and Komplete Ultimate v10; Omnisphere; Sibelius v7.5; Waves Platinum Bundle; Mixbus v2.5; VSL Special Addition Plus and VE Pro

Hardware: Fantom G8, Yamaha EX-5, Kawai K3, Roland Rhodes MK-80
Mixers: VS-2480, RMX-64, Tascam MM-1, NI Kore Controller
Sound Modules: 03 R/W, Yamaha TG-77 and TX-81z, EPS 16 Plus, Proteus 1 and 2

User avatar
Raphie
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by Raphie »

rmirabelle wrote:This is the first "major" Cubase update that I feel totally let down by.

I paid $100 to upgrade without even thinking about it, because I have a long history with new Cubase releases offering real value and excitement.

Not so with this VERY minor release. In fact, exactly ZERO of this update is useful to me in any meaningful way and as such, I'm left with having invested a non-trivial chunk of my money for essentially NO ADDED VALUE.

* The ability to dock windows is a minor UI enhancement at best, as window management was already excellent.
* The sampler track is WOEFULLY underdeveloped as anyone who uses samplers will likely attest.
* Undo history - nice, but really a fix IMO
* built-in plugin updates - I don't use Cubase plugins, so, not for me

Cubase 9, just in time for the holidays, should have been called Cubase 8.6 and should have been FREE (or perhaps $10 bucks). Then, happy holidays would have ensued. The $100 asking price is ridiculous for an upgrade that will prove useless for so many, as it has me. I expect to feel extorted by companies like Apple and Adobe. I have always expected better from Steinberg.

My sorrow is the loss of confidence embodied in this "upgrade". I will now be forced to carefully consider whether new Cubase updates offer any value - something I used to depend upon.

Upgrade with caution.
Speak for yourself, Many find value in this update. Sorry that Steinberg didn't make you happy, but it was 2 min job to read and contemplate if this would bring value to you, before spending €99,00
For many others it was €99,00 VERY well spend
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 32gB DDR4-4400
Windows 10 x64 1909 - Cubase Pro 10.5x - Wavelab Pro 10.x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Tim Timmer
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by Tim Timmer »

Raphie wrote:
rmirabelle wrote:This is the first "major" Cubase update that I feel totally let down by.

I paid $100 to upgrade without even thinking about it, because I have a long history with new Cubase releases offering real value and excitement.

Not so with this VERY minor release. In fact, exactly ZERO of this update is useful to me in any meaningful way and as such, I'm left with having invested a non-trivial chunk of my money for essentially NO ADDED VALUE.

* The ability to dock windows is a minor UI enhancement at best, as window management was already excellent.
* The sampler track is WOEFULLY underdeveloped as anyone who uses samplers will likely attest.
* Undo history - nice, but really a fix IMO
* built-in plugin updates - I don't use Cubase plugins, so, not for me

Cubase 9, just in time for the holidays, should have been called Cubase 8.6 and should have been FREE (or perhaps $10 bucks). Then, happy holidays would have ensued. The $100 asking price is ridiculous for an upgrade that will prove useless for so many, as it has me. I expect to feel extorted by companies like Apple and Adobe. I have always expected better from Steinberg.

My sorrow is the loss of confidence embodied in this "upgrade". I will now be forced to carefully consider whether new Cubase updates offer any value - something I used to depend upon.

Upgrade with caution.
Speak for yourself, Many find value in this update. Sorry that Steinberg didn't make you happy, but it was 2 min job to read and contemplate if this would bring value to you, before spending €99,00
For many others it was €99,00 VERY well spend
Well, in this case rmirabelle speaks for me, and I believe many others, as well. Just because you think that this upgrade is the best thing that every happened, doesn't mean that everyone is forced to agree with you! As a matter of fact, judging by the amount of complaints, the majority disagrees with you.

djw
Senior Member
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by djw »

Tim Timmer wrote:As a matter of fact, judging by the amount of complaints, the majority disagrees with you.
Will people really register an account on the forum just to say how they think the update is pretty cool? Most people, you included, only do that when they have complaints. In other words, it's a vocal minority.

Tim Timmer
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by Tim Timmer »

djw wrote:
Tim Timmer wrote:As a matter of fact, judging by the amount of complaints, the majority disagrees with you.
Will people really register an account on the forum just to say how they think the update is pretty cool? Most people, you included, only do that when they have complaints. In other words, it's a vocal minority.
You'd better think before you speak (write). I am one of the oldest members of this forum. I was using Cubase since before it was publicly released and have assisted a great number of people, whenever I can, though the years. I'm pretty sure I've been here longer than you, so your comment is not only ignorant, it's outright insulting!

djw
Senior Member
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by djw »

Tim Timmer wrote:You'd better think before you speak (write). I am one of the oldest members of this forum. I was using Cubase since before it was publicly released and have assisted a great number of people, whenever I can, though the years. I'm pretty sure I've been here longer than you, so your comment is not only ignorant, it's outright insulting!
That may very well be the case, but you created your account to voice your complaints. Others do the same thing, so I rest my case.
Tim Timmer wrote:New Member
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 pm

User avatar
jimknopf
Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by jimknopf »

rmirabelle wrote:... I paid $100 to upgrade without even thinking about it...
Upgrade with caution.
You "upgrade without even thinking about it" and then are naive or impertinent enough to blame Steinberg for doing so, instead of investing the lousy 2 minutes to take notice of the upgrade content? Really???

And after giving such a funny example of a completely clueless blind flight, which hardly anyone would be inclined to follow, ever, you give OTHERS the valuable advice to "upgrade with caution"? :lol:

Thanks for the great advice! But I would never consider upgrading anything(!) without remotely knowing what I do.
What I did instead was
- getting all relevant infos and watching some early Cubase 9 videos
- decide if that's what I want and if I think it's a major upgrade worth 99 bucks
- if yes, get it and test it in everyday use
My result: works great, looks great, feels great: best Cubase workflow I ever had (and yes, I still have my wish list like everyone).

That doesn't have to be the same for others. But those who regard the upgrade as minor or worthless could just stay away from it. They could just continue to be happy users of what they got already, whatever it is, which they seem to regard as about equally good. So what exactly was the point? Achieving nothing? Not wanting to miss a general big rant opportunity? Whatever?

reginaldkson
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by reginaldkson »

I haven't been using CB for very long, perhaps a year or so. I still have S1V3 and Sonar Platinum. Although I find this update underwhelming, I do like CB enough to get the associated hardware - CC121.

CB seems to be a good compromise between S1 (less clicky and easy to use) and Sonar (gorgeous gui and simple to navigate). There are many things I think they could have improved upon but I don't feel like I wasted money on the upgrade.
I probably use 20% of what CB is capable of, so all in all, I may stay for a while.

Although I do occasionally reach for Sonar, CB has become my DAW of choice.

This new version seems more refined somehow and I look forward to the next iteration.

kamalski
Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by kamalski »

Regarding the skipping of updates:
Even if I decide that this update is not worth the money, the next update that IS useful to me will put the costs of the skipped update on top of it. So there is really no skipping and saving if it comes to updates.
http://www.artofaudio.com.au
PC: AAVIM TECHNOLOGY PXS 6K
OS: Win10 64bit (update blocked!)/ MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7/ CPU: Intel i7 6850K - 3.6 GHz/
RAM: 32 GB PC4 21300 Quad-Channel DDR4/ GrFx: NVIDIA Quadro NVS
monitor: 2x SONY Bravia 42"/ 2x UAD-2 OCTO DSP card/ RME Fireface UFX

vinja
New Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by vinja »

kamalski wrote:Regarding the skipping of updates:
Even if I decide that this update is not worth the money, the next update that IS useful to me will put the costs of the skipped update on top of it. So there is really no skipping and saving if it comes to updates.
THIS! Thank you. I skipped the 8.5 update because none of the features appealed to me. Now Steinberg is adding an additional 32% cost to update to 9.0. Furthermore, their pricing structure isn't clearly laid out... a simple "upgrade to 8.5 now and save on version 9.0!" would have sufficed.

djw
Senior Member
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by djw »

vinja wrote:
kamalski wrote:Regarding the skipping of updates:
Even if I decide that this update is not worth the money, the next update that IS useful to me will put the costs of the skipped update on top of it. So there is really no skipping and saving if it comes to updates.
THIS! Thank you. I skipped the 8.5 update because none of the features appealed to me. Now Steinberg is adding an additional 32% cost to update to 9.0. Furthermore, their pricing structure isn't clearly laid out... a simple "upgrade to 8.5 now and save on version 9.0!" would have sufficed.
You can do that by buying a .5 upgrade and waiting to use it when the new version you like comes out. It's way cheaper this way, $50 to skip to any future version you like, so you can't complain.

vinja
New Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by vinja »

djw wrote:
vinja wrote:
kamalski wrote:Regarding the skipping of updates:
Even if I decide that this update is not worth the money, the next update that IS useful to me will put the costs of the skipped update on top of it. So there is really no skipping and saving if it comes to updates.
THIS! Thank you. I skipped the 8.5 update because none of the features appealed to me. Now Steinberg is adding an additional 32% cost to update to 9.0. Furthermore, their pricing structure isn't clearly laid out... a simple "upgrade to 8.5 now and save on version 9.0!" would have sufficed.
You can do that by buying a .5 upgrade and waiting to use it when the new version you like comes out. It's way cheaper this way, $50 to skip to any future version you like, so you can't complain.
Awesome, going to try this, hopefully they don't nix this option.

Maincat
Member
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by Maincat »

Installation was as smooth as silk. Enjoying the new possibilities version 9 provides and feeling very positive about this release. Thanks Steinberg.

:D
Steve
Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Version 1903, 8 Gig RAM, AMD Phenom II 955 BE X4, 27" Acer LCD (X2), GX460, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha KX8, Nektar LX88, Shure SM58, Yamaha HS50Ms with Yamaha HS8M Sub., Yamaha HPH-MT7W Headphones, Kontakt 5.7.3, The Grand 3.1, Neo Soul Keys, Groove Agent 4, WaveLab Elements 10, ASUS Nexus 7 2013, Android 6.0, Cubase IC PRO and lots of other stuff.

j0hnglist
Junior Member
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by j0hnglist »

I haven't upgraded Cubase since 8.0.
I thought the 8.5 was disappointing. And now looking at 9, there is no way I'm paying $200 for these minor changes.
More and more I use Ableton Live for my projects these days and it makes me sad as Cubase was my go to that I defended for years. It's just no longer innovative. It has the best Midi/Audio/Editing options and Sound quality. But it's not coming up with any new ways of recording, and manipulating things to make music more fun to create. The workflow isnt improving.
And for me it still crashes a LOT

Look at the innovation Ableton has with Max for Live and all the creative things you can do. And in Live, the way everything can connect to anything with a click and the drag of the mouse. How easy it is to map things, to have things just automatically work when plugged in. The way when a project crashes, it instantly saves the snapshot so it can be recovered when you re-open the DAW. Etc etc

If I could take the features of Live and put it inside Cubase's bones I would be a very happy man.
ps: I still use Cubase to arrange and mixdown. But its no longer my go-to for the creative process

User avatar
silhouette
Senior Member
Posts: 1340
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by silhouette »

I guess this is a can of worms and possibly too early to arrive at a clear conclusion about the value of this update. I certainly had my worries yesterday, but today actually making music has gone some way to settle my doubts. If this update proves to be stable and trustworthy then I will have to give Steinberg credit for listening to some of our criticisms.

I have no idea yet which of the many issues have been solved. I wish Steinberg would post a list of fixes - well if there is one I have not seen it. I think that getting rid of 32 bit plugins was a good move and can only add to stability. I got fed up with those kind of issues and stopped using them ages ago. There is always 8.5 for those projects where they are essential.

I was initially worried about the CPU meter, but for some reason I am a little more laid back about it's seemingly different approach! I have started to investigate some of the new features. I like the EQ, but it won't replace my arsenal of third party eq's nice as it is. I mean one eq is never enough - let's face 10 eq's are never enough.

Some users like this version of Cubase and some don't. I guess it was ever thus. Give it a few months and another update to see how the dust settles. Who knows we might get used to it.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 10 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 10.5 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 12 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335x2,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette x 3 - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

User avatar
Hedshaker
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by Hedshaker »

Right then. I bought v9 a few days ago. But not before takling a good look into what was on offer. To not do so would, IMO, not only be lazy but kind of stupid. At first, like some others, I though, Meh! Don't need this and that, got a duel monitor system blah blah blah! But with a few reservations I decided to get it.

Immediately I was somewhat disappointed cause i thought there was a chance of losing my PowerCore plug-ins, especially the Access Virus, which felt like losing a limb. I would have to stay with v8.5 and my money wasted. However, with a little help from a few kind forum members and Jbridge v1.75 that potential problem was resolved. Anyway, today has been the first chance I've had to give it a thorough testing, And..........

I have to say I'm finding it top notch. A first rate Cubase update, IMO. First through the gate was an unexpected bonus: Cubase boots up a lot quicker and, for me, runs as smooth as a tall glass of cold Baileys. I'm not beyond a little confirmation bias like anyone but it just feels all round slick to my senses. And, it's still early days yet but Haven't had hang-on-exit once yet. But time will tell on that one.

I like the new look of some of the plug-ins. I know sound is more important but there's something to be said for
aesthetics in a work environment. Also, the new Frequency plug-in is outstanding for a stock plug-in and no mistake.

I didn't think I would much care for the new docking editors but I find myself warming to them, a change being as good as a rest an all, :o .

Well, there's lots more but it's late and I'm tired. plus there's more yet to be tested. Suffice to say I reckon it's a neat update and well worth every penny of the 80 quid I forked out.

Well done Steinberg.......... :geek: :ugeek: 8-)


EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. Sample track. Love it! Really simple yet with potential for power. It's quick to get something going with and I suspect it holds some of that magic serendipity value
Asus P9X79 I7 - 4930K @340GHz, 16 GB Ram. Windows 10. EMU 1820m. Cubase Pro 10.##. UAD quad, UAD Solo PowerCore Element with Access Virus. AN1x, Dave Smith Mopho. Yamaha NS-10m studio Monitors.

https://soundcloud.com/dark-blue-man

Maincat
Member
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by Maincat »

Why didn't those that *witch* about C9 and how much the upgrade cost wait until the trial version? Or is that too bloody obvious?
Steve
Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Version 1903, 8 Gig RAM, AMD Phenom II 955 BE X4, 27" Acer LCD (X2), GX460, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha KX8, Nektar LX88, Shure SM58, Yamaha HS50Ms with Yamaha HS8M Sub., Yamaha HPH-MT7W Headphones, Kontakt 5.7.3, The Grand 3.1, Neo Soul Keys, Groove Agent 4, WaveLab Elements 10, ASUS Nexus 7 2013, Android 6.0, Cubase IC PRO and lots of other stuff.

roel
Member
Posts: 802
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by roel »

For the moment i can dig the direction the package is going.
I've not been able to use it to the full extent yet, but... fwiw my opinion:

1/ If you look at the package in full, as is delivered, let's say a new buyer, and thus not upgrading...

Cubase has evolved into an impressive package. The workflow is nice, the added features makes the standard package more complete, even if it was very good already, and the addition of several very good new expansion packs straight into the standard package is very welcome although not yet full spectrum. Combine this with the already offered extensions, it becomes an impressive, almost "complete" package (the least youcansay is it is HQ) for a reasonable price with top of the line workflow. Ok, you have a simple sampler, sampler player, some very nice synth engines, a very good drumcomputer, and quite a bunch of quality sounds presets and samples to start with. The integration within the zones is fluent and very fast to work with.

So as is, as a new package i would give it a quick 9/10, without the need to feel myself in a position to defend myself on any given rating.

2/ The upgraders/crossgraders

This is probably the majority of the guys here.
Well, they are facing some challenges and have some benefits.
As an upgrader i feel a bit of mixed emotions.

- workflow: yes, nice for a lot of or most of them and with the focus on laptop guys. Probably a good choice, but for guys like me with multiple screens the zones are handy but not essential. It is mostly a redesign of older functionality except the lower zoning wich is much appreciated.

- sampler: thank you for listening to the forum, except for me probably, because i did put the message several times on the forum that a sampler has an AUDIO INPUT within the program. (not something like "drop sample here". Creating your own sample is really an art but a way to differentiate yourself in a scene, and that is where you use a sampler for, not a sample player (where the latter is only a preset play device).
I was baffled that the new version of cubase offers audio input on VSTI, which is a very good added functionality that already exists in packages from the competition, but it was not offered for the sampler track. Weird.
So:The sampler track is NOT a sampler, but a sample player track. That's a missed opportunity imo.

Also lacking (but that can be my fault in perception) is the integration of the audio material of a sampler track with the audio processing functions that are available on the audio track part. (f.e. such as normalizing a sample)
So i tried to find a workaround and record audio on an audio track, process it, and drag and drop it from within cubase. This results in some very weird sample analysis and what the sampler track is displaying as being dragged and dropped is not what i just dragged and dropped (from the main audio track processed) audio. So i guess this is V1.0 version software if we look at the sampler track with still a lot of things not being thougth trough completely. The integration of the sampler track with halion ans drums is excellent anyway.

- Audio ins on VSTI. Glad this has been introduced. A lot of people will like this.

- no more 32 bit: i've lost some old plugs but nothing dramatic. I can understand the decision to move on and leave behind those who can't follow to let the evolution in technology and programming develop to it's next level. But i'm someone without an extensive library of albums of songs; I'm the type of guy who gets rented when needed and i mostly perform on other peoples work. What i have as songs is recorded and i will not often return to the old plugs, who by the way were on older computers and so the sourcedata is lost anyway. On the other hand i see that musicians with library's are in fact quite attached to their gear, and are very keen to preserve their work. (i am too, but i use hardware (even from the 90's... it is performing as new up to this day, (which is more then 25 years old now... And yes, i am also attached to that gear)
So the message to the client base to say goodbye to the older work (which is very very often made on older plugs or older gear, is a very very radical approach. OK, you CAN still use them by loading up anolder version,which in fact i do when i have to perform based on material that is some years old. I indeed never use the new versions to play back older software or songs, but such an approach has a potential to let people who still are attached to their old plugs feel left behind. It isn't in fact, but version 9 suggest a breaking point in terms of backward compability. No more old plugs on our new software. It is in fact a breaking point, as normal usage of the beloved plugs is not possible (unless you use third party software) in the new version. For the upgraders this is probably a big "hmmmm".

- revamped plugs and new plugs: keep on developing. I like them.

- added content: even if i have most of the type of sounds more then 50 times, still this is quite an impressive addition. New content is always welcome, and the quality is very good. Also the new drum content is very impressive. Will make a new song with this. :-)

- performance and stability: for a 1.0 version ... very nice. Probably this is related to the simplified programming structure but this feels rock-solid.

- finally: some of the functions that were present in the older versions are still under development. For me, the ability to switch tracks on/off is the key improvement of the past years, but it is still buggy. That's sad. But i'm not someone who goes weeping around it, but i would like to get it up to the full working condition it needs to be in.

SO FWIW,
A quick customer feedback.
Within some days i will fill in the feedback survey with a more comprehensive feedback. :-)

kind regards,
R.
Cubase 10.5, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, P771zm, i7 4790S, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, 2x Samsung SSD850 +touch screen
Slave: none, will probably never be replaced because latest processors are powerfull enough
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb), Focusrite 18i20, behringer 16 ch mixer
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, Spectrasonics and a lot of others
hardware: S760, CD3000xl, SY77, studiologic 990, alesis Q88,

Clackett
New Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 6:19 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by Clackett »

I have (updated to v9) and after reading the comments on this thread I have to agree the recent offering is very, very poor. As previously stated the bugs are still evident, and as they say; some things never change (unfortunately) this seems true with "*Steinberg*". Oops, I spelt the name wrong, Sorry it’s a bug my end. Never mind, moving on...

As I was saying about *Steinberg*'s heralded workflow there are many features that users (like myself) have requested. We asked for, hoped for, shouted for and now we're at the screaming for stage.

Why do *Steinberg* (that pesky bug again eh?) refuse to consider the feature that customers (yes, that's the people, we the people, that that pay your wages - at the moment!) have 'screamed' for. I offer the implementation of 'Render in Place' as one such candidate. Great concept, but half baked. Want a mono render in place, use a work around cause we at *Steinberg* can't be bothered to provide a complete solution.

As asked before, what MIDI improvements have been made in this latest version? May I offer a guess – zero. Here’s another request, asked time and again, the snap to zero in midi pitch bend. For those of us that use pitch bend we have 0 to 16384 degrees to choose from. 'Zero' in fact is 8192. I wonder if the developers (who over the years, seem to be obsessed with audio features only) have never actually tried to draw MIDI pitch bends successfully, that end at 8192. Not 8191 nor 8193 but exactly 'zero' at 8192. ‘No’ I hear you say? ‘cause at *Steinberg* we’re only interested in audio; we ignore MIDI ‘cause it’s ‘old hat’.

I wonder if I am being harsh but as you, as a company who seemingly constantly refuses to open your blinkered eyes, still expect us to give you money in perpetuity. Wake up, there are other DAW’s out there who are looking more and more attractive to move to. It’ll only take 2 of Stienbergs ‘major’ updates and we’ll have more than enough to switch.

UPDATE: Seems like you're not allowed to spell Steinberg incorrectly. Shame their concern for correct implementation does not apply to their software.

User avatar
MikZak
New Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase 9 - Customer feedback survey

Post by MikZak »

Personally, I LOVE C9! It's (almost) all I've asked for. After being a Cubase user for more than 20 years I was on the verge of switching to Studio One just for the workflow enhancements. Now I don't need to. I have the 1 monitor workflow + all the great stuff Steinberg has provided for a number of years. The Lower Zone itself is well worth the upgrade. Perhaps it's just me but I don't really need new gadgets. The fact that Steinberg has started to focus on workflow rather than adding sugar is great and should be applauded!

That said, yes there is room for improvement, there always is.
PC with Windows 10 64-bit. CPU: i7 (4 GHz). RAM: 16GB. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. UR824. Midi Keyboard: Komplete Kontrol s61. Cubase Pro 10.5. Groove Agent 5. The Grand 3. Komplete 10 Ultimate. EZdrummer. SD3

Post Reply

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest